Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

timn posted:

Chill out dudes, sorry for raining on the pity party. I'm hardly a pro gamer but seriously the problem just not that bad. There are plenty of more annoying things in the game such that firebombs are just not the one to get this upset about.

Ah sick dude tell us what we SHOULD be getting annoyed about bro :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Qubee posted:

Firebomb spam and horse spawn camping (in that one map that's absolutely awful) are the two most unfun things about this game. I can live with the firebomb spam, cause I can at least make that somewhat enjoyable by hurling insults across the flames and leering at the enemy, but horse spawn camping is absolute trash. Amount of times I spawn in, and sprint to the front gate, only to be immediately run down by a horse (even though I'm keeping aware of them, it can be hard to avoid 3 horses). That map usually has me going Engineer just so I can put spikes down to make my team actually manage to escape spawn, it's ridiculous map design, and going Engineer isn't that fun for me.

Patch needs to come out that puts a timer on the restock chest, and makes horses less of a joykiller. You get assholes who sit on them allllll game and just go around lancing people to death. Saw some guy with 70 kills and 3 deaths and he'd spent the entire game on horseback. Just a total sapper of enjoyment, especially when it means you need to go engineer / billhook to counter that one gently caress, which stops you playing your dumb but oh so fun unga bunga build. How braindead do you have to be to sit on horseback all game? It seems so boring, unless they get raging erections from just killing people the same way over and over. I've given up trying to hit a charging horseman, they either bump me or kill me even if I try timing my swing properly, it's a total pain in the rear end.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm 100% sure that fixing Crossroads, specifically the spawns, is at the top of the Devs list of things to do. They know it sucks, and they're working on making it not suck.

I'm hoping that they also work on fixing horse hit boxes. They did something in the last patch that makes it way more likely that your stabs or swings will just go completely through the rider and horse, and it's easily the most annoying thing in the game right now, at least for me. I can have a rider stopped dead in his tracks, and I can put my billhook completely through him, and it's 50/50 that the hit will actually register.

Horses are annoying by themselves, but I've posted ad nauseam about how to kill them and how they're aren't that bad if people would actually swing at them once in awhile, but when half of those swings just don't work, suddenly the horses get bad again, and people stop trying to swing at all, and things get even worse, until we are overrun with a swarm of horse boys playing at their little game of online dressage with impunity.

Well gently caress, that was fast. Patch notes up. https://steamcommunity.com/games/629760/announcements/detail/1611641264670720737

cerebral fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 22, 2019

timn
Mar 16, 2010
One thing I don't like about firebombs is that if you accidentally step into the hitbox once its active you have very little reaction time before losing a ton of health. That's solved by paying better attention, but it feels a little punishing when you do get distracted and backpedal in by mistake.

Other than that small pet peeve, I don't see where and how firebombs can be abused to the degree some people think they can. When people see a lot of fire being laid out I think they vastly overestimate how threatening it actually is and how much good it's actually doing. For a simple example, clearing the enemy team off the point is only a short temporary advantage and gives them plenty of time to regroup while everybody is waiting to contest it. Trying to lock down an area for an extended period of time is not only more difficult than people seem to think but also not really that advantageous.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Fire should be a lot louder so you don't accidentally step backwards into dying.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Firebombs aren't going to stop a team from taking a point. What they do is split teams in half so you can gang up on them. Plus, if you huck them behind the enemy, it's very easy to force someone back into them where they either die or can't retreat from swings, limiting their footwork. It means a 6v6 van become two 6v3s with favorable terrain.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Just spent an entire round playing as a nude caveman peasant, very, very fun even though I got a total of 4 kills and kept getting parried off ledges whilst laughing to my death. What a truly accurate historical experience.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

quote:

- Added Katzbalger Executioner Sword skin

This is both cool and kind of annoying for the sword :spergin: in me. Katzbalgers were usually known to be short, choppy, one-handed sidearms. Yes, larger versions did exist, but the short ones were way more common.

I just want more arming sword skins, and that would have been a perfect opportunity. :saddowns:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Made a Rocky Balboa character, shirtless dude in boxer attire, all red, with nothing but his fists and a few bandages.

Went javelin for backup weapon against guys who annoy me or interrupt boxing matches.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Perestroika posted:

This is both cool and kind of annoying for the sword :spergin: in me. Katzbalgers were usually known to be short, choppy, one-handed sidearms. Yes, larger versions did exist, but the short ones were way more common.

I just want more arming sword skins, and that would have been a perfect opportunity. :saddowns:

Now your :spergin: has made me sad too, because I'd much prefer that new skin for the arming sword. The new skin for the Bastard Sword looks awesome, but it already had a good skin. I mean, I'm going to buy it, but still.

I'm not sure about the spawn changes on Crossroads, and I'm not going to form an opinion I want to defend after only playing half a match. They've moved the Blue spawn back, but it's protected. So you're probably not going to get run down the instant your spawn, but you have to cross a wide open space to get to the fort, forcing you to deal with horses at least a little bit. Also, nothing appeared to change in relation to horse and rider hit boxes, which makes me sad. I have a framerate problem on Crossroads where if I look towards the sun while on the middle level of the center platform things turn into a slideshow. That hasn't improved with the patch.

cerebral fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 22, 2019

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

80k? Welp, never seeing that in game.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Motherfucker posted:

80k? Welp, never seeing that in game.

The best part of that price is the people who can afford it don't use the Executioner's sword.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Okay nevermind about horses, I'm rocking a 3/3/1 Billhook build, and I'm just owning them. Took some practice but now I can stab and knock a dude off horseback 8 times out of 10, to the point where they spot me and actively avoid me on the field. Came top of the leaderboard too cause Billhook is insane at 1vX teamfights. Just stab unsuspecting people in the head from so far away.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Qubee posted:

Okay nevermind about horses, I'm rocking a 3/3/1 Billhook build, and I'm just owning them. Took some practice but now I can stab and knock a dude off horseback 8 times out of 10, to the point where they spot me and actively avoid me on the field. Came top of the leaderboard too cause Billhook is insane at 1vX teamfights. Just stab unsuspecting people in the head from so far away.

I love the billhook and it's my most used weapon by a long shot. If you REALLY REALLY want to punish a bunch of horses, take the toolbox and lay down a wall in front of a charging horse. The second the wall hits the ground it will stop the horse and you'll be able to tear the rider off at your leisure. Obviously this isn't something you'll want to run all the time, but I call my Billhook/Toolbox guy, "See You at the Crossroads", and I sing Bone Thugs the entire time I run it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I need to get better at the billhook and poleaxe still. They seem great but I've been spoiled by the halberd's reach. Any tips for use for either?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

cerebral posted:

I love the billhook and it's my most used weapon by a long shot. If you REALLY REALLY want to punish a bunch of horses, take the toolbox and lay down a wall in front of a charging horse. The second the wall hits the ground it will stop the horse and you'll be able to tear the rider off at your leisure. Obviously this isn't something you'll want to run all the time, but I call my Billhook/Toolbox guy, "See You at the Crossroads", and I sing Bone Thugs the entire time I run it.

This is genius, thank you, but drat is toolbox expensive. It's frustrating though cause as the match progresses, horse riders just steer clear of me which means I'm useless against protecting my team. However, in team fights, gently caress me is the billhook a beaut. Parry into riposte stab at a completely different guy engaged with a teammate. Headshots all day, and the +25 hp after a kill gives you insane longevity, and you can just backpedal into stabs to avoid most attacks and interrupt the enemy before they even finish their swings.

This was halfway through the match, we were doing really well, but lost it in the end cause Blue pushed back hard. I ended up on 30 kills or something. Almost all my kills at this point were during scrims in the middle checkpoint. I'd just sit on the outskirts and parry riposte stab all these other dudes.

Was an amazing match, especially when we held down the middle and had about 3 engineers reinforcing it to poo poo and placing ballista all over the place.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Made an Executioner's Sword build, 2/2/1 as always, picked up Scavenger just to try it out (Friendly and Tenacious I pretty much consider to be mandatory on Frontline).

I've never played with one of the big swords before. I hope it's not mandatory to helicopter like an idiot.

e: looks like it's all about slashing and not stabbing, ehhh I already have the battle axe for that, might switch to Greatsword.

e2: yeah, the Greatsword seems like a pretty good balance between stabbing and slashing.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 22, 2019

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I really need gold, but 45 minute games in Frontline only net me 300-500 gold (usually on the lower end). I want to customize all my dudes but I just don't have the cash. What's the fastest way to get gold, cause I swear Frontline doesn't make any sense whatsoever when it comes to how much gold you get. Top of the scoreboard, bottom of the scoreboard, win or lose, it just tosses a dice as to how much you get.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Ravenfood posted:

I need to get better at the billhook and poleaxe still. They seem great but I've been spoiled by the halberd's reach. Any tips for use for either?

I'm not the best with the poleaxe but I use the billhook almost exclusively. You'll want to treat it like a spear, it's got a powerful stab but it's barely better than the estoc for slashing. That's not to say you shouldn't swing with it, especially against lightly armored enemies, but stabbing people in the face is going to be what gets most of your kills. Also, use it in the alt-grip; that causes stabs to drag opponents closer to you rather than knocking them back and makes it easy to combo into accelerated stabs/swings that are hard to see coming.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

29-16-13, not a bad start for my Greatsword build.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Qubee posted:

I really need gold, but 45 minute games in Frontline only net me 300-500 gold (usually on the lower end). I want to customize all my dudes but I just don't have the cash. What's the fastest way to get gold, cause I swear Frontline doesn't make any sense whatsoever when it comes to how much gold you get. Top of the scoreboard, bottom of the scoreboard, win or lose, it just tosses a dice as to how much you get.

A 6-man Horde Mode lasts also about 30-45 but can get you over 1500+ if you win and actually pulled your weight during it, or you can hedge in a bigger server with more people that goes quicker but make between 700 and 1200 instead of the bigger bucks.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Some really good advice already on this page about the billhook. A few of my own tips, sorry for the duplication. Alt mode will mess people up with pulling on the stab, so I use that. Stab is your best friend, aim for the head, aim a little higher than you think you need to, prioritize people without helmets, you can pop them with one good shot. Stab/feint to a real stab to the face will catch people over and over and over again. If they learn, stab morph to overhead and you'll probably be able to land one in the top of their head. If that doesn't work, you can drag the overhead around their parry and have it hit their ankle, which will cause a lot of rage. For your swings you're aiming at two levels, head if you can, feet if you can't. Learn to identify people not wearing pants and punish them for it.

For two very similar weapons, I find switching between the Billhook and the Polearm to be difficult because of the timing differences. I can do it, and I do, frequently, but I really have to think about what I'm doing when I switch. Billhook is fast and frantic, Polearm is slower and more methodical, but can lay a big hurt on a lot of people.

You will hear a lot of pros say that the Billhook sucks, and if you're dueling against a bunch of other pros, they're right, but for Frontlines against a mass of people and horses, Billhook is awesome. It also has the added bonus of when people start bitching about you using it, people will make fun of them complaining about the loving Billhook of all things.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

They seem to have made Crossroads even worse than before, now blue has to walk across open fields to get to the ruins

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

The cleaver loving bangs. I bought that kleins messer skin and I was like 'I may as well make a loadout with this thing' and now I am hooked.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Motherfucker posted:

The cleaver loving bangs. I bought that kleins messer skin and I was like 'I may as well make a loadout with this thing' and now I am hooked.

It's an absolute panic machine. People lose their minds when you get in their faces with it, and if they manage to finally parry, they will almost always miss a quick undercut.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
You can't vote for the same map twice in a row anymore! Thank loving god!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The way to grind gold is to make an AFK macro that runs in circles or kicks once every second, then join one of the no-FF double/triple damage Horde servers and leave it running overnight. It's like Bitcoin for stylish people.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Phlegmish posted:

They seem to have made Crossroads even worse than before, now blue has to walk across open fields to get to the ruins

Now horse babies can actually do something productive on the map

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Both teams have this and it's like literally a 5 second run.

Unrelated, killing a dude by hitting him twice with the same javelin. :kiss:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

timn posted:

Both teams have this and it's like literally a 5 second run.

Unrelated, killing a dude by hitting him twice with the same javelin. :kiss:

my favorite kill ever was disarming a rapier guy, grabbing the rapier, throwing it at him, pulling it out of his chest, and then throwing it at him again

Qubee
May 31, 2013

megane posted:

my favorite kill ever was disarming a rapier guy, grabbing the rapier, throwing it at him, pulling it out of his chest, and then throwing it at him again

Wish you had a clip, that's loving incredible. I don't know how to edit streamable videos, but look at this vid of mine and ignore the horrible clicking, skip towards the end:

https://streamable.com/jz2ky

I full-on clip through the horseman and do no damage. 10/10 experience.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 23, 2019

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Seems performance is marginally improved with this patch. Marginally. Curious it isn't their top priority.

Orv
May 4, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

Seems performance is marginally improved with this patch. Marginally. Curious it isn't their top priority.

My impression is that they spent however long before launch massaging the game into an extremely good state of optimization, as evidenced by the "You can run this on a tin can" stuff that was going around then and since then like any patch to a game, the more they add the worst it gets again. C'est la vie.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Even though I know that javelins one shot T2 heads, it still feels like a delightful surprise every time.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I love the loud crack of a headshot instakill so much, I'm not great at javalin throws but sometimes I go out on a 3x javs build to let quantity make up for quality and that snap is so good

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I want to be an annoying gently caress with lots of javelins, what's the go to build for that? I never used ranged weapons and I usually play 3/3/2, but I guess that wouldn't be ideal

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

TorakFade posted:

I want to be an annoying gently caress with lots of javelins, what's the go to build for that? I never used ranged weapons and I usually play 3/3/2, but I guess that wouldn't be ideal

0/0/0 dodge, messer, two javs and huntsman. Huck your javelins, pick up a shield if you see one but throw it away when you rearm.

Javs are good but they're better at supporting a decent sword than they are as your only weapons. Like, every time I've used javs they've worked better as part of a build with an axe or something and you throw them when people dip to heal or when you see archers. If you didn't have a sword to threaten people you couldn't be in that position to make the best work with them. Plus people can kinda tell you don't have any way to parry and will home in on your unprotected buns

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

29-16-13, not a bad start for my Greatsword build.

Yeah, Greatsword is pretty great to the point where I've come to prefer it over the Zweihänder entirely. Just a tiny bit shorter, still very respectable damage, but in return a decent bit faster on the swing and of course much cheaper. Let's me run 1/1/1 (mostly for the full Landsknecht swag :v:) plus dodge and still have a point left over for bandages, which is pretty nice.

Also, has there been any word on the progress of the customization options? Wanna make a proper genderswapped Landsknecht version (Landsmagd?) to get nerds extra mad.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

After a night of playing with the changes to Crossroads, I feel confident in saying that the changes are rear end. If the intent was to balance the map, the changes fail miserably. Blue has an even harder time getting to the point now than they did before, and amazingly enough, they're MORE exposed to being mowed down by horses.

From the perspective of your average player, when you're Red, you spawn and there is a short distance to cross until you're faced with two inviting ramps, from there the point is directly in front of you, or you can go left, or right, and monkey your way up to the point from the sides, all while protected from all but the most acrobatic of horses except at the very beginning where you are briefly exposed.

When you're Blue you spawn in a little ruin and you're faced with sprint across No Man's Land where horses will come from every direction to mow you down. You can veer right and go through the break in the wall to try to attack the point at ground level, but once you're passed the outer wall, you face another open space where horses are waiting to stomp you before you get to the point. If you want to take the most direct route into the point, your option is a small door only large enough for one person to pass, an ideal choke point for Red to defend. If you want to go in a different way, you can, but it's going to take longer and you're going to be exposed to horses while you get there. If, once you spawn, you decide to go left and take the ladders, and I don't think I need to go into detail about how hosed Blue is trying to get up those ladders and across the bridge to the point.

None of the challenges that face Blue are insurmountable, but they are daunting. It takes longer to get to the point, it's less obvious where to go, you're exposed to horses for longer, and you're subject to at least three really nasty choke points. If you're Blue, you must deal with the horses or they will pick your team apart, if you're Red, enemy horses are best ignored. New Crossroads makes Old Tiaga look like a model of balance.

loving yikes.

cerebral fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jun 23, 2019

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Crossroads is truly fetid garbage unless you're bigly into horses or you want to spend the entire map fighting horsebois and getting a handful of kills. I've come not to mind the fight over the middle too much, despite the firebomb spam and general chokepoint camping. At least there are a bunch of different approaches and at times it can be fun and hectic. The horses still suck, though. If you're playing a normal melee build, it feels like there's an entirely unrelated horse minigame going on where your only role is to be an occasional unsuspecting target. Even 'allied' horses will contrive to bump into you and flinch you out of your attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Genuinely couldn't stand that map because it's just a horseman's paradise, but ever since I discovered how fun the billhook is, I honestly can't get enough of the rush of knocking one of those silly bastards off their horse. It just feels so satisfying. If you manage to convince an Engineer to place a bunch of spike traps too, it can funnel them into easier pathways for you to swing at them.

And when they start being weasley and avoiding you, I just go pop heads in big brawls. Backstep, stab and lunge, dead. However, the devs really need to hire proper map designers. Because all their maps are just a little bit (or a lottle bit) jank. And joining a game where a team has more tickets than you is usually a death sentence, comebacks are super difficult in this game for some reason. It's always one side completely trouncing the other, an even fight is weirdly rare. But ever since putting down my gamer glasses and just playing meme builds every now and then and just fighting for the fun of it and hilarious moments, battles that are a sure loss don't bother me anymore.