Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

get a battery pack for your phone. gps works without signal.

download a map for offline use as well. google maps lets you do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
yeah your phone uses assisted gps. it’s just the normal gps from satellites + the known distance to the nearby cell towers.

the satellite (legacy) part works fine as long as you have the map downloaded to your phone. it’s just a little slower to update than assisted gps.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

echinopsis posted:

my dad stressing out about a gps unit for going off the beaten track and i’m sure it’s not a terrible idea although it literally is the beaten track. there will be many people and I think they’ve extended cell access to a bunch of it, huts at least. gps won’t save me falling into a 2” stream and drowning tho dad

I did the routeburn+greenstone and Kepler tracks a couple years back. I had brought a radio for the first and then didn't bother with it for the second. on the great walks there's enough people that you'll be found in like 5-10 minutes by the next group behind you if there's a problem.

it makes sense for a more obscure track where it's poorly marked and you're the only one there that day but for a great walk you're probably better off saving on the amount of weight you need to carry

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i ordered an inflatable kayak so I can hike it up to alpine lakes and up rivers to splash around

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
the satellite portion of gps is all you need and it works fine on your phone even with no cell towers in range, as long as you download the map first.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

PokeJoe posted:

i ordered an inflatable kayak so I can hike it up to alpine lakes and up rivers to splash around

been in one before? i still want a kayak for the local reservoir but i'm on <1yr left on my car lease, so buying roof racks now'd be a slight waste. inflatable one and a compressor might be needs suiting if it's sturdy

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I've never used an inflatable one before, but plenty of regular ones. I got the 2 person one that's like $70 on Amazon. It's got plenty of good reviews though and it's for my GF and I, who aren't very large people. There's YouTube's of lots of people taking them on rapids

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The goal is to cram it into an old backpacking backpack so we can get to otherwise inaccessible bodies of water

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I have an advanced elements inflatable kayak (either an advanceframe or advanceframe sport, I forget which) and while it is nice that it fits in the trunk it's not very good as a kayak. it takes several minutes to get rolled out and inflated, and then dried, deflated, and folded up again later. meanwhile its profile is so wide with the side air bladders that it ends up feeling really slow and inefficient compared to any regular hard shell. also they sell a spine bar that goes along the bottom from front to back as an "optional extra" but it's basically required because otherwise the boat ends up being floppy and listless (text me)

its been nice to have around as a spare but i recommend getting a basic plastic one if at all possible, or just renting one when you want one

but if you don't mind a slow kayak, it's worth pointing out that rei's standard exclusion of boats from their 20% off coupon doesn't apply to inflatable kayaks

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

oh also I'm 6'0 and I juuuust fit in that kayak, often with cramped legs/feet afterwards

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Progressive JPEG posted:

I have an advanced elements inflatable kayak (either an advanceframe or advanceframe sport, I forget which) and while it is nice that it fits in the trunk it's not very good as a kayak. it takes several minutes to get rolled out and inflated, and then dried, deflated, and folded up again later. meanwhile its profile is so wide with the side air bladders that it ends up feeling really slow and inefficient compared to any regular hard shell. also they sell a spine bar that goes along the bottom from front to back as an "optional extra" but it's basically required because otherwise the boat ends up being floppy and listless (text me)

its been nice to have around as a spare but i recommend getting a basic plastic one if at all possible, or just renting one when you want one

but if you don't mind a slow kayak, it's worth pointing out that rei's standard exclusion of boats from their 20% off coupon doesn't apply to inflatable kayaks

I've been renting when I go out there, yeah. just they want $50 for two hours so i can't really stop for lunch on the shore, as it were

at 5'11" and like 240# i fit but i suspect from reading it'd be slightly unpleasant for me too

if I knew what car I was getting next year I'd try to get roof racks that fit both it and my current volt, if such a thing is possible; for now i'll probably just wait, and buy it and a proper kayak to put on it next year

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
inflatable kayaks are ok for going down a relatively fast moving river or flooding creek.

don’t even think about using them on slow moving water or a lake, you might as well be in arm floaties with how slow you’ll be.

you need the water to move you, you will not be able to move through the water.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

oh yeah should've mentioned I mainly just use it on lakes/reservoirs, or slow streams a couple times

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

the only water I've been on so far is the local city water reservoir, so it's totally placid

which is nice of course, very relaxing, but i'd also like to try moving rivers--or even proper rapids--someday when i'm less certain i'd get killed doing so

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i mean you can cross a lake, but a dog and a cat together in a canoe will do it faster.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

do I get to pet them as they pass me or

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
They make folding kayaks and such as well, might be another option

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

lancemantis posted:

They make folding kayaks and such as well, might be another option

wow, i had no idea

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

if you already have roof rails you can easily (with $$$) get bits that hold a bike and a kayak

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

if you already have roof rails you can easily (with $$$) get bits that hold a bike and a kayak

yeah, i just don't have rails, and i'm turning in this car next year so i don't want to buy em yet

looking at this folding kayak and i'm hemming between buying that this year, and just waiting until next summer when i (presumably) buy a reliable car instead of leasing

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
once again mods please change thread title to "yospos loves gear" tia

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
its almost like people fixate on the idea of camping if they want to but cant actually go camping due to life circumstances; what an incredibly hot take that definitely is worth posting every three days

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Stymie posted:

once again mods please change thread title to "yospos loves gear" tia

gotta get the gear

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Ciaphas posted:

yeah, i just don't have rails, and i'm turning in this car next year so i don't want to buy em yet

looking at this folding kayak and i'm hemming between buying that this year, and just waiting until next summer when i (presumably) buy a reliable car instead of leasing

My inflatable was $70. At that price you could use it once and it would be worth it vs renting even if you hate it

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I think it would be cool to have like a hobie and just peddle around all day

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

went to castlepoint this weekend, climbed a big rock

big rock in distance

partway up the big rock looking back

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

that looks like a nice rock

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
if there's one thing hiking and trail running teach me on the regular, its how wrecked my hip mobility is from sitting in front of computers for years

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Update: Turns out I can't deal with being alone in the woods for extended trips so I backed off my through hike

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
the good/bad thing for me is perhaps dealing with that too well

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I've never done a solo through hike or even solo camping. I'd like to try it sometime.

did spend a few days in a hut in solitude and started talking to myself pretty quick

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
that's not always the worst, did you have anything interesting to say?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

no, of course not

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
just sitting here and suddenly a tick started crawling up my laptop screen :gonk:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

you're doing it wrong

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

get a battery pack for your phone. gps works without signal.

download a map for offline use as well. google maps lets you do this

google maps does not let you save maps in all countries

i use maps.me for this. you can download all the world if you have the space. it has also got some routing capability (i.e. app will tell you how to get to your destination) and lots of hotels-restaurants

but for outdoors i have found that the maps.me maps (based off openstreetmap) have got way way more hiking trails marked on than google maps. this has been useful many times

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Penisface posted:

google maps does not let you save maps in all countries

i use maps.me for this. you can download all the world if you have the space. it has also got some routing capability (i.e. app will tell you how to get to your destination) and lots of hotels-restaurants

but for outdoors i have found that the maps.me maps (based off openstreetmap) have got way way more hiking trails marked on than google maps. this has been useful many times

alltrails also has some good downloadable topo maps of trail routes, depending on where you are.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Speaking of GNSS, in recently learned that my phone supports not only GPS, Galileo and GLONASS, but also a Chinese system called BeiDou and a Japanese called QZSS. I didn't even know the latter two existed.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah there are actually a bunch, it’s just more a question of if it matters because many are regional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Sunday night is again putting me in a wanderful mood