Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Massacre=Minagoroshi=Chapter 7, in other words the chapter coming out next month.

I largely don't care for the manga adaptions of When They Cry stories so I don't really know about Minagoroshi's specifically, but there are some additions in the Chapter 8 manga adaption (for both Umineko and Higurashi, actually) that are actually kind of neat.

Either way I feel with Ch. 7 finally coming out soon you might as well just wait for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Ahahaha awesome, it being 7 is basically best case scenario as far as I’m concerned. Dug in and read a chapter already and it introduced Berkastel and the Three Rules of the Hinamizawa Fragments which should have been terribly obvious by now but has been giving me plenty to think about. I’m probably going to squeak through it a few pages at a time until I’m done, screw it - I’ve been waiting for 7 for so so long and it’s literally in my hands, my self control is nil.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm like fifteen years late to the party on this but I've spent the last few weeks playing through Fate/stay night: Realta Nua: Unlimited Subtitles Works, not really knowing anything about it going in, not having seen any of the anime adaptations etc., and having finally finished it tonight.

It was good IMO, but man that was long.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Raxivace posted:

I'm like fifteen years late to the party on this but I've spent the last few weeks playing through Fate/stay night: Realta Nua: Unlimited Subtitles Works, not really knowing anything about it going in, not having seen any of the anime adaptations etc., and having finally finished it tonight.

God, has it really only been 15 years? It feels like Fate's been around for millenia. Like if you turned over the right stone at a dig site you'd find a perfectly preserved circle of cave-otaku jerking it to a Rin doujin on a stone tablet.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Playing through requiem for innocence it really strikes me that Jacobo is Anakin Skywalker done right. They even have the same motivation. Need of power to protect those they love

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Raxivace posted:

Now, go through Fate/hollow ataraxia :unsmigghh:

For real though, I like it more than the main game.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Nate RFB posted:

Now, go through Fate/hollow ataraxia :unsmigghh:

For real though, I like it more than the main game.
Yeah I do plan on playing hollow ataraxia, but from the minimal research I did while also trying to remain as spoiler free as possible, it appears that that game emphasizes the slice of life stuff a lot more.

I don't mind slice of life stuff or anything but partway through Heaven's Feel I got pretty fatigued on them, especially all of the "Shirou you look hurt, you should go to bed while I cook dinner!" "No Sakura, you have a fever! I'll cook dinner while you go to bed!!!" scenes in that particular route.

It's not done purposelessly, especially in Heaven's Feel, but I think between this and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night I think I just need a break from these extreme cooking games for a bit.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Heaven's Feel's mid-section is infamously slow, dry, and not really fun, I wouldn't really compare it to the SoL parts of FHA. There's hardly any comedy to lighten the mood and it feels like it's really just trying to stretch the time so that the HGW in that chapter lasts about as long as it did in the other routes. FHA by comparison is a real side splitter and they do a much better job of establishing the characters since for the most part they are free of any serious conflict and so they have a lot of room to breathe and just kind of chill. It's obvious in hindsight that FHA in particular is what set the real tone and quirks of most of the cast (how, for example, Saber went from someone who was pretty dull IMO in the original to full-on comic relief).

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Serie De Fragmento from Requiem For Innocence is so loving good. It might be my favorite track of the entire Morgana franchise. Or maybe just because of the scene it’s connected to (which is easily one of my favorite scenes in the series)

https://youtu.be/De1HHsKs8gk

Also if you've completed all of Requiem for Innocence including the extra scene I reference above (which doesn't become available until you do everything else) make sure to read this short story that was written by the creators to expand on that final scene. Seriously don't read this until you finish all of Requiem.

https://oujidere.wordpress.com/2018/06/10/fatamoru-a-requiem-for-innocence-short-story-our-home/

Anyway now on Reincarnation.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 24, 2019

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm surprised there's finally a song sung in English in that game

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

theblackw0lf posted:

Serie De Fragmento from Requiem For Innocence is so loving good. It might be my favorite track of the entire Morgana franchise. Or maybe just because of the scene it’s connected to (which is easily one of my favorite scenes in the series)

https://youtu.be/De1HHsKs8gk

Also if you've completed all of Requiem for Innocence including the extra scene I reference above (which doesn't become available until you do everything else) make sure to read this short story that was written by the creators to expand on that final scene. Seriously don't read this until you finish all of Requiem.

https://oujidere.wordpress.com/2018/06/10/fatamoru-a-requiem-for-innocence-short-story-our-home/

Anyway now on Reincarnation.
This scene is included FYI (along with some other new short stories) in the "Short Story" menu in Dreams of the Revenants.

I'm glad you liked it though! Was your initial reservation that there was no way for you to reconcile a story centered around Jacopo? I think they did about as good of a job as they could, not really forgiving or papering over that character's transgressions, while also showing that they were still very much human and tragically unable to see their descent off the path until it was too late.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Nate RFB posted:

Heaven's Feel's mid-section is infamously slow, dry, and not really fun, I wouldn't really compare it to the SoL parts of FHA. There's hardly any comedy to lighten the mood and it feels like it's really just trying to stretch the time so that the HGW in that chapter lasts about as long as it did in the other routes. FHA by comparison is a real side splitter and they do a much better job of establishing the characters since for the most part they are free of any serious conflict and so they have a lot of room to breathe and just kind of chill. It's obvious in hindsight that FHA in particular is what set the real tone and quirks of most of the cast (how, for example, Saber went from someone who was pretty dull IMO in the original to full-on comic relief).
Interesting. I actually did like Saber quite a bit in FSN but I'm curious to see how FHA differs in presenting the cast.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Bazett...........

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Finished Fata Morgana: Reincarnation, which wraps up the entire series. Some thoughts.

I was a little annoyed that Jacopo didn't just let Morgana leave at first, as I thought his words at the end of the previous section where he says he won't intrude in her life anymore as it causes her pain showed a lot of character growth and strength, at that seemed a bit of a regress. On the other hand, being open and true about his feelings is something he has had a hard time doing that so that also showed growth. And there's nothing that prevents Morgana from saying no to the trip to the homeland. And as it turns out, especially the way Morgana organizes it with Maria coming, how it ended gave Morgana a happy experience she otherwise wouldn't have gotten if Jacopo had just let her go, and I also do think that Morgana and Jacopo actually in some ways are good for each other, and are better off being together in some fashion (though not necessarily romantically) than apart. And the end leaves their trajectory on a hopeful note. Especially with Maria there. I think those three together each help the other be better people than if they were apart. So in the end I was pretty satisfied. I have a hard time thinking of some other way it could have ended better. (And the final song with them looking over the wheat field is really pretty.

As for the age difference it really doesn't bother me since technically Morgana is 1000 years old.

As for other characters:

It was great to see Giselle and Michel getting married. Though in a way we kind of knew they were going to have a happily ever after at the very end of the original game, so everything else after that has just been confirmation.

Outside of Jacopo and Morgana, Mell and Nellie show the most character growth, Mell stops turning away, and Nellie accepts herself as Mell's sister. I was pretty moved by their resolution.

Yukashima and Pauline are really frustrating, as what he needs is to see a loving psychologist, not someone who just accepts him for who he is. Still, they seem happy, so, eh.

Was really hoping to see some of the characters from Requiem, especially Ceren. Though hopefully she's also getting mental treatment somewhere in the world

On the whole though I was really satisfied with how everything wrapped up.

Make sure if you play it though that you read everything from Requiem before doing so, including the side stories. You'll understand why.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'm not going to read it but they walked back the bit about Mell and Nellie not being related in FM's original ending? That's good, I really didn't like that part.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

https://store.steampowered.com/app/970570/CHAOSCHILD/?curator_clanid=32618574

Chaos Child is very cheap right now ($17), and I've heard good things.

I haven't checked, but a lot of other VN's are prolly on sale because of the Steam Summer Sale as well

e: 428 Shibuya Scramble is $15 too

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 26, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Yeah all 3 danganronpas, steins gate, umineko question + answer, and fata morgana are all on sale between 30 and 60 percent off. I'm sure others are too but those are the ones I know.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

No Wave posted:

Yeah all 3 danganronpas, steins gate, umineko question + answer, and fata morgana are all on sale between 30 and 60 percent off. I'm sure others are too but those are the ones I know.

Yep

https://store.steampowered.com/tags/en/Visual%20Novel/#p=0&tab=TopSellers

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

No Wave posted:

Yeah all 3 danganronpas,

Yeah, Danganronpa 1, Danganronpa 2, and Ultra Despair Girls.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Is STEINS;GATE: Linear Bounded Phenogram worth reading?

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Ryuga Death posted:

Is STEINS;GATE: Linear Bounded Phenogram worth reading?

It doesn't have much to it unless you really want more Steins;Gate on what is basically a fandisk of 8 unconnected mini-routes. Starting few are supposed to be good, but the translation and editing quality takes a massive nosedive after that.

Buy Chaos;Child and get the Committee of Zero improvement/bugfix patch for it, it's very very good.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Chaos;Child without the part where it asks you to pick out a bunch of landmarks on an entirely untranslated map of Shibuya sounds great.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Just discovered something at the end of FM:Reincarnation.

When you get to the final scene make sure to check the backlog.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
With the steam sale going on, I was considering getting either House of Fata Morgana or Umineko. Which would recommend, as they seem somewhat similar (though that might be lack of knowledge)? Also, how much would me seeing the first season of Higurashi affect my enjoyment of the actual novel?

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

With the steam sale going on, I was considering getting either House of Fata Morgana or Umineko. Which would recommend, as they seem somewhat similar (though that might be lack of knowledge)?

I haven't played The House in Fata Morgana, so I can't speak with any real authority on their differences, but I have heard it takes itself much more seriously than Umineko does. Umineko knows when to get serious, but it's also frequently a lot of fun. 'Murder-filled but also slightly irreverent' is exactly the tone I like my visual novels to hit, so that works for me; I don't know what your preferences are.

I love Umineko to bits, but it does have occasional pacing issues (although they're nowhere near as bad as Chaos;Child's). Umineko starts slowly (to be fair, there are a lot of characters to introduce), but once it gets going it really gets going. Higurashi's similar on that front, actually, although I understand the value of its slow start; I was expecting it to go straight into 'oh, no, you're in a horrible situation!', much like Danganronpa, but the eventual horrible events in Higurashi ended up hitting harder because it had taken the time to portray the characters' everyday lives. I wouldn't know what Fata Morgana is like in terms of pacing.

Umineko also makes the puzzling decision to introduce its protagonist with 'hey, this is Battler and he's obsessed with breasts'; I promise he gets more likeable.

If you're able to get through the beginning of Umineko (and the opening isn't bad, just slow), you've got a great story, an intriguing mystery and a cast of flawed, fascinating characters awaiting you. I'd definitely recommend it. I've never really experienced anything else like it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There are moments of levity but yes by large Fata Morgana is pretty dour compared to Umineko. I wouldn't necessarily think liking one would indicate liking the other, but they are ultimately my two favorite VNs so either one would get a recommend. It depends on what you want; if a murder mystery and a huge heaping of metaphysical exploration on both the story and genre itself sounds good, you want Umineko. If a period piece suspenseful drama/tragedy with sprinklings of gothic horror is more in line with your mood, then Fata Morgana. Both VNs have extremely strong soundtracks and you will get a lot of bang for your buck since they are pretty long. I will say that I was more surprised by FM since I went in pretty blind whereas Umineko I had known what I was getting into being a fan of Higurashi, so that was a cool thing to experience.

As for Higurashi, I watched the anime first way back when and when the (first) releases by MangaGamer were coming out I treated as a rewatch and had a great time. There is more than enough that is added in the VNs to make it a good way to re-experience the story and still have it feel fresh.

theblackw0lf posted:

Just discovered something at the end of FM:Reincarnation.

When you get to the final scene make sure to check the backlog.
Not again!! Can't remember if I saved over my Reincarnation save...

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

They're different peoples' favorite VNs. Umineko is unbelievably long and has interminably boring repetitive sequences but the characters and conflicts speak to me more than the FM characters do so I prefer it. If you really can't decide between the two Umineko is on deeper discount right now, maybe that can be the tiebreaker?

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 27, 2019

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Just remember Umineko is a murder mystery and they're basically setting up the suspects and their possible motives as they introduce the Ushiromiya family members

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Nate RFB posted:

Not again!! Can't remember if I saved over my Reincarnation save...

It’s not that big a deal. Just an added comment that’s kinda sweet

You can always just skip everything till you get to the scene.

Also in terms of buying Fata Morgana, considering I don’t know if reincarnation will be coming to steam, I’d advise getting it on PS4/Vita. I wasn’t initially sure about whether it needed more after the original game but after playing through Requiem and Reincarnation I’m really glad I did. Plus the PlayStation versions have a bunch of short stories the steam version doesn’t

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The slow parts in the first two episodes become retroactively brilliant once you know the solution to the mystery IMO. They do kindof drag the first time around though.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Okay, thanks. I'm also going to get the first chapters of Higurashi, because honestly, all I remember of Higurashi that seems significant is murder, time loop (?), Hanyuu, blonde lady bad, and good OST, which really isn't that much.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I'd say that's actually most of it, myself, but I'm a "it's about the journey" type of person anyway.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Both Umineko and FM are great VNs, though I feel like Umineko is a far more deep and "personal" work that features more interesting characters than FM (though FM also has really good characters; this is more a positive statement about Umineko than a negative one about FM). The main way in which my opinion differs from many other people who also liked Umineko is that I don't think the "metaphysical genre exploration" or "murder mystery*" stuff are its strongest points (though those things are still pretty cool). Umineko sets itself apart mostly through its characters, which are dramatically more interesting and well-developed than the characters in literally every other property falling within the realm of "nerd media" (games, comics, fantasy books, etc) that I can think of.

The only potential issue with Umineko is that it's kinda easy to miss important things. This makes things a bit more rewarding if you end up understanding things, but it probably prevents many readers from appreciating what's going on.

* I'd actually go as far as to say that the strictly "murder mystery" aspects of Umineko are a bit weak; there aren't really any particularly clever tricks, and solving the mystery is almost entirely a matter of just understanding what's going on with the characters (since the main trick is related to understanding that Shannon/Kanon/Beatrice is the family leader with the gold and thus can control the servants and a bribed/threatened family member)

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 27, 2019

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

Both Umineko and FM are great VNs, though I feel like Umineko is a far more deep and "personal" work that features more interesting characters than FM (though FM also has really good characters; this is more a positive statement about Umineko than a negative one about FM). The main way in which my opinion differs from many other people who also liked Umineko is that I don't think the "metaphysical genre exploration" or "murder mystery*" stuff are its strongest points (though those things are still pretty cool). Umineko sets itself apart mostly through its characters, which are dramatically more interesting and well-developed than the characters in literally every other property falling within the realm of "nerd media" (games, comics, fantasy books, etc) that I can think of.

The only potential issue with Umineko is that it's kinda easy to miss important things. This makes things a bit more rewarding if you end up understanding things, but it probably prevents many readers from appreciating what's going on.

* I'd actually go as far as to say that the strictly "murder mystery" aspects of Umineko are a bit weak; there aren't really any particularly clever tricks, and solving the mystery is almost entirely a matter of just understanding what's going on with the characters (since the main trick is related to understanding that Shannon/Kanon/Beatrice is the family leader with the gold and thus can control the servants and a bribed/threatened family member)

Yea Umineko has many fascinating, multi-layered characters. Fata Morgana has a few, but there are only a couple that I think rise to the level of the kind you see in Umineko.

Actually I'd say that Jacopo is the most interesting character in the FM series, though you need to play Requiem to understand that.

I think FM's plot and emotional highs are at the level of Umineko though.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Oh I for sure prefer umineko. But I really want to adjust expectations with it, it's not like Danganronpa that comes in super hot.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Of course the murder mystery aspects of Umineko are a bit weak though, since the big reveal is that Umineko isn't actually a murder mystery or fantasy at all. It's a tragic love story

Big spoiler for umineko in there.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

It's always interesting seeing people comment on Umineko. I notice a lot of people, while reading, just perceive the end of episode 3 as Battler getting totally owned/tricked, but in reality the chapter is more about Beatrice's internal struggle over whether to settle for a comforting lie or to continue trying to force Battler to understand the truth. A lot of people seem to think Beato is just internally like "hahahaha I am totally fooling Battler!" during that episode, but she is actually legitimately tempted to go along with things and has a difficult time revealing the deception at the end.

Also I agree with the person who commented on the chick Beato stuff. That's the one story beat I'm not really a fan of, and I think it was the result of Ryuukishi having to come up with some way to indirectly explain the Beatrice situation since a lot if the reader base (understandably) still didn't understand at that point.

By the way, people have already probably said this many times before, but for the love of God if you're playing the Steam version do not use the default sprites. It causes me actual physical pain to see literally my favorite piece of fictional media tainted by that nonsense. Either the original or PS3 sprites are good, but holy gently caress are the pachinko ones used on the Steam version awful. It's a crime against all that is good that thousands of people are buying the game and playing it with those sprites.

Late reply but I honestly kinda prefer the Pachinko sprites in some ways. The originals are just extremely amateurish, the PS3 are a little too clean sometimes. The Pachinko ones are a little more expressive.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I played using Pachinko. I think the one character that's really hurt by them is Maria, she's drawn like a four year old and it really screws the character up imo. Otherwise you just sort of accept that part of ange's characterization is being cranky that she has to carry those giant sandbags around.

The non-battler guys in general look good, and I don't mind Aunt Eva looking so kind it makes it better when she gets super nasty sometimes. The boobage in general is absurd but you sort of forget about it soon enough.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 28, 2019

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!
I played Umineko with the pachinko/Steam art, and for the most part it worked for me. There were a couple of specific expressions I didn't like (Battler's one-eye-closed expressions tended to look like two expressions thrown together haphazardly), and the breasts bordered on body horror (eventually I decided it was just how Battler perceived everyone on the island), but I suppose every sprite set has its advantages and drawbacks. I don't like how the PS3 art makes Eva and Natsuhi look like they're in their early twenties; at least the pachinko art makes an effort to give the women some age in their faces as well as the men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT3uuZZnaxw