Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL if there was an achievement for doing it that way I probably would give it shot, because there is nothing more important than cheevo E-Peen.

The only time I didn’t do that was “Mostly Flesh & Steal” in Dishonored because the achievement is basically “do a full run through of the game only by exploiting our terrible stealth ai” and I just couldn’t imagine having any fun whatsoever playing that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s like if you’re playing basketball with a friend whose exactly as good as you (a challenge), but then it gets to the point where you feel like you need one hand tied behind your back to make it enough of a challenge again. You see this as an expression or extension of your skills, I see it as intentionally hamstringing myself in a way that the game wasn’t meant to be played. If I win, it wasn’t really a challenge because I wasn’t giving it my all, I was self limiting.

But if you let your friend win and take it easy on them, that's one thing. But if you tie one hand behind your back, you are trying your best under those conditions. Its not like you necessarily half-rear end it. You could be pushed to 100% now, where you never needed to struggle before so you were only at 80%.

Saying its not how the game was designed seems odd. So? So its a different game then. Like I said, play the game normal first. But after you beat it and are done, why not invent your own game using that game's foundation?

Seems like approaching games purely as a consumer. Maybe because I'm a programmer and mod stuff, its more natural to me to want to make my own thing.

When you're programming the game yourself its all self imposed. But I think just playing a game is self imposed too, no?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL if there was an achievement for doing it that way I probably would give it shot, because there is nothing more important than cheevo E-Peen.

Haha, so it seems more a problem of motivation then.

I can understand self-imposed challenges feeling a bit silly.

What if we goons agreed to race the game with no upgrades, would that feel less self imposed then? (Not suggesting we do, just exploring this philosophically, its interesting psychology)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Zaphod42 posted:

Seems like approaching games purely as a consumer. Maybe because I'm a programmer and mod stuff, its more natural to me to want to make my own thing.
This is probably the crux of it.

I’m a writer, I like worldbuilding, and worldbuilding is about making the rules. If I don’t respect the rules of this world, I can’t ever truly claim to have mastered it.

I just can’t get into games that expect me to make my own fun whatsoever. Minecraft? gently caress Outta Here!

I don’t need a lot to be happy in a video game, but anything that denotes “hey here is a way you could play” will probably make me happy.
If the game gives me little to no direction,
I’ll get very bored very quickly.

I’m the kid who gets a LEGO model for X-Mas, builds it, and leaves it on a bookshelf for 15 years. My brother is the kid who opens his LEGOs and tosses the instructions aside and builds his own rocket ship with horses and dragons and pirates. Playing like that gives me hives.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The problem with self-imposed conducts vs. difficulty levels isn't one with some arbitrary sense of "validity" -- both ways of playing are valid -- the problem is that self-policing and optimization are inherently contradictory behaviors.

You can get satisfaction from proving yourself by living up to an externally defined challenge, or from tinkering with systems and rules to see what happens, but the more you blur the line between the two the more they get in each other's way.

Or put another way: you can play Calvinball, or you can play a well-designed competitive sport, but it's obviously impossible to do both at the same time.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 19, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The problem with self-imposed conducts vs. difficulty levels isn't one with some arbitrary sense of "validity" -- both ways of playing are valid -- the problem is that self-policing and optimization are inherently contradictory behaviors.

You can get satisfaction from proving yourself by living up to an externally defined challenge, or from tinkering with systems and rules to see what happens, but the more you blur the line between the two the more they get in each other's way.

Or put another way: you can play Calvinball, or you can play a well-designed competitive sport, but it's obviously impossible to do both at the same time.

I kindof agree. But then look at speedrunning, which often involves self policing if it isn't any%. You choose to speed run for all bosses or all crests or whatever, that's kinda self imposed, and yet speed running is the definition of competition.

So I see the point you mean about opposed methodologies. But to me its like, you can still try your best with one arm behind your back, like we were saying earlier. You won't be as good as with two hands, but that doesn't mean you couldn't get competitive with someone to see who the best one-handed dunker is.

To me it becomes a different challenge at that point. Its not that you're holding back at playing the best basketball, its that you're going all-out on one-handed basketball.

Again, I get where you're coming from. Just think its fun to consider the differences.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I just lost my 1800 cash stumbling on the Brooding Mawlek in Forgotten Crossroads. I can't get back there. :livintrope: :suicide:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Grouchio posted:

I just lost my 1800 cash stumbling on the Brooding Mawlek in Forgotten Crossroads. I can't get back there. :livintrope: :suicide:

Ooof, that's a lot of geo.

Brooding mawlek gave me a pretty hard time, so I just put him off till later.

Luckily you really don't need geo for a ton in the game, I worried about it a lot for a long time but I've still got a lot to do and I've bought almost everything there is.

Also have you found the... way to get your shade back without having to go to it? dunno if you want spoilers but that's a thing

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Deepnest is great because no matter how strong you are there's still an instant fundamental reaction of 'actually, gently caress this place'

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Oh maaaaan I just had a cool loving moment.

story spoiler (most of you know all this) I just ran into a ghost, and he looked down on his own body and was like "look at this pathetic weakling, not tough enough like us!" but... its his own body. He doesn't realize he's dead. He doesn't know he's a ghost. That's brilliant, its such a small moment but its really cool. And then I thought, wait... Hornet keeps calling ME "little ghost". Does that mean... is this the sixth sense?! haha. The game SOMA does something kinda similar

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
it's like the sixth sense, except bruce willis is an elder god

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Is it just me or is Zote a Don Quixote reference?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Sorry I think you meant to say Zote the Mighty, a knight of great renown!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Is it just me or is Zote a Don Quixote reference?
He fails to face down a lion at the end so no, he's just Scrappy Doo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Okay I just got to Godhome and both visually and mechanically I love this place.

If you'd asked me what I'd want in a dlc for this game, this'd be it. Dunno how it was received by people who had already played the game to death, I think people liked it? But yeah I wish more games had a thing like this.

Dark souls could use a godhome.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Okay I just got to Godhome and both visually and mechanically I love this place.

If you'd asked me what I'd want in a dlc for this game, this'd be it. Dunno how it was received by people who had already played the game to death, I think people liked it? But yeah I wish more games had a thing like this.

Dark souls could use a godhome.

People in this thread were pretty evenly split between liking it, or disliking how difficult it was, generally speaking.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah, I see some people were upset they had to watch some story content on youtube because they simply couldn't access it, because it was too hard. That's a bummer.

But for the amount of work and content they could add in a final free DLC, I think this is pretty amazing as a way to give the game some longevity and something for me to do long after I've beaten the game.

poo poo is definitely hard though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Not being able to do all of Godmaster honestly didn't bother me because in the end the Dream No More ending is still my preferred one and achieving it was more than satisfying, from both a story and challenge perspective. Between that and Grimm Troupe I got more than my needed fill.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Godmaster is hard enough that I'll probably never complete all in the content in it, but I could do most of it and get a good feel for how much work it would take if I did decide to go for 100% completion -- which, yeah, is exactly what I want from DLC for a game like this.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Pure vessel is the extent of the challenge I wish to pursue in this game

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Godmaster is hard enough that I'll probably never complete all in the content in it, but I could do most of it and get a good feel for how much work it would take if I did decide to go for 100% completion -- which, yeah, is exactly what I want from DLC for a game like this.

Beating the Pantheon of Hollownest was trouble enough for me. I could not imagine trying to do it with all the bindings at once.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Godmaster is way too hard for me, I didn't do the Trial of the Fool and never actually got around to beating the Radiance.

Do I wish the new content was something I could engage with? Sure. Am I, like, disappointed? Heck no. I've apparently squeezed eighty hours of play out of fifteen dollars of game. I am satisfied with my goddamn purchase and more power to the bloodthirsty lunatics who no-hit boss rushes.
(you know who you are. I respect you but will never ever understand you)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Beat the game, first ending anyways :toot: 73% so I've still got lots to go.

The last two fights I did were my favorites so far, Watcher Knight was real fun although kept going on and on, I swear I got down to the last 2 like 5 times but couldn't quite seal the deal. Still, intense, and fun. And then HK was great, although those ground lasers that do 2 damage were kinda mean.

Aw man I shoulda done Colosseum long ago, you get a charm notch for the easy one? Dangit there's probably goodies all over the place I missed.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Godmaster came out after I put the game down so I never dug too much into it, but it's exactly the kind of thing I like to cap off Hollow Knight, and were I not a working adult I have no doubt I'd be grinding full binding pantheons. As is, I haven't beaten any, nor do I intend to.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I mostly wish there was a way to fight the new bosses without having to go through a gauntlet of already-fought bosses first. It sucks that I'm never going to be able to even attempt Pure Vessel if I can't get past Sly.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah, I'm super into the idea of having all the bosses be fight-able again, especially the early game bosses with all the mobility options, and with higher difficulty options.

But the pantheon gauntlets don't sound like a super good time. I could see myself doing some of them, but the final one sounds absolutely insane. So I do understand the complaints now.

I feel like they should have made the last ending only require beating Pure Vessel and Absolute Radiance as solo fights and have the Hollownest Pantheon be a final challenge just for an achievement or something.

Just beat Grimm, that was a super fun fight. The music is just AMAZING. Gonna do the last bit of this Troupe quest now. Then I'll be on ghost slaying duty to finish my dream nail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmsjvBivRkU at 1:00 just gets stupid good

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 21, 2019

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

fractalairduct posted:

I mostly wish there was a way to fight the new bosses without having to go through a gauntlet of already-fought bosses first. It sucks that I'm never going to be able to even attempt Pure Vessel if I can't get past Sly.

At the bottom of Godhome there’s a door that leads to the Hall of Gods, which has every boss you’ve encountered and you can fight them in normal, hard, and no-hit difficulties. If you’ve fought Sly, then you should be able to practice against him there as much as you want.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I want to try my hand at the new bosses; not refight a ton of bosses over and over just to have a chance at getting to them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Wish godhome was a little closer to a stagway station. I guess you're just supposed to do everything else first and then go there, but visiting to replay a boss is a pain.

Nightmare King Grimm is wicked indeed. Not sure how I feel about it, just need to git gud of course, but it feels like its so fast if I eat one attack, I don't have time before I end up taking another hit, and since they're 2 mask hits each... yowza.

Normal Grimm was such a great fight and I felt like I could fight him for hours if I needed, I could consistently get hits in and then time some heals. But with Nightmare King there's no margin, no time, I guess you just go in with Joni's and as many masks as you can get and try to burn him down without taking any hits at all, because goddamn.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
NKG was a fight where, unlike most of the other endgame super hard fights, I actually elected to not go with Joni's Blessing. You get enough time in between rounds to heal a little bit and the extra slots can be used for boosting your offense. Don't forget that because it is technically a dream fight, charms like Fragile Strength won't break.

For me it was a matter of gaining muscle memory for each of his phases and formulating counters to them. Him launching bats for example was where I usually would actually deal some damage because I could reliably thread that needle. He's also very vulnerable when he is launching pillars of fire but you have to try to time it so that the third(?) pillar doesn't block you in when you jump in for the kill.

It took me maybe 2 hours to get down but by the end I could almost beat him without getting hit at all.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah I can reliably hit him when he launches bats or the pillars of fire, although the pillars of fire persist JUST a little too long and so like half the time I end up eating a hit.

I already have Unbreakable Strength (hosed up and gave her that one first instead of greed) but having to have the familiar charm equipped eating up 2 slots really sucks. Its cool though, I have some other bosses to do, I'll circle back around.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
For the pillars, I don't know how well I can describe this in text, but I needed to try to make it so that when the knight passes underneath NKG and hits the wall he is running towards, that spot is "safe" and in between the pillars. That way he can turn around and hit NKG on the return trip. If it's timed such that that spot winds up having a pillar in it instead, something about the timing makes it just not work. Usually this meant I would hang back a bit and after either the 2nd or 3rd pillar start the loop.

Everything else is a matter of reaction, with usually a jump->dash to get over his dive bomb and of course not accidentally loving up (as I would all to often) when he fires the thorns upwards.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I got hit by HK 's ground lasers a TON so I had to force myself to watch for them, and now Grimm's lasers were never hard as a result, feels like they're easier to see than the orange beams too.

But oof he's just so dang fast.

Also I'm split, I like that the intro is quick since you have to try a lot, but I always think he's gonna bow first and then he attacks and I'm like ohshit

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Just finished Grey Mourner’s quest in about 4 attempts. Beefed it on the final thorn hop on my second attempt, made on the the 4th

Fuk dis quest

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Wish godhome was a little closer to a stagway station. I guess you're just supposed to do everything else first and then go there, but visiting to replay a boss is a pain.

Nightmare King Grimm is wicked indeed. Not sure how I feel about it, just need to git gud of course, but it feels like its so fast if I eat one attack, I don't have time before I end up taking another hit, and since they're 2 mask hits each... yowza.

Normal Grimm was such a great fight and I felt like I could fight him for hours if I needed, I could consistently get hits in and then time some heals. But with Nightmare King there's no margin, no time, I guess you just go in with Joni's and as many masks as you can get and try to burn him down without taking any hits at all, because goddamn.

Don’t use Joni’s, try Shape of Unn. During the fire pillars attack you can use it to safely heal three times, it’s really good. If you combine it with deep focus and grubsong you can get a ton of healing in.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Does each Mantis Lord have like 40 hit points? :stare:

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

From the wiki:

quote:

210 (First Phase)
160 + 160 = 320 (Second Phase)

Total: 530

For reference, the nail you start with does 5 damage per hit. So you'd have to hit the first mantis lord 42 times, and 32 for each in the second phase.
You can upgrade your nail damage, and it is recommended you do do so before fighting them. In fact, if you lose to the Mantis Lords with no nail upgrades, Quirrel will appear at the entrance of the Mantis village and suggest you go look for a nailsmith, even telling you where he thinks you can find one.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The key to the mantis lords is that they have the single most obvious “this is a safe time to heal” attack in the game. Don’t be greedy, just hop like a bunny, and try double tap them any time you could get in a hit.

Ok gang, I’ve made it to the White Palace... wut the gently caress dudes, this place is a meat grinder, any tips? Charms can’t really help me here, can they?

Also is there possibly a spoiler-free way someone can explain which ending is (good) and which is (bad)?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok gang, I’ve made it to the White Palace... wut the gently caress dudes, this place is a meat grinder, any tips? Charms can’t really help me here, can they?

Grubsong + Deep Focus. Stop to heal up after every 2 damage and you'll never be in any real danger. Now you just have to actually get through it. :getin:

quote:

Also is there possibly a spoiler-free way someone can explain which ending is (good) and which is (bad)?

There isn't really a "good" ending where flowers bloom again and everything turns out wonderful if you get that last 1% completion.

You can lock yourself out of the first ending, if you get the item at the end of the White Palace and take it to a certain other place. Just go beat the Hollow Knight first if you want to see it. You can reload and continue afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

There isn't really a "good" ending where flowers bloom again and everything turns out wonderful if you get that last 1% completion.

Don't listen to this guy, there is definitely a good ending and you get it by beating pantheon 5