Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

skasion posted:

That makes me wonder — does the emperor actually know that there’s 10 million Fremen, or did the Kyneses manage to keep that from him? The bit where Fenring nearly loses his poo poo when Baron H naively suggests turning Arrakis into a prison planet makes me feel like Fenring at least has some sense that the Fremen could rival the Sardaukar. If Fenring knows it (and after all he lived there) then surely Shaddam must know it. But if Shaddam knew the makings of an army to rival his own were on Arrakis, it was insanely foolhardy of him to send Leto there, even with the expectation of quickly killing him.

The Fremen kept it from them by bribing the poo poo out of the guild to prevent overflights. Fenring's warning is due to the Emperor not wanting the process by which Saurdaukar are reproduced to be analyzed and duplicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

skasion posted:

That makes me wonder — does the emperor actually know that there’s 10 million Fremen, or did the Kyneses manage to keep that from him? The bit where Fenring nearly loses his poo poo when Baron H naively suggests turning Arrakis into a prison planet makes me feel like Fenring at least has some sense that the Fremen could rival the Sardaukar. If Fenring knows it (and after all he lived there) then surely Shaddam must know it. But if Shaddam knew the makings of an army to rival his own were on Arrakis, it was insanely foolhardy of him to send Leto there, even with the expectation of quickly killing him.

that scene is after the coup, during which time the sardaukar disguised as harkonnen troops tussled with fremen and realized, holy poo poo, they're incredible fighters, and duh, life on this well-known hell-planet must be as bad as on our secret one

so they know that the fremen are being severely underestimated in that respect, which might make them suspect any number of other things, but i think we are supposed to believe that no one suspects that the fremen are a rival civilization

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I think prevailing wisdom is that the Fremen are a handful of backwards desert dwelling cavemen. they don't know that there are millions of them or that they have high tech equipment and a bunch of underground weapons factories.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It’s definitely not common knowledge, but some people do know it. The Harkonnens don’t, but Thufir and the other important Atreides retainers are apparently aware that there’s more to the Fremen than received wisdom suggests before the move to Arrakis is actually made — in fact they’re all down to actively court the Fremen as allies from the moment they arrive. I have a hard time seeing why they would suspect that if Shaddam doesn’t though. Maybe Thufir’s sources are just really good.

Doc Hawkins posted:

that scene is after the coup

Good point.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I'm re-reading the series and am only up to Dune Messiah so maybe this gets answered later, but the last time I read through the books I never really got a handle on what Paul's Jihad is all about. They're murdering people by the billions and rendering planets uninhabitable, but...to what end? My guess is these planets refused to accept Paul as the emperor and/or recognize him as a god, though I don't remember if any character ever states that outright. When Paul mulls it over in Dune, I think he only references it as this thing that is going to happen no matter what.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
The Fremen are mostly considered savages. That's why the Emperor largely dismisses them. They don't kick up too much poo poo - or sand - in the villages and towns of Arrakis so Imperial citizenry are encouraged to ignore them. Probably they just got used to thinking of them as dumb barbarians and the Fremen kept a low profile so no one would nose into their affairs. When the Sardaukar get into it with the Fremen, they're usually taken by surprise.

Communist Walrus posted:

I'm re-reading the series and am only up to Dune Messiah so maybe this gets answered later, but the last time I read through the books I never really got a handle on what Paul's Jihad is all about. They're murdering people by the billions and rendering planets uninhabitable, but...to what end? My guess is these planets refused to accept Paul as the emperor and/or recognize him as a god, though I don't remember if any character ever states that outright. When Paul mulls it over in Dune, I think he only references it as this thing that is going to happen no matter what.

Total centralized power (esp. in the hands of one figure) = bad.

That's pretty much the lesson of the Golden Path.

phasmid fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 24, 2019

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Phanatic posted:

The Fremen kept it from them by bribing the poo poo out of the guild to prevent overflights. Fenring's warning is due to the Emperor not wanting the process by which Saurdaukar are reproduced to be analyzed and duplicated.

Yeah they paid off the Guild in spice to not track them with the spy satellite system.

Which meant the real population and also military capability were underestimated by the Emperor

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Communist Walrus posted:

Ostensibly to spread veneration of Muad’dib everywhere, but also because a lot of the Fremen got a taste for killing and raping.

It pretty much all gets explained presciently the first time Paul starts tripping balls in the desert

quote:

He had seen a warrior religion there, a fire spreading across the universe with the Atreides green and black banner waving at the head of fanatic legions drunk on spice liquor. Gurney Halleck and a few others of his father’s men—a pitiful few—were among them, all marked by the hawk symbol from the shrine of his father’s skull.

“I can’t go that way,” he muttered. “That’s what the old witches of your schools really want.”

“I don’t understand you, Paul,” his mother said.

He remained silent, thinking like the seed he was, thinking with the race consciousness he had first experienced as terrible purpose. He found that he no longer could hate the Bene Gesserit or the Emperor or even the Harkonnens. They were all caught up in the need of their race to renew its scattered inheritance, to cross and mingle and infuse their bloodlines in a great new pooling of genes. And the race knew only one sure way for this—the ancient way, the tried and certain way that rolled over everything in its path: jihad.

Surely, I cannot choose that way, he thought.

But he saw again in his mind’s eye the shrine of his father’s skull and the violence with the green and black banner waving in its midst.

skasion fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 24, 2019

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

etalian posted:

Yeah they paid off the Guild in spice to not track them with the spy satellite system.

Which meant the real population and also military capability were underestimated by the Emperor

Wouldn’t (or at least shouldn’t) the Emperor have had spies in the Spacing Guild to know about the bribes or at least that something didn’t smell right?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The Spacing Guild has all the leverage, if they decide not to play ball with the emperor he’s emperor of exactly one planet.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

whydirt posted:

Wouldn’t (or at least shouldn’t) the Emperor have had spies in the Spacing Guild to know about the bribes or at least that something didn’t smell right?
He probably had some dudes watching them, but it would seem very hard to infiltrate a society of prescients, and very risky to do so when they have the monopoly on space travel. Shaddam has a pretty flimsy footing.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Espionage is v tricky in Dune. All the major powers have really long histories so it's all feint-counterfeint. In the encyclopedia (pseudo canon) the reason the Tleilaxu are so mysterious is that they had a single planetary hegemony for thousands of years before the Guild discovered them. Then the BG wanted to send it's spies in and quickly realized it was impossible.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

skasion posted:

It’s definitely not common knowledge, but some people do know it. The Harkonnens don’t, but Thufir and the other important Atreides retainers are apparently aware that there’s more to the Fremen than received wisdom suggests before the move to Arrakis is actually made — in fact they’re all down to actively court the Fremen as allies from the moment they arrive. I have a hard time seeing why they would suspect that if Shaddam doesn’t though. Maybe Thufir’s sources are just really good.

I think it's also an Atreides thing: they want to respect the people who live on their planet, they would not dismiss them as rabble/vermin the way the harkonnen did.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Doc Hawkins posted:

I think it's also an Atreides thing: they want to respect the people who live on their planet, they would not dismiss them as rabble/vermin the way the harkonnen did.

there's that cool scene where The Beast Rabban is patiently trying to explain to the Baron that the Fremen are actually decent fighters and surprisingly numerous, and the Baron just dismisses all this obvious nonsense from the dumbest member of the family.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Yeah I think the big surprise was more "there's like fifty million of them, not like two hundred thousand."

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Ten leeeeeegions of sarducar

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Stillsuits are the most flattering

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 26, 2019

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Wasn’t he also Gurney the Butch

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

:barf:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I forget. Has the new TV series been brought up yet?

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

D. Ebdrup posted:

I forget. Has the new TV series been brought up yet?

I hope this is not based on "Sisterhood of Dune" by @DuneAuthor

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Temaukel posted:

I hope this is not based on "Sisterhood of Dune" by @DuneAuthor

I guarantee you it is. Probably the compromise Villanueve had to make to get final cut, basically help jumpstart another @DuneAuthor dream project.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I demand that they make an HBO high budget long series adaptation of The Assassination of Billy Jeeling.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Temaukel posted:

I demand that they make an HBO high budget long series adaptation of The Assassination of Billy Jeeling.

Is there even an actor black enough? We’re talking black as if there was no intermingling with lighter skinned races in his ancestry.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

role requirements:
-male age 25-35
-Black
-Like, really black
-No family history of miscegenation
-big dong

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

When God hath ordained a goon to post in a particular place, He causeth that goon's wants to direct him to that place.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I recommended dune to some co-workers but I haven’t read in 10 years at least so rereading to make sure I didn’t recommend anything too bad.

Is the baron the only gay/bi character in these (six) books?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fritzler posted:

I recommended dune to some co-workers but I haven’t read in 10 years at least so rereading to make sure I didn’t recommend anything too bad.

There's literally an army of them in God-Emperor.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's literally an army of them in God-Emperor.

They’re really just fish-lip-stick lesbian :haw:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Sure would be bad if people were gay

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Fritzler posted:

if they like rear end and scat play they should be mostly fine

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 26, 2019

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

*liet-kynes inner monologuishly*]: i have to admit, against my better judgement, i like this duke

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The loveliest Feyd.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Fritzler posted:

It's all a bit :biotruths: and Heretics and Chapterhouse feature what's effectively child rape no matter how you dress it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

C'mon Feyd. Nobody is buying the hairpiece.