Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
The shittiest possible cyberpunk dystopia is lonely nerds debating lightbulb firmware on the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

The shittiest possible cyberpunk dystopia is lonely nerds debating lightbulb firmware on the internet

enjoy this, soon it will be the same debate just around a trash can fire instead

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I thought people were joking about the lightbulbs

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Trash can reset procedures

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

taqueso posted:

you joke but yet....

quote:

Troubleshooting iTouchless Automatic Stainless Steel Trash Can

Our trash cans are equipped with a smart chip that is programmed to open and close specified distances. Sometime these distances can be/are changed when the lid has sensed an obstacle upon opening or when it has been manually closed multiple times when 'on'. This also happens when batteries are changed without the lid being first powered 'off'.

You can reset the lid using the following procedure:
1. Turn the lid 'off', using the switch located at the back of the lid and remove the batteries or the ac adapter. Note: Batteries and an ac adapter should never be used simultaneously as this will overheat the unit.

**If the lid is staying open, does not close all the way or the green light is constantly on or the lid randomly opens, remove the open/close sticker from the sensor area and dab the area underneath with a microfiber cloth. This should remove most moisture that has built up under the sticker causing the lid to stay open.

2. Allow the trash can lid to rest overnight in a dark, dry place while the power drains and the sensor dries.

3. Following the resting period, fully open and close the lid 15 times manually at a semi-slow speed.

4. Check to make sure that the clear protective seal covering the sensor has been removed from the sensor area and that the sensor is free from any dust or grease.

5. Insert new, brand name batteries, or re-connect the ac adapter and turn the lid back on.

6. Press the manual open and close buttons twice and make sure that the lid fully opens and closes

sorry honey dont open the pantry tonight im letting the trash can rest so i can reset it in the morning

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bushiz posted:

but if you want to have lights that change color
See this is where your logic breaks down

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Maybe we can tart it up? I'll draft up a backstory where the lightbulb owner rescues a prostitute from a cyborg gang.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Trabisnikof posted:

just use dmx problem has been solved for decades

cheap trick for those of us who cant afford drugs: color the bulb with a marker & wait some hours before leaving the room, now your vision is tinted a complementary color!

maybe spin around some too idk

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/dril/status/1141735072455778305

smarxist has issued a correction as of 01:54 on Jun 23, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

taqueso posted:

Before you go through the 3 hour trash can reset procedure, try de-fragmenting it first. It takes 10 minutes and might solve your problem without having to stand there opening and closing the trash can every 8 seconds.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bushiz posted:

My entire professional life revolves around complicated lights and I just got done spending a week dealing with the sort of lights that have 70 different control variables so I understand my brain is hella weird about this but if you want to have lights that change color this is the price you gotta pay.

:smug:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Splicer posted:

See this is where your logic breaks down

lights that vary colour temperature over the day are great, and your brain will thank you

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Subjunctive posted:

lights that vary colour temperature over the day are great, and your brain will thank you

im actually getting annoyed at flux cause my sleep pattern is just not modelable in it, no matter what i set it to it either starts to go yellow at like 7 pm or i wake up in a scene from Traffic (2000)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Subjunctive posted:

lol if you have any lights other than your computer screen

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Powered Descent posted:

lol if you have any lights other than your computer screen

lol if you don’t have dozens of small computer screens providing illumination throughout your Doom 2 level of a home

Krankenstyle posted:

im actually getting annoyed at flux cause my sleep pattern is just not modelable in it, no matter what i set it to it either starts to go yellow at like 7 pm or i wake up in a scene from Traffic (2000)

I just want the ambient light to provide circadian cues, but the first thing I did for that was install RGB strips in the living room cabinet, and then my daughter and I decided that it was waaaay better when gently cycling different colours on the shelves. plus it wasn’t very controllable, so I’ll have to revisit that at some point.

the dream of dimmable variable-temperature lighting throughout my home remains elusive because I am not buying the appropriate amount of colour-tunable bulbs at $40 each, let alone programming all of them Jesus Christ

Subjunctive has issued a correction as of 04:08 on Jun 23, 2019

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Krankenstyle posted:

I use twilight on my phone it works alright

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Subjunctive posted:

Nah this is just a fad like gluten hate.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
My house is lit by thousands of candles, purchase new every day, expensive candles, fancy candles, I love it, but it's too expensive, and I need a way to save money

Please help me, my family is dying

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
First turn your candle off for 5 seconds
then lite your candle for 3 seconds
then

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Subjunctive posted:

lol if you don’t have dozens of small computer screens providing illumination throughout your Doom 2 level of a home

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
if you care about your mental health you're on the wrong forum

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Cowpocalypse posted:

if you care about your mental health you're in the wrong society

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
Smart light bulbs are loving stupid.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cowpocalypse posted:

if you care about your mental health you're wrong

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
do you like lightbulbs, but hate that your lightbulbs can't be part of massive botnets? well with new GE Smart Bulb Technology,

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

redsniper posted:

Smart light bulbs are loving stupid.

I like mine.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jimmyjams posted:

do you like lightbulbs, but hate that your lightbulbs can't be part of massive botnets? well with new GE Smart Bulb Technology,

To be fair, if i knew my light bulbs would be DDOSing Visa and Exxon instead of human rights activists, i would be buying lamps to run more.

I only want my decor to participate in the most ethical botnets.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I have a smartish bulb that goes on and off normally with a plain old wall switch, but if it’s flipped on and off and on again quickly, it cycles through brightness settings.

It’s unobtrusive and it works.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Platystemon posted:

I have a smartish bulb that goes on and off normally with a plain old wall switch, but if it’s flipped on and off and on again quickly, it cycles through brightness settings.

It’s unobtrusive and it works.

What's it's ETH hashrate?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I have a bunch of bulbs that change color with a remote so I can make my apartment look like a bordello with the push of a button.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Powershift posted:

To be fair, if i knew my light bulbs would be DDOSing Visa and Exxon instead of human rights activists, i would be buying lamps to run more.

I only want my decor to participate in the most ethical botnets.

This is the perfect use of blockchains.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Trabisnikof posted:

Troubleshooting iTouchless Automatic Stainless Steel Trash Can

this has all the specificity and arbitrariness of a summoning ritual

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

uber_stoat posted:

I have a bunch of bulbs that change color with a remote so I can make my apartment look like a bordello with the push of a button.

i bet its useful for when my mom comes over! wait this didnt turn out how i wanted at all

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Marx Headroom posted:

this has all the specificity and arbitrariness of a summoning ritual

This gives me an idea.

Put your garbage can on your roomba so you can just wait for it to come around to throw out your doritos bags while it's sweeping up the crumbs, and you'll never have to leave the couch.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

oh my god.

quote:

This Japanese Company Charges Its Staff $100 an Hour to Use Conference Rooms

Everything has a price, which helps keep workers focused on the bottom line.

Yuji Nakamura
Hiroyuki Suzuki couldn’t be happier that his company is charging him and all other employees about $100 an hour to use meeting rooms. “People really cut back on useless meetings,” says Suzuki, 37, who works at chip-equipment maker Disco Corp. and is one of the company’s 5,000 employees taking part in a radical experiment in business management.

At Disco, everything has a price, from office desks and PCs to a spot for your wet umbrella. Teams bill each other for their work, while individuals operate as one-person startups, with daily auctions of work assignments and battles for the best ideas in the aptly named “Colosseum.” Payments are settled in a virtual currency called “Will,” with balances paid in yen at the end of each quarter. “We’ve created a free economic zone, just like what exists outside the company,” says Toshio Naito, who designed the program and has continued to work on it since its implementation in 2011. “Work should be about freedom, not orders.”

The approach has so far paid off. Disco’s operating margin has risen to 26% from 16% since the experiment was implemented eight years ago, and its profitability is the envy of the industry. Its share price has almost quadrupled in that period, to roughly 16,000 yen ($148), giving the company a $5 billion market value. Thanks to bonuses, worker pay is more than double the national average of 4.7 million yen, and in 2017, Disco was the first to win a new government award for creating an ideal workplace.

Yet despite its proven success and dozens of inquiries and training sessions with other companies, none have adopted the idea so far. Engineers have quit, complaining the approach detracts from their ability to focus purely on research. Others have been driven away by the never-ending pressure to perform to get a bonus. And big payouts aren’t guaranteed, which means enduring a high-pressure work environment without much of a benefit. The relentless focus on quarterly profits can encourage short-term thinking, says Takashi Shimizu, a professor at Waseda University in Tokyo who studies accounting and management systems. “Senior management must not get trapped in a short-term loop,” he says. There’s also a cultural challenge. It took about five years for staff in Japan to adjust, and workers in the U.S. and China still haven’t fully embraced the approach, Naito says.

But those who adapt emphasize the freedom to shape their own day and the value placed on their efforts and their own time in particular. They say the ruthlessness of a hardcore free-market approach is diluted in a setting where people work side-by-side. “It’s become like second nature,” says Naoki Sakamoto, a Disco factory worker in Hiroshima. “Being able to measure everything creates more interest and confidence.”

Disco, founded in 1937 as Dai-Ichi Seitosho Co., began by supplying cutting tools to the Japanese military prior to World War II. Its saws and diamond blades have since been used to cut everything, even moon rocks brought back from the Apollo 11 mission. Today, it’s the world’s largest maker of equipment that slices and dices silicon ingots and wafers before they’re converted into electronic chips. Like many manufacturers, Disco spent decades looking for ways to boost efficiency, settling on an approach based on Kyocera Corp.’s Amoeba Management, which operates its thousands of internal teams as individual companies (amoebas). Disco, under Naito’s guidance, extended that autonomy to individual employees and called it “Personal Will” (from which the virtual currency’s name is derived).

“He wanted a system like in Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest that would make work fun but also strengthen the company”

At the heart of the program is a compensation system that meticulously tracks how much every person and team contributes to earnings. Workers receive a base salary, which they augment by earning Will for completing tasks. Quarterly bonuses can rival a year’s pay for top performers, says Naito. “It’s enough to buy a foreign-brand car every year,” he says. “We call it the ‘Will Dream.’ ”

Earning virtual currency begins at the team level, where bosses allocate a portion of the group’s Will budget to each task they must complete. Team members then use an app to bid in an auction for those jobs. Assignments that don’t attract any bids often turn out to be unnecessary, Naito says. And managers who’ve misused or abused the system have been abandoned by their workers, who are free to move to other teams.

Groups pay each other to complete tasks. Sales teams pay factory workers to produce goods, who in turn pay engineers to design products. Once a sale is made, it generates a certain amount of Will that trickles through to everyone in the supply chain, including human resources and IT support staff. “For example, today I paid Will for this meeting room and also for Naito to come in and spend his time to talk to you,” Sumio Masuchi, head of Disco’s press team, tells Bloomberg reporters. “But once your article is published, I’ll get Will for generating publicity.”

There’s a penalty system for inefficient behavior, which includes piling up unnecessary inventory or even working late. Overtime hours have fallen 9% since penalties were implemented in 2015, aligning with the Japanese government’s goal to improve work-life balance. “Economic forces are doing all the things managers used to spend time on,” says Naito. Employees can earn extra Will by helping each other: A parent who wants to see a kid’s baseball game can pay a colleague in the currency to finish a report. A software engineer can earn extra by offering coding skills to another team. Creating Excel macros or translation work are typical requests.

Then there are the daily competitions in the Colosseum, a 200-seat auditorium at headquarters where employees and executives make bets on ideas that have been implemented by the teams to increase profits. Any employee can make a presentation, and the 1,400 proposals last year included everything from faster manufacturing techniques to better ways to organize trash bins. Presenters face off, with each side making a one-minute speech. Employees use an app to bet Will on the idea they back, with an upside limit of 200,000 Will (about $1,800) for each battle. The side attracting the most support wins, with victors receiving the wagers made by losers. The beaten team might revise its idea and return to the fray, using feedback from Chief Executive Officer Kazuma Sekiya, who watches the battles and comments on all the ideas. About a dozen battles are held daily, and the most popular ones can attract wagers in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. If that sounds over the top, at least one winner in the past was probably worth it: an internal policing system to catch intellectual property violations.

Naito, who studied law, trained as an accountant in his first job at a large milk producer, where he became interested in organizational management. At Disco, he worked on ways to improve productivity until Sekiya told him to take inspiration from video games: “He wanted a system like in Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest that would make work fun but also strengthen the company.” The most important element Naito borrowed from the gamer world was the idea of scoring everything in the same way games reward high scores, to re-create the spirit of fun and competition.

The company’s latest experiment is an internal crowdfunding platform where anyone can pitch business ideas. Colleagues who back a project with Will may, if it works out, earn a return one day. It’s a fast way to test concepts, as initiatives that attract funding are a good indicator of promising ideas, Naito says. Or sometimes it’s just about pride: One project that attracted funding was to buy ad space at a professional baseball stadium in Hiroshima, home to Disco’s main factory, for marketing purposes. About 400 workers pooled $140,000 of their own bonus money—or about $350 each—for the privilege to see their company’s logo after work, even though the impact on the company’s bottom line seems doubtful at best. —With Jason Clenfield

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 04:38 on Jun 23, 2019

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

but restating, the problem isn't the lack of a reset switch by itself, it's jumping through ridiculous reset sequences to re-pair it with your Google (tm) Home (R) (sm) (C) which is just going to collect data on your light on/off activity and you'll start getting ads for melatonin or coffee or divorce lawyers

the problem is the fact that someone built a lightbulb that might someday need a factory reset

yeah, it's hard to come up with a non-software reset for a device with no buttons or physical input mechanisms. it's also hard for me to come up with a scenario in which you should reasonably expect to need to factory reset that device

like, sure, it's a smart lightbulb. i get that. you can control it with your smartphone. maybe even change the color or something. there are a few things you could potentially do with it. but if one of those things is "gently caress up the state so badly that the device becomes unusable and you have to reset the firmware using a hardware button", then mistakes were made long before the designers started thinking about the reset process

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i only read the last sentence which was this: "About 400 workers pooled $140,000 of their own bonus money—or about $350 each—for the privilege to see their company’s logo after work, even though the impact on the company’s bottom line seems doubtful at best."

clearly these people are in a kind of helsinki situation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lqnhA9d_B8

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

it sounds like a hosed up game show

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they got the employees to willingly pay the advertising budget out of their pay. jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1142107419742560256