Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

CordlessPen posted:

Can you comment on the B8? I'm one click away from semi-impulse-buying the C8 (only because I found it for the same price as the B8, and half as much as the C9) and would love impressions.

its absolutely beautiful. uhd content varies from great to 'wow that looks real'. webOS is incredibly easy to use. the remote (even the pointer function) is great. i REALLY like the b8s stand more than the newer, wider ones although that wouldnt make/break my decision. flipping through inputs and services/apps is snappy and intuitive.

at the time of purchase thru greentoe the c8 wasnt in stock; if it had been i probably would have considered the extra $300-400 cost but i have zero remorse. i would not consider a different line of tvs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

CordlessPen posted:

OLED actually makes me worry that the burn-in will force me to upgrade in a couple of years...

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/permanent-image-retention-burn-in-lcd-oled

Rtings has been doing an image retention test with real world content since 2017. It takes about 1300~ hours of displaying identical content before slight issues with image retention show in test patterns. Brighter static content accelerates this, keeping your screen at sane brightness levels makes it take longer. The long and short of it is, if you aren't watching CNN 20 hours a day on oled light 100, you probably won't ever see any permanent retention during the useful life of the set, and this is using the 2017 version of the them - they've made changes to the panel and the software that drives it since then to improve in this area.

I still wouldn't use one as a PC monitor, however.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The only burn in I would probably worry about would be if you buy floor models. I went to a Fry's and they had a C8 on sale (discounted, obviously) that had a really bad burn in of the Dolby logo right in the middle of the screen.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

imo burn in is basically dont be a dummy. whatever youre doing to cause burn in is probably a behavior you shouldnt be doing in the first place, like game for 12 hours or leave the tv on cable news all day.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Is there a reason TVs don't come with integrated OTA antennas? Maybe I don't understand how antennas work, because the TV is already about the right shape, and running a wire behind the panel seems like it would add minimal size, weight, or cost.
Antennas are more complex that that. Unless you live in a metropolitan area with hefty signals aplenty, youre gonna need to be able to fine-tune your position.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Siroc posted:

I just got an LG OLED C9 and am coming from a 10 year old Panasonic Plasma that finally bit the dust. Cripes, it's incredible.

I bought HDMI 1.3 cables around that time and have been using them since. I plugged them into my C9 and loaded some 4k shows from Amazon Prime on the NVIDIA Shield and an HDR icon pops up in the upper right corner. I didn't think 1.3 was capable of HDR, so why does the TV think it's receiving a 4k picture?

I probably want new cables- these cables seem ok for eARC and VRR in the future, right? https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=301&cp_id=30101&cs_id=3010101&p_id=31230&seq=1&format=2

If you don't mind, which Panasonic Plasma? I am in your same boat (well my plasma is still going) but am thinking about gettimg a C8

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

fyallm posted:

If you don't mind, which Panasonic Plasma? I am in your same boat (well my plasma is still going) but am thinking about gettimg a C8

i went from a p55gt30 from 2011 that still works well.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

fyallm posted:

I had a TC-P50G10 and went to the LG C9. I chose both because of great viewing angles and black levels. Cable content looks the same, 1080p looks a little better on the C9, and 4k content obviously looks markedly better. Save up for it and you won't regret it.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
Count me in on the Panasonic Plasma (65ST30) to C9 dream train.

Biggest issue is figuring out the best way to get rid of the plasma. It has a power supply hum that goes away easily, but seems like it's going to be a pain in the rear end to explain over Craigslist.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Ammanas posted:

imo burn in is basically dont be a dummy. whatever youre doing to cause burn in is probably a behavior you shouldnt be doing in the first place, like game for 12 hours or leave the tv on cable news all day.
Well, right now I use an old laptop as an HTPC and with the years we developed the bad habit of leaving it on the desktop when not in use. Obviously we wouldn't do that on an OLED, but it's gonna be a tough one to break. Better TV apps are going to help though, half the reason we use the laptop so much is that the TV's Netflix/Prime/YouTube apps are such a chore to use.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Shrimpy posted:

Count me in on the Panasonic Plasma (65ST30) to C9 dream train.

Biggest issue is figuring out the best way to get rid of the plasma. It has a power supply hum that goes away easily, but seems like it's going to be a pain in the rear end to explain over Craigslist.

The ST30 had a recall, its the screws on the power supply that are humming.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

CordlessPen posted:

Well, right now I use an old laptop as an HTPC and with the years we developed the bad habit of leaving it on the desktop when not in use. Obviously we wouldn't do that on an OLED, but it's gonna be a tough one to break. Better TV apps are going to help though, half the reason we use the laptop so much is that the TV's Netflix/Prime/YouTube apps are such a chore to use.

Same here, and after I got my Sony with Android TV I haven't touched the computer that I hooked back up to it, I've had no need.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

CordlessPen posted:

Well, right now I use an old laptop as an HTPC and with the years we developed the bad habit of leaving it on the desktop when not in use.

right, yeah like i said. don't do dumb things like leave a static laptop screen displayed for hours. lg has a screensaver that pops when idling on its apps screens.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jimbot posted:

With the TLC 6 series, did they ever overcome that manufacturing defect involving the vertical banding? A lot of the negative amazon reviews mention that it's a fantastic TV but seem to have an issue with that.
My friend bought the 55 last May and it didnt have any banding issues. I just ordered a 65 for delivery next week and hopefully it doesnt have it. :ohdear:

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Does anyone know if the roku voice remote that has the headphone jack will work with a new TCL 5 series? Specifically will the headphones work.

And if it does, can you even buy it anymore because I can't seem to find it.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I replaced my 55" E7 with a 75" Sony X940E in my big room over the weekend and wanted to endorse it as there are 17 left at the ridiculous price of $1998 shipped. I wanted a bigger screen but couldn't swallow $4k+ for a 77 OLED, and I know I'd continue to be nervous about burn-in from gaming HUDs on the OLED.

The screen's gorgeous, gets very bright, and has about the best contrast I've seen on an LCD. I'd say I rarely notice a difference from the OLED contrast -- noticeable blooming on credits, but that's about it. It took me a week to convince myself to pull the trigger, mostly because of the low motion rating on RTINGS, and I'm glad I did -- spent the weekend playing FPS games and didn't notice motion blur at all.

I don't love the TV apps. They're 100% inferior to the LG versions, but if you use an Apple TV or other external media player you're good. Dolby Vision worked on both my Apple TV and LG UBK90. It only has 2 ports that support 4K HDR, so likely best for people with a receiver.

Anyways, pretty outstanding deal on one of the best 2017 models, and $600 cheaper than the X900F at the moment.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The Vizio P65 is on sale at my local Costco for $700. That's... a steal, isn't it?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I dont know dick.

I just bought a house and the previous owners left a bose surround sound system. Id like to connect it to my tv. I have a sharp tv to which I connect a fire stick to watch sling and Netflix.

The back of the surrounding system must be old because theres no hdmi, just component What do I need to do To make this work?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ron Jeremy posted:

The back of the surrounding system must be old because theres no hdmi, just component What do I need to do To make this work?

If your tv has an optical output or line level analog you could conceivably connect them and get it to work but it may not be worth it.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I would get a new receiver if its possible to salvage the speakers. If it an all in one, you lose some functionality because you will need to use an optical out from the TV if possible ( I have a fairly new sony and it has optical out). If the receiver doesnt have at least optical in, I wouldnt bother.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Also, once you set up a receiver from a TV with ARC, you will never go back. As someone who has been loving around with cheap jacked audio systems forever, its like one of those things that completely change how you use a system.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Theres a 3.5mm audio out on the tv...? Could I connect that to to the receiver? The receiver itself is a Bose lifestyle dvd. Copyright on the manual is 2005

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

seiferguy posted:

The Vizio P65 is on sale at my local Costco for $700. That's... a steal, isn't it?
If you're talking about the P65-F1, I just ordered the 65" TCL 6 Series for $700 from Amazon (minus another 15% for paying with Amazon Visa) but now you're making me rethink my decision. Rtings.com seems to slightly prefer the picture quality of the P65 but I'm not sure it's a noticeable difference. The P65 also has a 120Hz refresh but again, not sure when that would really help.

What will probably actually make a difference is the Vizio seems to have a bad UI with no app store whereas the TCL's Roku TV interface is the best on the market. Of course, you can always get a Roku stick for your Vizio so maybe the "better" image quality is worth it? :shrugs:

edit: I haven't checked my local Costco in person but the website says it's the M657 that's $700.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 25, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ron Jeremy posted:

Theres a 3.5mm audio out on the tv...? Could I connect that to to the receiver? The receiver itself is a Bose lifestyle dvd. Copyright on the manual is 2005

Take a photo of all the connectors on the back of this box so people know exactly what youre working with.

I personally run a 3.5mm run into my receiver for zone2 purposes, so it might be possible.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Ron Jeremy posted:

Is that what the back looks like?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
If your tv has optical put and will pass sound to the Bose from your fire stick etc try that (which everyone else has said). Otherwise probably just throw it in the trash.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Is that what the back looks like?

Thats it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yeah if your TV has optical out, plug it into the optical in on the back of that Bose device.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Josh Lyman posted:

If you're talking about the P65-F1, I just ordered the 65" TCL 6 Series for $700 from Amazon (minus another 15% for paying with Amazon Visa) but now you're making me rethink my decision. Rtings.com seems to slightly prefer the picture quality of the P65 but I'm not sure it's a noticeable difference. The P65 also has a 120Hz refresh but again, not sure when that would really help.

What will probably actually make a difference is the Vizio seems to have a bad UI with no app store whereas the TCL's Roku TV interface is the best on the market. Of course, you can always get a Roku stick for your Vizio so maybe the "better" image quality is worth it? :shrugs:

edit: I haven't checked my local Costco in person but the website says it's the M657 that's $700.

The P65 wasn't listed on Costco.com, but I ended up going there and buying it. And when I rung it up at the register, it ended up being $650! Still, drat WA state sales tax pushed it up.

The picture is fantastic, but yeah I'll probably have to snag a device for 4k viewing like a roku beyond what's offered. Which is fine. I've been considering grabbing an nvidia shield for some time to use as a glorified emulator (though with the pi 4 out, that's a much cheaper option).

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
The Pi 4 doesn't support emulators yet and unless you for sure need Dolby Vision, the Shield is definitely the best STB still. Emulation works wonderfully on it too with a lot less legwork than on a Pi

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My Xbox One X randomly turns on with my new LG B8. Never did that with the old Samsung. Anyone know why?

Could be my Fetch (Aussie streaming) box too I guess.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Most likely CEC.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is the LG a9 2nd gen SoC tremendously better than the 1st gen ones for picture quality, noise reduction, input lag, performance etc?

Also wondering if the Samsung Q90R closes the gap enough on OLED that it's a better bet. I play mostly CoD for most of a year for about 20 hours per week, plus I'm an avid politics news watcher. I hear that the Ultra Black technology basically turns the TV into a black hole of ambient light.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 27, 2019

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

My Xbox One X randomly turns on with my new LG B8. Never did that with the old Samsung. Anyone know why?

Could be my Fetch (Aussie streaming) box too I guess.

Yeah, if you've got CEC turned on, every time you turn to that input, it turns on what's connected to it. Right now this is very annoying for me because I only have the PS4 connected, so every time I exit Netflix/Prime/whatever, the TV goes back to HDMI1 and my PS4 turns on, but if I turn CEC off I can't control the PS4 with my remote.

Other than that, I like my C8. 4k really isn't that much of an improvement over 1080p on 55'', if you can even find a decent source, but HDR is really nice and once I figure out my colour settings, I think OLED is going to win me over.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What is a Goon Approved HD TV used mostly for Netflix and occasional casual gaming for ~$500 CAD?

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
What are the options for frame TVs? Preferably in the 45 to 55 inch sizing. And are there any rules of thumb for sizing TVs compared to distance from the couch

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

NofrikinfuN posted:

Is this a good alternative to the 6 series if I want to cheap out? I can't justify 500 for a TV really, but I might be able to justify this and an Apple TV. (Assuming I don't like the built-in Roku)

No one answered this- the 6 seems to be the go-to, is the 5 a good cheap alternative?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Professor Shark posted:

No one answered this- the 6 seems to be the go-to, is the 5 a good cheap alternative?

Nope.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Dont pre budget for Apple TV, use savings to buy a 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Okay, so the Goon Approved (and CNet) is the TCL 65R617?