Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

DrNutt posted:

Over twenty years later and I still don't know wtf is up with Shadow's ending. Does homey seriously just lay down and let himself get killed in a collapsing tower?

I saw it as him killing "Shadow" so that he could go back to being who he was before maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

OhFunny posted:

I the only mod I need for FFVIIR is Barret No Sunglasses Mod.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

OhFunny posted:

what the gently caress

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Booourns posted:

I saw it as him killing "Shadow" so that he could go back to being who he was before maybe?

Yeah that was the take I had back in 1996 when I was writing FF6 fan fiction, now I'm not sure.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I've always seen it as him killing himself through inaction. Doesn't seem too happy with who he's become and Interceptor runs off with Relm to protect her, no?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Daaymm:eyepop:

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

seiferguy posted:

Lucrecia gave Sephiroth up for experimentation, in which he was injected with Jenova cells.

Even worse, Hojo had Sephiroth injected with Jenova cells while STILL IN LUCRECIA'S WOMB.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

OhFunny posted:

Giant marshmallow.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Dell_Zincht posted:

Even worse, Hojo had Sephiroth injected with Jenova cells while STILL IN LUCRECIA'S WOMB.
I mean, it seemed to work better than doing it in materia crystalization chambers.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

OhFunny posted:

I the only mod I need for FFVIIR is Barret No Sunglasses Mod. X Gonna Give it to Ya and thong mod.

:hai:

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I better still be able to go on a Gold Saucer date with Barrett in the remake

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I better still be able to go on a Gold Saucer date with Barrett in the remake

If part 2 or 3 or ever exists sure

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Barudak posted:

If part 2 or 3 or ever exists sure

Barring an unforeseen nuclear world war there is blatantly going to be follow-ups to Midgar, this game is going to sell ludicrous amounts. People who played it at E3 said the gameplay is really, really good. It's Square's success to lose.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Barring an unforeseen nuclear world war there is blatantly going to be follow-ups to Midgar, this game is going to sell ludicrous amounts. People who played it at E3 said the gameplay is really, really good. It's Square's success to lose.

While in an abstract I agree <gesticulates wildly at every mainline final fantasy product since FF12>

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The hilarious part is this gameplay was the gameplay Nomura talked about wanting with Versus XIII. Like from hearing Max talked about things shown during the Secret Demo, a shitload sounds pretty much exactly how Nomura was describing Versus would play.

And the game has the combat designer from KH2, Mitsunori Takahashi, who was originally working on Versus as well but did not work on XV (And didn't work on KH3, which I feel is important to acknowledge)

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

:swoon:

They didn't have to upres him into such a fuckin' hunk but here we are

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Barudak posted:

While in an abstract I agree <gesticulates wildly at every mainline final fantasy product since FF12>

This but FF8.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Anyone have advice for how to break FFTA2? I've had the game for many years and played through maybe halfway several times but I always trailed off.

I'm in the mood for a SRPG though, and I'm playing on an emulator with turbo to speed things along. I've always felt combat moved very slow and attacks were fairly wimpy, so without having to scour guides, any protips on what to hone in on, trap classes, whatever will help me cruise through the game would be helpful.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Scoss posted:

Anyone have advice for how to break FFTA2? I've had the game for many years and played through maybe halfway several times but I always trailed off.

I'm in the mood for a SRPG though, and I'm playing on an emulator with turbo to speed things along. I've always felt combat moved very slow and attacks were fairly wimpy, so without having to scour guides, any protips on what to hone in on, trap classes, whatever will help me cruise through the game would be helpful.

From what I remember (it's been years), the key to breaking FFTA2 was to just completely abuse the auction houses, which will get you equipment far beyond what the stores are capable of selling.

Strong job combinations iirc involved learning Blood Price from Viera Spell Fencer (allows you to cast from HP), then combining that with Dualcast Summons.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm pretty sure reverse item (or whatever it's called in that game) is extremely broken. It's seeq exclusive which makes any seeq at least pretty good once you can get it.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
It's broken in the early game, but it definitely evens out later on. You reach a point where 300 damage just isn't worth writing home about.

Other good combos include a Viera Assassin with a bow and the Spellblade's abilities, which lets you do excellent damage and status effects from a distance.

Gria Ravager is great all on its own, since Sneak Attack is incredibly overpowered.

Dual Wield Paladin returns as a great choice for Humes, but special mention goes to Illusionist with the Seer's Magic Frenzy, which lets you score a magic attack and a follow up physical attack on the entire field. Pump your Attack stat and you'll crush entire armies before they can reach you.

Gunner/Moogle Knight is still the best combo for moogles if you want pure damage, since Ultima Blow at that range can't be beat.

Bangaa want Master Monk with Discipline (for physical) or Trickster with Bishop's abilities (for magic). Both are shockingly speedy, though the Monk unquestionably does better damage.

Seeq have Ranger, which is about all they're good for. Give them Lanista's abilities as secondary if you want a poor knockoff of the Viera's Assassin.

And Nu Mou are bad. No speed kinda shoots them in the foot the way it did in TA for Bangaa, and their only worthwhile strategy is equipping your whole team with element-absorbing gear and spamming the Scholar's field-wide spells.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I had a lot of fun with Seer’s Magick Frenzy in general. It’s good on Adelle too.

It’s worth noting that characters get different stat ups depending on their job, so if you want somebody to be a physical fighter long term you probably don’t want them hanging out in a magic class for too much time.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
OK I remembered what annoyed me about FFTA2. Even in the early game there are enemies that can charm or confuse your nerds and make them accidentally break laws. It's only happened twice so far but ugh.

Still an awesome game though. I forgot how polished it is.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Alright, so I started on FFXIII-2 yesterday. I'm about 3-ish hours in. FFXIII was a little underwhelming and a lot confusing, but I eventually grew to like the characters despite themselves, and that battle system was fun as hell.

Some FFXIII-2 initial thoughts:

They really, really, really don't want you to be bored playing this game. QTEs! You're playing during big set pieces! Dialogue options! Absolutely enormous bosses! This is definitely not "go down a hallway forever and all the cool stuff happens in a cinematic". They even have a "Previously on FFXIII-2" cinematic when you boot up the game which is...okay so far.

I love the look of Valhalla. LOVE IT. Something about it reminds me of a renaissance painting or Italian coastal town. Too bad I probably won't see it until the end of the game. I kind of hope there's a section where you walk around it or learn more about it.

It's a happier game. In FFXIII all the characters were dour and lame until near the end, but so far characters actually want to talk, and use their voices to not complain. Thankfully. Noel has a chip on his shoulder, but at least he'll fully answer your question. I don't like how he looks like the Kingdom Hearts guy, though.

Time travel wonkiness is my catnip so I'm already invested in the storytelling and the mechanics of it, but I don't know how I feel about the Pokemon/collect monsters thing yet. I kind of just want a third party member. I don't want to level up poorly designed whatcha-ma-callits I don't care about.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Time travel wonkiness is my catnip so I'm already invested in the storytelling and the mechanics of it, but I don't know how I feel about the Pokemon/collect monsters thing yet. I kind of just want a third party member. I don't want to level up poorly designed whatcha-ma-callits I don't care about.

you can have a tonberry with terminator shades in your party

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Oxxidation posted:

"I need your book, your lamp, and your sandals."

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Yeah that's nice, but that third slot can also be Lightning. Or a different Lightning. Or uh,... Jihl Nabaat. Come on guys you all remember Jihl Nabaat right? She does that one thing one time? And uh, I think maybe she dies at some point?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Saint Freak posted:

Yeah that's nice, but that third slot can also be Lightning. Or a different Lightning. Or uh,... Jihl Nabaat. Come on guys you all remember Jihl Nabaat right? She does that one thing one time? And uh, I think maybe she dies at some point?

Otherwise known as, "the woman with the ludicrously tiny tie wedged between her tits."

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

XII seems at its best when you're doing optional content 10 levels underleveled. I just dungeon crawled through nabudis and it was tough as hell but so satisfying. Every fight could end in game over if I let it. I got to actually make use of tactics such as immobilising enemies and kiting the rest. In fact i couldn't even make it through the front door without doing that.

When you're equally leveled for the area it really just turns into running your gambit meatgrinder from one encounter to the next while you might as well be reading a book with your other hand. That's satisfying to a point since you did set up said meatgrinder all by yourself, but the combat can be so much more.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Amppelix posted:

XII seems at its best when you're doing optional content 10 levels underleveled. I just dungeon crawled through nabudis and it was tough as hell but so satisfying. Every fight could end in game over if I let it. I got to actually make use of tactics such as immobilising enemies and kiting the rest. In fact i couldn't even make it through the front door without doing that.

When you're equally leveled for the area it really just turns into running your gambit meatgrinder from one encounter to the next while you might as well be reading a book with your other hand. That's satisfying to a point since you did set up said meatgrinder all by yourself, but the combat can be so much more.

Absolutely this. Exploring and doing hunts that you're way underleveled for results in some extremely enjoyable fights. That's the way I always play, and why it's one of my favorites. And why people saying "you don't have to pay any attention to anything" confuse me, because if you do a lot of the optional content as soon as you can access it you'll get your butt kicked without careful play.

Edit: This is mostly in regards to Vanilla. I'm sure the Zodiac Age version makes things a bit easier.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Barely managing to pull off a win against Gilgamesh with the frantic, panicked use of a scathe mote with 5/6 party members ko'd was a very memorable part of my last playthrough.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Try doing trial mode underleveled like me. Omega was a battle of attrition and I beat the Judges by abusing Zeromus and Zodiark summons and bunch of elixirs

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

OK I remembered what annoyed me about FFTA2. Even in the early game there are enemies that can charm or confuse your nerds and make them accidentally break laws. It's only happened twice so far but ugh.

Still an awesome game though. I forgot how polished it is.

fortunately breaking the law isn't nearly as big of a deal in ffta2, and you probably don't have any of the good judge benefits yet anyway

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

WaltherFeng posted:

Try doing trial mode underleveled like me. Omega was a battle of attrition and I beat the Judges by abusing Zeromus and Zodiark summons and bunch of elixirs

My plan for trial mode is to be insanely overleveled and after eating a poo poo load of edibles.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

Edit: This is mostly in regards to Vanilla. I'm sure the Zodiac Age version makes things a bit easier.
I don't really have a point of comparison but i imagine not really? X4 speed certainly makes it convenient to grind through the easy areas, but otherwise it seems like the restrictions of a class system should make the game a bit harder if anything.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Looper posted:

fortunately breaking the law isn't nearly as big of a deal in ffta2, and you probably don't have any of the good judge benefits yet anyway

When you're just starting out you need all the help you can get and the rewards for obeying the laws are usually gear and bazaar goods so it's worth it most of the time.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Amppelix posted:

I don't really have a point of comparison but i imagine not really? X4 speed certainly makes it convenient to grind through the easy areas, but otherwise it seems like the restrictions of a class system should make the game a bit harder if anything.

Nah, jobs are actually a lot stronger than your vanilla board. Mainly because they added a lot of HP nodes licenses to melee jobs.

Plus you get access to much wider variety of equipment sooner.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Amppelix posted:

I played the patched IZJS version, and yeah, it was easier than Vanilla. Like, you can't do everything with everyone, but everyone is better at their jobs than they could be in Vanilla. Attackers get more Attack licenses and HP licenses, mages get more magic licenses, etc. Access to two jobs probably only makes it even easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The IZJS/ZA versions definitely have an easier progression curve since the condensed boards mean it take less LP to rush to the good licenses. Having two jobs also helps but its not as OP as you might think at first glance since the license boards share nodes so you aren't doubling up on attack, hp, etc.