Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Andy Dufresne posted:

I spent 5 minutes trying to figure out what this post is trying to say and I still don't get it

IIRC it's an old TCC post of some tryhard showing off in the pictures thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Andy Dufresne posted:

I spent 5 minutes trying to figure out what this post is trying to say and I still don't get it

Did you see when I said after:

"Nope I just clicked on his probation from the drug pics thread and was laughing at him smoking meth and slanging bitcoins and posing with guns. He's living the dream!"

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

MarksMan posted:

I actually use more power than just my crypto, because of my 2 cultivation licenses. The crypto is about 79,000kWh/month, which is definitely more than the cultivation facilities. I feel bad about it sometimes :(

I use between 600 and 800 kWh/month for my entire loving house. You are a loving idiot.

von Vicious
Apr 2, 2015

I'M A GINGER BABY WwwWWaaAaAhhH!!!
MarksMan listen carefully:

you're real loving stupid!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

pretty sure that dipshit isn't even reading the thread anymore, people don't get into bitcoin because of their willingness to follow good advice or criticism

like look at those posts that Harry Potter on Ice pasted. That person is a lifelong tool and completely lacks the ability to introspect, and probably doesn't even fathom what that might mean

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
he seems pretty cool, to me

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:
Missed His MarksMan

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

you guys are 98% wrong

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ghosTTy posted:

im 100% wrong

Powershift posted:

Better idea, give him this one.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Azathoth posted:

Hey, since you proved you're actually mining, lemme say gently caress you for going out of your way to burn shitloads of electricity and be one more shithead contributing to our climate crisis.

A while back you said you feel bad about it sometimes, well you should feel bad all the time for it. On behalf of everyone who's gonna be dealing with the consequences of climate change: eat poo poo you gently caress.
What this person said. Crypto """ miners """ are a blight on our planet.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

ghosTTy posted:

you guys are 98% wrong

lol awesome pie chart

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone considered that the fundamentals of Bitcoin have changed so dramatically this year as to totally justify the price tripling?

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
My copy of David’s book arrived, today. It’ll be a few weeks before I can vouch for the contents, because I just started reading Cliff Stoll’s The Cuckoo’s Egg, but the package is nice. It’s got a thick, glossy cover, and the pages are way sturdier than mass market paperbacks. The printing is crisp and the pages are bright, and the charts and graphics are easy to read. You should probably buy it.

ghosTTy posted:

you guys are 98% wrong

Well, hell. I’m convinced. HodlCalc.com seems trustworthy. Probably no need to click through and check their sources and citations.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Well, hell. I’m convinced. HodlCalc.com seems trustworthy. Probably no need to click through and check their sources and citations.
Number always go up. 1

[1] "HodlCalc - Is It Safe to Invest in Bitcoin in 2019? (Beginner's Guide)." 99 Bitcoins. Accessed June 24, 2019. https://99bitcoins.com/bitcoin/investment/.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

their methodology is literally:

1) what is the price of a bitcoin now?
2) how many days has the price ever been higher than that?
3) profitable days = total days bitcoin has existed - above

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

ghosTTy posted:

you guys are 98% wrong

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
bad bitcoin post here

xtal fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 25, 2019

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

xtal posted:

bad bitcoin post here

Ahh you changed it just in time. I was about to strike.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

xtal posted:

That seems like at least a decent way to calculate the average profit per person over time? It's not like it's going to profit every person every time, and it's obviously contingent on there being some other sucker you can sell it to. It's a statement about history.

Add a human-in-the-loop heuristic so we can roll sweatshops into the mix.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lol

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Ahh you changed it just in time. I was about to strike.

Wht was it?

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Burt Sexual posted:

Lol

Wht was it?
Just a bad take endorsing the infographic as a fair representation of Bitcoin's usefulness as an investment.

Here's my take: the higher the hash rate, the worse bitcoin gets (for the environment). So as it gains popularity, it only gets worse. I don't think it's going away, and that makes me hate it even more.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Just a bad take endorsing the infographic as a fair representation of Bitcoin's usefulness as an investment.

Here's my take: the higher the hash rate, the worse bitcoin gets (for the environment). So as it gains popularity, it only gets worse. I don't think it's going away, and that makes me hate it even more.

Jeez at least gostty posted goatse.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't want to put in the effort for the math, but my intuition didn't change. Still, cryptocurrencies aren't investments, and when I said "you need to find a sucker to sell it to," another word for that is "paying for things." I don't believe in Bitcoin for a good number of reasons, but the fact that the entire financial system just embraced cryptocurrency probably says something. Instead of being anti-Bitcoin maybe you could just be anti-capitalist?

xtal fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 25, 2019

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You would kind of think this thread was done after Mastercard, Visa, eBay, PayPal, and Stripe were like "well, I guess we were wrong!"

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

They're literally just using the word, it's not like Bitcoin in any real sense afaik

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
welp the existing payment systems that are several orders of magnitude more energy efficient and capable of processing transactions adopted some buzzwords for marketing purposes, the computer tulip bulb induced death of capitalism is right around the corner. i guess we were wrong.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

xtal posted:

You would kind of think this thread was done after Mastercard, Visa, eBay, PayPal, and Stripe were like "well, I guess we were wrong!"
Even if we were completely wrong about butts, it would still be funny to see people stomping in here and yelling at wrongthink about their computer money.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Mimesweeper posted:

welp the existing payment systems that are several orders of magnitude more energy efficient and capable of processing transactions adopted some buzzwords for marketing purposes, the computer tulip bulb induced death of capitalism is right around the corner. i guess we were wrong.

I mean to encourage people criticizing cryptocurrency to widen that view to currency in general. I'm not about to hear any complaints about Bitcoin wasting energy when USD is wasting human lives making your shirts and peeling your shrimp. If you aren't willing to disavow capitalism just yet, then a decentralized solution is at least the next best step.

xtal fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 25, 2019

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
strapping the goalposts to an elaborate overgrown RC car to own GBS

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

xtal posted:

Instead of being anti-Bitcoin maybe you could just be anti-capitalist?
I bet a lot of the people in here are both. I know I am. My point is these are in no way mutually exclusive.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

xtal posted:

I mean to encourage people criticizing cryptocurrency to widen that view to currency in general. I'm not about to hear any complaints about Bitcoin wasting energy when USD is wasting human lives making your shirts and peeling your shrimp. If you aren't willing to disavow capitalism just yet, then a decentralized solution is at least the next best step.

btw i saw your pre edit post and lmao forever

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

xtal posted:

If you aren't willing to disavow capitalism just yet, then a decentralized solution is at least the next best step.
What? Why? How does decentralization of currency bring us closer to post-capitalist society?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

NLJP posted:

They're literally just using the word, it's not like Bitcoin in any real sense afaik

Saying they embrace the blockchain crypto approach is quite a stretch. I mean corporations do research and dev for all kinds of crazy poo poo that never goes anywhere.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

xtal posted:

Chinese people get paid in Yuan.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
guys have you considered... yes this excruciatingly wasteful system of decentralized money that's only good for crimes is pretty bad, but... actually all money is bad. so this much worse version of money is actually not that bad.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Fleetwood Crack posted:

What? Why? How does decentralization of currency bring us closer to post-capitalist society?

Capitalism = Bad
Statism = Bad
Capitalism + Statism = Bad + Bad
Capitalism + Statism - Statism = Bad
Bad < Bad + Bad

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

xtal posted:

Capitalism = Bad
Statism = Bad
Capitalism + Statism = Bad + Bad
Capitalism + Statism - Statism = Bad
Bad < Bad + Bad

Ron Paul 2012!! End the fed!

Seriously though, what sort of future do you envision that has no nation-state? How do we combat climate change if we've reduced human organization to the scale of small tribes?

Crypto Cobain fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 25, 2019

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Hey everybody, remember Quadriga? I seem to recall that a goon called theft upon the news breaking and was marginally disappointed when the rebuttal came in that Reddit detectives were wrong. Turns out that the goon and Reddit detectives were right all along. According to Ernst & Young, a professional auditing firm it was all a fraud all along.

Source.

quote:

This incredible twist is detailed in a report out this month [PDF], the fifth in a series from the top-flight beancounters, documenting their ongoing investigation into Quadriga following the unexpected death of Cotten at the age of 30. He died, according to his widow Jennifer Robertson, of complications from Crohn's disease in a hospital in Jaipur, India, last December.

A month later, Ernst & Young were able to access five of Quadriga's six offline cryptocurrency wallets that supposedly only Cotten could unlock, and that hopefully still contained customers' coins. All five had been cleaned out by April 2018. The sixth was emptied on December 3, 2018, six days before Cotten was said to have died during his travels in India.

[...]

The auditing firm found that Cotten made fiat currency deposits not backed by any actual cash into his own accounts on Quadriga, and used these fictitious funds to seemingly buy his own customers' actual cryptocurrency, generating transaction fees for his company in the process and keeping the cyber-coins for himself. "Substantial funds were transferred to Mr Cotten personally and other related parties," the report says.

Ernst & Young said it only about one per cent of these deposits had supporting documentation, and concluded all the other deposits were "not represented by actual fiat or cryptocurrency."
This is good for bitcoin.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

xtal posted:

I found the guy that buys the bacon marketed as gluten free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Ron Paul 2012!! End the fed!

Seriously though, what sort of future do you envision that has no nation-state? How do we combat climate change if we've reduced human organization to the scale of small tribes?

you know... the robots. they'll take care of it. that, and the farming, and repair work etc etc.

guys. we did bring the robots, right? ....right???