Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

heads up, Hifiman Sundara's are going cheap again. $350 new, but some are listed on Amazon for as little as $300: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B077XDWT7X/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I bought a new in box pair of DT770 Pro 80 ohms at a flea market for $50. I already own the 32 ohms with pleather pads, and the 80s are definitively an upgrade both in sound quality and comfort.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

grack posted:

Clearly you just need to tie a helium balloon or two to your headphones.

Holy poo poo. This is brilliant.

Someone needs to be selling audiophile grade snake oil headphone balloons that "help balance the sound".

"Pure electron polymer balloons for a more paradise like harmonic experience." yours for only $50 per individual balloon, which in no way resemble those cheap party balloons that come in packs of 100 for a couple bucks at the supermarket.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Honestly with the helium shortage $50 per balloon might not end up being that far off.

Which means audiphiles will buy them for $400.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

RichterIX posted:

Honestly with the helium shortage $50 per balloon might not end up being that far off.

Which means audiphiles will buy them for $400.

Don't forget to also sell them special audiophile grade helium in "vintage soviet cannisters that preserve authentic analogue sound" at $800 each for true enthusiasts.

People buy antique vacuum tubes. I'm sure they'll want old diving tanks of compressed air I mean cold war era magic audio gas.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

DancingShade posted:

Don't forget to also sell them special audiophile grade helium in "vintage soviet cannisters that preserve authentic analogue sound" at $800 each for true enthusiasts.

People buy antique vacuum tubes. I'm sure they'll want old diving tanks of compressed air I mean cold war era magic audio gas.

Antique vacuum tubes arent at all snake oil though. They sound different. BETTER is subjective, but they're literally different.

Also, unrelated, but my stupid iSine10s FORCED me into buying a LCD2C and a balanced cable this week. They're coming tomorrow. I'm so excited :cry:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

For my home PC that I do my majority of gaming on, I use Astro A40's, plugged in to my Xbox controller. Comfort is great, sound is adequate. The problem is that since I have a cord going from the headset to the controller, I'll constantly yank the controller off the desk, the headset off the desk, or both.

I'd like to try a wireless headset, but I hear the Astro A50's get static on them and are lossy. Is there a set of headphones that are:

- Budget - $200-600
- Needs a boom mic for voice chat, I guess if this is the dealbreaker then I can get a desk mic but I'd rather not.
- Rock solid wireless connection, preferably lossless
- Over-ear, multi-hour comfort like the A40's, open-air is fine.
- Can't have any noticeable latency since I use for gaming
- Bonus if it has a base station that can recharge it, and has optical-in. Another bonus would be having Bluetooth, and/or Aux-in 3.5 jack so I could use it wired, just for futureproofing.
- Preferred Tonal Balance - Best-sounding headphones I ever had were the AKG K240's I used for 20 years. Comfort was terrible on those but closest to that sound profile is ideal. I'm not an audiophile though so anything between A40 and K240 I'd barely know the difference.

Anyone know what would tick off the most boxes?

edit: Googling around, I spotted the Steelseries Arctis Pro, it has literally every feature I wanted and comes with two batteries so you can swap one out to charge in the base station. The only negative I saw in reviews was someone said there can be white noise, some are claiming newer models dont have it if you don't crank it up all the way. Are there any other competing headsets in this class?: https://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-Arctis-Wireless-Headset-playstation-4/dp/B079YBKT3H/

Turns out they had a few of these Arctis Pro Wireless in stock at my Worst Buy, so I picked one up already and I'm giving it a test run. I'll probably return it and get it cheaper on eBay to keep.

- Headset out of the box clamps my head like a vice but I used the box it comes in to stretch it and it's much better. I wouldn't mind if the ear cups were a little larger/softer like Astros.

- The wireless is stellar: imperceptible latency, and I can walk around my house and not drop the signal, so I can keep listening to YouTubes on the shitter. Claims to be lossless and I have no reason to doubt, I haven't heard any sonic artifacts at all.

- Sound profile is adequate but meh, maybe I'm used to the bassier Astro A40 making these to seem a bit flat in comparison. The built in EQ helps, and turning it up really makes sound effects like sword clashes in Sekiro pop.

- Feature-wise, by far the most thoughtful headset I've ever used. Volume and mic mute on the left ear, pull out the mic boom or retract it into the headset, comfy headband that can't catch my hair, 3.5mm aux-in to use without batteries, dual hot-swappable batteries included so one is always on the charger, optical-in on base station, optical cable and 5 other cables all included, turn the red "mute LED" brightness on the microphone down or off, adjust the OLED brightness on the base station and set it to turn off when not actively using controls, adjust the sidetone volume (how loud your own mic sounds to yourself, like a landline telephone, great attention to detail!), Bluetooth lets you pair to your phone and it'll actually combine BT audio with PC audio so you can hear phone notifications while gaming, it's like they thought of every possible nitpick I could raise and preempted them.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

ddogflex posted:

Antique vacuum tubes arent at all snake oil though. They sound different. BETTER is subjective, but they're literally different.

I have used some tubes that sound fantastic, and some that sound absolutely awful. They definitely color the music. However, I refuse to spend more than 20 dollars on a pair of tubes. I see people advertising stuff like NOS Sylvania ns67gts or whatever for 300/pair. That's insane. You can buy a good digital eq and a cheap pair of tubes and get tube sound AND the tone you want for far less.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

SchrodingersCat posted:

I have used some tubes that sound fantastic, and some that sound absolutely awful. They definitely color the music. However, I refuse to spend more than 20 dollars on a pair of tubes. I see people advertising stuff like NOS Sylvania ns67gts or whatever for 300/pair. That's insane. You can buy a good digital eq and a cheap pair of tubes and get tube sound AND the tone you want for far less.

Oh, I absolutely agree that it's loving stupid, it's just not snake oil. LOL

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat

Zero VGS posted:

Turns out they had a few of these Arctis Pro Wireless in stock at my Worst Buy, so I picked one up already and I'm giving it a test run. I'll probably return it and get it cheaper on eBay to keep.

- Headset out of the box clamps my head like a vice but I used the box it comes in to stretch it and it's much better. I wouldn't mind if the ear cups were a little larger/softer like Astros.

- The wireless is stellar: imperceptible latency, and I can walk around my house and not drop the signal, so I can keep listening to YouTubes on the shitter. Claims to be lossless and I have no reason to doubt, I haven't heard any sonic artifacts at all.

- Sound profile is adequate but meh, maybe I'm used to the bassier Astro A40 making these to seem a bit flat in comparison. The built in EQ helps, and turning it up really makes sound effects like sword clashes in Sekiro pop.

- Feature-wise, by far the most thoughtful headset I've ever used. Volume and mic mute on the left ear, pull out the mic boom or retract it into the headset, comfy headband that can't catch my hair, 3.5mm aux-in to use without batteries, dual hot-swappable batteries included so one is always on the charger, optical-in on base station, optical cable and 5 other cables all included, turn the red "mute LED" brightness on the microphone down or off, adjust the OLED brightness on the base station and set it to turn off when not actively using controls, adjust the sidetone volume (how loud your own mic sounds to yourself, like a landline telephone, great attention to detail!), Bluetooth lets you pair to your phone and it'll actually combine BT audio with PC audio so you can hear phone notifications while gaming, it's like they thought of every possible nitpick I could raise and preempted them.

Thanks for the detailed description. Currently I game using a Sony WH-1000XM3 with bluetooth low energy adapter and it sounds great, but latency is somewhat noticeable if you pay attention to it. Thinking of picking one of these Arctis Pro instead.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zero VGS posted:

This is why you never buy open box returned anything folks.

Hygiene aside this is a good headphone analysis.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
With some more extended use I do like the Arctis but I'm starting to miss the open-back design on my A40's. They felt much more breathable and ambient. The Arctis make a practically airtight seal on my head; if I squeeze them tighter to my head the bass sounds better, and if I spread them to create an air gap then they sound awful. I assume this means I can't use a larger/fluffier earpad type?

I'm kinda tempted to bust out the soldering iron and frankenstein both headsets together so I have the receiver/controls of the Arctis stuck to sides of the A40 instead.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
My dear god. The LCD2C came today. I’ve never heard a non fazor LCD before. I’m. I’m in love. Powering them with an ES100 and a balanced cable. It’s soooo nice. I’m mad at myself for not getting these a long time ago.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ddogflex posted:

My dear god. The LCD2C came today. I’ve never heard a non fazor LCD before. I’m. I’m in love. Powering them with an ES100 and a balanced cable. It’s soooo nice. I’m mad at myself for not getting these a long time ago.

Enjoy it while it lasts. You are walking in a desert and your thirst can only be temporarily quenched with new headphones.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I bought some ATH-MSR7b headphones recently (in poo-brown and gunmetal) and since I still have the original MSR7s kicking around I thought I'd offer my comparison.

First thing to note: these are light. Really light. 180g if the box is telling the truth. Featherweight on your head. Clamp force is now perfect instead of vice-like on the originals and the headband is slightly larger/softer too. Comfort is much improved. If it's squishy it's memory foam.

How do they sound? Pretty similar to the orignals but with improved bass / better highs. I don't mean bright or sibilant, I mean better highs specifically relating to clarity & detail. Bass isn't boosted so much as extended and better quality. I'll use wanker words like textured, tight, punchy not thumpy, feel free to pretend they mean something. I also don't mean to imply the midrange now sucks, it's still there and good as before. Overall an improved revision all around.

The real thing that matters though, a very important difference, is you can now slap on Brainwavz HM5 leather pads without utterly ruining the sound. (if so inclined) On the originals that was a bad idea. I presume this quite significant change is due to the drivers being the newer "sound reality"[tm] ones and they must be working some sort of voodoo.

How do they compare to the LCD-X? Lol get hosed. The Audezes destroy them in every way sonically. On the other hand this is like comparing IEMs to speakers.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 22, 2019

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I have a HE400i/Atom/Khadas bundle for sale if anyone's interested.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
What would be a high-end headphone for a "bass-head"? Thinking over-the-ear/full head and either open or closed design.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

DoctorOfLawls posted:

What would be a high-end headphone for a "bass-head"? Thinking over-the-ear/full head and either open or closed design.

you want something that's a planar in this case, though a few dynamic closed backs are good for this too. however, if you want the best overall experience, strongly suggest open back unless you're in an environment where you can't use an open backed headphone.

open back planar:

Hifiman Ananda
Hifiman Arya
Audeze LCD-X

personally have used all of these and the most slamming can I've heard that works well across genres is the Arya. Ananda is great too, but for me the Arya has that "just right" tonal balance imo. LCD-X is also amazing too if you're more sensitive to higher frequency ranges, but it does lack the clarity of the Hifiman cans. best value is going to be for the Ananda however, you can cop these for LCD-2 Classic prices now.

i'd throw the LCD-2 on here because it does slam, but tonally there are issues with it (eg: almost no treble in spots), and it's still not priced right for what you get.

closed back dynamics:

Beyerdynamic DT1770
Fostex TH900

closed back planar:

Mr Speakers Ether C Flow

the issue you're going to run into w/ closed backs is they will have weird resonances. DT1770 is a great value however, and the TH900 will make you grin from ear to ear if you love bass. Ether C Flow is the best all around headphone imo for the closed backs that will have that bass slam you want.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
Many thanks, 5-HT. I will definitely look into the Hifiman Arya - my understanding is that would be the best choice if one has the money to get it, correct?

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

DoctorOfLawls posted:

I have the dekoni blues as my bass pair and love em. Need an amp though. I hear the Fidelio X2 are also good for bass

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

ChazTurbo posted:

I have the dekoni blues as my bass pair and love em. Need an amp though. I hear the Fidelio X2 are also good for bass

Are those for mowing your lawn?

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

DoctorOfLawls posted:

Many thanks, 5-HT. I will definitely look into the Hifiman Arya - my understanding is that would be the best choice if one has the money to get it, correct?

that's your kilobuck tier recommendation, for all intents and purposes it's a repackaged HE1000 V2, and compared to that it's great value. if price is literally no objection, and you wanna go crazy, get the Hifiman Susvara ($5600 on sale)

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
Slowly accepting that my living situation means that I'm going to have to switch over to headphones instead of my awesome 2 channel Speakers.

Still have the beat up monoprice "DJ" headphones recommended in an older version of this thread. I'll be buying a cheapish headphone amp to make things work. If I want to step up from the monoprice headphones at some point without crossing too far past the point of diminishing returns.

System will be: Turntable -> Phono Pre -> Headamp -> Headphones. They would be purely for music, no gaming or movies.

Would something like Sennheiser 599 be solid?

I can get away with open back noise-wise. I default to Senns since I have easy access to their complete line, and they have been good to me over the years before I switched to the Monoprice headphones. Just asking in case there is a much better bang for buck option out there. Sure, I can stick with monoprice forever, but I don't mind an upgrade after a few years of use.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
599 is fine. It’s a lot less neutral than their prior 5xx releases though, if you liked the sound signature of those.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I don’t know if massdrop is off the table since you mentioned something about “easy access to sennheiser” but the 59X are so versatile that they’re an easy rec in that same neighborhood.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer

Dogen posted:

599 is fine. It’s a lot less neutral than their prior 5xx releases though, if you liked the sound signature of those.

Haha, I have only heard the 201/202 before jumping to monoprice (mainly for the removable cable), so realistically I'm probably going to be blown away by anything!

I'm starting to wonder if my ears would even benefit from something like the 599s over the 559s

With previously releases, would that include the 559, or would I have to go higher to like a 579 to really get neutral? I'm out in the sticks, so trying out beforehand is a bit rough!

eddiewalker posted:

I don’t know if massdrop is off the table since you mentioned something about “easy access to sennheiser” but the 59X are so versatile that they’re an easy rec in that same neighborhood.

Ehh, in the EU, so those are probably out for now.

moflika fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 23, 2019

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

moflika posted:

Haha, I have only heard the 201/202 before jumping to monoprice (mainly for the removable cable), so realistically I'm probably going to be blown away by anything!

I'm starting to wonder if my ears would even benefit from something like the 599s over the 559s

With previously releases, would that include the 559, or would I have to go higher to like a 579 to really get neutral? I'm out in the sticks, so trying out beforehand is a bit rough!

Ehh, in the EU, so those are probably out for now.

how about a pair of focal elex's? they aren't readily available in the EU, but I have a set plus a pair of focal elegia's that I need to unload. elex isn't available in the EU, but I'm willing to ship them there. I'll set up an SA Mart thread soon to make it official.

e: on another note, just going back and listening to some old trance rn. forgot how mid heavy trance use to be. almost anything on ibiza euphoria is amazing for testing mids and highs, and so smooth. matt darey is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0v1hxKDKG4

5-HT fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 23, 2019

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
Something something, I drank the Kool-aid.

After an afternoon dicking around with getting the fit right, and about 7 or 8 calibration runs, I’m satisfied with how they fit and sound.

Are they technologically impressive? Yes. They do exactly as advertised, even if the app leaves a lot to be desired. The ability to fine-tune the sound profile is the biggest missing feature, and there are a few other minor things like being unable to rename or reorder the profiles themselves, and the setup screen elements being out of whack on my iPad, making it impossible to complete all the steps.

Are they well made? Yes. They feel like a premium product, and the supplied accessories are top-notch.

Are they worth the cost? Well, I’m still undecided... I think I could likely get at least one of my sets of far cheaper circumaural headphones sounding almost as good with some careful EQing, and nearly all of my other pairs of headphones are less fatiguing to listen to over long periods. My other headphones aren’t as well built though, don’t have ANC, and most of them lack the convenience of Bluetooth and the ability to add features and improve the sound with firmware updates.

Ultimately, if I find myself getting a lot of use out of them, then they’ll be worth it.

Bass Ackwards fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 23, 2019

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer

5-HT posted:

how about a pair of focal elex's? they aren't readily available in the EU, but I have a set plus a pair of focal elegia's that I need to unload. elex isn't available in the EU, but I'm willing to ship them there. I'll set up an SA Mart thread soon to make it official.

e: on another note, just going back and listening to some old trance rn. forgot how mid heavy trance use to be. almost anything on ibiza euphoria is amazing for testing mids and highs, and so smooth. matt darey is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0v1hxKDKG4

Thanks for the offer!

It'll be a minute before I go for new headphones, since I already have a pair. Going for the headamp first and then I'll see. :effort: might have me stick with the cheap pair I have since I'm just looking to bridge the gap until I can go back to blasting my speakers.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

moflika posted:

I mean probably I went from a 555 to 598s a couple years ago and I can tell the difference.

The 599 is a little different because to me it’s kind of a departure from the Sennheiser sound (flat). If you can I’d try listening to a few different things in your price range.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer
Alright cool, thanks the input!

I can already tell how this is going to go for me. I generally enjoy getting solid gear, so that I won't be held back by "weak links". I just never thought I was going to be in a situation where I have to stick to headphone listening so often.

As always, you get what you pay for, and since the HD600s are so tried and tested, and can be found on sale... I'll wait for those. Monoprice will just have to do until then. Getting the 599s puts me too close to "might as well just go one step higher" territory. haha

CornbeefAndCabbage
Feb 20, 2006
Spin round' the carousel
I need a recommendation for wireless headphones/iems/whatever to use in an old alienware laptop.

Preferably with heavy bass and isolation, under 100 dollars.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CornbeefAndCabbage posted:

I need a recommendation for wireless headphones/iems/whatever to use in an old alienware laptop.

Just for music or other stuff too? Only reason I ask is because depending on the BT it could make the audio delay a little annoying.

CornbeefAndCabbage
Feb 20, 2006
Spin round' the carousel

MarcusSA posted:

Just for music or other stuff too? Only reason I ask is because depending on the BT it could make the audio delay a little annoying.

It's just for music

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

CornbeefAndCabbage posted:

easy, you want good bass cannons w/ clarity sub $100? okay.

Massdrop x E-MU Purple Hearts
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-e-mu-purpleheart

or if you can stretch just a little, you'll get something significantly better

Beyerdynamic DT770
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01ERLN180

5-HT fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jun 24, 2019

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

metaxus posted:

Something something, I drank the Kool-aid.

After an afternoon dicking around with getting the fit right, and about 7 or 8 calibration runs, I’m satisfied with how they fit and sound.

Are they technologically impressive? Yes. They do exactly as advertised, even if the app leaves a lot to be desired. The ability to fine-tune the sound profile is the biggest missing feature, and there are a few other minor things like being unable to rename or reorder the profiles themselves, and the setup screen elements being out of whack on my iPad, making it impossible to complete all the steps.

Are they well made? Yes. They feel like a premium product, and the supplied accessories are top-notch.

Are they worth the cost? Well, I’m still undecided... I think I could likely get at least one of my sets of far cheaper circumaural headphones sounding almost as good with some careful EQing, and nearly all of my other pairs of headphones are less fatiguing to listen to over long periods. My other headphones aren’t as well built though, don’t have ANC, and most of them lack the convenience of Bluetooth and the ability to add features and improve the sound with firmware updates.

Ultimately, if I find myself getting a lot of use out of them, then they’ll be worth it.

I tried them (having a company budget for audio comparisons is nice), the Otoacoustic tuning thingy surely works, by which I mean that the audio quality before I ran the calibration they sounded like a dumpster fire and afterwards they sounded 'not bad', like the A/B comparison between on\off was night and day, but then I made a comparison between the Nura's, a pair of Sennheiser HD215s, my Jabra 45ts TWI and the Audeze Mobius; at the end of the day they sounded comparable or worse.

The corrective process is not simple EQ, there is some dynamic bass process, probably missing fundamental based, so to me the bass response sounded unnatural and fake, I don't like it when the bass signal is boosted dynamically because it completely changes the mix of the song. I also really didn't like the way you have to put these on, there's something intrusive about the whole process.

So, ultimately, I considered these to be an okish proof of concept, maybe for someone with really impaired hearing this would make a huge difference but for the rest of us you can probably do better for cheaper (or way better for the same price). If they had a way to apply the otoacoustic correction to a pair of headphones who don't have the super strange overear\in-ear design thingy it would be interesting.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Nuraphones could sound amazing but I'm not shelling out money for an in-ear torture device HR Geiger frankensteined to a pair of regular headphones.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Helping my bf pick out a pair.

Budget - Prob 150 or so
Source - Desktop computer with no audio card
Isolation Requirements - None.
Preferred Type of Headphone - He seems fine with studio style headphones but the ones I've used (ATH M50x, DT 770 80 Ohm) tend to "put too much pressure on his ears."
Preferred Tonal Balance - Neutral
Preferred Music - primarily Hip-Hop and Jazz, with some EDM stuff

His prior headphones have been whatever he's grabbed cheap.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Since I got the LCD2C I really have no use for my Monoprice M1060 anymore. They're great cans, just uh, too similar to be useful. That being said, anyone in here interested in them before I eBay or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

everythingWasBees posted:

Helping my bf pick out a pair.

Budget - Prob 150 or so
Source - Desktop computer with no audio card
Isolation Requirements - None.
Preferred Type of Headphone - He seems fine with studio style headphones but the ones I've used (ATH M50x, DT 770 80 Ohm) tend to "put too much pressure on his ears."
Preferred Tonal Balance - Neutral
Preferred Music - primarily Hip-Hop and Jazz, with some EDM stuff

His prior headphones have been whatever he's grabbed cheap.

Senn 500 series seem to be the comfiest around that price range