Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

stevewm posted:

When we last upgraded our server hardware for our main business line app, going with their cloud hosted option was going to be just over $220,000 over a 5 year period in addition to the support fees we already pay them. However going full tilt with all new hardware (2 of everything for redundancy), including a automatic natural gas powered generator and software licensing was $75k all in. We generally keep server hardware for 5-6 years. Even if you add in any maintenance costs (for the generator) and power costs, it was going to come no where near $220k over 5 years. The choice was obvious for us.

At $75k I'm guessing that redundancy is in a single datacenter. If your company thinks that $130k is not worth it to protect against regional disaster outages, that's a fine business decision to make. There's definitely plenty of companies that go broke either doing a straight lift-and-shift to a cloud provider, or going hog wild on SaaS stuff but there are some benefits that aren't priced into that comparison. If you serve a global user base and need multi-region endpoints and redundancy the cost starts to look much closer, especially if you don't already have global colo space.

If you already have the staff and space to support just buying your own hardware it makes a lot of sense but I'm not sure I'd recommend someone looking at a greenfield environment go that direction. The place I work started out as a 100% cloud company and spent about 5 years trying to shift to a hybrid setup with our own hardware in colo DCs and we recently gave up on it. We cut our infra spend in half by selling all our servers and getting out of all our DCs and focusing on just being smarter about our cloud spend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Data Graham posted:

“Please advise” however can gently caress right off.

There are infinitely many other ways to say it, especially multiple times in the same email
"Please advise" is a great way to shift all the blame onto the poor fucker who replies TBH.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I've had problems coming up with alternate ways of saying "please advise"

At one point I started just leaving it out and just sending an e-mail to SMEs saying "hey, X is broken". But I started having problems with the SME's ignoring my e-mail, being a smartass and saying "well you didn't tell me what you wanted to do about it so I ignored it :smug:". The closest I've come to a polite way to say "FIX YOUR poo poo" is "Please investigate/escalate accordingly" but it just feels weird and it's a lot of words to say essentially nothing.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jun 21, 2019

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I use "please advise" fairly liberally and every single time I do the meaning it's intended to carry is "go back, get your poo poo together, then come back with what needs to be done but also I would deeply enjoy not being advised, ever."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Almost every context I've seen it in it just means "please tell me X".

So I'm like "Hey do you know ___" or "Could you let me know ____" or "Drop me an email about ___ when you can" or "What is _____?" or whatever

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Data Graham posted:

Almost every context I've seen it in it just means "please tell me X".

So I'm like "Hey do you know ___" or "Could you let me know ____" or "Drop me an email about ___ when you can" or "What is _____?" or whatever

None of those have the unspoken snideness of "please advise". It's the business appropriate version of "bless your heart".

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Mostly I use it for shorthand rather than spelling out all the details I need on a common request to a vendor, rather than a snide intention.

If I want to be snide, I insert the phrase "would you kindly ____" beforehand and hope they've played bioshock.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah see I'll have it in the following context:

quote:

Hi Fuckup,

This is how I understand you to have hosed up. Here are the ways in which you have hosed up:
<bullet>
<bullet>
<bullet>
Please advise if this is incorrect.

Regards,
Arquinsiel.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What I unrelatedly like is how "kindly" has that snide overtone in US or British English, like "Would you KINDLY keep it down in here"

So every time I see "kindly revert with any questions" I have to remind myself that's not the intention

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Renegret posted:

At one point I started just leaving it out and just sending an e-mail to SMEs saying "hey, X is broken". But I started having problems with the SME's ignoring my e-mail, being a smartass and saying "well you didn't tell me what you wanted to do about it so I ignored it :smug:". The closest I've come to a polite way to say "FIX YOUR poo poo" is "Please investigate/escalate accordingly" but it just feels weird and it's a lot of words to say essentially nothing.

"Please address"

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Ghostlight posted:

I use "please advise" fairly liberally and every single time I do the meaning it's intended to carry is "go back, get your poo poo together, then come back with what needs to be done but also I would deeply enjoy not being advised, ever."

I use it as code for "You're withholding vital information I need to make something happen, dumbass."

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
For the desktop deployment folks out there, I really hope you've been re-imaging or removing the OEM tools: https://safebreach.com/Post/OEM-Software-Puts-Multiple-Laptops-At-Risk

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

nexxai posted:

For the desktop deployment folks out there, I really hope you've been re-imaging or removing the OEM tools: https://safebreach.com/Post/OEM-Software-Puts-Multiple-Laptops-At-Risk

Guess who is scheduled to get a new Dell next week, after they have been imaging them for the last few weeks?

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Renegret posted:

"let me know when [it's fixed]"

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I bought some switches on ebay to build a home lab.

One of the switches had a nice little MOTD notifying me that it was property of the Arizona Attorney General. It had no password on it.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Renegret posted:

I bought some switches on ebay to build a home lab.

One of the switches had a nice little MOTD notifying me that it was property of the Arizona Attorney General. It had no password on it.

Having worked at the AZ state capital, I’m completely not surprised by that.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
So what I'm hearing is that the Chinese and/or Russians almost definitely have complete access to the computer systems of the Arizona AG's office and probably the entire AZ government.

Edit: Also the janitor in the AG's office.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 22, 2019

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

One of my users has typed the phrase "HEAVY SIGH..." into a ticket because I told her that she needed to use a Microsoft-specific password to access her MFA-enabled account and "it's not intuitive." I know it's not intuitive, but if you actually listened to me whenever we went through setup together, you'd have been ready to "deal with this poo poo on a Monday morning."

Another one of my users is threatening to die because she can't scan her receipts. The phrase "I'm so over my life" has been used, as has "why is this happening to me."

The company president's Mac has broken. I have been asked to drop everything else on my plate so I can assist him.

The company just got hit by a phishing scam that seems to have reached about 90% of our mailboxes.

I'm the only support personnel in the office today.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

my cat is norris posted:

The company president's Mac has broken. I have been asked to drop everything else on my plate so I can assist him.

The company just got hit by a phishing scam that seems to have reached about 90% of our mailboxes.

If it helps, these are related.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

The Fool posted:

I kinda hope that ends up being the case because it might finally convince him to let us set him up with 2FA or MFA. Right now it looks like one of our sales people fell for a fake voicemail attachment, but that doesn't mean Prez wasn't caught by the same trick.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

The Fool posted:

Just came to post this.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

my cat is norris posted:

One of my users has typed the phrase "HEAVY SIGH..." into a ticket because I told her that she needed to use a Microsoft-specific password to access her MFA-enabled account and "it's not intuitive." I know it's not intuitive, but if you actually listened to me whenever we went through setup together, you'd have been ready to "deal with this poo poo on a Monday morning."

This goes to the team that designed/implemented it as feedback and, hopefully, future improvement.

my cat is norris posted:

Another one of my users is threatening to die because she can't scan her receipts. The phrase "I'm so over my life" has been used, as has "why is this happening to me."

Send that to HR.

my cat is norris posted:

So do it and let the world burn while you do. President gets top priority.

my cat is norris posted:

This is probably related to why the company president's Mac has broken. And the wide-scale resolution is probably above simple helpdesk work anyway.

my cat is norris posted:

I'm the only support personnel in the office today.

Good thing all you're doing today is helping with the President's Mac.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

ConfusedUs posted:

This goes to the team that designed/implemented it as feedback and, hopefully, future improvement.

I expect Microsoft to make this change immediately. :colbert:

ConfusedUs posted:

Good thing all you're doing today is helping with the President's Mac.

:smuggo:

Lunch is over, back to the grindstone.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

my cat is norris posted:

I expect Microsoft to make this change immediately. :colbert:

2FA can be pretty much transparent for users that are office based - you just whitelist your office locations and they won't see the prompts. If your company chose not to subscribe to a tier of service that offers this then they've made the conscious decision to accept short term pain in the initial deployment in exchange for lower ongoing costs, and the complaints can be collected and presented to the relevant decision makers so they can have a think about whether they want to continue without some sort of adaptive two-factor auth.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
We whitelist our office for all Duo 2fa requests, with the exception of our password manager app. It's a little annoying, but it's only a slight inconvenience.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

We use Azure MFA Server and whitelist our office via a custom ADFS claims rule.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Thanks Ants posted:

2FA can be pretty much transparent for users that are office based - you just whitelist your office locations and they won't see the prompts. If your company chose not to subscribe to a tier of service that offers this then they've made the conscious decision to accept short term pain in the initial deployment in exchange for lower ongoing costs, and the complaints can be collected and presented to the relevant decision makers so they can have a think about whether they want to continue without some sort of adaptive two-factor auth.

"Hey DRJ, I was thinking, wouldn't it be cheaper to get rid of our Windows Enterprise licenses and just use the OEM ones we get with the machines?"
"I know you're the CIO, and I know I can't tell you off to your face, but please never suggest that again."

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've experienced so many occasions where coworkers have delivered exactly what they said they were going to do only for the end customer to be underwhelmed by the whole thing and asking "why can't it do x". The process now is to aim for the best possible option and then let people tell you that the budget won't stretch to that (rather than making that decision for them), before finding something less capable but more acceptable in terms of pricing, explain the differences, and then hang onto the proof that you did originally suggest exactly what they're now wishing they had.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

We whitelist our office for all Duo 2fa requests, with the exception of our password manager app. It's a little annoying, but it's only a slight inconvenience.

Okta and RDM?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
https://blog.cloudflare.com/how-verizon-and-a-bgp-optimizer-knocked-large-parts-of-the-internet-offline-today/

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Why am I not surprised Verizon was involved with this?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Merv Burger posted:

Why am I not surprised Verizon was involved with this?

Because it was them, Comcast, AT&T, or Spectrum.

You had 1/4 odds there.

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

I actually did something like that the first time I ever saw "kindly revert" in a ticket. I had just made a hardware change and they replied to me with "kindly revert on what has been done" and I thought the "on" was a typo or something, so I happily went and undid the hardware changes. :downs: They were furious, and got even more mad when I stated that they asked me to revert what had been done, and I did exactly that.

Luckily my manager was chill and smoothed it over but cripes that was a learning experience. :doh:

My first job that had me touching thousands of VM's daily mysteriously had a vmname123h appear after 4 months of routinely going about my list of servers to poke. I'd never seen it before, I asked my team mates if they knew, they didn't, I asked my team lead if he knew, he didn't, I asked our project manager if he knew, he didn't, and I attempted to ask the Big Boss about it but never got a response. After doing all the prep work waiting for a reply from the Big Boss, PM said to just go ahead and process it. "It wouldn't be in our queue if its live production, Big Boss would said something if the H was important".

About 4 minutes after I turned it off, Big Boss storms in furious about the Host I just killed. It was during our Q3 Production Freeze too, the overtime bill to restore it was astronomical- Part of my job was murdering LUNs. CYA was basically my religion at the time(First job at a $huuuuuuge company), so all my questions to coworkers/team lead/project manager/big boss were promptly presented. Pretty wild to kill a Super Important Host and have no repercussions. A month later I was made Team Lead.

I knew what a host was, just not how they were named. :downs:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

iospace posted:

Because it was them, Comcast, AT&T, or Spectrum.

You had 1/4 odds there.

Those are funny ways of spelling CenturyLink.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are Windstream big enough to cause some sort of routing disaster? Because they're certainly competent enough.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Wow, CloudFlare with a giant "gently caress you, assholes" in the public realm. I love it.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The "Still waiting for contact 8 hours later" bit at the end was very :discourse:

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Reallly glad I had planned PTO the day the literal internet decided to poo poo the bed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

my cat is norris posted:

Forward that one to HR and flag it as a self-harm concern if you're bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

klosterdev posted:

Reallly glad I had planned PTO the day the literal internet decided to poo poo the bed.

Cloud2Butt!