Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

Cuntellectual posted:

It's a new generation, it's about time for Devil Survivor 3!

If they fired the artist who did the first 2 DeSu games I'd give the series another chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They will hire him back and I will be happy

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Aside from some physics-related issues in the art direction I actually really liked a lot of the character design in the DeSu series

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

SoR Blaze posted:

If they fired the artist who did the first 2 DeSu games I'd give the series another chance

Suzuhito Yasuda did it the character designs, and they're great.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

People were discussing the good music in PQ2 earlier and it's really been great to see them incubating new talent on that series. I love Meguro, but dude's not gonna be around forever.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

tbh your feelings on his horniness aside, I think Yasuda is a pretty good illustrator in general, it's just his dialogue portraits that look awkward. Something similar happened with the new fire emblem, so maybe artists that don't generally do videogames have issues with the limitations or requests they're given, idk.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Arist posted:

People were discussing the good music in PQ2 earlier and it's really been great to see them incubating new talent on that series. I love Meguro, but dude's not gonna be around forever.

Q2 wasn't Meguro?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It was Kitajoh and he's also who composed the previous game. He's the other go to composer they have when Meguro can't be used and usually does the spinoffs and a few tracks in some of the main games.

Iirc he did the new music for Ultimax as well since Meguro didn't do that despite doing the original Arena.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't know if he's completely absent from the soundtrack, but the battle themes at least are Atsushi Kitajoh.

e: "new" talent, whatever. People who aren't Meguro.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I'm pretty sure Meguro didn't do the SMT4 and 4A soundtracks and those were also pretty good.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ryota Kozuka did the SMTIV and Apocalypse OSTs and he's been around since P4. The general Atlus sound team for almost the last decade has been Meguro, Kitajoh, Kozuka, Toshiki Konishi, and Kenichi Tsuchiya.

Meguro and Tsuchiya have both been around the longest working on the soundtracks for a lot of Atlus' games since the original Persona on the PS1 back in 97. Tsuchiya also worked with Meguro on SMT3 and the DDS' OSTs as well to give you an idea of what else he's worked on and he was one of the leads on the P2 OSTs doing a lot of the battle and cutscene music. Kozuka and Kitajoh both got brought on around the same time: Kitajoh with the Growlanser that preceded P4's release and Kozuka with P4. Both Kozuka and Kitajoh are the two other names that are credited as working on the P4 OST aside from Meguro. If you've played an Atlus game that Meguro didn't do the osts for after P4, these two more than likely had a large hand in their soundtracks. Finally, there's Toshiki Konishi who got brought in for the P2IS PSP soundtrack and has been part of the team since. Konishi hasn't really been in a lead spot for an OST over, he's mostly worked with Kitajoh and Kozuka on games they've been on and been a major hand in those.

Also I completely forgot Meguro did do some songs on PQ1, but it was a lot less than what Kitajoh and Konishi did so it's easier to miss.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
They did some of the remixes for the P2 special CDs with a real arena feel. Makes me wish we'd gotten the P2 crew as Arena DLC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wzwHk8aM7Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLNdU2K4xZ0

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also each one of them did a newly arranged track at the end of each game's disc on the 20th Anniversary Soundtrack and of course Tsuchiya rearranged Maya's theme for like the fourth time (Not that I blame him, he did a good job making that theme)

If you wanna hear the general difference in their styles this isn't a bad way to do it aside from just outright comparing how certain songs are made by them from different games

Kozuka got Legends Awaken from P1
I already mentioned Tsuchiya doing Maya's Theme again
Kitajoh did Mass Destruction on the P3 disc
Konishi did Your Affection from P4
The P1 Arrange of Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There was almost definitely done by Meguro but he is not personally credited like the others are though he oversaw the entire 20th anniversary collection's creation and arrangements and literally came into the company with P1 so there's 0 chance he's not responsible for this

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Man, I loving love the P1 ost. It's so loving good.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Some of my favorite tracks are from the original P1 and P2 OSTs, it knew how to do moody piano pieces like nothing else

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I thought the whole "people won't every shut up about putting literally every game on the Switch" was a meme but jeez

Oh sweet really looking forward to bikini karate babes and septerra core on switch.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Ka0 posted:

septerra core on switch.

Holy poo poo I haven't thought about that game in 15 years. I'd totally play a Switch port, the character designs were terrible but it wasn't a bad RPG if I recall.

edit: haha holy poo poo the soundtrack was Bungie's Marty O'Donnell. God dammit Nintendo, where's our Septerra Core port?

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 23, 2019

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

So I used to spend a bunch of spare time playing this old MMO before it got canned and now I adminned a fair chunk of it's new life, SMT: IMAGINE, now reimagined, finally got some, if small recognition with a article on fanbyte, here: https://www.fanbyte.com/features/keeping-demon-busting-alive-the-story-of-shin-megami-tensei-reimagine/

Some of the amount of dedication on show here is insane and I love the community for it. Granted it's a buggy-rear end game with poor developer and publisher decisions, but it had some very unique and interesting gameplay ideas.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm confident saying that IMAGINE rules and all I've seen is that the Alice "mount" is just her taking you by the hand and skipping with you and so the boost of speed is just you running to keep up with her. An SMT IMAGINE in this world of Final Fantasy 14 would be perfect

https://twitter.com/kokorogensou/status/895760123376939011?lang=en

Anyway, yesterday was Persona 2's 20 year anniversary. thank you best game

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

I'm confident saying that IMAGINE rules and all I've seen is that the Alice "mount" is just her taking you by the hand and skipping with you and so the boost of speed is just you running to keep up with her. An SMT IMAGINE in this world of Final Fantasy 14 would be perfect

https://twitter.com/kokorogensou/status/895760123376939011?lang=en

Anyway, yesterday was Persona 2's 20 year anniversary. thank you best game

and Cu Chulainn gives you a princess carry, like this:

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Wow the mount game in SMT Imagine is off the charts, modern MMOs got nothing!!

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Samael posted:

So I used to spend a bunch of spare time playing this old MMO before it got canned and now I adminned a fair chunk of it's new life, SMT: IMAGINE, now reimagined, finally got some, if small recognition with a article on fanbyte, here: https://www.fanbyte.com/features/keeping-demon-busting-alive-the-story-of-shin-megami-tensei-reimagine/

Some of the amount of dedication on show here is insane and I love the community for it. Granted it's a buggy-rear end game with poor developer and publisher decisions, but it had some very unique and interesting gameplay ideas.

Wow, IMAGINE is still going? I played a ton of it while it was live as the magic gunner class, but I eventually dropped it for some reason or another. Never did get to see the official service end.

Another good IMAGINE mount iirc was Decarabia. It latched onto your head and you dangled around in the air as you moved.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
My favorite part of Imagine was the world design. There's something about the PS2-era Megaten settings that really gets to me that I can't put my finger on, and Imagine was definitely the take on it that looked the sharpest.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Cleretic posted:

My favorite part of Imagine was the world design. There's something about the PS2-era Megaten settings that really gets to me that I can't put my finger on, and Imagine was definitely the take on it that looked the sharpest.

to me there's something about the kinda muddy, matte way PS2 JRPGs look that absolutely meshed with the SMT vibe, in Nocturne and in DDS both

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I think it's also the way that dialogue is framed in Nocturne that makes it so creepy, with huge amounts of backlight that really silhouette a single figure that's just facing straight at you

It really feels like you're confronting someone when you talk to them

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The worlds of PS2 megaten just feels so much more abstract. Really inspired settings and rules of the world that just feel surreal. Tokyo and the Junkyard feel like believable and suffocating purgatories that you want to escape them.

Just got a copy of DDS1 and I'm excited to finally play it, but now I think I should play again Persona 2 for the 20th anniversary help.....

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Nocturne gets just artsy enough with its cutscenes to leave a good impression.

god i hope smt5 isn't just gonna be character portraits talking to each other for 90% of the cutscenes

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Expect My Mom posted:

Just got a copy of DDS1 and I'm excited to finally play it, but now I think I should play again Persona 2 for the 20th anniversary help.....

Both are Good ChoicesTM, so you can't really go wrong.

Alternatively, just do both. :v:

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
When I first played Nocturne and DDS I found them both deeply unsettling, and I actually think SMT 1 and 2 are kind of scary in their way. I hope SMT5 recaptures some of that and also ever comes out or gets mentioned again.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Yes!!

Nocturne has dream spookiness,
SMT1 and 2 have this awesome, bizarre feeling from the vague sprite art and minimalist animation. The first couple hours of 1, with the dream, your dog becoming a cyberdemon wolf, and your mom getting eaten and never mentioned again are all rad as hell

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Merilan posted:

to me there's something about the kinda muddy, matte way PS2 JRPGs look that absolutely meshed with the SMT vibe, in Nocturne and in DDS both

Yeah, absolutely.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
the limitations of the PS2 allowed for a very bleak, flat look, which happens to synergize pretty much perfectly with Kaneko's artstyle and the overall mood for both the Digital Devil Saga games and Nocturne.

Especially Nocturne.

It worked in the Raidou games to a lesser extent, as those were more crazy pulp adventure, but the engine still did good work.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If they were to ever remake those PS2 games, I bet they will Persona-fy every character.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Mraagvpeine posted:

If they were to ever remake those PS2 games, I bet they will Persona-fy every character.

what does that mean

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
weird facial tans on everyone

Dragonatrix posted:

Both are Good ChoicesTM, so you can't really go wrong.

Alternatively, just do both. :v:
hmmm....they are both two part stories.....

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

DDS is a comparatively short game for an SMT title, unless you want to do the postgame fights or NG+ boss which basically just involves hours and hours of grinding up to max level/getting the right skills

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

what does that mean
Well

Expect My Mom posted:

weird facial tans on everyone
...that, and basically what they did with Persona 2 and how they changed the artwork to make everyone look more anime.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Persona 2 didn't change the in-game artwork aside from extending the portraits down from their shoulders to their chests to be more in line with P3 and P4's portrait style

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

honestly i'm still baffled by the decision not to update the character portraits in persona 1 portable, because it was kaneko at his thick line ugly cel shading worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
fighting the Demifiend in DDS does sound sick but probably not worth the Gamer Cred.

there hasn't been a good finished persona 2 LP on this site, right? Maybe I'll just Experience Persona 2 again rather than Play it