Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you really need an extremely literal explanation, btw, then the issue people are having is that via mashu, the author of agartha is expressing the idea that your physical sex is the same as your gender identity, and furthermore that your physical sex is relevant to who you are as a person, an idea known as gender essentialism which is heavily tied to transphobia, for what i hope are obvious reasons

obviously the author of agartha did not set out to express this exact philosophical stance, they just wanted to make a random off the cuff gag, and id put money on the idea that while they have no idea about trans issues if you went up and asked them they'd go 'yeah sure people can do whatever ig,' so they aren't the world's worst transphobe (probably), but it is something that feeds into transphobic ideas and statements so its reasonable that people would read it as such

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Furnaceface posted:

Finally smashed my way through the rest of Okeanos, is London going to be tough with just a level 70 Herc, level 60 Artoria Alter and level 45 Hans?
London is still in that "I can pretty much solo this with the right support" part of early FGO, so yeah, IMO.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
So I basically ran this entire event with a Gorgon/Jalter/Merlin setup and had fun except for one of the Megalos fights that made me burn a set of command seals. How did everyone else fare?

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

Shiny777 posted:

That the term doesn't line up 100% with the dictionary definition of phobia doesn't make it not a widely used term that is understood and accepted as valid. This definitional pedantry is a really dumb hill to die on.

Then none of posters are using 'transphobia' in the widely accepted definition either, most people seems to not agree on what it means, especially when it was was used as a overly-generalizing label for people not sharing the exact same standards on etiquette or behavior. These labeling seems more like part of the attempt for social political engineering.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Randomzx posted:

Then none of posters are using 'transphobia' in the widely accepted definition either, most people seems to not agree on what it means, especially when it was was used as a overly-generalizing label for people not sharing the exact same standards on etiquette or behavior. These labeling seems more like part of the attempt for social political engineering.

rofl

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Randomzx posted:

dude just gently caress off

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Randomzx posted:

the social political engineering of 'i think this thing sucks'

VgameT
Dec 31, 2007

therefore I only muttered "neu"

RanKizama posted:

So I basically ran this entire event with a Gorgon/Jalter/Merlin setup and had fun except for one of the Megalos fights that made me burn a set of command seals. How did everyone else fare?

I ate it on the last Megalos fight and seal revived, then ate it on the fight with a ? symbol because I assumed it would be a demon pillar and it was instead a series of enemies of many classes, and then ate it on the final pillar fight because I built for power and not survivability. They were all avoidable deaths if I knew what I was getting into going in, but playing blind is more fun, so hey. I think the lesson I should take away is “probably think more about your lineup than just putting two class-advantaged servants and a berserker in and assuming it’ll work out.”

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I wish the game would stop making jokes about Da Vinci.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Gologle posted:

Prisma Ilya has some gross poo poo in it so I guess gross dumb stuff is just par for the course for that guy. Type of person who plays FGO one handed, know what I mean.

Come to think of it, my biggest problem with the Prilya event was also the parts where all of the MC's dialogue options were to act like a creep, so if it really is the same writer they're sure being consistent in that way.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

This is, apparently, the last actual instance of it.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Happy Pride, everyone.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

i thiiink this is the last one? i dont remember anything in any of the lostbelts, anyway

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

RanKizama posted:

Didn't really run a consistent team, though Ilya, Anne & Mary, and Helena were all present more often than not. Wiped once each on Dahut + Hydra, Megalos + Penth, and Scheherazade + bunch of monsters. Technically wiped twice on the last of those but I was about 100K HP from winning and annoyed enough with it that I just command sealed through it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Having looked ahead at some of these nodes there's definitely some fights I ain't looking forward to.

Melt has been doing some really good work up through chapter 8, tho! Especially my friend's Melt who is NP5 :v:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

my highlight so far is going into nightless city with Nito instead of a ST caster, and her just IK'ing the 500k hp dog or w/e it was, on turn 1.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Honestly I dont understand why anyone cares for Deon when the master can also randomly change their sex/gender on a whim.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

Honestly I dont understand why anyone cares for Deon when the master can also randomly change their sex/gender on a whim.

shut up

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

guda isn't a cool spy, as cute in a maid outfit, or able to do shiny sword moves while summoning lilies

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

VgameT posted:

I think the lesson I should take away is “probably think more about your lineup than just putting two class-advantaged servants and a berserker in and assuming it’ll work out.”
Yeah, the final few fights really kicked me in the teeth in that regard. The game seems to be making a very conscious effort of telling people they can't just brute strength their way through stuff anymore. It's taking some getting used to.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Martha had a lot of fun with this singularity as two of the big bosses are divine zerkers.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Thuryl posted:

Come to think of it, my biggest problem with the Prilya event was also the parts where all of the MC's dialogue options were to act like a creep, so if it really is the same writer they're sure being consistent in that way.

Yeah, Minase's not prillya's writer but they've scripted the anime and the fgo event. Prillya collab is closer to Agartha in dealing with gender and sexuality than it is to prillya itself, what with the self-indulgent commentary on old otaku guys being into magical girls for fetish and incel reasons.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Man, lots of pages. I want to clarify some things about the writers of FGO. Some of this is repeat, but I'll add some more information.

First off: We knew before the EoRs started that the four credited scenario writers (not counting Nasu) were Hazuki Minase, Yuuichirou Higashide, Hikaru Sakurai and Hoshizora Meteo. Meteo and Minase were adding in the period previous to EoR1's release. We also knew Nasu would not be participating in the writing in order to prepare for Arc 2. The real question was who would write what.
Some people at this stage had guessed Ban Madoi had written Shinjuku uncredited, but that's false.

FGO Materials V includes all servants in Shinjuku and Agartha, and confirms Higashide wrote, either partially or totally, every servant in Shinjuku. Therefore, he wrote Shinjuku itself, obviously.
It also confirms every Agartha servant was written, partially or totally, by Minase. So obviously Minase wrote Agartha.

That leaves Sakurai and Meteo for Shimousa and Salem. Given Meteo's writing preferences, it's clear he wrote Salem. We should be having confirmation either in one of this year's Comiket, once they release FGO Materials VI. That leaves Sakurai for Shimousa.

About Minase: He's not really "the Prisma guy". That'd be Hiroyama Hiroshi. Hiroyama wrote everything Prisma-related in FGO, because he wrote Prisma.
What Minase do was scriptwriting for the Prisma anime along with Kenji Inoue. Given the anime is an adaptation, he's just working with the material he was given.
Also he created C³, if that's of interest to anyone. I've never watched it so dunno. (I'd appreciate if someone who did commented on it, actually)

Finally, Ban Madoi had not been introduced when EoRs were running, as I said earlier. His introduction as Scenario Writer was announced around mid-May 2018 during Arc 2, between Chapters 1 and 2. His debut event was Murder at the Kogetsukan. He'd never worked in anything Fate previous to this. Bonus fact: He started playing FGO during America.

e: ofc Space Flower beats me to the most important bit 1 minute before I post.

Space Flower posted:

Yeah, Minase's not prillya's writer but they've scripted the anime and the fgo event. Prillya collab is closer to Agartha in dealing with gender and sexuality than it is to prillya itself, what with the self-indulgent commentary on old otaku guys being into magical girls for fetish and incel reasons.
p sure prisma event was hiro, as well as miyu, chloe and p!illya.
isn't the old otaku thing basically poking fun at himself and half the people he works with including nasu and takeuchi?

Kyte fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 24, 2019

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

RanKizama posted:

I had to use a command seal in the first fight against the two chimeras, so I only just got back all three. And then immediately used them against Dahut and the Hydra.

Megalos was actually fairly easy for me, since I could just pull out Jalter and get rid of multiple guts in a single turn.

Edit:

Kyte posted:

About Minase: He's not really "the Prisma guy". That'd be Hiroyama Hiroshi. Hiroyama wrote everything Prisma-related in FGO, because he wrote Prisma.
What Minase do was scriptwriting for the Prisma anime along with Kenji Inoue. Given the anime is an adaptation, he's just working with the material he was given.

So does that mean he is the guy who split the second season of PIllya in two, and then made half of the second part filler, cramming the Gilgamesh fight into the last few episodes?
Because that would explain the poor quality of writing in this chapter.

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 24, 2019

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

BlazeEmblem posted:

So does that mean he is the guy who split the second season of PIllya in two, and then made half of the second part filler, cramming the Gilgamesh fight into the last few episodes?

No that'd be the responsibility of.....
hm.
Either the director or the series composer, I guess.

Actually it's probably the production committee's fault for ordering another season even though they knew they'd have to wait for more material.

(I don't really remember that time, maybe they'd already ordered it when Hiroyama started slowing down and they had to figure something out)

To explain roles:
Series Director: decide the overall direction (heh) of the production, have the final word on things. First season was Mirai Minato & Takashi Sakamoto, afterwards it was Shin Oonuma (chief director) and Masato Jinbo (just director :shrug:).
Series Composition: Effectively the head writer. Decide the pacing, draft out the story beats, that kinda stuff. Kenji Inoue did this for every season.
Scriptwriter: Develop the drafts into complete scripts for individual episodes. Minase and Inoue shared the job in the first two seasons, then Minase did it alone (as far as MAL's credits are concerned) for Hertz and Drei.
(The credits sometimes mention screenplay, I assume it's p much the same)

So bad jokes = Minase, bad pacing = Inoue and/or Oonuma.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 24, 2019

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Kyte posted:

p sure prisma event was hiro, as well as miyu, chloe and p!illya.
isn't the old otaku thing basically poking fun at himself and half the people he works with including nasu and takeuchi?

Hiroyama is credited as a supervisor and Minase for the story and writing, so its probably more like he was available when Minase had questions and he helped smooth it over.
That's highly likely and they are all perverts (same) and that's not really a problem for me in general, I just thought it came up various conversations in tactless ways that undermine the event's ability to connect emotionally rather than just being a series of rapid fire gags and refs. Like, if you compare to Nasu comedic events, they go pretty wild and silly and crack jokes about TM staff and old memes but there's still a core narrative that sells you on the new santa servant or something.

I do say this as the person here who the prisma event was laser targeted toward and I had fun, but I found it underwhelming.

BlazeEmblem posted:

What did happen is that some omake chapters from 3rei's manga are moved into 2wei Herz's anime run. But imo it's not filler or poorly written to show that the characters who are initially antagonistic spend time hanging out and developing connections. And the Gilgamesh fight isn't crammed into anything? There's nothing to draw out and manga content isn't being chopped up—it's not meant to be an exercise in long action scenes, it's meant to be a hurdle to test Illya and show how much she's grown as a protagonist.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
The main problem with saying Higashide did Shinjuku (and Sakurai Shimosa) is that they sound absolutely nothing at all like their other chapters. Like, compare Lostbelt 4's first cycle to Shinjuku and it's nothing alike. Then compare to Shimosa and it's deadass the same thing. Likewise, compare the second cycle to Shimosa and it doesn't match, compare it to Arthur's intro quest and you get the same very unique Guda narration that pops up exactly nowhere else. It just makes more sense for the chapters to be Ban/Minase/Higashide/Meteor than Higashide/Minase/Sakurai/Meteor, really.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Space Flower posted:

Hiroyama is credited as a supervisor and Minase for the story and writing, so its probably more like he was available when Minase had questions and he helped smooth it over.
That's highly likely and they are all perverts (same) and that's not really a problem for me in general, I just thought it came up various conversations in tactless ways that undermine the event's ability to connect emotionally rather than just being a series of rapid fire gags and refs. Like, if you compare to Nasu comedic events, they go pretty wild and silly and crack jokes about TM staff and old memes but there's still a core narrative that sells you on the new santa servant or something.

I'd totally forgotten, thanks for the clarification.

Transient People posted:

The main problem with saying Higashide did Shinjuku (and Sakurai Shimosa) is that they sound absolutely nothing at all like their other chapters. Like, compare Lostbelt 4's first cycle to Shinjuku and it's nothing alike. Then compare to Shimosa and it's deadass the same thing. Likewise, compare the second cycle to Shimosa and it doesn't match, compare it to Arthur's intro quest and you get the same very unique Guda narration that pops up exactly nowhere else. It just makes more sense for the chapters to be Ban/Minase/Higashide/Meteor than Higashide/Minase/Sakurai/Meteor, really.
The world often doesn't make sense.
You just have to accept it.

This is not a matter of opinion, nor it is open to discussion.

And comparing to the 2nd arc is pointless because, aside from the third chapter (because they advertised it as written by Urobuchi), we don't know who wrote what. We can make some educated guesses, and people who can actually read the original's nuances and writing tics have done so, but I've forgotten what they've said.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 24, 2019

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Transient People posted:

The style of prose in Shimosa is pretty distinctly Sakurai imo, I don't think there's much room for ambiguity. Content-wise yea, Shinjuku is more up Sakurai's sleeve and likewise Shimosa/Higashide which is the main reason I think there was some collaboration between them on their parts, but just going by writing style I don't have much doubt as to who wrote what. Also iirc Nasu said Madoi did do some writing for the game before Kogetsukan but it was just interludes.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Kyte posted:

Also he created C³, if that's of interest to anyone. I've never watched it so dunno. (I'd appreciate if someone who did commented on it, actually)

Ahhhh, that would explain a lot in my opinion. C³ was a bit of a mess, it had some interesting ideas but failed to do anything with them, overall it felt quite aimless. If anything Argatha is a much better piece of writing so at least he's improved since then.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Just curious, I haven't played Septem for quite some time, but I'm wondering, why does everyone hate it? At least it dosen't have the Gender Politics crap that Argatha has!

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
I honestly couldn't tell you 100% because I ended up skipping everything about halfway through. From what I did experience, it was just boring. Fights were repetitive and incidental and the characters were dull.

I actually found Argatha a bit dull not because of any story or character reason, but because the fights were just not that challenging. We're just out from having Camelot, Babylon, Solomon and Shinjuku kick our asses all over the shop, and this was a cakewalk in comparison. Even with my self-imposed Waver ban (bond bonus not counting for him), all it took was Mash, Tamamo and whatever unit or friend unit countered the boss laughs in Hungarian.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

The man called M posted:

Just curious, I haven't played Septem for quite some time, but I'm wondering, why does everyone hate it? At least it dosen't have the Gender Politics crap that Argatha has!

A sizable part of it is weak characters.

For example, flat out everyone on Nero's team should be trying to gut her from the word go. Lu Bu's entire shtick is constant betrayals, and Extella shows that not even Mad Enhancement can curb that instinct. Spartacus will tear your head off if you so much as imply oppression, meanwhile he works for a literal tyrant here. Jing Ke got famous for trying to assassinate an emperor. And Boudica dedicated her life to fighting against Nero's empire, only to go 'lol what can u do' and start helping Nero.

Every single one of them should want Nero dead, yet that all gets conveniently ignored and they fight for her without a word of complaint.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Fun fact: Tamamo Cat shows up in story scenes in Septem!

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Kyte posted:

ecchi LN series with a flat heroine, kind of up the alley of shana and znt and such. its similar to agartha in that a main character is a cute fanged girl whose charm points are her bow-tied underwear and extensive set of torture implements.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Terper posted:

Fun fact: Tamamo Cat shows up in story scenes in Septem!

that part is so non-sequitur that I had it in my memory as Orleans up til now.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

Kyte posted:

I'd totally forgotten, thanks for the clarification.

The world often doesn't make sense.
You just have to accept it.

This is not a matter of opinion, nor it is open to discussion.

You can say that, but writers have styles. It takes a writer with much, much more quality (and versatility) than any of the ones on staff for FGO to completely shed tics. Like, to pick a dumb but clear example, lots of writers use —— line starters, but out of the FGO writers, only Nasu makes a habit of spamming them out to the point you can tell it's him. Writers can have ups and downs and write good stories and bad stories, but can you name one who can consistently hide who they are?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Transient People posted:

You can say that, but writers have styles. It takes a writer with much, much more quality (and versatility) than any of the ones on staff for FGO to completely shed tics. Like, to pick a dumb but clear example, lots of writers use —— line starters, but out of the FGO writers, only Nasu makes a habit of spamming them out to the point you can tell it's him. Writers can have ups and downs and write good stories and bad stories, but can you name one who can consistently hide who they are?

I am not going to argue with you about a fact, dude. Unless you want to tell me the FGO mats are actively lying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Kyte posted:

I am not going to argue with you about a fact, dude. Unless you want to tell me the FGO mats are actively lying?

No, I'm saying it's been the case before that one writer took care of writing a character's interludes and another used them in singularities, so it's not as definitive as you think and it doesn't line up with other facts. What you said is true but it doesn't tell the whole truth, basically.