Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the talent deficit posted:

google has hundreds of open stadia jobs for 'client integrations engineer'. they're all google employees loaned out to studios to port to stadia

nobody trusts a google cloud service to not go away as soon as they get bored so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Unfortunately we have decided to discontinue our Stadia product. All of the games in your Stadia Library will be available until June 30th, 2021, after which they will be permanently unavailable. You can not download these games, nor will any refunds be issued.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

The_Franz posted:

never mind that android will still be a relevant platform for mobile developers and industries like high-end vfx

???

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

game streaming isn't going to work in the US, land of monopolies, bad infrastructure, and bandwidth caps. it'll be at least 25 years before consistent low latency connections will be available to normies, assuming the country doesn't collapse into an agrarian society before then

should do ok in the first world tho, where retail hardware is expensive and good connections are already cheap and widespread

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
you know, all those high end android vfx rigs like

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

pram posted:

Unfortunately we have decided to discontinue our Stadia product. All of the games in your Stadia Library will be available until June 30th, 2021, after which they will be permanently unavailable. You can not download these games, nor will any refunds be issued.

too real

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

nah there's normally all sorts of fluff in the middle between the "we're shutting this service down" and the "you're hosed" sentences

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also there'd be a "thanks for participating" in there

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
No one expects an instant success. But even if this week’s launch evokes snark or yawns, Google will keep at it. Google+ is not a product like Buzz or Wave where the company’s leaders can chalk off a failure to laudable ambition and then move on. “We’re in this for the long run,” says Ben-Yair. “This isn’t like an experiment. We’re betting on this, so if obstacles arise, we’ll adapt.”

“I don’t really see what Google’s alternative is,” says Smarr. “People are going to be a fundamental layer of the internet. There’s no going back.”

https://www.wired.com/2011/06/inside-google-plus-social/

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
such an incredible journey

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

vfucks

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The_Franz posted:

industries like high-end vfx, medical imaging and automotive aren't windows-centric

rude to make some look bad by selective quoting, imo. vfx will use opengl until physically forced not to, and probably for some time after that point

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Vfx industry is crazy amounts of custom in house tooling plus tons of random off the shelf junk you have never heard of (Houdini, Notch). They probably use Vulkan in some tools but are not coordinated enough to pick up the pieces if Google eats the dust. They do not care about Android.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The Franz wasn't saying they did, they were saying that vfx isn't windows-centric and so has a use for a cross-platform graphics api

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
Vulkan's loving amazing under any platform (c.f. Doom) so it's going to be fine, as for Stadia you can just look at the Games thread to see how excited everyone is for it

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
There is no business case for porting a game engine to use Vulkan.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Good Dumplings posted:

Vulkan's loving amazing under any platform (c.f. Doom) so it's going to be fine, as for Stadia you can just look at the Games thread to see how excited everyone is for it

You're not going to trick me to going to games.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Good Dumplings posted:

source your quotes

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

not porting maybe, but everything new should be in vulkan.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

There is no business case for porting a game engine to use Vulkan.

depends on how well it works on consoles

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah im sure microsoft is going to release a vulkan api for the xbox minusone any day now

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Sapozhnik posted:

yeah im sure microsoft is going to release a vulkan api for the xbox minusone any day now

I heard they wanted to but there's a incompatibility with its memory

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

switch and ps4 would be enough, its not like the switch and ps4 use directx now

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tankakern posted:

not porting maybe, but everything new should be in vulkan.

why lol

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The more interesting Vulkan thing at the moment is the fact that the raspberry pi 4 is capable of supporting it, since it has a new videocore 6 soc

I wouldn't expect anything as powerful as the Switch from noted GPU designer uhh, Broadcom, but it will be interesting to see what it's capable of nonetheless

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

did that gnome pr ever get merged in

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

:lolplant:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

you didn't answer my question

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
i like dxvk so i can daytrade in mmo’s without having to boot into windows every now and then. so vulkan is ok in my book.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Update on Steam, Ubuntu, and 32-bit support

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
dropping 32 bit seems like ubuntu trying to imitate apple. while that’s often a good idea (see: systemd), this time not so much, especially without imitating the part where you start dropping clues multiple years in advance and explicit timelines more than a year before the first no-32-bit release drops. sounds like valve was told about this far too late to react and now everyone’s scrambling to find the least damaging way to proceed

(a bunch of steam games are going unsupported in macOS Catalina for exactly this reason but at least they had time to plan out whatever response seemed best)

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

https://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/0/1640915206447625383/ posted:

The announced change by Ubuntu would have required us to fully complete such a system in the 19.10 release time frame, as it would be required there to maintain functionality without requiring users to reinstall Steam through another method.

... the bottom line is that we would have had to drop what we're doing and scramble to support the new scheme in time for 19.10.

https://ubuntu.com/blog/statement-on-32-bit-i386-packages-for-ubuntu-19-10-and-20-04-lts posted:

Community discussions can sometimes take unexpected turns, and this is one of those. The question of support for 32-bit x86 has been raised and seriously discussed in Ubuntu developer and community forums since 2014. That’s how we make decisions.

After the Ubuntu 18.04 LTS release we had extensive threads on the ubuntu-devel list and also consulted Valve in detail on the topic. None of those discussions raised the passions we’ve seen here, so we felt we had sufficient consensus for the move in Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

seems like someone is misrepresenting the exchange between ubuntu/canonical and valve, ubuntu devs are saying "we told you we were going to do this more than a year ago, you seemed to be on board", valve saying "you sprung this on us for this release and we had no idea this was going to happen"

not sure which i believe, maybe both are true and the people working on steam linux now are not the ones who were part of that (alleged) conversation

whether a year+ of notice is reasonable is a different question of course

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lysidas posted:

seems like someone is misrepresenting the exchange between ubuntu/canonical and valve, ubuntu devs are saying "we told you we were going to do this more than a year ago, you seemed to be on board", valve saying "you sprung this on us for this release and we had no idea this was going to happen"

not sure which i believe, maybe both are true and the people working on steam linux now are not the ones who were part of that (alleged) conversation

whether a year+ of notice is reasonable is a different question of course

the two statements are about dates 6 months apart so both could be true

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
does a years notice matter when 18.04 lts is supported for 5 years?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

BobHoward posted:

(a bunch of steam games are going unsupported in macOS Catalina for exactly this reason but at least they had time to plan out whatever response seemed best)
mac games lol

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Xfway Aims To Provide A Wayland Compositor Inspired By Xfce's Xfwm4

let's hope this one man show gets somewhere, it could mean xfce having a future

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

just use X with Motif and CDE

the way it was meant to be used

bonus points if the fonts look like airport runway signage

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tankakern posted:

Xfway Aims To Provide A Wayland Compositor Inspired By Xfce's Xfwm4

let's hope this one man show gets somewhere, it could mean xfce having a future

x11 isn't going anywhere

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

just use X with Motif and CDE

the way it was meant to be used

bonus points if the fonts look like airport runway signage

you have to install legacy unix to get the good fonts

i can remember back in the day copying the sw8 adobe fonts off a solaris install to use on my home pc running linux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

x11 isn't going anywhere

hm i don't get what you're trying to say. the point of the link i posted was showing that someone is making an xfce window manager on wayland