Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

incontinence 100 posted:

cue periscope clip of a Christian fash being bludgeoned in the face with a foot long dildo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ardent Communist posted:

I mean, the fact that the powerful have had a massive advantage in technology and organization is a longstanding obstacle of revolutionaries. Spartacus had to fight against the might of Rome, with all its legions and fleets. The secret police of Russia was regarded as a particularly efficient and bloodthirsty example. Every successful state has created an image of invincibility, which is important because that invincibility is based upon people believing it. The full power of the American war machine has been focused on the poor small country of Afghanistan, and yet still they fight. A revolution takes place in the minds of its population, as well as materially.

I have to jump in here to say that while the Russian secret police had that reputation, the pre-revolutionary Okhrana were more often than not a bunch of bumbling idiots than they were effective at actually crushing dissent. And like most things in Russia at the time, they were insanely understaffed compared to the size of the country and the scale of the dissent they were supposed to manage (it's not much good arresting half a dozen revolutionaries when millions of peasants are rioting and burning down manor houses). What was actually effective at crushing dissent in Russia between 1905 and 1917 was the imposition of martial law, the use of the military to break up strikes and uprisings, and the execution of thousands of people by military courts, and the big reason why the revolution could happen in 1917 was because the entire country collapsed under the strain of trying to fight the First World War and the military didn't obey the tsar when he gave orders to do it again.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

vyelkin posted:

I have to jump in here to say that while the Russian secret police had that reputation, the pre-revolutionary Okhrana were more often than not a bunch of bumbling idiots than they were effective at actually crushing dissent. And like most things in Russia at the time, they were insanely understaffed compared to the size of the country and the scale of the dissent they were supposed to manage (it's not much good arresting half a dozen revolutionaries when millions of peasants are rioting and burning down manor houses). What was actually effective at crushing dissent in Russia between 1905 and 1917 was the imposition of martial law, the use of the military to break up strikes and uprisings, and the execution of thousands of people by military courts, and the big reason why the revolution could happen in 1917 was because the entire country collapsed under the strain of trying to fight the First World War and the military didn't obey the tsar when he gave orders to do it again.

Yes, that is certainly true, but it doesn't disagree with what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that they had a reputation. The conditions for the revolution were affected by many different factors, especially discontent among the army. Do you really think that in a civil war type situation that there wouldn't be any soldiers not 100% for massacring civilian populations? The mere fact that people kept trying to start the revolution, and the conditions imposed by the authorities in hopes of preventing a revolution, are things that make a revolution more likely.
I can't think of a single successful revolution that didn't follow unsuccessful ones, but that doesn't mean you should wait until conditions are perfect to launch a revolt. An unsuccessful revolution can lay the groundwork for a successful one, both as a learning experience for those that survive or at least the relatives of those that lose their lives, and for leading to the kinds of repression that alienate larger portions of the population.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

that dildo should be at least twice the size but otherwise good stuff

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Also more rainbows.

Also lol @ the idea of a country being "too big to fail"

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

the person you're quoting was very clear about not advocating violence. responsible gun ownership is nonviolent. simply by owning a firearm, and storing it safely in a locked cabinet, you will be free from predation and assault

That's called game theory and it was developed by some of the smartest people to ever live. If it was wrong, it probably wouldn't be the defense strategy used by every state for the last ~100 years.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
A good guy with a gun makes no sense! Now, a good guy with a F35, I will pay thousands of taxes to support that.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
i dont think anybody is saying that

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
xtal has a unique talent for incredibly facile hot takes

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't mean to relate that to the post I quoted so much, it's just a thing that a lot of people believe

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

xtal posted:

That's called game theory and it was developed by some of the smartest people to ever live. If it was wrong, it probably wouldn't be the defense strategy used by every state for the last ~100 years.

applying game theory to individual interactions falls apart once you remember that human beings are not perfectly rational beep-boop calculating machines

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

i just dont understand how anyone could be stupid enough to advocate for less gun control when we have the most obvious case study ever of why that is absolutely loving moronic in the united states

"because guns are cool" is not a rebuttal

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Either everyone or noone should have a gun.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

abortions for some, guns for others

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

dildos for all

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Had a dinner with a member of the police like 4 years ago. He was super into telling everyone he was getting Assault Rifle training because those "split seconds can save lives man we can't wait for swat" He got a bit tipsy and says he was sad that he didn't get a chance to fire his gun on duty yet and its really "us vs them" out there.

Take away all guns.

Also stop hiring loving toxic assholes.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
toxic assholes are an asset

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Kindest Forums User posted:

toxic assholes are an asset

Today I learned about toxic positivity.

What a world!

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Another Bill posted:

Today I learned about toxic positivity.

What a world!

The generous interpretation is that the toxic assholes are a benefit to the police force.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Here is the cops' defense for why it's so mean they can't march in pride:

"[It's] asking police officers to put aside part of their identity. You have to understand the police culture is all based on identity," Joe Couto, director of government relations and communications for the Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police, told CBC Toronto earlier this week.

"The police identity ingrains itself into who you are and what you are."

good, if you chose to be a hateful bigot and that's your identity than I can discriminate against you repeatedly and give no fucks

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

they're so close to understanding what the problem is (it's precisely what they described)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

"police culture"

lord love a duck. when did these shitheads figure out wokewashing?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I would have gone with "Even the pride flag has a thin blue line"

If you are going to be assholes go all out.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

apatheticman posted:

I would have gone with "Even the pride flag has a thin blue line"

If you are going to be assholes go all out.

don't give them any ideas

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Saw the Liberal booth at Pride. They were giving out lipbalm, why, who can say. It is vanilla flavored.

loving Liberals.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

infernal machines posted:

"police culture"

lord love a duck. when did these shitheads figure out wokewashing?

cops have been trying "cops are the real oppressed minority" for like a decade now

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

the coolest gun is the AS VAL, which is featured in Stalker:Shadow of Chernobyl as the VLA Special Assault Rife

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

canadian law is so fascist cops could charge you for carrying a weaponized dildo. there is no right to self def3nse in this shithole country the only legal option you have is to call the police. shout out to my man rousseau, sometimes you have to force people to be free

can you send this amazon link for a weaponized dildo. its for a friend.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

zapplez posted:

can you send this amazon link for a weaponized dildo. its for a friend.

https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Purple-Replica-Baseball-Wrapped/dp/B00SIXFYUM

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Currently unavailable - loving fascists.

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

when i hit that loud and open cspam the adam curtis music starts playing
someone in this thread unironically implied that gun control caused the holocaust

and it wasn't ben shapino

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes, but when you realize who it was, it isn't surprising

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Virtual Russian posted:

I said it before. Everyone should be legally allowed to own a gun, barring only those who want one from ownership.

this is my policy for giving people any kind of power

whoever doesn't want it most is who should have it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Also no one who tries to pull the whole "I don't want it the most" thing. Looking at you Plato.