Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

luetm posted:

The way Amazon has layed off the Lumberyard employees, and how it communicates the move, reminds me a lot of the time when Microsoft cancelled Silverlight. They just fired the team and just didn't mention it anymore.

Source: https://www.pcgamer.com/amazon-reportedly-lays-off-dozens-of-employees-on-the-last-day-of-e3/

No mention of Lumberyard. So it's well possible it's cancelled. That would mean CIG either needs to find another engine (pretty much a rewrite I guess), or develop the engine by themselves. And that would be another nail in the coffin for that project.

I mean personally I feel Lumberyard won't be canned, it will still be progressed, CIG will continue to use it, nothing really changes besides backers being made a bit more aware of the "reality" of Roberts/SC development and what the risks might be when you take 20 years to make a game in someone else's engine.

But it would be neat it if CIG's "demeamour" suddenly "shifted" in the Crytek case, ie all of a sudden CIG's tone shifts to compromise and there's a push from CIG to settle. :lol:

reverend crabhands fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jun 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Starbase on transporting cargo fidelitously.

I love that they go "Okay you COULD manually nail down all of these loose items or stasis crates or whatever the heck. OR you could do it much easier with these three different options for carrying all kinds of stuff that's way easier."

It'll be easy to spot the Citizens. They'll be the only ones doing it by hand.

quote:

As you can see, this doesn't look that nice, and can be quite time-consuming to do.

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 23, 2019

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Anticheese posted:

Starbase on transporting cargo fidelitously.

I love that they go "Okay you COULD manually nail down all of these loose items or stasis crates or whatever the heck. OR you could do it much easier with these three different options for carrying all kinds of stuff that's way easier."

It'll be easy to spot the Citizens. They'll be the only ones doing it by hand.

It's such a stark contrast after spending time immersed in Star Citizen's world of shoot first, ask questions never design. The Starbase guys have their core tech nailed and it's really cool to see all the possible interactions. I'm pretty skeptical still because a lot of what they're showing looks very CPU intensive and I'm curious how this thing is supposed to handle 100 players or whatever all doing custom ships, but I already have more optimism for it than for CIG ever releasing a functioning and thoroughly planned version of their flight model.

It's just so sad that studios that nobody's ever heard of are running rings around CIG. It really has revealed a lot to me about how bad a poor engine choice at the start of project development can gently caress up pretty much everything, going forward. They'd be better off firing everyone but the art team, and then buying one of these tiny studios and porting all of SC's assets to their game engine rather than spending another week with that kludge fest.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

TheDarkFlame posted:

Okay so you always expected this project to take well over a decade, maybe two. Really? This project is a video game. Games are not a medium known for longevity. They age quite quickly. Planning to take twenty years to make one video game means You hosed Up. Hardware changes, techniques change, standards change, player expectations change. Then if you try to follow all these things and stay on the cutting edge of gaming development, you're going to keep putting time and effort into work that is thrown away because something new comes along.

I mean this is exactly what Duke Nukem Forever did.

Even DNF had the decency to upgrade it's game engine 5 times over it's development yet Star Citizen is now using a game engine that is roughly 10 years old now and 2 versions behind the latest

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Starbase looks awesome.

Also, tangentially related to star citizen:

Koji Igarashi, father of symphony of the night came back from a decade-long hiatus. He promised a new castlevania, because the evil publishers didn't want it. It was going to be awesome and paid for by backers.

Sounds familiar ? Except there's one little difference with the Crobbler.

He absolutely loving nailed it. They even made a trailer with some of the criticism they've received and how they reacted to it and improved the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d79KArgmgcc

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
https://i.imgur.com/QiPAKGy.mp4

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
That Starbase game looks very similar to Stationeers

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
If this whole thing doesn't end with CIG launching a cryptocurrency for the Turkish government I'm going to be very disappointed.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

That's a good doggo :3:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

While I would agree that one should not install games to the Program Files folders, just to cut down the number of potential headaches, I'm not sure why Windows would not let a program in Program Files scan a folder on another drive. I do that with programs all the time and it's never an issue.
The issue is probably with the RSI Launcher after all, though I am uncertain as to how they managed to cause it outside of trying to copy files into the Program Files folder to scan them :psyduck:

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Reminds me of when CCP put out a bad update that deleted the entire C drive.

If CInG did that, the players would come up with a reason why it's a good thing.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

To be fair, this game has been in development since before the introduction of the UAC and documentation of what it will prevent and how to correctly structure your data or ask the system for elevation in Windows 7.

Did Chris start this in 2006 or something? :confused:

Neltharak posted:

Starbase looks awesome.

Also, tangentially related to star citizen:

Koji Igarashi, father of symphony of the night came back from a decade-long hiatus. He promised a new castlevania, because the evil publishers didn't want it. It was going to be awesome and paid for by backers.

Sounds familiar ? Except there's one little difference with the Crobbler.

He absolutely loving nailed it. They even made a trailer with some of the criticism they've received and how they reacted to it and improved the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d79KArgmgcc

That's one way to make a trailer :eyepop:

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Bofast posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuYcOkulhTA

Here's the launch trailer.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
There are days when I feel that CIG's development motto is Méi bànfǎ (roughly it can't be helped)

- The engine doesn't support our type of game.
- It can't be helped.
- All we have are half finished art assets.
- It can't be helped.
- The monocle is floating 3 inches above the female character's face
- It can't be helped.
- We don't know what the mechanics are supposed to be for bounty hunting.
- It can't be helped.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I hope that the game is a success, if only so that they can actually deliver those 13 pieces of free DLC.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Bofast posted:

Did Chris start this in 2006 or something? :confused:

I like the mentality to responding to criticism. Not "game dev is hard guys" or some other defensive bullshit - just a humorous cutscene with "I WILL PROVE THEM WRONG" and then some cool visuals to show progress.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Scruffpuff posted:

just a humorous cutscene with "I WILL PROVE THEM WRONG" and then some cool visuals to show progress.

Ok that was pretty cool.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

I like the mentality to responding to criticism. Not "game dev is hard guys" or some other defensive bullshit - just a humorous cutscene with "I WILL PROVE THEM WRONG" and then some cool visuals to show progress.

Yeah I though that was pretty clever. Like, just looking at the sample of youtube comments it definitely seems like that guy was getting absolutely poo poo on by his backers and instead of writing a five page thing about how actually it's the backers who were wrong he just kinda went "Okay, I hear you, check this out."

I tried to imagine Roberts doing that and my brain exploded.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

Yeah, it's pretty amusing. It also shows not only a mindset open to taking criticism seriously but a commitment to change and overcome the flaws that are being pointed out.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Bofast posted:

I hope that the game is a success, if only so that they can actually deliver those 13 pieces of free DLC.
On twitch, Bloodstained has 17k viewers, SC has 500. I think it is doing alright.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Dwesa posted:

On twitch, Bloodstained has 17k viewers, SC has 500. I think it is doing alright.

I wonder of those 500 SC viewers, how many are actually watching to laugh at it, or just sitting there with jaws agape, wondering how this shitshow is still going on.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

How much of that 500 are simply bots?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Anticheese posted:

Did the Idris ever make it into the game?

Haha no.

But here's a thing from 2016 where CIG did one of their "remember when" moments talking about the moment this ship that's not in the game today still was in the game.

https://twitter.com/robertsspaceind/status/804413750069473280

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

luetm posted:

The way Amazon has layed off the Lumberyard employees, and how it communicates the move, reminds me a lot of the time when Microsoft cancelled Silverlight. They just fired the team and just didn't mention it anymore.

Source: https://www.pcgamer.com/amazon-reportedly-lays-off-dozens-of-employees-on-the-last-day-of-e3/

No mention of Lumberyard. So it's well possible it's cancelled. That would mean CIG either needs to find another engine (pretty much a rewrite I guess), or develop the engine by themselves. And that would be another nail in the coffin for that project.

Do we know the size of the Lumberyard team at Amazon? They still seem to be hiring, so maybe they're just reducing the team. (https://www.amazon.jobs/en/search?base_query=lumberyard&job_count=10&result_limit=10&sort=relevant&cache

The hilarious alternative is they try to work with CryTek again. I'm sure it would work out great. :allears:

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
2020. Time to pivot to Unreal!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Someone stage an intervention for the Rebel Galaxy Outlaw devs. I feel like they are going overboard with this ship painting editor :ohdear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB-ZAYFJ-T4

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bofast posted:

Someone stage an intervention for the Rebel Galaxy Outlaw devs. I feel like they are going overboard with this ship painting editor :ohdear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB-ZAYFJ-T4

Very excited for Rebel Galaxy Outlaw. Massive amount of detail and content that blows Star Citizen out of the water, and without shady crowd funding practices.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 23, 2019

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

luetm posted:

Do we know the size of the Lumberyard team at Amazon? They still seem to be hiring, so maybe they're just reducing the team. (https://www.amazon.jobs/en/search?base_query=lumberyard&job_count=10&result_limit=10&sort=relevant&cache

I had a back-and-forth with one of their recruiters a while ago, and he emphasized GameLift as an interesting opportunity when I expressed my strong distate towards touching anything derived from CryEngine. Some of it was probably the usual hype to win over a skeptical potential hire, but I was given the impression that Lumberyard was in many ways a proof-of-concept for GameLift and related services/systems.

It don't get the impression Lumberyard was ever intended to compete in the same league as Unity and Epic/Unreal - rather they paid a chunk of money to CryTek so they could have full control over integrating a mainstream "generic" game engine with their technology. This makes good sense considering Amazon's cloud focus. They want to become the preferred hosting partner for online and multiplayer games. Unity and Epic/Unreal want a piece of this market, so they're not going to be particularly helpful. If Amazon could get GameLift off the ground with Lumberyard, it would be much easier to attract developers using in-house engines or Epic/Unreal.

Unfortunately, CryEngine is terrible mess. Now this is the case for other engines, so that's not damning in itself. But CryEngine is ill-suited to multiplayer/online on an architectural level. And now that GameLift has Unity and Unreal support, it's far less relevant as a proof-of-concept.

So Amazon will still be investing in game technology. They may even try to salvage Lumberyard. But I'm pretty sure they have their focus on cloud/platform/integration services, and Lumberyard is really just one of many projects meant to strengthen that position.

How does this impact CIG/Star Citizen/Squadron 42? Not much. Even if Amazon abandoned Lumberyard completely, it wouldn't really matter much - CIG would highlight how "Star Engine" is not truly it's own engine. Fans will still think there's a pile of cutting edge technology ready to be sold to the game development world at large.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I do! I do remember that! And also all the other times you showed the Idris in a video like it was just around the corner. Remember the time they tried to ride a car up the ramp into it and the car exploded? Remember the time you showed it engaging in ship-to-ship combat? Remember the like 800 previews and reworks and re-previews you did of the interior?

And it's still not even on the roadmap! Funny CIG, it seems like maybe some of the things you've showed off are actually bullshit cockteases to get people spending more money! Thanks for reminding me!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Remember when the Idris flew over Port Press Screens And Continue 4 years ago?
#bullshot #getarefund #lolthanksforthecashnerds

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

I have heard that the hold up with the Idris is due to Lando copying a directory that held all the Sand Worm data in it on to the server that stores the Idris and the Sandi Worm then attacked the ship and damaged it's files so they had to remake them but the only guy who could do this tripped over the missing chair from the other ship and hit his head and has amnesia and Chris Roberts is such a caring person and best Chairman since he was a little blacklisted out of Hollywood producer that he personally has been telling the guy to take his time and "just do it" when he is ready.

That sounds believable to me.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Sarsapariller posted:

I guarantee that there will be functioning player-crafted ships in Starbase accurately representing every major and popular design in Star Citizen, long before any of those ships is operational in the actual game.

I might yet get my banu merchantman :woop:

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

peter gabriel posted:

Remember when the Idris flew over Port Press Screens And Continue 4 years ago?
#bullshot #getarefund #lolthanksforthecashnerds

Have you got a gimmick ready for Citcon? I reckon be the guy who's bought two Idrises but would be happy if the servers can only handle one at a time.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

I said come in! posted:

Very excited for Rebel Galaxy Outlaw. Massive amount of detail and content that blows Star Citizen out of the water, and without shady crowd funding practices.

It's the main reason why I do not want Store Citizer to fail.
It is like a galaxy sized drainage hole, sucking all the scum and dross from the gaming world into a convenient, expensive place, allowing other games to thrive without the psycho-morons voicing their Nazi opinions.

Store Citizer: It's like Thanos for gamers

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dogeh posted:

It's the main reason why I do not want Store Citizer to fail.
It is like a galaxy sized drainage hole, sucking all the scum and dross from the gaming world into a convenient, expensive place, allowing other games to thrive without the psycho-morons voicing their Nazi opinions.

Store Citizer: It's like Thanos for gamers

There are still a lot of awful people in other games. It is nice of Star Citizen to gather so many of them in one place, though, so they become easier to avoid.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Krycek posted:

I might yet get my banu merchantman :woop:

I thought bm's were the only thing this project had already manage to deliver

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

I've been watching Lesnik's "All Wings Considered" YT show and it's pretty good in a niche/indie kind of way.

I don't know what he and his buddy are about (I started playing PC games after space sims peaked), but I always appreciate PC-focused niche content. Lesnik and his bro literally know every little detail about Wing Commander it's extended universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

skeletors_condom posted:

I've been watching Lesnik's "All Wings Considered" YT show and it's pretty good in a niche/indie kind of way.

I don't know what he and his buddy are about (I started playing PC games after space sims peaked), but I always appreciate PC-focused niche content. Lesnik and his bro literally know every little detail about Wing Commander it's extended universe.

I bet if they'd put him in charge we'd be playing SQ42 already.