Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Hey, my friend lost their job due to a panic attack. They gave their landlord a heads up so they would work out how to pay rent while they're job searching and the landlord is just evicting them instead. Anyone got good advice on how to keep them from becoming homeless and peg that leech to the wall? They live in Maine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Gumball Gumption posted:

Hey, my friend lost their job due to a panic attack. They gave their landlord a heads up so they would work out how to pay rent while they're job searching and the landlord is just evicting them instead. Anyone got good advice on how to keep them from becoming homeless and peg that leech to the wall? They live in Maine.
have they missed a rent payment already, and are they likely to miss the next one? presumably they have a written lease with termination clauses - would they be happy sharing them? glancing around with maine they have to specify the termination reason, but if they've already missed a payment and the landlord isn't complying with good faith repayment plans the situation doesn't look good

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Evictions take a very long time in the court system so hopefully Maine has that going for it. Is it a rent controlled property?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

have they missed a rent payment already, and are they likely to miss the next one? presumably they have a written lease with termination clauses - would they be happy sharing them? glancing around with maine they have to specify the termination reason, but if they've already missed a payment and the landlord isn't complying with good faith repayment plans the situation doesn't look good

Nope, they have not missed one yet. I don't know the lease terms but my understanding is that they warned ahead of time that they wouldn't be able to make rent for July and the landlord said he was going to start drafting the eviction notice instead of any sort of repayment plan. I don't believe it's rent controlled.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Tashilicious posted:

Getting probed for shitposting in the landlord thread is praxis

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

looking at maine's model landlord-tenant lease the eviction process has strict guidelines that should help: https://www.maine.gov/ag/consumer/law_guide_article.shtml?id=27935

there's a breakdown further into the document outlying the intent of each section and how it reflects the legal framework.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Nope, they have not missed one yet. I don't know the lease terms but my understanding is that they warned ahead of time that they wouldn't be able to make rent for July and the landlord said he was going to start drafting the eviction notice instead of any sort of repayment plan. I don't believe it's rent controlled.
they'll have at least 30 days from the date of the formal eviction letter, check the doc. the landlord could just be bluffing at the moment and trying to pressure the tenant into proving they have income sooner - not a healthy relationship

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Eviction rules are completely different and vastly more favorable to tenants on housing old enough to be rent controlled, which is why it would matter if it is or not

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

there's a lot more useful advice in here: https://www.maine.gov/ag/dynld/documents/clg14.pdf

src: https://www.courts.maine.gov/maine_courts/district/evictions.html

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Cool, I also found some good Maine resources that outlined the process and how going to court works. I think I'm going to encourage them to let it go to court if only because it will give them more time in their current place while they try to figure out something new. It also looks like if they can get the money together by the 14th they would be able to stay, I know Maine requires 7 days past due before notice can be given and if they go with a 7 day notice it becomes void if the rent is payed in those 7 days. You guys at least made me feel better about the advice I'm giving them and what I've been finding online.

Edit: Getting banned for making GBS threads in the landlord thread is good praxis but so is taking it over for advice on how to dodge landlords.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 24, 2019

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

when you say rent it out, i presume you mean for holidays and not a longer-term tenant? either way you'd be looking at the financials as a homeowner and then adding in the landlord requirements on top, the best case would be solely family/friends using it as a vacation spot and you knowing someone who lives nearby to keep a vague eye on it. if you're talking a longer-term tenant then would you be happy with someone telling you to move out for 2 weeks once/twice a year so they could use it for their holiday? it'd factor into the price a lot and you have to account for vetting tenants given the unsupervised nature of you being in a different country and how you'd react to emergency repairs of all nature

I'm talking full blown vacation rental, so most guests would be 1-week rentals, and the off-season would be mostly weekends. We don't have enough time off from work to really be able to take more than a week there per year, so the idea would be that rentals would subsidize our ownership.

Prices in the area are so high we wouldn't be able to afford it otherwise, but at the same time it's a popular enough area where the summer season gets booked up pretty solid for most properties in the area. I haven't dug in enough to REALLY know the occupancy rates, though, which is why I'm asking for advice on how to get a good estimate for that and other costs. My bet is that we'd take a loss on it on average, but if that loss was less than $500/mo over any given year I would seriously consider it. Less than $200/mo and it'd basically pay for itself in that we could rent it for "free."

So most likely scenario is we'd use a management company that covers most of the basics in exchange for a big chunk of the rental fee. In our experience as guests, the agency covers booking, payment, emergency maintenance, cleaning, linens, etc. I want to say they take like 30-50%, but this is a guess based on random things I've read online.

Also it's not a different country. It's still in the US and it's less than a 3 hour drive for us. We'd most likely go through a management agency, which would handle maintenance and whatnot.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

DaveSauce posted:

I'm talking full blown vacation rental, so most guests would be 1-week rentals, and the off-season would be mostly weekends. We don't have enough time off from work to really be able to take more than a week there per year, so the idea would be that rentals would subsidize our ownership.

Prices in the area are so high we wouldn't be able to afford it otherwise, but at the same time it's a popular enough area where the summer season gets booked up pretty solid for most properties in the area. I haven't dug in enough to REALLY know the occupancy rates, though, which is why I'm asking for advice on how to get a good estimate for that and other costs. My bet is that we'd take a loss on it on average, but if that loss was less than $500/mo over any given year I would seriously consider it. Less than $200/mo and it'd basically pay for itself in that we could rent it for "free."

So most likely scenario is we'd use a management company that covers most of the basics in exchange for a big chunk of the rental fee. In our experience as guests, the agency covers booking, payment, emergency maintenance, cleaning, linens, etc. I want to say they take like 30-50%, but this is a guess based on random things I've read online.

Also it's not a different country. It's still in the US and it's less than a 3 hour drive for us. We'd most likely go through a management agency, which would handle maintenance and whatnot.

My understanding of owning vacation property is that it almost never works out to your favor to attempt this. When it works out it's because you've successfully speculated on an appreciating asset. When it fails to work out, (even if the asset appreciates) it's because your cash flow could be working so many other places (including but not limited to real estate investing, if you insist) and is losing out servicing an asset with tremendously variable occupancy, high associated costs, high volatility, high exposure to climate change, etc.

And good luck selling that albatross if you decide you don't want to vacation there anymore.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 24, 2019

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i've only seen examples involving having friends/family staying, and even then it was break-even. bringing in a third party to manage it all and add in unknown tenants if you've never done it before sounds eventful

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

Tashilicious posted:

Getting probed for shitposting in the landlord thread is praxis

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

hi mod what did you expect to happen if you just reopened this thread without any sort of rules about discussing the exact kind of shitheaded leechery that got it locked previously? or was the only problem with this thread that people got mad about the posters conspiring to enrich themselves illicitly at the expense of those dependent on their goodwill. because you sure as hell didn't probate the guy saying "even implying that I shouldn't discriminate against the poor is censorship" despite that being 100% an rear end in a top hat take.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
It got locked for being brigaded and that being a pain in the rear end. It has its rules on not discussing anything illegal. Anything beyond that, you're just going to have to deal with it existing.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

where's the line between posters expressing a shared opinion and a brigade? is it the assumption that they're all collaborating behind the scenes?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Rated PG-34 posted:

the landlord thread is back :hellyeah:

Kobayashi posted:

The landlord thread is back, why they didn’t just create a new one instead of the thread everyone has bookmarked, I have no idea.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

The instant massacre of all CSPAM opinions via probations has started and we're kind of helpless to do anything about the lovely mod, but people are flooding into the thread to ask tenant protection questions instead, which is wonderful

Moridin920 posted:

Well then they're going to just have to deal with it continually getting brigaded then lol

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Wow I literally edited that a second after I posted it you must just be F5ing over there.

The point was that if you locked the thread due to it being a pain in the rear end to moderate but then unlocked it without changing anything about why it was a pain in the rear end... then it is just going to be another pain in the rear end (as shown already given that you have to hand out numerous probations) and you've solved nothing for yourself.

The position of "it is legal so it is fine to talk about" is kind of silly anyway considering the rest of the subforums operate on "don't be a dick" just fine. Saying that people are free to discuss how to discriminate against the poor just because hey it isn't illegal is some lol poo poo and you can't be surprised if the response isn't good.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Weird how a thread where people can conspire to discriminate against marginalized people is perfectly fine. Great country, great forum. What’s next, a pro-TERF thread? A pro-KKK thread? Because landlords are scum of the earth of the same quality as those sorts, of that I assure you.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

There are programs that can help with this. Contact the city of portland home programs to get info on rent assistance if you are in the city. Apply for unemployment. Contact other rent assistance programs like religious charities

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

that's the part i don't get though, you're singling out 4 posters and acting like everyone was a part of a group. as a rundown on the probs since the thread was resurrected:

Crazycryodude is a poster in that thread
Johnny Truant... isn't
Pibur... isn't
Source4Leko... isn't
Syndlig... isn't
Tollymain... isn't
WampaLord is a poster in that thread
World War Mammories is a poster in that thread
Magnusth... isn't
Moridin920 is a poster in that thread

so minority were part of the 'brigade', and the last one was a couple of minutes ago over giving critique and nothing to do with yesterday. either way there hasn't been an attempt to improve the situation since last time, just rehash and hope to prob away any dissenting opinions. there was a lot of discussion leading up to this thread getting closed last time, but it doesn't look like any of it was listened to. there's plenty of behind the scene discussion amongst mods, but none of that seems to reach the users and the reaction now shows no attempt to come to reasonable moderation grounds.

with the 'only explicitly discussed illegal activity matters' line, you've just thrown more salt on the wound and are provoking the rest of the posters at this point. what is the long-term plan for this thread over than reopening old wounds?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

Wow I literally edited that a second after I posted it you must just be F5ing over there.

The point was that if you locked the thread due to it being a pain in the rear end to moderate but then unlocked it without changing anything about why it was a pain in the rear end... then it is just going to be another pain in the rear end (as shown already given that you have to hand out numerous probations) and you've solved nothing for yourself.

The position of "it is legal so it is fine to talk about" is kind of silly anyway considering the rest of the subforums operate on "don't be a dick" just fine. Saying that people are free to discuss how to discriminate against the poor just because hey it isn't illegal is some lol poo poo and you can't be surprised if the response isn't good.

Don't be a dick and generating a profit from owning housing are mutually exclusive.

Thanks for the unemployment advice, lamprey. I'm also digging into what rent assistance programs are available to them too.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Simpsons Reference posted:

It got locked for being brigaded and that being a pain in the rear end. It has its rules on not discussing anything illegal. Anything beyond that, you're just going to have to deal with it existing.

So to clarify, the only problem with this thread was that people got mad about the posters conspiring to enrich themselves illicitly at the expense of those dependent on their goodwill. Is that correct?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

If that's how you would like to interpret it, sure.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The response you're looking for is "yes"

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

You have to admit that's it's pretty unfair how it's illegal for people to own their own houses, forcing them to deal with crappy landlords

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

That's really hosed up. Do you feel this problem has been addressed?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Droo posted:

You have to admit that's it's pretty unfair how it's illegal for people to own their own houses, forcing them to deal with crappy landlords

Aww poo poo dude you figured it out. I'll let my friend know to just buy a house. No problem being unemployed if you just buy a house.

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

Gumball Gumption posted:

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

Aww poo poo dude you figured it out. I'll let my friend know to just buy a house. No problem being unemployed if you just buy a house.

In that case I suggest he find a job first, there are several helpful BFC threads geared towards that

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Droo posted:

In that case I suggest he find a job first, there are several helpful BFC threads geared towards that

Shh

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

Droo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT4vhl8slbE

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Droo posted:

Really she needs mental health help first, she's not in a place where she can hold down a job. But this is America so we'll see how that works out. But thanks for your made up empathy, I know its the only kind of empathy people like you can feel.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

goon: hey, discriminating against title 8 is legal in some places, you know, like how segregation used to be legal in some places
different goon: landlords are scum
mod: *busts down door to save the sanctity of ~legal discussion~*

how's that boot taste? must be nice, seeing as the first example here is clearly breaking "don't be a dick" and the second one is calling out a systemic issue that is problematic at best and actually life threatening at worst

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
It's me, the guy serving someone who lost their job due to an anxiety attack with a scary ultimatum. Watch my terrible behavior be defended in real time by people who have never been poor or on the wrong end of a court notice because it's not strictly illegal.

Usually you just toss out a sixer if you want someone to shush. I guess this is the sort of opinion you want people to spout in this thread?

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

For real though having a conversation about the abuse inherent in the landlord-tenant relationship is important. There seems to be this disconnect between the societal violence that landlords inflict on their tenants, especially when they're advocating for and participating in institutions and structures that are quasi-legal, and highly immoral, and the plucky Ur-Landlord that this thread tries to create. That one of the first posts after re-opening this falls perfectly in that category tells me that nothing good for humanity could come from this thread unless it explicitly becomes a "how do I gently caress over my landlord for being the amoral scumbag we all knew they truly were" thread.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Something Offal posted:

I'm a supporter of housing assistance in general, but Wiggly Wayne DDS you seem a bit insufferable. Landlords discriminating applications based on Section 8 status or criminal records is legal in some states and I don't think you should get to decide what is or is not 'acceptable discussion' on this here gay comedy forum. Sure if it's illegal I agree it should not be allowed in the thread, and there shouldn't be content that denigrates or attacks anybody, but other than that I don't see a need to censor people's opinions.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Hey mod, does it bother you that the only person speaking in defense of the way you're running the thread has multiple perma-bans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Hello fellow landlords, got a landlording question here.

Hypothetically if a monthly $1000 ubi were established tomorrow, how would you change the rent for your next leases? What if you knew your competitors were raising theirs by $900 with no loss of occupancy?

Thanks for answering my landlording question landlord buddies :)

*a gigantic wire & antenna is obviously bulging from the back of my collar*