Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!
I flat out refuse to play the sniper maps. The concept is poorly executed. (accidents cause everybody to panic and flee? gently caress you!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The mobile game is better in that regard.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Nakar posted:

Did you actually test this? Because it doesn't work at all. At the very least, a blood puddle is not conductive of electricity under any circumstances I can determine. Whoever said this must have been standing in water or a puddle or something without knowing it. The blood's just a decal, it doesn't appear to do anything.

EDIT: But since you're curious, here's the skinny. A blood puddle will only form when an NPC is initially killed, and then only when killed in a "bloody" fashion. Any gunshot and any lethal melee other than Fiber Wire will work (not sure about explosions but I believe not, oddly enough). Stuff like frontal non-lethal melee will spatter blood about, but it won't create a puddle.

i didn't test it :( but thank you for doing the hard work

i thought it could be feasible since flammable oil conducts electricity in-game, and i thought it didn't do that in real life

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

IMPORTANT NEWS!
Agent 47's hobby is sweater knitting!

https://youtu.be/fvU9EL4zd1M

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 24, 2019

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Let's gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Tobias Weaver.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Zedd posted:

Tobias Weaver.

Knitman

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It would be Wiever

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

trying to evoke some john wick vibes huh

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I am hyped as gently caress to start blundering my way through a new map tomorrow. :v:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

gently caress that looks great. really happy they keep doing completely different locations.

Holding out hope the last one is a nerd convention in San Diego.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

poo poo I totally forgot that was tomorrow, amazing. Looks amazing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Super No Vacancy posted:

trying to evoke some john wick vibes huh

John Wick 2 reminded me a whole lot of Hitman with the in-depth setup and prepping to go through the map and hit the target, only to gently caress it up on the way out and pull the guns out

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It's good to have variety, but I always enjoyed the flashy james-bond-style environments like Hokkaido, Bangkok, or Sgail over the grungier environments like Colorado or Mumbai. A massive ritzy unrealistic bank is an awesome idea and I can't wait to see which conveniently bald distinctively dressed upper-level employees work there.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I miss payday 2... :sigh:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Payday 2 used to be my most played game on Steam until it became... whatever it is now.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Oh is it bad now? I bought it on Steam sale months ago and forgot about it.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

Same, except I bought it years ago and forgot about it. Heard it became a bloated mess, but maybe someone else can provide actual insight.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
How many job interviews has 47 participated in now

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Discendo Vox posted:

I miss payday 2... :sigh:

No matter what Jules has done, we'll always have Big Bank.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

UnknownMercenary posted:

And as of tomorrow we'll have a big bank that's fun when you're going stealth, rather than loud, too!

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Work is keeping me away until the weekend so enjoy beating me to the bank goodness, folks.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I want that outfit to be unlockable so you can wear it in Whittleton Creek.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Nottherealaborn posted:

Same, except I bought it years ago and forgot about it. Heard it became a bloated mess, but maybe someone else can provide actual insight.

Mantis42 posted:

Mzbundifund posted:

Payday 2 used to be my most played game on Steam until it became... whatever it is now.

I am kind of a super expert on all the things that happened with payday 2. Without derailing, it suffered from a whole host of things, particularly repeated turnover in lead roles, psychotically poor corporate leadership, and a lead designer at the end of life who actively ignored feedback and made unimaginably terrible decisions; the closest analogue would be "ok, people are complaining they have run out of content, so here's a new difficulty called 'True Hitman' where all guards are now two guards and move twice as fast, and all NPCs have four times their current health". The game still has a bunch of fun core elements, but there's a learning curve with all the different material going on, and the core gameplay of loud combat is nowhere near as fun as it once was.

...and I was being sort of facetious because I lead a big overhaul rebalance mod that's fixing all its broken features. game's good again, you just have to buy my book play my mod. I just really miss seeing new levels and the Hitman Bank is making me reminisce. Hit me up if you genuinely want to know more.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 25, 2019

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Discendo Vox posted:

and I was being sort of facetious because I lead a big overhaul rebalance mod that's fixing all its broken features. game's good again, you just have to buy my book play my mod. I just really miss seeing new levels and the Hitman Bank is making me reminisce.

Big Bank was the first major PD2 map DLC, released with huge fanfare (ah, Bobblehead Bob, I brought you with me every time), wasn't it? Unless I'm missing one in my memory? Makes sense that we'd make a mental association with the Hitman 2 situation (I did too, when the bank being a big ornate one that reminded me of The Benevolent was revealed, myself).

edit: Oh, right Armored Transports. I actually got PD2 slightly after the release, and got AT with it, so I guess I don't really think of it as DLC.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Big Bank was the first major PD2 map DLC, released with huge fanfare (ah, Bobblehead Bob, I brought you with me every time), wasn't it? Unless I'm missing one in my memory? Makes sense that we'd make a mental association with the Hitman 2 situation (I did too, when the bank being a big ornate one that reminded me of The Benevolent was revealed, myself).

edit: Oh, right Armored Transports. I actually got PD2 slightly after the release, and got AT with it, so I guess I don't really think of it as DLC.

Big Bank was the second paid heist DLC, but there were also several weapons ones. As EimiYoshikawa notes, it is really heavily reminiscent of this bank:

For context, y'all, payday was also running as a games as service model, principally based on large amounts of added content as relatively cheap DLC, alongside free content. They also tried a variety of other, worse models because so many people complained about the amount of DLC, but this was no more successful (the game had a really toxic, entitled fanbase). Only toward the very end of its ~5 year lifespan did they start offering bundled "ultimate edition" versions. It lasted forever and made a lot of money, but over time it turned into a horrifying crunchfactory for the devteam (made much worse by the parent company basically torching all of its earnings).

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I think it's fair to say that Payday 2's attempt at loot box monetization was poorly thought out at best. The reaction was overblown because it ultimately had little effect on gameplay (and other changes happening at the same time were far worse for end users).

I hope they do some dumbass Payday 2 easter egg for this map even though it's very unlikely. Like just stick some clown masks somewhere.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

I want that outfit to be unlockable so you can wear it in Whittleton Creek.

I could be wrong, but I remember reading an article or something a couple of days ago, which said that the suit (usable in different maps, I mean) would be the last unlockable in the bank's mastery tree. I'm at work right now though, so I can't try and dig it up

EDIT: vvv Oh yeah, sorry I should've clarified that - I thought DV meant the regular map's suit, not the sweater.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 25, 2019

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The suit is the double-breasted trenchcoat; the sweater appears to be a unique NPC's outfit that 47 can probably steal to impersonate him. It (probably) isn't unlockable.

They updated the website, by the by, and the suit is called The New Yorker.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I brushed up on Mumbai since that's getting a new mission tomorrow (along with Colombia). I know the new missions take place at a different time of day than the original ones, but I don't know if the maps will be radically different other than that.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I really want the sweater in Whittleton Creek because I really want to make some Mr. Roger's Neighborhood contracts.

UnknownMercenary posted:

I think it's fair to say that Payday 2's attempt at loot box monetization was poorly thought out at best. The reaction was overblown because it ultimately had little effect on gameplay (and other changes happening at the same time were far worse for end users).

I hope they do some dumbass Payday 2 easter egg for this map even though it's very unlikely. Like just stick some clown masks somewhere.

I have a magic story about that. The announcement was done with a big reveal on day one of the event, swinging open a heavily teased door to reveal...the game's generic scumbag character was going to start selling lootboxes! Boxes drop for free, buy keys for a buck fifty. The devs announced that keys would also drop for free...five days later in the event, via one of the protagonist characters. Across that five day gap, the community became so incandescent with rage that when the key announcement hit, huge swaths of the userbase believed it was a hastily thrown together reversal. By that point they were doing things like review bombing, stalking devteam members irl and setting up separate, pre-lootbox instanced versions of the game.

That's not the magic story. The magic is that this announcement setup was a last minute change. Originally, they were going to announce both the lootboxes and the free keys on the last day of the event, at the same time. The scumbag was going to make people shell out for keys, then immediately after the protagonist would reveal "C'mon, did you really think we'd do that to you? Keys will drop for free, you only need to buy them to speed things up".

Because someone higher up decided to rush the rollout, they generated five days of completely unrecoverable bad press and total loss of faith. It's still the thing payday 2 is most known for.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Keys were (and are) still $2.50 because Overkill copied Valve's model almost wholecloth but without the handful of minor conveniences that made it semi-tolerable. Free key drops were so rare that they might as well have not existed.

If both announcements happened at the same time it might've gone over better but honestly it was a bad loving idea from top to bottom and this is coming from someone who embraced the system.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Can you really blame the community for reacting the way it did? Corporations deserve no faith nor love when they remove their own masks willingly before you. Also, anyone unironically using the term "entitled fanbase" in tyool 2019...is...just...hard to stomach.

I say this as someone who (still) has more positive than negative feelings for Overkill, even now.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Can you really blame the community for reacting the way it did? Corporations deserve no faith nor love when they remove their own masks willingly before you. Also, anyone unironically using the term "entitled fanbase" in tyool 2019...is...just...hard to stomach.

Yes, I can. Payday 2's fanbase demanded that everything in the game be free, from the very beginning of support. That is not an exaggeration. The immediate response to the loot crate system involved antisemitic memes and can be traced back to problems with chud content creators who dictated community response and perception of things even in the previous game, payday the heist. Influential members of the community defined themselves, and socialized themselves through, identifying real or perceived slights by the developers and fixating on them. The community generated multiple waves of conspiracy theories about the company's activities, and much of the modding community is based around restoring "stolen content." One of the community mods developed an enemies list and was ultimately banned after repeatedly trying to promote what were basically DLC unlocker mods. There were attempts (thankfully inept) at direct irl harassment of individual developers. The userbase for payday 2 was much more toxic than that of most other comparably sized games.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 25, 2019

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Eh, I'm not trying to defend the worst elements, because poo poo people will be there in pretty much any game community these days. Hell, there are probably horrible people making "funny" videos about purging the jews in Hitman levels that I hope I never learn actually exist or not. I'm simply saying that people being upset at Overkill (or rather, Starbreeze, effectively) introducing loot crates as a "gift" to the community in the midst of Crimefest, which Overkill chose to make a thing that existed to show said fanbase that they cared, and, contrariwise, that they appreciated the support of said fanbase, and one could, of course, dismiss as a cynical attempt at generating goodwill within a customer base like any other PR, was a terrible loving idea that deserved the outcry it got, generally speaking, obviously not including bigoted bullshit, because trying to use the horrible minority to dismiss the valid concerns of a majority is also loving bullshit and disingenuous tactics of the man 101.

I'm not going to pretend that a small part of a fanbase being toxic means dismissing the entirety thereof or validating the bad behavior of a company that both the shitheads and the non-shitheads are upset about. And why the gently caress are we talking about this in the Hitman 2 thread, given that we no longer even have the pretense of talking about the Big Bank anymore?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

if you wait long enough in the new bank level, some parodies of the payday crew arrive and start shooting the place up

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

where the red fern gropes posted:

if you wait long enough in the new bank level, some parodies of the payday crew arrive and start shooting the place up

Oh man I love the Paycheck crew.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

11.6 GB download, and I see the New York + Special Assignments Pack 1 in my DLC listing. :getin:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Suddenly I don't care about the Steam Sale.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Ugh tried updating this morning and it told me servers are undergoing maintenance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Nottherealaborn posted:

Ugh tried updating this morning and it told me servers are undergoing maintenance.

https://twitter.com/IOInteractive/status/1143476150422908931

They're getting ready, be patient. Just get that download going!