Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

It's not that there's no longer a canon, but that they're all canon.

Saoshyant posted:

ORAS changed everything. There's no longer a canon when anything can be explained by alternate realities.

To expand on these,

-XY essentially retconned the distant past, hinting at this being a different timeline to everything that happened in Gens 1 through 5
-ORAS came along and cemented the fact the pre Kalos and post Kalos are essentially parallel timelines
-USUM essentially introduced a pokemon multiverse, introducing villains from either of these timelines in alternate universes where the playable characters we've played as all of these games never existed

So at the moment, every mainline game is canon, and there has been the odd piece of NPC dialog that hinted at the potential that every single save file in all of these mainline games is canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
And 🗡️🛡️ introduce a timeline in which Thanos won.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Crawfish posted:

So at the moment, every mainline game is canon, and there has been the odd piece of NPC dialog that hinted at the potential that every single save file in all of these mainline games is canon.

So every time someone starts a game of Pokemon Sun or Moon, they create a new timeline where Lillie, Nebby, Gideon, and Null went through all that pain?

That's some time is a flat circle poo poo

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I'm unironically interested on what over the top dumb poo poo this gen has to add to the DEEP POKEMON LORE.

They managed to keep it relatively tame for like 17 years with "Kanto and Hoenn take place at roughly the same time, and then Johto and Sinnoh take place at roughly the same time" and "Actually Giovanni is Silver's Dad" being the biggest, wildest plot twists the series had.

And then Kalos happened.

Gripweed posted:

So every time someone starts a game of Pokemon Sun or Moon, they create a new timeline where Lillie, Nebby, Gideon, and Null went through all that pain?

That's some time is a flat circle poo poo

It straight up makes the trading one off legendaries with friends over the internet/link cable thing actually kind of make sense in universe though.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I think Team Rainbow Rocket's members all come from timelines/playthroughs where the player character never completed the game for whatever reason (they restarted their game or just straight up stopped playing).

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So when's Into the Pokeverse?

Also best anime league confirmed: either guzma or ash will be champs

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Wait, serious? Are they already at the finale?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Congratulations, Guzma

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ash wins the League (not that hard, given the competition) and then loses Title Defense to Masked Royal

Cue SM Cultists claiming SM is the best saga based on the events of one episode while ignoring the other 99.95% of the series that contradicts their claim 100-fold

Christ, they're insufferable...

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SM is a really fun series, I don't really know how anyone could hate it. It's just not very shonen, it's more slice of life.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

League starts next week but the winner of the league gets an exhibition match with Royal Mask. Guzma could get a good story beat with that, but Ash vs Royal is in the OP, so who knows

Vinylshadow posted:

Ash wins the League (not that hard, given the competition) and then loses Title Defense to Masked Royal

Cue SM Cultists claiming SM is the best saga based on the events of one episode while ignoring the other 99.95% of the series that contradicts their claim 100-fold

Lmao

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Vinylshadow posted:

They're right.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It's a good episodic series, but hahahaha if you're expecting a full coherent story that they reboot at least twice during the series

(Once after the Aether Arc and again after the Necrozma Arc)

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Vinylshadow posted:

Vinylshadow posted:

It's a good episodic series, but hahahaha if you're expecting a full coherent story that they reboot at least twice during the series

lol

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

At least I'm honest :allears:

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
god DANG I'm mad about the pokemon shows people like

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

So, how's it "rebooted"?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So, how's it "rebooted"?

They completely drop Lillie's fear of pokemon and start gearing her up to be a trainer (then don't give her anything for the next third of the series)

After Necrozma, it's all about giving the classmates character development so they're "ready" for the League, despite only having one or two pokemon at most and zero meaningful battle experience

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

They completely drop Lillie's fear of pokemon and start gearing her up to be a trainer (then don't give her anything for the next third of the series)

After Necrozma, it's all about giving the classmates character development so they're "ready" for the League, despite only having one or two pokemon at most and zero meaningful battle experience

I forget, was Lillie's fear actually resolved in a previous episode (I know she at least started to warm up to them a little bit more after getting Snowball) or did they just drop it entirely with no explanation?

It's been said before but Team Rocket are ironically more successful when they're just being regular people doing odd jobs as opposed to when they're actually trying to be evil.

On another note, does a new Pokemon season usually start before or after the game it's based on is released (we seem to be entering Sun & Moon's final arc now after all).

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

I forget, was Lillie's fear actually resolved in a previous episode (I know she at least started to warm up to them a little bit more after getting Snowball) or did they just drop it entirely with no explanation?
It was solved when Lillie realized that Silvally hadn't been the one attacking her, but was instead defending her from a Nihilego - Faba had suppressed her memories using his Hypno to cover up his blunders

quote:

It's been said before but Team Rocket are ironically more successful when they're just being regular people doing odd jobs as opposed to when they're actually trying to be evil.

On another note, does a new Pokemon season usually start before or after the game it's based on is released (we seem to be entering Sun & Moon's final arc now after all).

Japan tends to start the anime around the same release date as the games, with the dub following suit the following year

During the AG days, there was a year delay between the initial sub and dub broadcast (Nov 21 2002/Nov 1 2003)

DP started in September 06, with the dub starting the following June '07

BW started September 2010, dub Feb 2011

XY Oct 2013 & Jan 2014

SM Nov '16 & Feb/March '17

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

Or maybe the uh "cultists" just like something you dont, did that ever cross your mind?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Farecoal posted:

hosed up that i couldn't use beedrill in sky battles in X

I will never not be bitter that I couldn't use my Hawlucha bro to suplex those smug loving birds in Sky Battles. Someday I should roll through all the sky battlers I skipped with an Eelektross and teach them the meaning of pain.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Larryb posted:

Yeah, she solved it bit by bit over time. Starting with only being able to touch Snowball, then trying hard to actually touch more, including Nebby, and finally remembering and working through her trauma from the UB incident let her touch pokemon and she had an episode dedicated to loving being with pokemon, which includes this jumping rope sequence that nearly killed the animator

Anyway, yeah, TR are best as legit, and this league is working on that. They're getting the ball rolling by selling food before the league starts and doing a killing. And Jessie AND James are both competing. :allears:

Vinylshadow posted:

Year 3 has the class get power ups and they've spent scenes in the last cour training to actually be a part of the league since they're now all worthy of Z-Rings and have strong pokemon; it's a nice way to escalate the show alongside with legendaries leading to more fantastical stories. loving lol at that being a "reboot"

This week was an extra nice episode, a ton of little visual gags sprinkled on three heartwarming storylines that set up the league.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I wonder if Nessa and Milo will join Ash as traveling companions in the upcoming 🗡️🛡️ season

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

TheKingofSprings posted:

Congratulations, Guzma

He deserves it.

Guzma is the best boy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Considering gyms are back I’m assuming the Sword & Shield adaption is going to be a slightly more traditional season as opposed to switching things up again like they did here. As long as they can keep it interesting I’m fine with that personally.

That said, other than the fact that they severely toned down Lusamine I’ve been enjoying the SuMoon anime so far, it was a nice change of pace all things considered.

Seeing as the next game isn’t out until November (unless Japan’s getting it earlier) I’m curious how they’re going to drag things out for 4 more months as well as how badly Ash is going to lose this time around. I’m hoping he makes it to the fight with Kakui/Masked Royal at least.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 23, 2019

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The SwSh (please come out with a third version so SS(X) is a good abbreviation again) gyms seem more like Colosseums, which are cool

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The SwSh (please come out with a third version so SS(X) is a good abbreviation again)

just use 🗡️🛡️

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Larryb posted:

Considering gyms are back I’m assuming Sword & Shield is going to be a slightly more traditional season as opposed to switching things up again like they did here. As long as they can keep it interesting I’m fine with that personally.

That said, other than the fact that they severely toned down Lusamine I’ve been enjoying the SuMoon anime so far, it was a nice change of pace all things considered.

Seeeing as the next game isn’t out until November (unless Japan’s getting it earlier) I’m curious how they’re going to drag things out for 4 more months as well as how badly Ash is going to lose this time around. I’m hoping he makes it to the fight with Kakui/Masked Royal at least.

I'm thinking so, too. Honestly, I'll give it a shot, but this season being so different, specially not having episodes constantly involve one-shot characters or the third act being TR messes with everyone and there's a battle, is what got me to actually watch the whole thing. Like, bless silver2195, I could never ever handle watching so many pokemon episodes in a row without zoning out.

They're setting up finding Mohn pretty hard, I gotta assume that we're gonna be navigating Ultra Space for a little bit; maybe adapt that scene where Guzma is skulking in the cave.

I think Ash is getting to the finals vs Guzma. This week's episode explicitly states that whoever becomes Champion by winning the league, will then get to challenge Masked Royal in an exhibition match. And Ash vs Masked Royal is in the current OP, AND two weeks ago Ash travel backed in time, kicked 5-Year Old Kukui's rear end, and told young kukui to get stronger if he ever wants to beat him. On the other hand, the past twenty years should teach me better than to think Ash can score the win.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I just wish Lillie would push her Ice Stone into Snowy's face already

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Vinylshadow posted:

SM Cultists

this whole post is really pathetic, like too much to even laugh at

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZJEiFxHstA

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Like, bless silver2195, I could never ever handle watching so many pokemon episodes in a row without zoning out.

There's a reason I didn't actually watch most of the Johto episodes, and even in Hoenn I skipped a few. It does help that by mid-Diamond and Pearl, the writers seem to have reined in Team Rocket a bit; they still sometimes attack Ash and friends with their crappy robots, but more often than not their role is more sneaking around in the background.

There are still some crappy episodes, to be sure, and even some new additions to my stock plots list:

• Pokemon love triangles.
  • A wild Pokemon kidnaps a human in order to get help of some sort for another wild Pokemon.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

The Black and White anime's biggest improvements regarding Team Rocket was not to shoehorn them into every episode. Now they don't need to appear in certain episodes and give that available screen time towards other characters or something other then an obligatory appearance to make a joke and then leave.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Once thing I've noticed is Team Rocket never ever interrupts an "official" battle anymore, I think they finally got that that really pisses off the viewers.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Once thing I've noticed is Team Rocket never ever interrupts an "official" battle anymore, I think they finally got that that really pisses off the viewers.

The last time I can remember them doing that was against Tate and Liza. But that was sort of an exception (the Rocket interruption was there to justify the battle restarting outside instead of in the actual Gym, so that Ash could use the Thunder Armor tactic). Prior to that their last interruption was...Clair, I think? But again, there was a narrative purpose (to work in the Dragon's Den storyline without Clair being the sore loser she was in the games).

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 23, 2019

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I figured that out way the hell back during the first Pokémon League in 1999. There's this build-up that Ash and Richie are going to be rivals and it got shat on by Team Rocket being themselves and Charizard being a stick in the mud as usual.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Star Man posted:

I figured that out way the hell back during the first Pokémon League in 1999. There's this build-up that Ash and Richie are going to be rivals and it got shat on by Team Rocket being themselves and Charizard being a stick in the mud as usual.

Let's be honest, Ash didn't deserve to get as far as he did in the Indigo League.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI_oCy_3sVo

This is amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

God is dead, we have killed him, and G̴̢̢̛͙͈̳̥̦̟͚̺͙̰̘̀́̓͊̎̿̌̿̔͊̊̿͂͠á̷̢̖̰̫̯̮͕̺̱̟̖̺̩̦̞̔͑͝m̵̨̟͈͓̹̌ę̸̡͍̞̥̩͉͇̲͌̈̅̊͊͗̕f̵̛̘̗̯̪̮̭̱͖̼̜͖͇͈̍̈̐̍͛̐̃̚̕͝ͅr̵̨̳̰̹̠̫͈̼̱̗̬̳̞̗̦̈͒̉̿̈́̏͋́̀́̿́̕͘͝e̸̺̣̮͛͊̑a̸̛̰͍̎͒̾̽̃͂̈́̍̾͋̚k̸͉͈̲̐̓̾̓̽̈̋̒͊̈́̉ ̴̢̤͔̥̟̱̲̳̯̰̞̝͒͂͒̄̅̅̆͛̚͝ṛ̸̹͕̻̝̠̭̱̺̙͊̇e̸̡̳̝͒͐̒̂͆͂̽̍̆̎͗͗̌́͘͜f̵̦̪̖̻͉̬͇̤̻̅̀̀̄̆̏̋̾u̵͎̣͐̈́͂̏͆̋͌͆͘͝s̷̖̺̙̘͎̻͙̘̼͖̔͂e̷̲͖͐̎̑̃̄̍̋̀̊͘d̶̯̂ ̷̧̨̧̭̹̖̱̪̻̞̀̃͗͘͝ṫ̶̢̥̞̭̠̭̺̗̗̟̟̦͗͌͒̐̉̊̅̐̉͘͜͝õ̵̢̧̼̰̹̗̺̺̱̱̜̖̻͑̿̆̋̐͗͊̋̽̍͜͜͠ ̶̯̬͙͖̩̼̀̿̓̀͗͂͘c̸̢̯̰̝͔̮͖͉̖͕̼͚͕͚̋̾̀͒͂̍̈̓̐͐͘͜͝ḧ̶̛͚̮̝̣͕̞̞̩̦̩a̴̢̜͎͓̻̩͉͉̤̻̱̣͌͗̾̆͌̀̂͂͋̎̐̚n̵̢͉̯̜̟̩͍̗͍̝̺̿̏̍̓́̊̎͠͝g̵̢̧̛̬̜̼̗̞̲͕̜̦̮͇͊̅̒̋̾e̷̢̨̟̬̼̞̻̬̳̜̐͒͒̑.