Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Len posted:

I hope Shore Leave is still as fantastic as I remember and not cringy and awful
Aside from maybe his “Village People”-themed introduction, Shore Leave has aged quite well.

of course that’s largely due to his exhaustive skin care regimen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Skratchez posted:

You can other pedophiles and wish them away to superjail if you like, won't fix anything.
I knew one. When I was a child.

Do the math, then go gently caress yourself.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

I knew one. When I was a child.

Do the math, then go gently caress yourself.

You and me both. I still have the stamp collection.

I'm not necessarily saying they're redeemable. Just that it might be nice. Not gonna quote Mister #metoo CK

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Skratchez posted:

A redemptive arc for a pedophile is pretty progressive.

It really wasn't redemptive and a lot of the jokes were tone-deaf, like the very idea of a pedophile existing was supposed to be funny. Like it wasn't the worst thing in history but it definitely keeps the show from aging well. It's the kind-of topic where treating it with anything short of total seriousness is just too high an ask of the audience.

Len posted:

I hope Shore Leave is still as fantastic as I remember and not cringy and awful

He is but there's some subtext to the joke which, while well-intentioned, definitely toes a line. The entire joke is that Shore Leave is the most flamboyant, stereotypically "out and proud" 24/7 Pride Parade type of guy circa 1994 but is also one of the most competent badasses in the entire show. That joke still works because of a really strong vocal performance and strong framing, but it still has the air of that Willem Dafoe gag from Boondock Saints where his lover tries to cuddle him and he says "don't be such a fag." It's still rooted in really deep-seated perceptions that masculine = good/worthy of respect and feminine/queer = bad/weak. Again it isn't the worst thing in the world, but it definitely dates the show.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Skratchez posted:

They're generally considered to be incurable/irredeemable.

Fighting those urges is no mean feat.

Making cheap jokes about it may be crass but what other show or movie has touched this flaming dogshit? The only thing that comes to mind is Kevin Bacon in The Woodsman.

hatred's pedophilia was caused by the venture equivalent of supersoldier serum, so they were able to cure it also with a serum reversal or something. it was quietly dealt with once the pedophilia jokes got old

mind the walrus posted:

He is but there's some subtext to the joke which, while well-intentioned, definitely toes a line. The entire joke is that Shore Leave is the most flamboyant, stereotypically "out and proud" 24/7 Pride Parade type of guy circa 1994 but is also one of the most competent badasses in the entire show. That joke still works because of a really strong vocal performance and strong framing, but it still has the air of that Willem Dafoe gag from Boondock Saints where his lover tries to cuddle him and he says "don't be such a fag." It's still rooted in really deep-seated perceptions that masculine = good/worthy of respect and feminine/queer = bad/weak. Again it isn't the worst thing in the world, but it definitely dates the show.

it's because when they introduced shore leave as a gag character it's when they were making comparison to how all the different costumed gi joe characters were a lot like the village people, when you think about it. and then continued because he was a very fun character and a good foil for brock samson, where they are both extremely masculine combat guys but shore leave is exactly as homosexual as brock is heterosexual

Mr. Fall Down Terror has a new favorite as of 23:19 on Jun 23, 2019

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

luxury handset posted:

hatred's pedophilia was caused by the venture equivalent of supersoldier serum, so they were able to cure it also with a serum reversal or something. it was quietly dealt with once the pedophilia jokes got old
Yeah, like a season and a half after they got old.

quote:

it's because when they introduced shore leave as a gag character it's when they were making comparison to how all the different costumed gi joe characters were a lot like the village people, when you think about it. and then continued because he was a very fun character and a good foil for brock samson, where they are both extremely masculine combat guys but shore leave is exactly as homosexual as brock is heterosexual
"You don't like it because you obviously didn't understand it :goonsay:"

Dude I got the joke. I explained myself thoroughly.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i'm not intending this to come off as hostile as you seem to be reading it :shrug:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

luxury handset posted:

You do realize there are people just as "heterosexual" as Brock who are gay. :shrug:

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You do realize there are people just as "heterosexual" as Brock who are gay. :shrug:

I have to say that the pride parades are extremely toned down from what they were in the 90s.

I think this is progress just in the sense that you don't have to be all rippling and oily in light bondage gear to get the point across?

Either way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQKJhdhJvGg

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Skratchez posted:

They're generally considered to be incurable/irredeemable.

Fighting those urges is no mean feat.

Making cheap jokes about it may be crass but what other show or movie has touched this flaming dogshit? The only thing that comes to mind is Kevin Bacon in The Woodsman.

British sitcom 'Rev' had a storyline where a convicted paedophile wanted to work doing admin at the (Anglican) church. The vicar agonised over whether to allow it, considering he'd served his time and would have no contact at all with children, but in the end the congregation decided to openly revolt and he had to tell the guy he couldn't hire him. It was handled fairly well. Not like the plot point earlier where a creepy charismatic movement was chased away from the church by one of the regular parishioners touching a lady without her consent! That aged horribly the instant it was written. I like that show but yikes.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
One thing to add is that the Sgt. Hatred jokes weren't particularly well liked when they were first airing. It was one of the few hard misses I remember. The episode where he gets stuck at the kid's movie had a goon comment saying that it was an okay episode, only if it was putting an end to the pedophile jokes. I think there were a few more, but that was the high water mark.

It's kind of the yin and yang of Venture Brothers. They have a lot of fun callbacks and continuity, but that means that when they decide to bring Sgt. Hatred back they included the little background joke from season one of Hatred being the only villain who had gotten creepy with the boys. Except they didn't think about how hosed and unfunny it'd be.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

show me a gay dude with a mullet, i'll wait

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

luxury handset posted:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
drat

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

luxury handset posted:

Perhaps you're familiar with Joe Exotic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc-_7RCFArM

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Your first mistake was assuming mullets weren’t cool.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Skratchez posted:

You can other pedophiles and wish them away to superjail if you like, won't fix anything

I'd say you probably know one but you're posting on SA so you definitely know one.

I think super invasive electronic monitoring would solve the problem if it weren't for the fact that most are fambly and covered up for. And also high functioning sociopaths working as corporate executives who are basically untouchable since they can shovel money at problems.

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be

Reminds me of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The old dude (Wonko the sane?) who ran the universe lived in a place he called Outside the Asylum.

It was a very small place but he had his cat for consultations about important universe issues.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Skratchez posted:

Reminds me of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The old dude (Wonko the sane?) who ran the universe lived in a place he called Outside the Asylum.

It was a very small place but he had his cat for consultations about important universe issues.

Wonko the Sane was a different dude. The Ruler of the Universe's whole thing was that he only believes what his senses directly observe so everything else is theoretical, which (supposedly) made him a perfectly objective arbitrator and decision-maker.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Skratchez posted:

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The Ruler of the Universe's whole thing was that he only believes what his senses directly observe so everything else is theoretical, which (supposedly) made him a perfectly objective arbitrator and decision-maker.

TV Episodes that did age well.

Cause these days, those philosophies both look very attractive.

(Zarquon, I need to relax in a beach house)

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Wonko the Sane was a different dude. The Ruler of the Universe's whole thing was that he only believes what his senses directly observe so everything else is theoretical, which (supposedly) made him a perfectly objective arbitrator and decision-maker.

Also he had no desire for power, or any material wealth beyond regular meals and simple comfort, so was completely unmotivated to abuse systems for personal gain. He only answered questions about ruling the universe to be polite.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Shut up Meg posted:

TV Episodes that did age well.

The Hitchhiker's series has aged remarkably well, especially the first two radio shows which are from the 1970s BBC, home of the world's greatest Jimmy Savile.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Skratchez posted:

I have to say that the pride parades are extremely toned down from what they were in the 90s.

I think this is progress just in the sense that you don't have to be all rippling and oily in light bondage gear to get the point across?

Hmm, yeah, this is a bad take. That stuff went on at pride parades because that was always their point: to take the things that are widely-considered marks of shame and to fight against that perception with pride. The increasing "friendliness" of modern pride celebrations is a pretty big point of contention in the LGBT community.

I mean, I pretty much never see anyone complaining about cheerleaders or oiled-up chicks doing a charity carwash. Maybe the sexism of that concept gets criticized, sure, but nobody's ever like "eww! A woman in a sexualized context! How gross, hide the children in a basement!" They sure as hell do that for gay dudes, though.

Anyway I'm not a straight person and I don't think they were homophobic with Shore Leave or anything. The intention was to make a joke on the bigoted perception that gay dudes aren't masculine - and because they leaned entirely on that perception to make the joke, it comes off kind of poorly in retrospect, but it's not because they wanted to insult people. I'm certainly not offended by Shore Leave, he's funny and cool.

I do disagree with the perception of Brock as "big tough hetero guy" and Shore Leave as "big tough gay guy," though. Brock is clearly just the standard "big tough guy" character, it's got nothing to do with his sexuality, it's just assumed that type of character is always straight. Brock is straight, of course, but it's not really a cornerstone of his character like being gay is for Shore Leave.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Casey Finnigan posted:

I do disagree with the perception of Brock as "big tough hetero guy" and Shore Leave as "big tough gay guy," though. Brock is clearly just the standard "big tough guy" character, it's got nothing to do with his sexuality, it's just assumed that type of character is always straight. Brock is straight, of course, but it's not really a cornerstone of his character like being gay is for Shore Leave.

he was rampagingly hetero in the early seasons when he was still portrayed as a hair trigger murder machine. in the first episode he gets bored and dismisses doc so he can go off with some mexican prostitutes. in the second episode he has howling fightsex with lt. baldovich almost immediately, because he is bored with the space mission. and part of the whole questionable joke at the heart of molotov cocktease's character is that he wants to kill her, but can't (because she is equally good in combat) and he wants to gently caress her, but can't (because she wears a chastity device). as the show matured they toned down brock's aggression in both sex and violence but imo early brock was just as flagrantly straight as shore leave is flagrantly gay. it's just that there's far more diversity in how straight men are allowed to be near camp levels of straight without it being deemed "in your face" like when gay men do it

like of course gay men can like muscle cars, led zeppelin, and seedy strip clubs, but those are all coded as hetero macho guy activities

e: i guess the better way to say it is that brock and shore leave are the same guy, the same extremely jacked special agent who relishes personal combat, except at different extremes of the kinsey scale and coded as such

Mr. Fall Down Terror has a new favorite as of 20:51 on Jun 28, 2019

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i always liked this scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NpsXS8bnHE

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
haha yeah early brock is way different from later brock

his first scene in the first episode, extremely macho and kind of sexual

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwLA9ba5UqU

and then there's this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UwDT7MDD0I

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Casey Finnigan posted:

I mean, I pretty much never see anyone complaining about cheerleaders or oiled-up chicks doing a charity carwash. Maybe the sexism of that concept gets criticized, sure, but nobody's ever like "eww! A woman in a sexualized context! How gross, hide the children in a basement!" They sure as hell do that for gay dudes, though.

You must not live near a lot of fundamentalists. They absolutely do that. They don't want little Hezekiah to get tickles in his dangus.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

MrUnderbridge posted:

You must not live near a lot of fundamentalists. They absolutely do that. They don't want little Hezekiah to get tickles in his dangus.

It’s actually kind of cool that religious fundamentalists lost the culture war, although it’s obviously much worse for everyone that reactionary capitalists won.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

MrUnderbridge posted:

Well, hey, if they're gonna freak out unreasonably about everyone, at least it's consistent. Not bigoted against gay folks* if you just think every single person in the world should be a eunuch.

* Yes I know fundamentalists are actually homophobic as hell :eng99:

Anyway to talk about Venture Bros some more, I think it's way worse to have a villainous character that's ambiguously coded as gay, like in 90s Disney movies, than to have a character that embodies gay stereotypes but is portrayed positively and heroically, like Shore Leave. Yeah, he's like a total caricature, and it's overboard. Plus, if society ever gets to a point where most people don't associate a gay man with weakness, their attempt to buck the stereotype will fall flat - people are gonna be like "why did they make this military guy so campy for no reason?" But, I dunno, at the end of the day he's one of the cooler characters in the fictional universe, and far less weird and hosed up than most other people on the show, anyway. It's not the dream gay character representation from heaven but for a show that started in the mid-2000s where every other character has massive psychological issues, it's fine for what it is.

The gay couple in Mission Hill was very well-written. That was a great show.

Casey Finnigan has a new favorite as of 22:57 on Jun 28, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
in a world where there's all kinds of ridiculous concept-personalities running around in absurd costumes, a guy who is tom of finland's take on james bond is relatively toned down imo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Brock's characterisation is a bit interesting because it's actually acknowledged by the show as a recent change- flashbacks generally revert to his stoic disinterested murder machine characterisation, and imply that the Venture Bros have died several dozen times because he's too busy getting his fight/gently caress on, while the less hypercompetent but more rounded Sgt Hatred actually does a better job protecting the boys and gets a higher body count of the Monarch's henchman, because he actually uses guns and advanced tactics. (That said, Brock CAN be very intelligent and resourceful, he just usually doesn't bother)

Shore Leave is also primarily a parody of Shipwreck from GI Joe and how campy that franchise was in general. Hell, the writers mentioned they have a hard time coming up with names for OSI members because it's very difficult to find horrible puns that haven't already been taken. (hence why most OSI codenames are more bad taste ones that wouldn't pass muster for a children's franchise)

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It’s actually kind of cool that religious fundamentalists lost the culture war, although it’s obviously much worse for everyone that reactionary capitalists won.

The fundamentalists aren't going down without a fight, usually doing so by teaming up with the reactionary capitalists and fascists and co-opting progressive language.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Never realized how many anti-climate change episodes of South Park there were.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Gaunab posted:

Never realized how many anti-climate change episodes of South Park there were.

It's not often that South Park feels the need to apologize for South Park, but they've actually written episodes walking back a lot of that of late. I believe the latest season had basically a 'ManBearPig is real' episode.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Parker and Stone can apologize by killing themselves if they’re feeling guilty.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Parker and Stone can apologize by killing themselves if they’re feeling guilty.

On the other hand the whole last season was basically "we were wrong about a lot stuff and we hosed up" and I think it's good for their audience to see that even if most people choose to ignore it 🤷🏿‍♀️

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
This is kind of a tangent, but I've been going through all the fifties and sixties-era TV on Amazon Prime the last couple weeks, and it's interesting to see how much society and personal interactions have changed, obviously, but also how much hasn't changed at all, and how many sixties sitcom scripts could be reused in modern sitcoms today without updating anything except the outfits. It's also interesting how you can see some society changing over the course of some of the longer running shows, like there's an episode in the first season of The Andy Griffith Show from 1960 where Andy's girlfriend threatens to run for city council and Andy and basically ever male character on the show (including Opie!) are shocked and appalled that a woman would run for city council. Then they do a somewhat similar premise (but not a direct sequel) seven seasons later in 1966 where Aunt Bee is going to run for city council and asks Andy something like "what, you don't think women should be involved in politics?" and Andy's reaction is "no, no, I get it." I definitely wouldn't watch most of these shows all the way through, but skipping around has been fun, and a few of them are still pretty entertaining (again, sitcoms in the style of How I Met Your Mother or Frasier have apparently not evolved much over the decades in their setups and jokes.)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Koalas March posted:

On the other hand the whole last season was basically "we were wrong about a lot stuff and we hosed up" and I think it's good for their audience to see that even if most people choose to ignore it 🤷🏿‍♀️

Have they apologized for single-handedly melding antisemitism with “ironic” nihilism ready-made to metastasize across the internet? That’s probably their biggest crime, just above global warming denial and using a black character as their mouthpiece to decry hate crimes as a concept.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC they eventually had Cartman completely stop having offensive opinions and just have him being lovely in other ways.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC they eventually had Cartman completely stop having offensive opinions and just have him being lovely in other ways.

That is laudable, but I kind of feel that the damage is too great barring something like them donating all their assets to the SPLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Randallteal posted:

This is kind of a tangent, but I've been going through all the fifties and sixties-era TV on Amazon Prime the last couple weeks, and it's interesting to see how much society and personal interactions have changed, obviously, but also how much hasn't changed at all, and how many sixties sitcom scripts could be reused in modern sitcoms today without updating anything except the outfits. It's also interesting how you can see some society changing over the course of some of the longer running shows, like there's an episode in the first season of The Andy Griffith Show from 1960 where Andy's girlfriend threatens to run for city council and Andy and basically ever male character on the show (including Opie!) are shocked and appalled that a woman would run for city council. Then they do a somewhat similar premise (but not a direct sequel) seven seasons later in 1966 where Aunt Bee is going to run for city council and asks Andy something like "what, you don't think women should be involved in politics?" and Andy's reaction is "no, no, I get it." I definitely wouldn't watch most of these shows all the way through, but skipping around has been fun, and a few of them are still pretty entertaining (again, sitcoms in the style of How I Met Your Mother or Frasier have apparently not evolved much over the decades in their setups and jokes.)

Alas, the episode ended with Aunt Bee dropping from race upon realizing that Howard Sprague was much more qualified after he schooled her in a public debate.

Some scripts of The Andy Griffith Show could carry over, mainly those dealing with Opie becoming a young adult, and those that are peak Barney Fife. Dig further and there are a lot of episodes that wouldn't look good if played now like they were then. Andy Taylor's relationships with women were pretty problematic.