Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Is there some goofy legal poo poo like the Fantastic Four / Xmen + Fox contract, or the Spider-man + Sony contract where @duneauthor just needs to write a garbage book every 5 years to perpetually renew guardianship of the license or something?

He probably has a whole thing figuring out how long each book will sell and when sales drop they crank out a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is Leto's face actually giant? I know his body is giant but in every depiction of him I've seen he also has a huge face.
Also lol at the hebrew cover of God Emperor:

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Temaukel posted:

Also lol at the hebrew cover of God Emperor:

There was me, that is Leto, and my two droogs, that is the Duncan and Moneo, and we sat below the festival city of Onn trying to make up our rassoodocks what to do with the evening.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Anne Frank Funk posted:

There was me, that is Leto, and my two droogs, that is the Duncan and Moneo, and we sat below the festival city of Onn trying to make up our rassoodocks what to do with the evening.

spice > blue soup-like melange in children of dune > starwars blue milk > Moloko Plus, synthemesc, drencrom, and vellocet.
:thunk:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Post God Emperors and the Leto II-est images you got

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is the closest to my head canon.

I have this version of the cover so maybe that's why I'm so bothered with the giant face thing:

e: :lol:

Temaukel fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 23, 2019

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

a kitten posted:

Post God Emperors and the Leto II-est images you got

The Sea Patrol / Dune crossover we've all been waiting for

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Leto’s face is his original face (minus skull), it should be the original size. I do have a soft spot for mega face as pictured in the old cover art but it doesn’t agree with the book.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Tree Bucket posted:

The Sea Patrol / Dune crossover we've all been waiting for

I was thinking more "new season of Xavier Renegade Angel?"

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
:question::question::question::question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu4nvv93T30

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Leto in his library: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1dRBWyf6z8

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
thank god I didn't read any of the sequels or prequels because holy moly those pictures

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Holy poo poo, I'd forgotten about this video

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Every time I check in on this thread I thirst for another casting recap in which the depiction of Hasimir Fenring in Lynch's dune is the same as the aptly named Sir Not-Appearing-in-this-Film of Holy Grail fame.

I see that chainmail coif babby and have a hearty lol

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love this one too because of the atrophied legs positioning, making him stay horizontal on his belly like he's swimming :3:. Look at him, he's having the time of his life(lives)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Temaukel posted:

I love this one too because of the atrophied legs positioning, making him stay horizontal on his belly like he's swimming :3:. Look at him, he's having the time of his life(lives)

Oh he is!

Just dogpaddlin' thru the centuries

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
do sandworms poop? asking for a friend.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

They poo poo drugs

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
do u think that our Lord The God Emperor gets embarrassed when he poos out spice eggs in front of Moneo??? sorry if this ofends anyone but i thought it was a funny thing haha. and i would like to know if any of you have any pics of Leto pooping an egg while he looks nervous or embarrassed i just want to see it for a few laughs haha. another thing i am wondering is what do you think the eggs smell like haha im just curious for laughs haha i would like to smell them

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/IDEASOFICE_FIRE/status/1048644726524665857

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0aqOhDotP0

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Temaukel posted:

do u think that our Lord The God Emperor gets embarrassed when he poos out spice eggs in front of Moneo??? sorry if this ofends anyone but i thought it was a funny thing haha. and i would like to know if any of you have any pics of Leto pooping an egg while he looks nervous or embarrassed i just want to see it for a few laughs haha. another thing i am wondering is what do you think the eggs smell like haha im just curious for laughs haha i would like to smell them

Man, it's a tragedy that Frank died before internet fetish chat rooms really took off. He'd be all over this kind of poo poo.

Also its cinnamon. That's always consistently said.

---

Can someone remind me why the Harkonnens and the Emperor conspired to wipe out House Atreides? The Harkonnens already had stewardship of Dune, and shipping the military equipment to Dune to kill the Atreides cost something like 50 years worth of spice harvesting profits in Guild tariffs and bribes. So, what was the big benefit of doing this?

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 24, 2019

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Reading descriptions of Hwi Noree and how Leto sees her and analyzes her thought process, she's clearly a prototype for an anime waifu.

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 24, 2019

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Wouldn't no-ships be at great risk of getting telefragged since other no-ships/any remaining Navigator-operated heighliners would have no way of knowing if there was already something at the endpoint of their jump?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Can someone remind me why the Harkonnens and the Emperor conspired to wipe out House Atreides? The Harkonnens already had stewardship of Dune, and shipping the military equipment to Dune to kill the Atreides cost something like 50 years worth of spice harvesting profits in Guild tariffs and bribes. So, what was the big benefit of doing this?

quote:

Thufir Hawat, his father’s Master of Assassins, had explained it: their mortal enemies, the Harkonnens, had been on Arrakis eighty years, holding the planet in quasi-fief under a CHOAM Company contract to mine the geriatric spice, melange. Now the Harkonnens were leaving to be replaced by the House of Atreides in fief-complete—an apparent victory for the Duke Leto. Yet, Hawat had said, this appearance contained the deadliest peril, for the Duke Leto was popular among the Great Houses of the Landsraad.

“A popular man arouses the jealousy of the powerful,” Hawat had said.

The emperor is concerned about Leto’s prominence in the Landsraad and wants him dead, but can’t move against him openly because it would provoke the Landsraad to rise up. Baron Harkonnen wants to destroy the Atreides to increase his prestige and power by dunking a rival publicly so that every other noble knows he’s hardcore, and we later learn the emperor has promised to reward him with a permanent CHOAM directorship, which makes him way wealthier than just being the guy who administrates spice mining ops for CHOAM, on top of presumably getting the same kind of “fief-complete” arrangement that Leto was given. Therefore Shaddam gives Leto the fief, an honor he can’t refuse, knowing that Leto will suspect he is being trapped and either flee the empire into exile, or walk right into the trap.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also the Atreides were very close to making a fighting force as professional as the Sardaukar

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Because Jessica was teaching their troops Weirding Way kung fu?

Also, speaking of Leto II, I was messing around with Pokemon Fusion and got this:

https://pokemon.alexonsager.net/122/130

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Wouldn't no-ships be at great risk of getting telefragged since other no-ships/any remaining Navigator-operated heighliners would have no way of knowing if there was already something at the endpoint of their jump?
Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I don’t think this was happening. Jessica’s abilities are hidden from basically everyone in the Atreides household. Thufir basically thinks “eh I could take her” right up until the moment she kicks the stuffing out of him with Voice. I don’t think he would do that if he knew she had sick nasty roundhouse kick powers. She teaches the Fremen her martial arts after she and Paul fall in with them, and she probably taught Paul some stuff, but I think the average Atreides trooper is more likely getting taught stuff from the playbooks of Hawat, Halleck or Idaho. I think that a popular noble amassing a staff like that to lead what seems to be a regular army is probably going to be enough to set Shaddam’s alarm bells ringing — the Harkonnen army by contrast seems like it’s just a bunch of schmuck conscripts.

She also doesn’t sit in on the Atreides war councils or anything. I think as far as anyone except Paul and maybe kind of Leto knows, she’s just there to host dinner parties and manage the household and is of no military importance.

skasion fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 24, 2019

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

DOOK LEETOH

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

D. Ebdrup posted:

Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

I was just about to google that quote for accuracy to reply but you got there well before I did, bravo :haw:

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

skasion posted:

I don’t think this was happening. Jessica’s abilities are hidden from basically everyone in the Atreides household. Thufir basically thinks “eh I could take her” right up until the moment she kicks the stuffing out of him with Voice. I don’t think he would do that if he knew she had sick nasty roundhouse kick powers. She teaches the Fremen her martial arts after she and Paul fall in with them, and she probably taught Paul some stuff, but I think the average Atreides trooper is more likely getting taught stuff from the playbooks of Hawat, Halleck or Idaho. I think that a popular noble amassing a staff like that to lead what seems to be a regular army is probably going to be enough to set Shaddam’s alarm bells ringing — the Harkonnen army by contrast seems like it’s just a bunch of schmuck conscripts.

Yeah, this sounds right. One gets the feeling that the Baron didn't really want commanders to be too clever. He liked them to have expensive vices and he kills them or sends them to die often (despite his insistence that he doesn't waste talent). He was planning to kill Piter shortly after the interview with Leto. He didn't even break his stride (or wobble-hop, whichever) when Umman Kudu died - he just promoted the first guy he saw afterward. The Duke wants first-rate combat troops, the Baron just wants grunts. Preferably, grunts without any ambition.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

the essential philosophical thesis of house atreides is to be conspicuously noble, brave, and self-sacrificing, thus attracting the admiration and service of the talented.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

No, the alliance with the Fremen.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

priznat posted:

I was just about to google that quote for accuracy to reply but you got there well before I did, bravo :haw:
There's a non-zero chance that I've basically got the entire 5 books memorized to the letter from reading them/listening to the radio plays way too many times.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

skasion posted:

I think as far as anyone except Paul and maybe kind of Leto knows, she’s just there to host dinner parties and manage the household and is of no military importance.

Bernie Gesserit Waifu: "Decorum, my brethren"

Bernie Gesserit Waifu: *below table, Voice stranglehold on multiple nutsack*

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

No, the alliance with the Fremen.

It was earlier than that, no?

quote:

"The Padishah Emperor turned against House Atreides because the Duke's Warmasters Gurney Halleck and Duncan Idaho had trained a fighting force -- a small fighting force -- to within a hair as good as the Sardaukar. Some of them were even better. And the Duke was in a position to enlarge his force, to make it every bit as strong as the Emperor's."

The alliance with the Fremen didn't happen until after the Emperor turned against House Atreides and sent it to Dune. So they'd managed to train small numbers of almost-Sardaukar prior to meeting any Fremen.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Yeah, you're right. I haven't read Dune in a while and I really should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

That makes me wonder — does the emperor actually know that there’s 10 million Fremen, or did the Kyneses manage to keep that from him? The bit where Fenring nearly loses his poo poo when Baron H naively suggests turning Arrakis into a prison planet makes me feel like Fenring at least has some sense that the Fremen could rival the Sardaukar. If Fenring knows it (and after all he lived there) then surely Shaddam must know it. But if Shaddam knew the makings of an army to rival his own were on Arrakis, it was insanely foolhardy of him to send Leto there, even with the expectation of quickly killing him.