Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

iospace posted:

Bitcoin is why I went with a new card instead of buying used.

You’d have likely been fine if you went Nvidia, because the digital signature for flashing firmwares on Pascal hasn’t been broken. Miners typically undervolt their cards, the real problem is AMD cards get flashed with wack rear end firmwares that often aren’t replaced with a stock one by the time they’re sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Craptacular! posted:

Yeah, I keep hearing that “1440p means buy a 1080ti” but I’m doing okay with a 1070 running on less than ultra settings. Admittedly, most of my games are live service games from 2016 and 2017. I don’t see anything screaming upgrade until Cyberpunk. I know Doom Eternal will be incredibly optimized because Doom 2016 was.

Yeah, honestly that's flawed. It's more like "1440p *Ultrawide*, buy a 1080Ti -or- 2080." Or a 2070S or 2080S, when they come out. For 16:9 1440p, you'll likely be more than fine with a 2070S, simply because we can't really be sure what the performance delta will be between a 2060S and 1070/1070Ti yet.

I'm planning on running my 3418DW into the goddamned *ground*, and I'm pretty sure my "OG" 2080 FTW3 will feed it for the next few years without issue or gripe.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
1080Ti and AW3418DW crew and it is the absolute own zone. Jelly of your 2080 tho, i have a 2060 in my new laptop and was playing with the Q2 RTX tech demo and man, I can't wait for a generation or two from now..

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I still think a 2070S will be my next card for my 1440p usage. But I think the last game I bought was PayDay2, so not quite sure *why*. Might've been Stellaris, actually. But either way...

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

surf rock posted:

I liked the breakdown that someone in the PC building thread used for thinking about a couple of GPUs. I wanted to try to expand on it a bit:

If you want ultra presets on 1080p/60 FPS: GTX 1660 Ti or RTX 2060

If you want ultra presets on 1440p/60 FPS: Radeon VII or GTX 1080 Ti or RTX 2070 (or RTX 2060 Super, if the rumors are true)

I'm guessing that the equivalent for 4k would be RTX 2080 Ti (or RTX 2080 Super, if the rumors are true). I haven't been able to figure out whether the vanilla RTX 2080 or the rumored RTX 2070 Super would be up to that.

It seems like you can get the 1080p performance level most cheaply for $270, the 1440p performance level most cheaply for another couple hundred at $460, and then you take out a second mortgage for the 4k performance level.

From the last page but I feel like for a lot of games even a 2080ti won't be enough for 4k/60-100hz. As always it's about how much AA you want to run but I guess we'll see. I hope a decent 4k 100-120hz monitor comes out before cyberpunk 2077.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

ItBreathes posted:

Why should X coin be the new hot thing where Y coin failed, given that they're built on the same premise?

Imagine if someone starts up a bitcoin based solely on the premise of marketing how it's cooler/more fashionable/safer/etc., whether true or not...

"omg u mine DOGE?? like, that was sooo 2015 bruh. i mine DIAMONPLAT :smugbert:"
*links to expertly produced youtube ad and merch store*

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 23, 2019

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
With enough AA anything can run bad. I wasn't paying attention and I set a source port of Doom to 64x AA and it ran in the single digits. Conversely, if you don't like how AA looks you can run a lower end card faster.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
10,712.10. Are we seriously doing this again? really??? :regd08:

Goddamnit you loving lobertarian assholes can you not gently caress up another 5 years of GPU production?

:lol:

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
10,000 seems like it doesn't matter for people paying for their electricity. 2 years ago at 20,000 dollars you could make about 20 dollars a week against costing about a dollar per day in electricity with a 1080. It's surely slowed down now so you'd need it to be worth even more to cover your electrical costs.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
he'll yeah amd + nvidia stock goin UPPP

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Are GPUs still profitable though? I figured the ASICs have taken over by now. No way I'm mining in the summer with my GPU battling my air conditioner anyway.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
GPUs are not profitable for bitcoin, but when bitcoin is strong, crypto in general is strong, and it becomes profitable to mine other crypto on GPUs.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I fired up nicehash just because I was curious, it's definitely profitable ($0.80/day on my 1060 vs $0.20 power cost) but not really enough to be worth it for me, at one point this card did like $4 a day.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

MaxxBot posted:

I fired up nicehash just because I was curious, it's definitely profitable ($0.80/day on my 1060 vs $0.20 power cost) but not really enough to be worth it for me, at one point this card did like $4 a day.

Nicehash is telling my 2080ti can pull about $2.30 a day. Absolutely not worth buying a 2080ti to on,y mine but might be fine if you own one for gaming and let it run when not using it.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

B-Mac posted:

might be fine if you own one for gaming and let it run when not using it.

you shut the gently caress up

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm always confused when there is no discussion of a minimum amount of profit to be needed to overcome the negative morality of wasting energy like that. Shouldn't the payoff be worded as like 'I could make xxx per day after electricity but it's not enough to make me feel good about the amount of energy I'd be wasting so I'm not going to bother"?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

B-Mac posted:

Nicehash is telling my 2080ti can pull about $2.30 a day. Absolutely not worth buying a 2080ti to on,y mine but might be fine if you own one for gaming and let it run when not using it.

Even already owning one that's not worth it. Less than 10 cents an hour to perpetuate a currency that wastes an abhorrent amount of energy generating more carbon emissions.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

VelociBacon posted:

I'm always confused when there is no discussion of a minimum amount of profit to be needed to overcome the negative morality of wasting energy like that. Shouldn't the payoff be worded as like 'I could make xxx per day after electricity but it's not enough to make me feel good about the amount of energy I'd be wasting so I'm not going to bother"?

Because I don’t run it all the time, $2/day is the threshold for me personally. It’s money from something I had already anyway, that I don’t have to audition before someone to get.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

A GPU using mostly RAM to hash isn't going to melt the planet, you're fine

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
No one thing is, you could also say that about a tire fire a mile high.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

Cryptocurrency mining globally uses electricity somewhere on the scale of Belgium. It's... not fine.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Amazon refurb GPU sale happening today

https://www.amazon.com/s?hidden-key...5_4142_55c38f5f

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

7 million houses can be powered by the power consumption just for bitcoin, not to mention all of the other shitcoins. But you're helping hash for ransomware and money laundering, so it's for a good cause.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I like how the 3 cards I see (1070Ti and 2 1080Ti's) are all discounted from way above their MSRP to their sale price of, around MSRP for 2 years ago.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Inept posted:

7 million houses can be powered by the power consumption just for bitcoin, not to mention all of the other shitcoins. But you're helping hash for ransomware and money laundering, so it's for a good cause.

On the flip side, In places like Venezuela, mining Crypto or gold farming in WoW is some of the only ways to make enough money to buy food.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

EdEddnEddy posted:

I like how the 3 cards I see (1070Ti and 2 1080Ti's) are all discounted from way above their MSRP to their sale price of, around MSRP for 2 years ago.

My thoughts exactly...refurb 1080Ti for $700-750? Hard pass

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

EdEddnEddy posted:

On the flip side, In places like Venezuela, mining Crypto or gold farming in WoW is some of the only ways to make enough money to buy food.

Yeah I'm making the leap here in assuming that people posting in SH/SC aren't starving Venezuelans with 1080TIs

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

EdEddnEddy posted:

If you want to help the Venezuelans you should be buying the butts they're mining instead of competing directly against them and driving up the difficulty.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
I need some form of confirmation that we're talking about fair trade butts here.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

780Ti is still going surprisingly strong in many titles but I had the upgrade itch at last. Got an EVGA 2060 SC Ultra Gaming, which doesn't have a boost clock as high out the box as their XC Ultra but it's close and seems like it should be a great performance boost for my comp. Going to be cool to update my video drivers for the first time in years.

I used to stay on top of all this stuff, felt weirdly unfamiliar with the various technologies and product types offered by EVGA now, and nearly went with the 1660Ti. But the 2060 seems to beat it at everything and they were close in price. :shrug:

Is their new raytracing like PhysX where studios don't implement it without substantial influence from nV because it's proprietary? Anyone think I boned up getting the 2060? Don't plan on gaming higher than 1080p but I like eye candy and AA.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

hell yeah, maybe this will push nv/amd to finally support integer scaling

https://twitter.com/gfxlisa/status/1143163786783707136

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

repiv posted:

hell yeah, maybe this will push nv/amd to finally support integer scaling

https://twitter.com/gfxlisa/status/1143163786783707136

What does she mean by Gen 9 versus Gen 11? That can't be 9000k versus 11000k series processors, I don't think.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Probably referring to iGPU generation. The iGPU started numbering back in like Conroe or something so it's numbered ahead of the CPU core generation (which started with Nehalem).

The iGPU has been stuck for a while because all the future iterations were designed on 10nm, so they are going to "skip" a couple generations here iirc.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Arivia posted:

What does she mean by Gen 9 versus Gen 11? That can't be 9000k versus 11000k series processors, I don't think.

Gen 9 = Skylake/Kaby Lake/Coffee Lake, Gen 11 = Ice Lake. (Gen 10 was the cancelled Cannon Lake.)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Probably referring to iGPU generation. The iGPU started numbering back in like Conroe or something so it's numbered ahead of the CPU core generation (which started with Nehalem).

The iGPU has been stuck for a while because all the future iterations were designed on 10nm, so they are going to "skip" a couple generations here iirc.

Yeah, Gen9 is the iGPU used in Skylake through Coffeelake, Gen10 is used on Cannonlake, and Gen11 will be used on Icelake and their Xe discrete GPUs.

e;fb

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Agreed posted:

780Ti is still going surprisingly strong in many titles but I had the upgrade itch at last. Got an EVGA 2060 SC Ultra Gaming, which doesn't have a boost clock as high out the box as their XC Ultra but it's close and seems like it should be a great performance boost for my comp. Going to be cool to update my video drivers for the first time in years.

Not sure exactly why but the GK110 (780/780 Ti/Titan) seem to have aged better than the other Keplers, it seems like the gap between them and the lower chips is widening. It's still not fantastic but the 780/780 Ti are only somewhat bad while the 770/680/etc really fell off hard. Not sure if it's ROPs or memory bandwidth or what.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 24, 2019

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Arivia posted:

Intel's IGP generations aren't in lockstep with their CPU generations. Gen 9 is Skylake through Coffee Lake Refresh. 10th Gen was on Cannonlake (which more or less is gonna get skipped) , and 11th is in the Sunny Cove parts (so Ice Lake and on)

e: beaten nearly word for word twice, dang!

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

the other cool thing about bitcoin is that the people who have the most of it were the ones using it to sell CP and drugs, so people jumping on and increasing the value has probably made a few CP multimillionaires.

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

I've still got a GTX970 and will be really annoyed if they do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I don't get why Bitcoin is going up. Why? What is it good for besides money laundering, cartels, human/drug trafficking, and helping China make buttloads of money?