Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

The Question IRL posted:

Didn’t Dune become incredibly Islamophobic in later books?
Or was that when his kids wrote it?

His kid, unless I missed something major later on.

From God-Emperor on out, the Dune series is kind of more increasingly weird big-picture reckoning with massive time and population scales, the nature of rebirth/immortality, and how to survive against an impossibly large conquering civilization.

It should go without saying, don't read the Brian Herbert books, they're dreadful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

The Question IRL posted:

Didn’t Dune become incredibly Islamophobic in later books?
Or was that when his kids wrote it?

Well, they used the term "Jihad" for the first book's protagonist's war to conquer/subdue the rest of the inhabited universe, using his army of super-warriors from the desert planet, who had fanatical loyalty and beliefs in their messiah.

So, there may have been a few things that you could call...undertones...but I never got a direct hint of Islamophobia when I read it. ...of course, the last time I read it (the whole series, even) was...the end of 2000. So I was somewhat less informed about certain things way back when, to be sure.

I never read any of the later post-Herbert books past the first, which was strictly prequel territory, and I don't remember virtually anything about it, so I can't comment there.

The only odd islamophobic-adjacent cultural weirdness that actually stood out to me, really, was the weird tangent of the jeeeeeeeeeeeews and how that one culture totally hadn't changed or died out like all the other ones in the thousands of years since humanity left Earth. It just struck me as...odd? Not even, like, hateful, or anything, just...odd. That was dumb 20 year old me, though, so who knows what dumb...not 20 years old me of today would think if I re-read it now.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Well, they used the term "Jihad" for the first book's protagonist's war to conquer/subdue the rest of the inhabited universe, using his army of super-warriors from the desert planet, who had fanatical loyalty and beliefs in their messiah.

The Fremen were clearly cribbing from muslims what with their desert-living, "jihad", "maud'dib"... but everyone's kind of lovely in the Dune universe and the Fremen are among the least-villainous. I feel like if Herbert was trying to make a political message it was "don't get involved with Afghanistan".

Apparently, the Fremen are Sunni+Zen Buddhist.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think Jihad was just an orientalist term back in the 20th century.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

It was something that was kind of Edgelord in it’s use in the 80’s/90’s.

Vampire the Masquerade had a card game called Vampire the Eternal Struggle. It’s original name was “Jyhad”.

It quickly got changed, but I know someone was wearing a “Jyhad” T-Shirt well into the early 2000’s to shock the norms.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
There is a massive DUNE megathread in GBS, just fyi.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Dune is more cribing Lawrence of Arabia and an orentalist view of Arabs. Stuff we read as Muslim coded post 9/11 didn't have the same connotations when written.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Dune is more cribing Lawrence of Arabia and an orentalist view of Arabs. Stuff we read as Muslim coded post 9/11 didn't have the same connotations when written.

Yeah lets be really clear:

Spice is oil. It's the magic substance that makes travel possible and also much of modern civilisation. It is found in a desert where Muslims live. Non-Muslims come to the desert, oppress the Muslims, take the spice. Paul is Laurence of Arabia.

Dune is about a lot of things, but ultimately it's 'Imperialism is wrong, Western interference in the Middle East based around securing oil flows is immoral, if the people in the Middle East were able to break free of foreign interference and take control of the oil in their lands then they would become the most powerful people on the planet'.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Well, Saudi Arabia pretty much controls a large part of the upper level of the United States Government.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

EimiYoshikawa posted:

The only odd islamophobic-adjacent cultural weirdness that actually stood out to me, really, was the weird tangent of the jeeeeeeeeeeeews and how that one culture totally hadn't changed or died out like all the other ones in the thousands of years since humanity left Earth. It just struck me as...odd? Not even, like, hateful, or anything, just...odd. That was dumb 20 year old me, though, so who knows what dumb...not 20 years old me of today would think if I re-read it now.

There's some other scifibook where Rome never fell and owns the whole Earth and jewish people build a starship to go find their promised land in the cosmos. Jewish identity tends to generally believe that yes they could totally see themselves remaining unchanged in their language, customs, and so on even 100,000 years from now because they've been unchanged since Roman times and the diaspora. So clearly Herbert has some Orthodox jewish friends and they had an influence for him to add that detail in because clearly he thinks its a cool idea to have in the background.

I have a D&D setting I've been working on that has a similar premise which I consulted my own jewish friends about it for accuracy and that anecdote sounds similar.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Fuego Fish posted:

In the list of problems with Goblins (and Thunt), the drawing doesn't even make the top three. Unless you count "holy poo poo why is there so much unnecessary body horror" as coming under the umbrella of "drawing", but I'd say it's more to do with awful narrative (the number one problem Goblins has).

But you get that you could stop reading it right? I agree with your complaints about Goblins, which is why I stopped reading it after I checked it out a decade ago. Why do some many people give this comic space in their head if they don't like it?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nipponophile posted:

Wasn't Goblins chat in this thread probatable at some point?

It'd be nice if that were still the case.

What? No. Stop being a giant baby.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Patrick Spens posted:

But you get that you could stop reading it right? I agree with your complaints about Goblins, which is why I stopped reading it after I checked it out a decade ago. Why do some many people give this comic space in their head if they don't like it?

Indignation literally gets you high

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Do people seriously actually literally break out in hives whenever goblins gets brought up, I thought it was some sort of running thread joke about overreacting to some other webcomic like every internet person does with every okay to mediocre webcomic.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I first got into Goblins not long after discovering OotS waaay back in the day, when I was keen to read another webcomic exploring the idea of good and evil being physical forces that tied into but weren't dependent on morality.
I got out of Goblins when it spent at least a year (I think multiple) following a couple of side characters as they went through a dungeon that had nothing to do with the rest of the plot. By the time they got out and re-encountered the protagonists, I realised I couldn't remember who any of them were, and I also realised I didn't care, so I dropped it.

The body horror wasn't anywhere near as much of a put-off as the fact that it just never seemed to have a bigger plot picture and didn't bring together its ideas about D&D alignment systems into a coherent point, other than just saying D&D alignment systems don't make a lot of sense when you think about them.

I think it's just a meme to bring up in this thread (since it explores some of the same ideas as OotS but nowhere near as well) as a troll, but also while the comic is bad, the author doesn't seem to be a bad person at all (as opposed to, say, Tim Buckley) so sometimes you just kinda want to commiserate with the issues she has.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Well even then, I would take anything about Tim Buckley with a pinch of salt since at this point in time given everything that's happened in the US from out of 4chan I just assume everything on Encyclopedia Dramatica is false.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Do people seriously actually literally break out in hives whenever goblins gets brought up, I thought it was some sort of running thread joke about overreacting to some other webcomic like every internet person does with every okay to mediocre webcomic.

I don't know what you're talking about, sir, are you gotta order anything? This is a mcdonalds...

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Motherfucker posted:

I don't know what you're talking about, sir, are you gotta order anything? This is a mcdonalds...

What are you talking about?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Motherfucker posted:

People keep saying that, and they never give me my fries.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post
Goblins

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nice avatar-post combo.

Back to OotS, how many more strips does everyone think are left before the Exarch goes down?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

This is falling comic action, exarch is gonna get chumped by the Power of Family. 10, maybe?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Not gonna try to count strips, but I'm betting it happens before the end of September.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Patrick Spens posted:

I don't read it :confused:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The main thrust of Dune is it’s critiquing “Great Man” figures, both sacred and secular- Paul Atreides, the Messiah, the Kwisatz Hadrach, is just a slave of forces bigger than himself. There’s also stuff in there about politics and ecology and so on.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Patrick Spens posted:

Because some jackasses keep bringing it up in this thread, causing multi-page derails.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Nipponophile posted:

Because some jackasses keep bringing it up in this thread, causing multi-page derails.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Oh no, not a derail in the OotS thread! The horror!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
*grumble grumble railroading DMs grumble grumble*

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I like the oots derails in the goblins thread. :(

So Thunt wasn't her real name right? Is ellipses her new handle or her actual name?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

I like the oots derails in the goblins thread. :(

So Thunt wasn't her real name right? Is ellipses her new handle or her actual name?

I think thunt is still her handle and Ellipses is her new name.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Shwqa posted:

She's said she's okay with being called Thunt while people adjust (a common sentiment among newly-out trans people who don't want to feel like they're being 'difficult'), but prefers Ellipses.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Tarol Hunt was her old name, which is where Thunt came from. Her new name is now Ellipses Hana [I forget her new last name, if it's actually different].

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Who What Now posted:

Oh no, not a derail in the OotS thread! The horror!

Yeah, OotS isn't exactly on a three times a week update schedule. :v:

Shwqa posted:

Holy poo poo are you kidding me :lol:

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Ellipsis is a pretty name. Good for her.

Edit: vvvvvv noted and fixed.

Earnestly fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 24, 2019

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Ellipsis, singular, not Ellipses, plural.

Also she took the family name Stephens a while ago, when she married her wife. That was before she realized she was trans. I vaguely remember some blog post about being glad of getting rid of the name "Hunt", though deciding to keep the derived pen name Thunt.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is there a trans concepts/issues 101 thread somewhere in A/T or something? Some concepts have come up incidentally here like a person realizing they are trans later in life that are unfamiliar to me and I could stand the education.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

SuperKlaus posted:

Is there a trans concepts/issues 101 thread somewhere in A/T or something? Some concepts have come up incidentally here like a person realizing they are trans later in life that are unfamiliar to me and I could stand the education.

For some drat reason it's in the Great Race Space. I think it used to be in E/N at one point?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821295

There are a lot of trans people on SA right now, I've noticed, and it's a pretty educational thread overall.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

SuperKlaus posted:

I think Julia Serano's writing is a good introduction, although some of it speaks to the culture of the 1990s and 2000s in a way that is no longer entirely applicable. Whipping Girl is the classic but she continues to write prolifically online. I also like Parker Molloy, Grace Lavery, and Daniel Ortberg (who formerly ran the humor site The Toast, if that rings a bell) for being lucid and accessible in introducing concepts that can be difficult to grasp at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Wanderer posted:

For some drat reason it's in the Great Race Space. I think it used to be in E/N at one point?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821295

There are a lot of trans people on SA right now, I've noticed, and it's a pretty educational thread overall.

TGRS has kind of evolved into an open place for discussing all minority issues, as best I can tell.