Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Mischievous Mink posted:

The very first page of this thread has people debating how to best cut off the heat for an old woman to make her leave and get a more profitable tenant.

PostNouveau posted:

Also, someone looking for advice on how to break Maryland's anti-Section 8 discrimination laws without getting caught.

mao was wrong about sparrows but right about landlords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
. wroibgh

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
I'm a great tenant.

My landlords all love me until I've moved out because I make sure the place is spotless, get them to sign off on it, and then I check if they've protected my deposit. Then I let them know I'll be seeking compensation, because literally none of them have done so far.

There's a lot of students around here so I presume they break the law in the hope their mostly first-time renters won't be familiar with the law, maybe? The only thing that's clear is the desire for a quick buck now outweighs any other idea.

When I moved back to the UK I was on my own while my family took care of things on their end, and I found myself in one of those 'rooms above a shop' places where it turned out they made a habit of it. 3x deposit in compensation plus the original deposit for every contract in that place. There are now student-focused online resources for anyone thinking of, or possibly already renting from that company.

I thought they were unique, but it turns out there's a lot of landlords at it.

I'm lucky enough to have a good job, so what I make goes to a homelessness charity. Last time was Centrepoint, next time probably Shelter.org.uk, or maybe one of the shelters in the local area - nowhere near enough to balance the scales at all, but it's something to do in the meantime, isn't it?

That's some free advice for any UK landlords here, you're welcome.

Don't have too many sleepless nights over a 3x penalty plus forfeiture of the deposit in full, though. What you should be losing sleep over is that if you failed to protect the deposit in time you also now can't serve a Section 21 (reposession) notice until you've settled with the tenant :)

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Taking a quick break to let some things get resolved. In the meantime, feel free to go over and poo poo up this monstrosity.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3885970

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

The OP for the new thread is taking a little longer than I expected, so while I try to get that new one made, I'll permit this to continue. Keep in mind that half that with this six year old thread, half the people who have posted here don't anymore.

Anyway, this is the rental property thread, for people who own rental property or are thinking about buying it.

It's not the "how do I kick out these 'certain people'" thread, or the "can I turn off my tenant's utilities?" thread.

It's also not the guillotine thread, or the abolish private property thread.

People here just to troll in bad faith will get the same treatment as before, which is escalating probations.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

what's the plan for the new op and what will the new limits on discussion be? i gather that the new thread won't be about how to evict people with pesky laws getting in the way?

TheLizard posted:

I'm moving soon and don't want to sell my place, so I'm going to be a landlord soon enough. DC area; my realtor takes the first month rent and 7% commission each month. This seems to be standard in the area.

My biggest concern is that in MD you can't discriminate on criminal history or section 8 status. I do NOT want section 8 renters in here; this is my first house, I've owned it for 9 years and put a bunch of work into it, so I don't want trashy people destroying it. I'm sure I'll get heat for that, but I don't care. Every place I've lived that has had section 8 renters in the community you could tell which house was theirs.

Authentic You posted:

Raise the rent. My friend's parents own a rental duplex not far from me, and were renting it for what was a pretty drat good deal for the nice neighborhood it's in. When they were looking for new tenants, they'd get a shitton of inquiries about whether they accepted Section 8 (not sure about how Section 8 discrimination works in PA) and lots of low-quality applicants in general, so they just arbitrarily raised the rent by a few hundred a month. After that, only folks inquiring were quiet grad students, young professionals, and well-to-do young families.

Also, don't ever rent to undergrads. Ever. My downstairs neighbor is one of my landlord's maintenance guys, and oh god the stories he tells.
is the discussion going to be focused on long-term leases, keeping the property in good shape, and keeping a good relationship with the tenants? is there going to be any concern for the regulatory bodies that landlords operate under, and how they're going to hit energy efficiency milestones without putting tenants into further fuel poverty? what's the mechanism going to be when a poster comes in with the same opinions as above and how can we trust that this won't just be a repeat of the last attempt to keep this thread active?

in the past few months all the relevant questions were kept to the home sperging/haunted house ownership threads without a real need to have a landlord thread per-say. if there was a need in the past couple of months, wouldn't a poster have just made a thread?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

what's the plan for the new op and what will the new limits on discussion be? i gather that the new thread won't be about how to evict people with pesky laws getting in the way?

Correct. There's a line between shady slumlords and people renting out a duplex. I don't want the actions of the former to get the thread shut down for the latter.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

in the past few months all the relevant questions were kept to the home sperging/haunted house ownership threads without a real need to have a landlord thread per-say. if there was a need in the past couple of months, wouldn't a poster have just made a thread?

There was some concerns about doxxing if someone posted the new OP with their account, so I asked around to crowd source it. If other threads have been filling in the gaps, maybe we can go with that.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Simpsons Reference posted:

Correct. There's a line between shady slumlords and people renting out a duplex. I don't want the actions of the former to get the thread shut down for the latter.
well the big issue is it didn't cause this thread to get shutdown in the first place, but i digress

quote:

There was some concerns about doxxing if someone posted the new OP with their account, so I asked around to crowd source it. If other threads have been filling in the gaps, maybe we can go with that.
there aren't many topics that aren't covered by those threads really. the legalities and business plans of landlording are about the only points left, and those are extremely regional so good luck avoiding a fear of doxxing and getting any relevant information

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ywp1e_nRnQ

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Simpsons Reference posted:

is this going to be part of the new thread? i'm liking the approach already.

IrvingWashington posted:

I'm a great tenant.

My landlords all love me until I've moved out because I make sure the place is spotless, get them to sign off on it, and then I check if they've protected my deposit. Then I let them know I'll be seeking compensation, because literally none of them have done so far.

There's a lot of students around here so I presume they break the law in the hope their mostly first-time renters won't be familiar with the law, maybe? The only thing that's clear is the desire for a quick buck now outweighs any other idea.

When I moved back to the UK I was on my own while my family took care of things on their end, and I found myself in one of those 'rooms above a shop' places where it turned out they made a habit of it. 3x deposit in compensation plus the original deposit for every contract in that place. There are now student-focused online resources for anyone thinking of, or possibly already renting from that company.

I thought they were unique, but it turns out there's a lot of landlords at it.

I'm lucky enough to have a good job, so what I make goes to a homelessness charity. Last time was Centrepoint, next time probably Shelter.org.uk, or maybe one of the shelters in the local area - nowhere near enough to balance the scales at all, but it's something to do in the meantime, isn't it?

That's some free advice for any UK landlords here, you're welcome.

Don't have too many sleepless nights over a 3x penalty plus forfeiture of the deposit in full, though. What you should be losing sleep over is that if you failed to protect the deposit in time you also now can't serve a Section 21 (reposession) notice until you've settled with the tenant :)
ya the new rent deposit schemes have been a great addition to giving tenants protection from landlords

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I'm a supporter of housing assistance in general, but Wiggly Wayne DDS you seem a bit insufferable. Landlords discriminating applications based on Section 8 status or criminal records is legal in some states and I don't think you should get to decide what is or is not 'acceptable discussion' on this here gay comedy forum. Sure if it's illegal I agree it should not be allowed in the thread, and there shouldn't be content that denigrates or attacks anybody, but other than that I don't see a need to censor people's opinions.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Nobody was offering to censor you from revealing yourself to be a rent seeking leech on our economy, who sees no problem with the assistance of human rights abuses that got this thread shut down.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Something Offal posted:

Landlords discriminating applications based on Section 8 status or criminal records is legal in some states and I don't think you should get to decide what is or is not 'acceptable discussion' on this here gay comedy forum.

:thunk:

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Something Offal posted:

I'm a supporter of housing assistance in general, but Wiggly Wayne DDS you seem a bit insufferable. Landlords discriminating applications based on Section 8 status or criminal records is legal in some states and I don't think you should get to decide what is or is not 'acceptable discussion' on this here gay comedy forum. Sure if it's illegal I agree it should not be allowed in the thread, and there shouldn't be content that denigrates or attacks anybody, but other than that I don't see a need to censor people's opinions.

Imagine :thunk:. but growing to an infinite size.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Something Offal posted:

Landlords discriminating applications based on Section 8 status or criminal records is legal in some states and I don't think you should get to decide what is or is not 'acceptable discussion' on this here gay comedy forum. Sure if it's illegal

Jesus christ

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Oh cool landlord thread's back, I'm sure everything will be fine.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 25, 2019

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I don't much like landlords tbqh

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Dunno why my post is that . For the record I'm a renter and I'm not really okay with Section 8 / criminal record screening from landlords but I think censorship of ideas is a slippery slope, that's all.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Something Offal posted:

Dunno why my post is that . For the record I'm a renter and I'm not really okay with Section 8 / criminal record screening from landlords but I think censorship of ideas is a slippery slope, that's all.

actually 'Ideas about how i'm better at screwing over poor people (read: Better at racism)' are bad, and people sharing them are bad.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Magnusth posted:

actually 'Ideas about how i'm better at screwing over poor people (read: Better at racism)' are bad, and people sharing them are bad.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Something Offal posted:

looking forward to the new thread if this is the level of discourse. what is your definition of housing assistance, and why do you believe a landlord should have a say in who is allowed a roof over their head?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Something Offal posted:

"censorship of ideas is a slippery slope"
"i think we should be able to discriminated against people so we don't have to provide them a necessary human right"

reallllllllllly hope the guillotines are televised cause I will tune in to yours

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A private org/community providing consequences for lovely speech is not censorship hth

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

Fun to see the most guillotine-able thread trying to rev back up.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Regular Nintendo posted:

A private org/community providing consequences for lovely speech is not censorship hth

People with the worst opinions on everything conveniently forget this when people call them out for being idiots too.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The 1st amendment doesn't mean peoole cant be mean to you for your lovely ideas Jesus christ lmao.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

oh boy the landlord thread is back hopefully this time it won't turn into a bunch of bourgie fucks talking about how to discrimi-

Something Offal posted:

oh. welp :v:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 24, 2019

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

looking forward to the new thread if this is the level of discourse. what is your definition of housing assistance, and why do you believe a landlord should have a say in who is allowed a roof over their head?

This is slightly out of scope for this thread but I'll answer because I think it's a discussion worth having. My definition of housing assistance would be whatever the current version is provided by fed, state, local govts. I'm not well-read enough on it to have, like, an ideal state or alternative definition that the current status quo doesn't hit.

I think a landlord should have some say in determining which applicants they'd like to offer a lease. The world is a big complex place so the decision on whether to offer a lease can have myriad factors. Obviously, one should not be able to use 'protected classes' to influence that decision, unfortunately there will always be bad actors who will find ways around even protected class laws to be assholes.

Whether you agree or disagree, those with Section 8 or criminal records aren't a protected class in many states and localities, so I think a landlord should be allowed to use anything they want outside of protected classes or anything else that would be illegal to consider. Now, you might think it's in bad taste or being a jerk, and I may too, but there's a very important difference between objectionable and illegal.

Not only is censorship of ideas a slippery slope but I also wouldn't want to legislate a million protected classes, like student status for example. I think a landlord should probably be allowed to target maybe non-undergrads if that's how they feel -- hopefully they aren't jerks about it and make it clear in the ad. Nothing stopping the applicant from lying about it, though.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i dont think people should do racist things i just think people should be able to share their tips on how to do racist things with each other

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Is this the place to discuss vacation rentals?

My wife's family has frequented a vacation spot for basically the last 30 years, and since I've joined the family I've been a part of that now and I quite like the area.

The idea here is to see what sort of costs we'd be looking at to own a place in a reasonably popular vacation spot and rent it out, with the perk of having a place to stay (yes, I know there are tax implications to using a vacation property for personal use).

I guess the two biggest questions are: what costs do we need to consider, and where do you even begin to put numbers on things like insurance, maintenance, occupancy rates, etc. for a general area without having a specific property in mind? Obviously there's going to be property taxes, probably HOA fees, and all the other normal stuff that goes in to a house, but I don't know all the things that go in to a rental property.

This wouldn't be a get rich quick scheme, or even a get rich slowly scheme. Just trying to see where to start the calculations to find out where the costs end up being.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Johnny Truant posted:

"censorship of ideas is a slippery slope"
"i think we should be able to discriminated against people so we don't have to provide them a necessary human right"

reallllllllllly hope the guillotines are televised cause I will tune in to yours

:patriot:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Something Offal posted:

Not only is censorship of ideas a slippery slope

:laffo:

It's not "censorship of ideas" to ask the mods that a thread all about how to profitably cause harm to people be loving killed. Apparently the BFC mods disagree, and want to have this thread still exist for reasons, even though it is literally a thread to game theory plan the best way to gently caress with your tenants.

If we had a thread called "Best tips on how to steal money from poor people" or "Let's chat about the wonderful world of organizing Bum Fights!" I would want those thread killed too. The forums don't allow piracy chat, but you can talk about how to gently caress with your actual tenants whose shelter you hold over them all day long.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Is it ok to build a separate entrance for the poors living in my building? I know I have to let them in but I don’t want them to be seen by the real residents.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Kaysette posted:

Is it ok to build a separate entrance for the poors living in my building? I know I have to let them in but I don’t want them to be seen by the real residents.

human beings have a right to property values not being lowered by proximity to the underclass

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I don't know, maybe take it up with a society that hasn't determined property rights to be as inalienable as life and liberty.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Something Offal posted:

This is slightly out of scope for this thread but I'll answer because I think it's a discussion worth having. My definition of housing assistance would be whatever the current version is provided by fed, state, local govts. I'm not well-read enough on it to have, like, an ideal state or alternative definition that the current status quo doesn't hit.

I think a landlord should have some say in determining which applicants they'd like to offer a lease. The world is a big complex place so the decision on whether to offer a lease can have myriad factors. Obviously, one should not be able to use 'protected classes' to influence that decision, unfortunately there will always be bad actors who will find ways around even protected class laws to be assholes.

Whether you agree or disagree, those with Section 8 or criminal records aren't a protected class in many states and localities, so I think a landlord should be allowed to use anything they want outside of protected classes or anything else that would be illegal to consider. Now, you might think it's in bad taste or being a jerk, and I may too, but there's a very important difference between objectionable and illegal.

Not only is censorship of ideas a slippery slope but I also wouldn't want to legislate a million protected classes, like student status for example. I think a landlord should probably be allowed to target maybe non-undergrads if that's how they feel -- hopefully they aren't jerks about it and make it clear in the ad. Nothing stopping the applicant from lying about it, though.
i don't see why it is out of scope of the thread - if you're a landlord you need to know the regulations that exist to protect everyone in the business relationship. to that end it is interesting that you don't talk about the assistance in practice but vaguely point at it, without defining if you mean statutory protections, direct government financial aid, or third-sector help. sure there are regions where no formal protections exist - but that's a failing of that locale, and not an example that everyone should strive towards and encourage just because it's technically legal in that jurisdiction. if you want that to be the mantra of a potential new thread, think through the culture it'd foster.

if you believe that regulations are a slippery slope then get involved in the open consultations when government formalise these decisions. they aren't all made behind closed doors, for example in my country here are previous consultations that would impact a landlord:

Consultation on the Law of Succession 2019
Delivering improved transparency in land ownership in Scotland: Consultation on draft regulations
Building Standards Compliance and Fire Safety – a consultation on making Scotland’s buildings safer for people
Scottish Building Regulations: Review of Energy Standards: ‘Call for Evidence’

in each you can view publicised responses by individuals, or organisations on how they perceive each problem. if you're so concerned over slippery slopes then join in the formal conversations, everyone will enjoy you making a case for landlords having an absolute say on not having those people living in their area.

DaveSauce posted:

Is this the place to discuss vacation rentals?

My wife's family has frequented a vacation spot for basically the last 30 years, and since I've joined the family I've been a part of that now and I quite like the area.

The idea here is to see what sort of costs we'd be looking at to own a place in a reasonably popular vacation spot and rent it out, with the perk of having a place to stay (yes, I know there are tax implications to using a vacation property for personal use).

I guess the two biggest questions are: what costs do we need to consider, and where do you even begin to put numbers on things like insurance, maintenance, occupancy rates, etc. for a general area without having a specific property in mind? Obviously there's going to be property taxes, probably HOA fees, and all the other normal stuff that goes in to a house, but I don't know all the things that go in to a rental property.

This wouldn't be a get rich quick scheme, or even a get rich slowly scheme. Just trying to see where to start the calculations to find out where the costs end up being.
when you say rent it out, i presume you mean for holidays and not a longer-term tenant? either way you'd be looking at the financials as a homeowner and then adding in the landlord requirements on top, the best case would be solely family/friends using it as a vacation spot and you knowing someone who lives nearby to keep a vague eye on it. if you're talking a longer-term tenant then would you be happy with someone telling you to move out for 2 weeks once/twice a year so they could use it for their holiday? it'd factor into the price a lot and you have to account for vetting tenants given the unsupervised nature of you being in a different country and how you'd react to emergency repairs of all nature

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I don't know, maybe take it up with a society that hasn't determined property rights to be as inalienable as life and liberty.

please make this the new thread name and then gas the entire thread

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

whatis posted:

please make this the new thread name and then gas the entire thread

only if we can gas the racist opinions along with them :v:

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Something Offal posted:

Who cares what's illegal? there are plenty of things that aren't illegal but that we should probably not have threads to help each other do! Like being a huge rear end in a top hat, or a landlord, or murdering black people if they look at you funny in arkansas. Who Cares what's illegal or what isn't?
Also, no, landlords should have litterally no say in who they lease to because landlords should not exist and the fact that they do is a crime against all humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Getting probed for shitposting in the landlord thread is praxis