Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I have no faith in statistics because the government has been caught lying to us about foreign ownership etc. And things like shell corps distort the facts even if we were told the "truth." I just know what I've experienced through my employment and my wife's employment at a notary, and that was enough to leave everyone and everything I knew in Vancouver forever. I don't need someone else to tell me poo poo's hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, that's the awful thing that so many of us have to trust anecdotes and personal experience over the official stats. Like friends who work in home insurance telling me that over half of houses they were insuring over a certain value all had "asian names" associated with the title. Does that prove anything? Does that show residency status, or prove money laundering, or not sound kinda racist to be worried about? Not really. But for a decade anyone working related to the industry was seeing that while the RE industry and government were saying "Nah, it's a tiny unnoticeable percentage of ownership, this is just the best place on earth of course it's going to be expensive"

When you have such a drastic mismatch between the official stats and party lines and everyone's real life experiences it makes people lose faith and trust in the institutions and the very idea of "evidence based policy" and it reinforces an idea that you should just trust your gut because those fancy statistics are all lies.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sorry Oakland Martini, we're in the "lol u r an ivory tower academic with no business experience" phase. Please report back what you find though, because I still have faith that people who have spent any amount of time learning stuff might actually know something unless you're like a Nathanial Lauster troll account or something.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

incontinence 100 posted:

Sorry Oakland Martini, we're in the "lol u r an ivory tower academic with no business experience" phase. Please report back what you find though, because I still have faith that people who have spent any amount of time learning stuff might actually know something unless you're like a Nathanial Lauster troll account or something.

I have a grant, too.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

I have a grant, too.

Sorry but your "facts" are now worthless compared to my street knowledge.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

man gently caress these ahv bootlickers. cant stand em
https://twitter.com/thomas_falcone/status/1142245546821705728?s=20

More hits from this guys deeply cursed timeline
https://twitter.com/thomas_falcone/status/1142260736950824960?s=20

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 22, 2019

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

THC posted:

man gently caress these ahv bootlickers. cant stand em
https://twitter.com/thomas_falcone/status/1142245546821705728?s=20

More hits from this guys deeply cursed timeline
https://twitter.com/thomas_falcone/status/1142260736950824960?s=20

Can't stand that guy. LLM student, eh...so not a lawyer, but wants to pretend to be one...

This is a terrifically effective tear-down of Uber and Lyft...these services, and AirBnB, are cancers in our communities.

https://americanaffairsjournal.org/2019/05/ubers-path-of-destruction/

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Uber is well on its way to being approved only with the awful, impossible requirement that drivers must have the bare minimum commercial license just like taxi drivers.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.
Companies like Uber will always be necessary as long as the taxi industry willfully fails to clamp down on the scummy taxi-driver behaviors that have plagued the industry for decades: refusing to go to certain locations, refusing to carry certain people as fares, refusing short rides, taking a longer route to run up the meter, "card machine's broken," etc.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Its not necessary at all. Take the loving bus.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

tagesschau posted:

Companies like Uber will always be necessary as long as the taxi industry willfully fails to clamp down on the scummy taxi-driver behaviors that have plagued the industry for decades: refusing to go to certain locations, refusing to carry certain people as fares, refusing short rides, taking a longer route to run up the meter, "card machine's broken," etc.

I have never had any of these happen to me in a Vancouver taxi, nor met anyone who has had them happen.

THC posted:

It’s not necessary at all. Take the loving bus.

To be fair, this can be tricky to impossible between around 1am and 4am.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I have never had any of these happen to me in a Vancouver taxi, nor met anyone who has had them happen.
Spoken like a true white male.

On multiple occasions I've had to tell taxi drivers that if the machine is truly broken then they're not getting a fare, only for it to miraculously work again. And they pull the "oh this route is faster" on me all the time as well, because my ovaries obviously mean I won't realize that going from Gastown to Stanley Park via Highway 1 then the Lion's Gate isn't the fastest way.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THC posted:

Its not necessary at all. Take the loving bus.

And when public transit takes five times as long or just (functionally or actually) doesn't exist? I don't use Uber/Lyft to replace public transit, but when I do, it's because public transit won't get me where and/or when I need.

You didn't think this one through at all before posting, did you?

Taxi drivers do not refuse to pick me up based on my appearance, but it's not a secret that this does happen.

I have not been refused because drivers thought the ride was too short or they wouldn't be able to pick up a fare on the way back, but I've seen the former happen in Toronto.

I have personally experienced the "machine is broken" scam and drivers taking longer routes because they didn't think I knew where I was both in New York and Toronto. Paying an agreed-upon fare in advance with an app kills both of those scams dead.

A long time ago, my job in a suburban area in the U.S. moved to a very inconvenient location, much farther from the train, and I started taking a taxi during my weekend shifts. This consisted of getting into a cab, having them drive me less than three miles, and then demand cash (usually $20, occasionally morethere was no taxi meter). Uber currently shows this fare as $8. It wasn't too long before I said "gently caress it, and gently caress them," bought a bike, and only took cabs if it was raining like hell.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

qhat posted:

I think you misunderstood that post. That study directly attributes non resident ownership as the single cause of that decoupling using nothing more than a univariate analysis on very flimsy data point. He then concludes that because he can't see an alternative cause, that this means you can ignore the age old rule that correlation does not equal causation, which is such a crock of horse poo poo that it's amazing this came out of someone who apparently has a PhD.

The post you quoted simply pointed out the possibility that the correlation may not be the causation at all.

I'm not an academic so I don't know how angry academic rivalries usually go, but I assumed that this paper was by intention, mostly a sort of 'shot across the bow' of YIMBYs. It stopped short mostly because the author was essentially saying, "this is obvious and I don't actually need to get deeper into this, so the onus is on you if you disagree with me."

It's peculiar in light of how much the real estate issue in Vancouver has dominated public conversation that there has so few (if any?) real peer reviewed studies into what is going on. I've assumed we haven't seen a lot of 'real' research because the available data has been so poor until extremely recently and a credible and thorough analysis that would stand up to peer review has not been really possible. This is why in the Andy Yan previously had to come up with all sorts of novel ways to estimate at trends, and then he was attacked for his data being bad, not doing peer reviews and 'being racist'.

The other explanation is that this debate is to housing economists not an actual interesting debate at all, and that they don't find it worthy of study. I've noticed that Davidoff, the UBC economist that is probably most qualified out of the various experts that comment in the media about Vancouver real estate will often mention the impact of foreign wealth in passing as if its impacts are a known and uncontroversial fact.

I find it funny that the yimby crowd on twitter chips away at Yan and Gordon by nit picking their not-peer-reviewed work, but who is the academic on the yimby side that is doing peer reviewed work? There isn't anyone.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Taxis suck and uber has introduced some innovations that should become industry wide standards but there's still no excuse for a company's entire business model revolving around flagrantly violating labour laws.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Ive heard all the excuses from Uber stans before. Its not that hard to plan ahead

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

THC posted:

Ive heard all the excuses from Uber stans before. Its not that hard to plan ahead

Yes, being told you're wrong because you have not personally experienced the bad things taxi drivers do automatically makes us "Uber stans"

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.

Femtosecond posted:

I'm not an academic so I don't know how angry academic rivalries usually go, but I assumed that this paper was by intention, mostly a sort of 'shot across the bow' of YIMBYs. It stopped short mostly because the author was essentially saying, "this is obvious and I don't actually need to get deeper into this, so the onus is on you if you disagree with me."

It's peculiar in light of how much the real estate issue in Vancouver has dominated public conversation that there has so few (if any?) real peer reviewed studies into what is going on. I've assumed we haven't seen a lot of 'real' research because the available data has been so poor until extremely recently and a credible and thorough analysis that would stand up to peer review has not been really possible. This is why in the Andy Yan previously had to come up with all sorts of novel ways to estimate at trends, and then he was attacked for his data being bad, not doing peer reviews and 'being racist'.

The other explanation is that this debate is to housing economists not an actual interesting debate at all, and that they don't find it worthy of study. I've noticed that Davidoff, the UBC economist that is probably most qualified out of the various experts that comment in the media about Vancouver real estate will often mention the impact of foreign wealth in passing as if its impacts are a known and uncontroversial fact.

I find it funny that the yimby crowd on twitter chips away at Yan and Gordon by nit picking their not-peer-reviewed work, but who is the academic on the yimby side that is doing peer reviewed work? There isn't anyone.

This is all about right in my eyes.

Quite honestly, the whole "correlation is not causation" thing is more often than not deployed under false pretenses as a way to get around Occam's Razor.

Gordon has put together some data that are strongly indicative of foreign buyers' influence. There are lots of other data points that corroborate this idea, and pretty much nothing out there that rebuts it. Sure, it's not definitive proof. But there are no other plausible causes for these data.

And by the way, the other guy somehow thought that an Assistant Professor is a research assistant or something, not a tenure-track (but not yet tenured) faculty member (going by the "assistant to the professor" snark, anyway).

Oakland Martini fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 23, 2019

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THC posted:

My buying a car isn't really workable, and is definitely environmentally unfriendly, but is apparently your solution.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Uber results in more cars on the road, it leads to more congestion, more car trips, and they've finally admitted they're competing with transit rather than personal vehicles. It's bad. Fix our cities and transit system so they don't "need" uber.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Uber results in more cars on the road, it leads to more congestion, more car trips, and they've finally admitted they're competing with transit rather than personal vehicles.

...this is equally applicable to taxis. Nobody who isn't innumerate is using either service to replace public transit. I'm not aware of anyone who takes a cab or an Uber unless they either have too much stuff or not enough time for public transit at that particular moment.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Uber is not good for the environment.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THC posted:

Uber is not good for the environment.

Compared to me and a bunch of other people buying cars because you want us to "plan ahead," it's absolutely less harmful.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Thats not what I meant by planning ahead. I dont own a car

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Increase the number of taxi licenses and we wouldn't be having any of these conversations about supporting a dumb tech business that will never make money.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THC posted:

Thats not what I meant by planning ahead. I dont own a car

What did you mean, then? Am I supposed to bail on events if I can't get there in time on the TTC?

edit:

incontinence 100 posted:

Increase the number of taxi licenses and we wouldn't be having any of these conversations about supporting a dumb tech business that will never make money.

This, probably, but unlikely to happen unless local governments have a massive change of heart.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Oh you dont even live in BC lol

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 23, 2019

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

THC posted:

Oh you dont even live in BC lol

How is the Uber dynamic materially different in BC? Are taxi drivers generally employees there?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

How is the Uber dynamic materially different in BC? Are taxi drivers generally employees there?

Uber is not yet allowed in BC and I would like it to stay that way for reasons Im sure youre familiar with. The TTC runs even later, more frequently and covers more area than vancouvers transit system yet people in Vancouver somehow survive without Uber. When I say plan ahead I just mean figure out how youll get back home beforehand. Reminder that we are talking about Uber because of people who had to go from YVR to Rogers arena - a 30 minute transit trip with one transfer

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

HookShot posted:

Spoken like a true white male.

On multiple occasions I've had to tell taxi drivers that if the machine is truly broken then they're not getting a fare, only for it to miraculously work again. And they pull the "oh this route is faster" on me all the time as well, because my ovaries obviously mean I won't realize that going from Gastown to Stanley Park via Highway 1 then the Lion's Gate isn't the fastest way.

I mean, that's not just based on my experiences, but I'm sorry -- it sucks that that happened to you.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

I mean, that's not just based on my experiences, but I'm sorry -- it sucks that that happened to you.

Thanks. Yeah, it sucks, but being a woman who has to take taxis often does. And I only ever need to take them a couple times a year, tops, generally.

I mean, Uber sucks on a whole bunch of levels and for a whole bunch of reasons but drat if it doesn't do right a whooooooole bunch of the things taxi companies do wrong.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Femtosecond posted:

I've assumed we haven't seen a lot of 'real' research because the available data has been so poor until extremely recently and a credible and thorough analysis that would stand up to peer review has not been really possible. This is why in the Andy Yan previously had to come up with all sorts of novel ways to estimate at trends, and then he was attacked for his data being bad, not doing peer reviews and 'being racist'.

The data has been bad, but it's been deliberately made so to obfuscate things. This is the main reason, but the other is that the so-called academics (Tsur Sommerville) have been systematically bought off by the development industry.

Oh, and the objection that this is basic correlation and therefore can't be taken seriously is nonsense. When one has a causal model that underpins the relationship, one can successfully argue for causal effect at a population level without adjusting for eleventy-billion variables, which is terrible science in and of itself. See Pearl, J, and the Book of Why for a layman's introduction to causal inference science.

Mandibular Fiasco fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 23, 2019

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

HookShot posted:

Thanks. Yeah, it sucks, but being a woman who has to take taxis often does. And I only ever need to take them a couple times a year, tops, generally.

I mean, Uber sucks on a whole bunch of levels and for a whole bunch of reasons but drat if it doesn't do right a whooooooole bunch of the things taxi companies do wrong.

I largely agree with you - Uber and the like being horrible is no reason not to improve regulation of the taxi business. However, too many people use Uber as the solution to a problem, when all it has succeeded in doing is creating different problems cloaked in the guise of a solution.

I hate Uber because it's exploitative, and emblematic of late stage capitalism. Business ethics my rear end.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

THC posted:

yet people in Vancouver somehow survive without Uber

Whether we physically survive without something is not the bar to determine whether something should be introduced

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Helsing posted:

Taxis suck and uber has introduced some innovations that should become industry wide standards but there's still no excuse for a company's entire business model revolving around flagrantly violating labour laws.

The only people making money with Uber are the initial venture capitalists who have been spending a billion USD a quarter to project an image of a successful business and then hand it off to hoodwinked public investors, of which the final stage is now underway. That loss is on top of offloading maintenance and insurance costs on to clueless drivers. They hopefully wont be around for too much longer.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Vehementi posted:

Whether we physically survive without something is not the bar to determine whether something should be introduced

Indeed, there are a whole host of great reasons why Uber should be banned

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Vehementi posted:

"I don't care if a massive company exploits people if it makes my life more convenient"

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

JawKnee posted:

"I don't care if a massive company exploits people if it makes my life more convenient"

latecapitalism.txt

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

I largely agree with you - Uber and the like being horrible is no reason not to improve regulation of the taxi business. However, too many people use Uber as the solution to a problem, when all it has succeeded in doing is creating different problems cloaked in the guise of a solution.

I hate Uber because it's exploitative, and emblematic of late stage capitalism. Business ethics my rear end.

Are you living in an alternate Canada where taxi drivers aren't being exploited by taxi companies? What actual criticism do you have that applies to Uber and not to the largest taxi company in your city?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Lol shut up tagesshau