Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Zotix posted:

What speed ram would you guys put into a build with the 3900x? I know and released a graphic saying they support up to 3733, but the sweet spot is 3600. Those of you doing a new build what are you personally going to use?

3733 is the max you can run infinity fabric(FSB) at 1/1 ratio so I'd go with that. The tighter the timings the better imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Lube banjo posted:

3733 is the max you can run infinity fabric(FSB) at 1/1 ratio so I'd go with that. The tighter the timings the better imo

What do you mean together the timings exactly? The closer they are together numerically? Or am I primarily worried about CL?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Zotix posted:

What do you mean together the timings exactly? The closer they are together numerically? Or am I primarily worried about CL?
Lower CL more good-er.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Zotix posted:

Lower number are better, primarily the CAS (which is also the first number in a description like 18-18-18-50). The rest of the timings numbers are not as important and there isn't any gotcha memory that's like 16-30-69-420.

However, the existing Ryzen cpus have a drawback where they can only use even-number CAS at higher speeds. For example CAS 17 will be rounded up to 18. If that is still the case with Zen 2, it's not worth spending more money for 1 less CAS if it is an odd number.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Harik posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I only see them from Insight or PCM. Did HP exit the building business entirely and just slaps their brand on someone else's computer now?

Maybe the confusion is from the split to HP Inc. (hp.com) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise (hpe.com). HP Inc. manufacturers laptops, desktop, workstations, printers, etc. While Hewlett Packard Enterprise manufacturers servers, storage systems and such.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Zotix posted:

What speed ram would you guys put into a build with the 3900x? I know and released a graphic saying they support up to 3733, but the sweet spot is 3600. Those of you doing a new build what are you personally going to use?

I'm going to wait and see what the sweet spot actually is based on gaming benchmarks, but hopefully the B Die 3200 / c14 ram I have can make it up there.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Saukkis posted:

Maybe the confusion is from the split to HP Inc. (hp.com) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise (hpe.com). HP Inc. manufacturers laptops, desktop, workstations, printers, etc. While Hewlett Packard Enterprise manufacturers servers, storage systems and such.

No I'm specifically talking about Insight and PCM. "Fulfilled by [third party manufacturer]". When companies use contractors they don't advertise it as a product of whatever their contractor's name is. They're not Foxconn iphones, they're apple.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Yet another R5 3600 geekbench score this time with 3733 RAM, highest Windows score yet.

http://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/13631495

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Zotix posted:

Those of you doing a new build what are you personally going to use?

3200/cl14 b-die

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I don't have the good b-die ram since it was super expensive back when I built my Zen 1 system, but even with the inferior hynix stuff I'm able to push the clock above 3000. (Which I do because the 3000 C15 timing it is rated for gets rounded up to 16 anyways.) I wouldn't be shocked if b-die can push the clock substantially higher at the expense of timings on the new memory controller, assuming the mobo has good signal.

I kinda get the feeling that it's the exact same ram chips are being sold as 3200 CL16, 3600 CL18, and 4000 CL20 -- just with different XMP numbers written to the jdec and a more fancy looking heatspreaders.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

I'm going with 3200/CL16 because it's half the price of 3600/CL14, and I have 2 machines to upgrade.

My nodes with 2700s in them are already running 3000MHz RAM, and that'll be good enough for now (there's only so much money I can convince myself is worth throwing at my weird hobby of donating compute time and electricity, and 4 3900Xs is gonna be it for a while). The nodes with 1600s, OTOH, have ultra-cheap 2400MHz RAM in them. It seems pointless to upgrade to a 12 core CPU and strangle it with slow RAM.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
How important is CL? The RAM I was looking at was CL 19. I see options for CL 15 at the same speed/amount, but at double the price.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

surf rock posted:

How important is CL? The RAM I was looking at was CL 19. I see options for CL 15 at the same speed/amount, but at double the price.

As noted, if you can get CL16 for only a little bit more than CL18, it’s worth the price. But spending twice as much is pretty pointless as it’s unlikely this will bottleneck your system.

3peat
May 6, 2010

For people who want a cheaper alternative to b-die, check out this thread on r/amd https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/c421ul/micron_edie_new_best_performanceprice_ratio_with/

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Is this really something that I should be concerned with for the ryzen 3000 line or is it mainly much more applicable to the first two ryzen releases?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Zotix posted:

Is this really something that I should be concerned with for the ryzen 3000 line or is it mainly much more applicable to the first two ryzen releases?

Wait for benchmarks. The extent to which it makes a difference on Zen2 is unknown.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Zotix posted:

I was going to be good and wait for benchmarks, but I just pulled the trigger on 32 gigs of 3600mhz (19 CAS) RAM last week, so I hope I didn't gently caress it up. It was too cheap to say no to, and by the looks of things my workload won't be super sensitive to RAM speed anyway. Might slow my games down a hair here and there, but I can most likely live with it.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
So, what's the current feel on 6 Vs 8 core for a budget-limited New build? Are game engines likely to hit 8 threads in the next few years, or should I throw the difference into a spec bump for other parts?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Kerbtree posted:

So, what's the current feel on 6 Vs 8 core for a budget-limited New build? Are game engines likely to hit 8 threads in the next few years, or should I throw the difference into a spec bump for other parts?

For budget builds the part picking thread's been suggesting 6 core amd mostly due to them running a little bit cooler. I use my PC for everything though so I went with an R7-1700 8 core when it was on sale as the second gen stuff came out. Since they don't keep prices artificially high on older CPUs like Intel, it's an option.

eames
May 9, 2009

Kerbtree posted:

If we assume that next gen engines are optimized for 8 cores (which is what new consoles are expected to have) then 6C/6T are a bad idea, 6C/12T should be fine when you're on a budget but a CPU with more than 8C would be ideal.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Kerbtree posted:

A) What's your budget
B) Gaming only or productivity + gaming
C) 60 or 120/144 fps

1700 is incredible value if you can use the extra cores and don't need to push high frame rates. A 9400F is going to be the most single thread grunt you can get at a similar price but lacks hyperthreading. The 3000 series hexacores should be better than either at their respective strengths but may not fit into your budget.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kerbtree posted:

On a budget-limited gaming build you are always* going to get more value from the GPU than the CPU. If saving $100 on the CPU will allow your budget to include the next-higher class of video card, go with the six.

*(within reasonable bounds, not a Atom CPU and a 2880ti)

eames posted:

If we assume that next gen engines are optimized for 8 cores (which is what new consoles are expected to have)

Also what current consoles have. But it's a bad assumption because "optimize for N cores" is easier said than done. After a whole generation where multithreading was a *huge* priority because the console CPU was sucky and didn't have single-core boosting, a 4-core CPU is now sometimes a detriment to performance. The job of splitting more work off the main thread gets harder as you go one, not easier.

An 8-core is a great choice for people with the budget, and for anyone who wants a slow upgrade cycle. But a 6-core isn't going to turn into a pumpkin in 2020.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Klyith posted:

On a budget-limited gaming build you are always* going to get more value from the GPU than the CPU. If saving $100 on the CPU will allow your budget to include the next-higher class of video card, go with the six.

On the other hand, you can swap a GPU pretty much whenever while swapping a CPU is a compatibility gamble (not to mention the hassle of actually removing the cooler/CPU). If your GPU is sufficient for medium settings in the games you're playing now I'd recommend getting the better CPU with the intention of upgrading the GPU as time goes on.

If you're building a system right now I think it's fair to say that your CPU/mobo/RAM will not be carried into the next system, so if you can get an extra year or two of usage out of those components for that $100 I'd say you're coming out ahead.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Klyith posted:

An 8-core is a great choice for people with the budget, and for anyone who wants a slow upgrade cycle. But a 6-core isn't going to turn into a pumpkin in 2020.

Tell that to 6600k owners :v:

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Klyith posted:

The job of splitting more work off the main thread gets harder as you go one, not easier.

My experience writing concurrent network code does not agree with this. There's a learning curve to writing well-behaved and highly-concurrent code, but it's not unlike the learning curve to writing well-behaved object oriented code. In both cases you have to unlearn some old assumptions and accommodate yourself to some new design paradigms.

But I've found that once you get over that hump, and assuming good language support, writing code that spins off parts of itself for concurrent execution feels amazingly powerful and freeing. YMMV, obvs.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Arzachel posted:

Tell that to 6600k owners :v:

I'm not seeing where it's turned into a pumpkin. The 6600k isn't as fast as those two intel CPUs, but if you buy a K series processor and don't OC it then you played yourself.

mdxi posted:

My experience writing concurrent network code does not agree with this. There's a learning curve to writing well-behaved and highly-concurrent code, but it's not unlike the learning curve to writing well-behaved object oriented code. In both cases you have to unlearn some old assumptions and accommodate yourself to some new design paradigms.

But I've found that once you get over that hump, and assuming good language support, writing code that spins off parts of itself for concurrent execution feels amazingly powerful and freeing. YMMV, obvs.

Mmm, I should have specified video games only. My understanding of the subject is that games are still highly dependent on the fastest core's single-thread performance because that main loop hasn't been parallelized and is very difficult to parallelize. So instead of being multi-threaded from the ground up, it's been carving chunks off the top and sides. Thus the diminishing returns and why games don't scale very much with core count.

I'm not a developer, just have read a bunch of articles on the subject by devs so I couldn't say what the deep reasons are.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Klyith posted:

I'm not seeing where it's turned into a pumpkin. The 6600k isn't as fast as those two intel CPUs, but if you buy a K series processor and don't OC it then you played yourself.

The 6600k is still fine in average fps but in some recent titles like Battlefield V quadcores without SMT are having bad frame time issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97sDKvMHd8c&t=3s

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

MaxxBot posted:

The 6600k is still fine in average fps but in some recent titles like Battlefield V quadcores without SMT are having bad frame time issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97sDKvMHd8c&t=3s

55 fps minimum = "a bad time"

(here's the text version of the article so we can pull charts directly)

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I had a 6600k until a month or two ago and sidegraded to a 2600X. I wanted to move to AMD anyway and can pass the 2600X down to my brother in a month. I was having a lot of issues with frame time and stutter in modern titles with a 1080 at 1440p, all gone with the 2600X.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Thanks for linking those 1280x720 results, really appreciate it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
are we still gonna pretend that 4k ultra benchmarks are a valid way to evaluate CPU performance?

It's not a build guide where you are comparing which build gets the most framerate-per-dollar if you redirect more money to the GPU, it's a comparison of CPUs, you want to get the GPU completely out of the way.

it could be literally 240p, if the framerate is still changing then you aren't fully CPU-bottlenecked yet and aren't showing the actual limits of that CPU's performance.

now that Ryzen is on the cusp of maybe coming out on top in those benchmarks, maybe we can drop the BS about them being an invalid testing methodology. That is the way you want to test gaming performance of a CPU.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 24, 2019

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

If you're sensitive to frame timing, your game going from 100+ FPS to half that every several seconds is "a bad time".

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
720p is the proper way to test CPU performance, it's moronic to allow GPU limitations to come into the picture. It'd be no less dumb to bench a 2080Ti on an i5-750.

We definitely hit the point a couple years ago where 4c/4t started to become a real limitation, but to make the assumption that something like an 8/8 or 6/12 CPU is going to be a limitation for a buyer on a budget any time soon is silly. Games are really hard to parallelize, the performance of your single fastest core is always going to be the limiting factor, and as long as you've got enough performance for the various other threads on your other cores you'll be fine.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

jisforjosh posted:

If you're sensitive to frame timing, your game going from 100+ FPS to half that every several seconds is "a bad time".

Yep exactly. It was very noticeable and I tried lowering resolution, playing around with settings and etc. I was just commenting on my experience and not making a prediction about the future either. I'm personally going with a 3700X or a 3800X depending on how benchmarks shake out.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Klyith posted:

And that's not all! It also offers to sell you Overclocking Insurance! After all, overclocking isn't covered under warranty and could damage your chip if you push it too hard. (Only $19.99 what a deal!)

Gosh, how nice of them.

intel has offered this since the 2600k. gently caress yes i'll take some insurance for the cost that most people would blow on train sim DLC.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

https://twitter.com/hardwarepraise/status/1143210765853310978

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

incoherent posted:

intel has offered this since the 2600k. gently caress yes i'll take some insurance for the cost that most people would blow on train sim DLC.

Does that cover running over rated voltages? Because that's the only thing I could see causing actual damage to the chip.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

I really wish they'd compared against the 2600X and 8700K in more charts (eg games, cinebench, etc) because those are the relevant comparisons, not the 8C parts so much. Or at least the 9700K since that basically represents a mildly overclocked 8700K.

Looks like the 9900K is still coming out on top in single-threaded, the 9700K probably as well, but it probably beats a (stock) 8700K. 8700K has a pretty low all-core boost at stock (4.3 GHz vs 4.7 on the 9900K / 4.6 on the 9700K).

Memory latency is worse than Zen1, maybe that can be improved by other reviewers. And that obviously impacts Zen pretty heavily at least in previous iterations.

Looks like kind of a low quality review in general so I wouldn't take it super seriously but it's looking decent, no major pitfalls so far. Probably going to slot in a bit below Coffee Lake in gaming and a bit above in productivity, core for core.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 24, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

K8.0 posted:

720p is the proper way to test CPU performance, it's moronic to allow GPU limitations to come into the picture. It'd be no less dumb to bench a 2080Ti on an i5-750.

We definitely hit the point a couple years ago where 4c/4t started to become a real limitation, but to make the assumption that something like an 8/8 or 6/12 CPU is going to be a limitation for a buyer on a budget any time soon is silly. Games are really hard to parallelize, the performance of your single fastest core is always going to be the limiting factor, and as long as you've got enough performance for the various other threads on your other cores you'll be fine.

720p is essential to proper CPU testing in order to highlight the potential and future differences between CPUs with the HUGE caveat that if you only test 720p you won’t have a sense of real-world performance right now. Many people vastly over-buy CPUs under the impression that they’ll see actual qualitative gaming experience gains, but in the end it usually just lets them eke out another year or two from an old system when they probably would have saved money in the long run and had the same qualitative experience going with the cheaper option and upgrading sooner.

Totally agree with the rest, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Yeah there's something weird going on with their RAM setup as shown in the AIDA64 test