Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

grittyreboot posted:

Is there such a thing as a non-terrible video game site?

http://fourjobfiesta.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Yeah, I tried to play Doom with a controller, after beating the game on Ultraviolence with a mouse and keyboard, during Extra Life. I looked a lot like that video does.

That game is amazing, but not with a controller.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I made the mistake of trying to play Portal with an XBox controller, that is not the right tool for the job.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Kim Justice posted:

Is Ben Kuchera even a thing still? I haven't heard that name in years. And that's not a meme, I actually haven't.

Erik Kain is still pretty visible so that obviously worked out well. That was the cuntiest poo poo...I mean, if you talked like that in public about someone you actually worked with the very least you should expect is a dry loving slap. Benny Big Bollocks openly just trying to humiliate a fellow cohort...for what, exactly? Bitch.

Not really, as far as I know. This was the first I heard anything about him in a while.

From what I recall, what happened with the Kain vs Kuchera debacle was that back when Kain wrote for Wired, he posted an article on a previously unreleased SNES game coming to the Wii Virtual Shop, and brought up how the game had been available through emulation sites. People pointed out to him that this constituted as piracy, and he wrote a retraction on the article.

Kuchera, who was still working for Penny Arcade Report at the time, proceeded to blast Kain for promoting piracy, despite the fact that Kain acknowledged the mistake. Say what you will of Kain now (I don't know where he stands on what), but at the time, it was completely unwarranted.

The real kicker is that a year or so later later, Kuchera ended up writing an article on a Star Wars fan edit of A New Hope, with the headline, 'You can watch an 'unaltered' version of Star Wars in HD today, if you bend the law', which might have well been titled, "I'm a massive, hypocritical poo poo, but here's why that okay."

EDIT: Oh god, I was searching to find that Wired article and ran across this:

:cursed:

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 24, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Max Wilco posted:

You can tell he's using a controller to play, and if you're used to M+KB for FPS games, it can be awkward to adjust. That said, you could just cop to it and say, "Yeah, it didn't come out that well."

Apart from that, I think it's just that SA (or really any forum/place of discussion with non-insane people) just serves a better source for information or advice about games, since you can find or make a topic about the game or games in question. I think one of the "problems" with people in games media is that because you have people who have to meet deadlines and juggle other various things, so their analysis of games is a little skewed.

I haven't visited Games Radar in a long time. I think people consider Waypoint pretty bad, as they have beaten or are trying to beat Polygon in the field of 'dumb hot takes and opinion pieces', among other things (the fanfic thing springs to mind), but I know they've had a couple of good articles here and there.

waypoint has some dumb hot takes but overall they are better than polygon and rock paper shotgun and austin is cool.

i mean i will give giess that. i played the new wolfenstein on keyboard and sucked at it. used to gamepad or controller.

AFashionableHat posted:

Yeah, I tried to play Doom with a controller, after beating the game on Ultraviolence with a mouse and keyboard, during Extra Life. I looked a lot like that video does.

i play it fine with controller but i am weird console peasant/nerd. you pc bourgeoisie need to be sent to console reeducation camps :rms:

Kim Justice posted:

Is Ben Kuchera even a thing still? I haven't heard that name in years. And that's not a meme, I actually haven't.

Erik Kain is still pretty visible so that obviously worked out well. That was the cuntiest poo poo...I mean, if you talked like that in public about someone you actually worked with the very least you should expect is a dry loving slap. Benny Big Bollocks openly just trying to humiliate a fellow cohort...for what, exactly? Bitch.

i talk to erik kain on facebook. he is a pretty good dude.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Max Wilco posted:

Not really, as far as I know. This was the first I heard anything about him in a while.

From what I recall, what happened with the Kain vs Kuchera debacle was that back when Kain wrote for Wired, he posted an article on a previously unreleased SNES game coming to the Wii Virtual Shop, and brought up how the game had been available through emulation sites. People pointed out to him that this constituted as piracy, and he wrote a retraction on the article.

Kuchera, who was still working for Penny Arcade Report at the time, proceeded to blast Kain for promoting piracy, despite the fact that Kain acknowledged the mistake. Say what you will of Kain now (I don't know where he stands on what), but at the time, it was completely unwarranted.

The real kicker is that a year or so later later, Kuchera ended up writing an article on a Star Wars fan edit of A New Hope, with the headline, 'You can watch an 'unaltered' version of Star Wars in HD today, if you bend the law', which might have well been titled, "I'm a massive, hypocritical poo poo, but here's why that okay."

EDIT: Oh god, I was searching to find that Wired article and ran across this:

:cursed:

jesus christ, he looks even more horrifying then i pictured.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I think at this point, nobody actually follows polygon for games journalism reasons and strictly cares about their video team's ahenanigans

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Just want to say, congrats, you're now officially famous on J>E Localization Professional twitter.

Yeah, it was kind of wild to open twitter this morning and the first thing I see be loving Frog-Kun critiquing a screencap of my half-assed oral history of Fandom stupidity

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kim Justice posted:

I just remembered Kuchera was the Penny Arcade dude way back when.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

AFashionableHat posted:

I beat Doom 2016 on Ultraviolence with a controller, and did just fine. Well, that's slightly inaccurate because I dropped the difficulty after a few attempts on the final boss because I just wanted to get that over with, but that wasn't the controller's fault as I did even worse when I tried the fight with M+KB. I just don't like doing any sort of platforming or that kind of thing on a keyboard, and the last fight in Doom has plenty of that (complete with huge damage or instadeath if you gently caress up).

In any event, it certainly didn't look like I was slamming my face against the controller like the Polygon video. Sure, M+KB is great and all, but I'm used to controllers and since I have no plans of playing competitive FPS games on PC I'll stick to what I'm comfortable with.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno where to put this, but this seemed like a relevant spot, and I kinda wanted to get the word out after some of this exploded across twitter.

ζ

That greek letter is being used by 'zoophiles'/animal rapists as a symbol for their cause, and they put it in their twitter profiles. They're also trying to link their 'cause' with lgbt stuff, so be careful.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

You can tell he's using a controller to play, and if you're used to M+KB for FPS games, it can be awkward to adjust. That said, you could just cop to it and say, "Yeah, it didn't come out that well."

if you didn't work at polygon and insist doom could be played without a console controller, you literally don't know what you're talking about.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Pharohman777 posted:

I dunno where to put this, but this seemed like a relevant spot, and I kinda wanted to get the word out after some of this exploded across twitter.

ζ

That greek letter is being used by 'zoophiles'/animal rapists as a symbol for their cause, and they put it in their twitter profiles. They're also trying to link their 'cause' with lgbt stuff, so be careful.

What? That’s, something. And I’m checking on Twitter and wow, this is real.

Could you post examples of these zoophiles trying to link themselves to lgbt?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Annointed posted:

Could you post examples of these zoophiles trying to link themselves to lgbt?

I'd be skeptical of those examples, a recurring trend on 4chan and the like is trying to delegitimize the LGBT movement by false-flagging support for pedophile acceptance. Wouldn't surprise me if they've recycled that idea for zoophiles now.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/lgbtp-adding-letter/

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Max Wilco posted:

I think Arthur Gies was the one behind the 'bad at Doom' gameplay video.

https://twitter.com/aegies/status/731621595337228288?lang=en

Arthur Gies was also the guy who said that anyone who didn't work at Maxis and said that SimCity 2013 could be played offline doesn't know what they're talking about. Less than a week later, the community released a mod to allow the game to allow the game to run offline. Dude's an incredible toolbag.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Another thing 4chan likes to do is to pick a random innocuous image and spread the rumor that it’s actually a coded message referring to something objectionable. Remember Pepe the Frog, and the okay hand sign? I’m not saying that’s definitely happening in this case, but be careful. The trolls want to turn everyone into Dan Brown characters, constantly on the lookout for hidden signs and evil conspiracies.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Bakeneko posted:

Another thing 4chan likes to do is to pick a random innocuous image and spread the rumor that it’s actually a coded message referring to something objectionable. Remember Pepe the Frog, and the okay hand sign? I’m not saying that’s definitely happening in this case, but be careful. The trolls want to turn everyone into Dan Brown characters, constantly on the lookout for hidden signs and evil conspiracies.

They did both of those things so much that it kind of did become crypto-fascist language, though. Not saying every Pepe avatar wants to kill all ethnic minorities but it very much is used as a way for fascists to signal themselves to each other. And the "it was just trolling, it's not really a thing" bit is a really useful way to give themselves some cover in that regard.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, fascists are absolutely using pepe and the ok sign unironically now. Makes seeing twitch chat on anything a pain because there's a million pepe-styled emoticons on there and I'm sure a lot of folks use them without knowing all of that stuff, but it still sucks to see it warped like that. I like to have chat on for some slower channels that don't move a mile a minute and it's obnoxious seeing them pop up all the time especially with Matt Furie's attempts to curtail it's appropriation.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The new thing is all that weird clown and fren (friend) poo poo. Thing is that most people with normal adjustment see it coming now cause it's expected they will make up some new stupid thing anyway.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Pepe was a more organic thing since he was already a meme on 4chan.

The okay sign, clowns, and other dumb poo poo was deliberate attempts to get people thinking they were signs of hate speech. And then they act like they’re puppet masters when people report “Hey, white supremacists are really into clowns as of late.” Unsurprisingly, this invariably leads to those things just being absorbed into alt-right culture anyways.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the clown world thing is a weird projection adjacent kind of thing because we do live in a clown world but they're talking about the jews and not reactionary morons voting the dumbest guy alive into the most powerful position on earth while his party denies the oncoming global catastrophe.

we're all living in the twilight zone episode "it's a good life" except the little boy is a fox news grandpa. you can't get any clownier.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Clerical Terrors posted:

They did both of those things so much that it kind of did become crypto-fascist language, though. Not saying every Pepe avatar wants to kill all ethnic minorities but it very much is used as a way for fascists to signal themselves to each other. And the "it was just trolling, it's not really a thing" bit is a really useful way to give themselves some cover in that regard.

Right, but I still think it’s worthwhile to be skeptical whenever something like this turns up. The people behind these sorts of things, whether they’re trolls or unironic fascists, work by inspiring confusion and fear in people. They want to see all those hysterical news articles blasting whatever meme they’ve latched onto because that’s how they know they’ve gotten under people’s skin.

The only way to win their stupid game is to ignore it, or laugh at their nonsense.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Sarcopenia posted:

OKI Weird Stories: "The Most Hated Man in Comedy"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PndtF5b16LE
Warning Hyperbole at the start.

Aaand it's gone.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pants Donkey posted:

Pepe was a more organic thing since he was already a meme on 4chan.

The okay sign, clowns, and other dumb poo poo was deliberate attempts to get people thinking they were signs of hate speech. And then they act like they’re puppet masters when people report “Hey, white supremacists are really into clowns as of late.” Unsurprisingly, this invariably leads to those things just being absorbed into alt-right culture anyways.

Yeah, the OK sign was the dumbest loving thing ever. It was just Bumble Jack Posobiec literally out in the open going “lol hey guys, let’s fool the stupid libs into thinking we’ve made the OK hand sign into a white power gesture, because they’ll fall for anything and we’re actually not racist—STOP USING IT AS A RACIST HAND SIGN GUYS, JESUS gently caress!”

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

T1J has a new video on something I think is not talked about enough: colorism.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

His stuff is great.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The new Eva translation is more accurate to the script. Contextually, it fucks that scene up because yeah the whole point was Shinji experiencing someone expressing love for him for the first time. Localizer needed to read between the lines a bit more.

Also it's weird watching people get mad about this when the original dub/sub was utterly loving despised when it came out.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Fabricated posted:

The new Eva translation is more accurate to the script. Contextually, it fucks that scene up because yeah the whole point was Shinji experiencing someone expressing love for him for the first time. Localizer needed to read between the lines a bit more.

Also it's weird watching people get mad about this when the original dub/sub was utterly loving despised when it came out.

I'm so hosed up.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Takoluka posted:

I'm so hosed up.
I'm old enough to remember people hating that loving translation.

tbh to me that expressed the thought in the scene most accurately but I don't think most professional localizers would go that far.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

He's getting a lot better with his lighting and delivery.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Pannen is great, I wish he did more commentated videos, but he kinda got harassed to hell and back because 'lol parallel universes' and now just does stuff on his alt channel.

It probably doesn't help that his video was mostly technical but it was really annoying to see a lot of people basically act like Mario 64 was this weird black box of wonders involving a fat plumber and he basically broke the illusion and was too stubborn to even press a button and poo poo all over what could have been a really neat voiced commentary. It's like if everyone went to 3Blue1Brown's page and basically wrote "Wow numbers are confusing and scary, but why aren't you telling me how to balance a check book instead of telling me about fake math" over and over again.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fabricated posted:

Well those people were wrong when it came out

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

I know that the term "virtue signaling" has been corrupted beyond its original meaning due to constant misunderstanding and misuse of the term. But that's partially what it is when internet Nazis say something is "clown world", or when internet leftists call right-wingers "chuds" and make jokes about their brains (as opposed to just calling them stupid). It's part in-group vocabulary, part secret handshake in case you want to say, "Relax, I'm one of you too." I really don't like it. Be witty. Be yourself.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

ADV exercising brutal creative license in their dubs was always a good thing and I'm happy that Amanda Winn Lee spends her retirement as a gossipy weed mom who roasts MRAs on twitter

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Jim talks about Stadia and how the rise of cloud gaming means squeezing customers for more money.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The rise of cloud gaming is gonna be a whole lot of "oh, I can't use it because my internet doesn't actually work as-advertised because the ISP cheaped out on the fibre build".

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Sarcopenia posted:

OKI Weird Stories: "The Most Hated Man in Comedy"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PndtF5b16LE
Warning Hyperbole at the start.

Video's gone. Just curious, who was it about?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

ADV exercising brutal creative license in their dubs was always a good thing and I'm happy that Amanda Winn Lee spends her retirement as a gossipy weed mom who roasts MRAs on twitter

I can't tell someone whether the EoE commentary is a good one or not, but I'm glad it exists for future generations to hear.

https://youtu.be/A0AYyYKtJCc

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Video's gone. Just curious, who was it about?

Dan Nainan.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The rise of cloud gaming is gonna be a whole lot of "oh, I can't use it because my internet doesn't actually work as-advertised because the ISP cheaped out on the fibre build".
It's not just going to be a problem with gaming, it's going to be a problem with everything. I feel like the center of economic growth in America has moved from Wall Street to Silicon Valley, which is just as well because most of the "best and brightest" made that migration ten years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

get that OUT of my face posted:

It's not just going to be a problem with gaming, it's going to be a problem with everything. I feel like the center of economic growth in America has moved from Wall Street to Silicon Valley, which is just as well because most of the "best and brightest" made that migration ten years ago.

Which has a good chance of being even worse than Wall Street because Silicon Valley tends to be in an even smaller bubble of what they think people have access to or want.