Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Reztes posted:

Alright so this game is incredible.

I've got one log entry on the Ember Twin that's driving me nuts at the moment because it's telling me there's more to explore: Quantum Cave - I've found the cave with the light switch and ridden the fragment around and I'm pretty sure I've ridden it to all the cave locations and read all the notes. What else am I missing?
I have the same problem if you're referring to the Lakebed! To answer Hwrump and Aphex, I've scanned the Lakebed Cave message about the Nomai finding their lost buddy and have also scanned the shard itself with the sound thingy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Has anyone else had their button prompts change since the last patch? I'm now stuck with Xbox prompts, even though the game has only used Dualshock ones up until now.

KoB
May 1, 2009

snoremac posted:

I have the same problem if you're referring to the Lakebed! To answer Hwrump and Aphex, I've scanned the Lakebed Cave message about the Nomai finding their lost buddy and have also scanned the shard itself with the sound thingy.

Did you scan the writing from the guy trapped in the cave?

Krazyface posted:

Has anyone else had their button prompts change since the last patch? I'm now stuck with Xbox prompts, even though the game has only used Dualshock ones up until now.

I think theres a setting in the options to change this manually.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Aphex- posted:

I know this may seem obvious but I fell for it - have you scanned the quantum fragment up close?

It even kept popping up "unknown signal detected" every time I'm next to it, and then later I'm wandering around space with the signalscope thing going "wow this tool never gets used" :haw:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

KoB posted:

Did you scan the writing from the guy trapped in the cave?
Yep.

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010

snoremac posted:

I think I had the same issue. Sounds like you haven't been to where the kid actually went missing, the Lakebed Cave itself. Mark the Lakebed rumor entry on your map and see where the waypoint takes you.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Nevermind, I failed to do the ending with Ash Core and the Vessel correctly and deleted the game because I couldn't be stuffed waiting for the sand to lower again. I thought I inputted the coordinates correctly but nothing seemed to happen. I'll just Youtube the ending.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i used cheat engine for this game for speedhack and it made it way, way better

worked flawlessly too

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

snoremac posted:

Nevermind, I failed to do the ending with Ash Core and the Vessel correctly and deleted the game because I couldn't be stuffed waiting for the sand to lower again. I thought I inputted the coordinates correctly but nothing seemed to happen. I'll just Youtube the ending.

I did finish it, but I definitely thought cleaning up the whole like last third of the game was a huge waste of time. Game could have used an editor, hard.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I cannot read through this thread because of spoilers I just need a hint though I’m close to the end. I’ve been almost everywhere and completed most of the mission plot map.

Two places left The Vessel and ash twin project. Can I get some vague hints how to get to each of them?

The black bramble is supposed contain the vessel but the bramble is a hellish maze and I’ve tried searching found nothing. I want to figure this one out but I hate the area and I feel like I’d be wasting more hours searching inside without a hint.

I’m assuming information from the vessel is how I get to the core of the ash twin? The Vessel and Ash Twin Project are the last two areas but I’m running out of ideas.

My guess is information from these final locations will lead to the eye of the universe .

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

DropsySufferer posted:

I cannot read through this thread because of spoilers I just need a hint though I’m close to the end. I’ve been almost everywhere and completed most of the mission plot map.

Two places left The Vessel and ash twin project. Can I get some vague hints how to get to each of them?

The black bramble is supposed contain the vessel but the bramble is a hellish maze and I’ve tried searching found nothing. I want to figure this one out but I hate the area and I feel like I’d be wasting more hours searching inside without a hint.

I’m assuming information from the vessel is how I get to the core of the ash twin? The Vessel and Ash Twin Project are the last two areas but I’m running out of ideas.

My guess is information from these final locations will lead to the eye of the universe .

There are two signals you can track in Dark Bramble. They'll lead you to the Vessel.

If you've been everywhere else, then you know that the Nomai sealed off the Ash Twin Project and left a warp network on Ember Twin.

To reach the Eye, you'll also need some data from the Probe Cannon.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I was lost in this part as well because there was a game mechanic I wasn't aware of.

On Ember twin your signalscope will tell you about a mysterious signal, find it and point the signalscope at it. You will now have another thing to search for besides music and quantum signatures.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Just completed the game. I will echo the people who said that it was quite good and a lot of fun to explore that world, but kinda tedious at times. I don't mind retracing steps when I die, but getting back there and having to stand around for 10 minutes is just dull.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Really getting annoyed with the Dark Bramble.

I know where the vessel is. But I get annoyed that as soon as I head through one of the portions, it just dumps be in front of 3 angler fish. And oops I entered at a wrong angle and now I'm bumping into one and now I'm dead again.

I don't mind having to wait around for poo poo, but if I could cheat engine the anglerfish out of the game, I would.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Mordiceius posted:

Really getting annoyed with the Dark Bramble.

I know where the vessel is. But I get annoyed that as soon as I head through one of the portions, it just dumps be in front of 3 angler fish. And oops I entered at a wrong angle and now I'm bumping into one and now I'm dead again.

I don't mind having to wait around for poo poo, but if I could cheat engine the anglerfish out of the game, I would.

Are you SURE you entered at the wrong angle? Every time I entered I was put on a path that seemed like it would collide with one of them, but if you keep your cool and DON'T touch the controls at all, you should glide past easily.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I could see myself playing this again in future but I’d go in with a quicksave mod so it didn’t test my patience.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Yah, this game does, in fact, own. I can't read this thread or post on it till I finish, though, which seems like an unfortunate anti-marketing side effect of a game that has compelling content.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Seems like a quicksave would ruin the limited timeline and auto erasure. Especially after you can reset on your own. I guess traveling to a place you just tried to do something is tedious but if it's too bothersome I just go somewhere else that feels more rewarding.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

You're probably right. It really only bothered me near the end when I didn't have other places to go anymore. It's a small quibble overall. I really enjoyed the game.

dreamless
Dec 18, 2013

ILL Machina posted:

Seems like a quicksave would ruin the limited timeline and auto erasure. Especially after you can reset on your own. I guess traveling to a place you just tried to do something is tedious but if it's too bothersome I just go somewhere else that feels more rewarding.

On the other end a snooze alarm would make a few things particularly the last mission a lot more convenient/less painful on failure.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
This game has been an absolute joy to play so far, and much longer than I was anticipating. I love how each planet is such a unique experience to explore. My first time flying directly to Ash Twin and thinking there was nothing there, but then realizing what was happening a few seconds later was super neat. I'm bummed I haven't had a lot of time to dedicate, hopefully I can work through everything before I leave for a week vacation next week.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Slightly-annoying endgame wrapping things up questions:

Do I really have to bobsled around inside the Interceptor to avoid being ghost-mattered, or have I missed a safe route?
Do I really have to land on the Sunstation, or is it reachable by the cactus-covered Ash-twin tower that I haven't figured out how to get into?
I appear to have to cover myself in Jellyfish to, I assume, reach the probe tracker. What the? How the?
Is the Vessel necessary? Even dainty course-corrections have got me eaten inside one part of Dark Bramble. Do I need to bail out and travel that way?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Two Owls posted:

Do I really have to bobsled around inside the Interceptor to avoid being ghost-mattered, or have I missed a safe route?

Bobsledding is the safe route. Send your scout on ahead and take lots of pictures to make sure it's clear.

quote:

Do I really have to land on the Sunstation, or is it reachable by the cactus-covered Ash-twin tower that I haven't figured out how to get into?

The tower works. You have to get there quick while the cacti are still covered in sand.

quote:

I appear to have to cover myself in Jellyfish to, I assume, reach the probe tracker. What the? How the?

Hide in their tentacles when they're dropping through the electric field.

quote:

Is the Vessel necessary? Even dainty course-corrections have got me eaten inside one part of Dark Bramble. Do I need to bail out and travel that way?

It is. You can sloooowly float past the three anglerfish right through that one portal, without using any thrust.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Two Owls posted:

1. dunno what you mean exactly. There is a route through to find the 'core'.
2. the cactus-covered tower is what you need. small hint: you can't go in when it's covered with sand, and when the sand is totally gone you can't get through the cacti. maybe there's a third way??
3. Correct. Hint: use the ship Full solution: Fly the ship in between the tentacles, below the 'bulge', and slowly go down along with the jellyfish until you're in the center
4. Yes, the vessel is basically the place you need to go to finish the game. You don't need to bail out.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Thanks all.

Hwurmp posted:

The tower works. You have to get there quick while the cacti are still covered in sand.
Oh. The fact it shows the "launch scout" prompt next to the latticework in the tower made me think I had to look for a hidden entrance.

Hwurmp posted:

Hide in their tentacles when they're dropping through the electric field.

What, the part of them with an obvious blue-lightning visual effect? Leave off, game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I think the Launch Scout prompt will just pop up whenever you're looking through a window or small hole you can't fit through.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Gnh. Apparently the last patch changed it so you have to bail out to use the jellyfish

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Two Owls posted:

Gnh. Apparently the last patch changed it so you have to bail out to use the jellyfish

I think that’s the intended solution anyway. If you’re looking to do it the ‘right’ way, you can find a stranded friend in the Dark Bramble who will point you towards the solution he used.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Two Owls posted:

No loving wonder. I spent like 45 minutes trying to do this the other day, and then watching YouTube videos and trying to understand what I was doing differently than they were.

I like this game, but there seems to be a lot of “make one mistake start over” situations that are really frustrating.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Regarding the Sun Station, you absolutely can land on it just by flying your ship close enough and bailing at the right time. Your ship will almost certainly fall into the sun, though. Also, you don't have to get to the Sun Station warp before the cacti are uncovered. With a bit of finesse you can maneuver through them with your jet pack.

Two Owls posted:

What, the part of them with an obvious blue-lightning visual effect? Leave off, game.

Yeah, this messed me up too. Not only do they have a lightning effect, which in just about every game ever made translates to "this deals damage if you touch it!!", but the drat things are situated right next to a giant ball, covered in a very similar lightning effect, that actually DOES deal damage to you.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
^I probably wouldn't have figured out how to get down to the bottom of giant's deep without a guide with that new change.

Finished it finally definitely my favorite game this year. It's a real shame more people aren't playing this one. Really amazing game, hope more people try it when it gets to steam.

What I didn't understand is why the perfectly normal sun like star exploded in the first place? What caused the sun in the game to suddenly become a red giant then and blow up in the span of 22 minutes versus billions of years? The sun station is reported to have failed in the messages there or maybe is it was a delayed 200,000 year reaction?

The supernova powers the ash twin project but what caused the supernova is not answered or I missed that one.

I was hoping the game was going to cover that and the sun station falling to work really confused me on the cause of the sun exploding.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

DropsySufferer posted:

^I probably wouldn't have figured out how to get down to the bottom of giant's deep without a guide with that new change.

Finished it finally definitely my favorite game this year. It's a real shame more people aren't playing this one. Really amazing game, hope more people try it when it gets to steam.

What I didn't understand is why the perfectly normal sun like star exploded in the first place? What caused the sun in the game to suddenly become a red giant then and blow up in the span of 22 minutes versus billions of years? The sun station is reported to have failed in the messages there or maybe is it was a delayed 200,000 year reaction?

The supernova powers the ash twin project but what caused the supernova is not answered or I missed that one.

I was hoping the game was going to cover that and the sun station falling to work really confused me on the cause of the sun exploding.

it's the heat death of the universe - that's why all the other stars in the sky are dying, too.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

DropsySufferer posted:

Nothing caused it too explode, it just naturally died, same with all the other stars, the universe was simply dying.

As to why it changed so fast, I'm guessing it's just a visual aid too let you know how much time you have left. The whole solar system runs on goofy game physics.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Heat death is a pretty slow process. Like really slow.

The physics of game don't make sense really, and basically it feels like someone read about heat death and wrote a story based on it without actually researching it. Not even taking the whole tiny planets thing into account.

Like seriously, in the event that a civilization is able to evolve to the technological point that they can possibly detect galaxies in a much more latter stage of the universe's timeline that heat death is an issue-- the galaxies will be so far apart that light can't reach each other. Their single galaxy will feel like the only galaxy ever, and they will have no other proof of any other galaxy.

The Last Star in the Universe – Red Dwarfs Explained.

Still a great game. Just don't try to think about the physics too much.

edit - This is a game with teleporting rocks and poo poo so I dunno what I am saying nevermindddddddd.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 24, 2019

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

jeeves posted:

The physics of game don't make sense really, and basically it feels like someone read about heat death and wrote a story based on it without actually researching it. Not even taking the whole tiny planets thing into account.

You must be real fun at parties.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Gravity must be billions of times stronger in the Outer Wilds universe for the tiny stars to work and tiny planets to have appreciable pull. I think the moving balls exhibit in the observatory at the start is meant to clue you in to the fact that physics here doesn't work the same way as you might expect.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
something something dark energy

Really the weird thing is that the hearthians managed to evolve a complex civilisation with a total population of about twenty

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Fangz posted:

something something dark energy

Really the weird thing is that the hearthians managed to evolve a complex civilisation with a total population of about twenty

There are actually millions of them, it's just the game takes place over their lunch break.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I could be totally off on this, but from what I remember, heat death of the universe was only mentioned in passing in one of the Nomai writings. I don't think it was directly implicated as the cause of the Hearthian star, or any of the other stars, going supernova. The cause for that was basically just that the universe is in a very old/advanced stage at this point, and a bunch of the older stars are now reaching the ends of their lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

It's pretty easy to hand wave all this with something approaching scientific consistency. Clearly, this is a universe where the the physical constants are set such that allow for increased gravity, miniature solar systems, and a rapid end-of-lifespan supernova phenomenon. The new universe you take a hand in creating at the end might end up a little different though.... .

I really hope this thing takes off by word of mouth. I know I'm spreading it to everyone I possibly can who might be remotely interested. It's a hard sell though. "Play this game I can't tell you about." You know, they might have had the right idea launching during E3 and off-steam after all - it's helped keep the spoiler walls up. On the other hand, no guarantee it will end up taking off. Should make plenty of game-of-the-year candidate lists though, which might help.