Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

Moose-Alini posted:

Do they not show third impact in the original show? Showing it my wife for the first time and went from Kowaru dying to Shinji instrumentality mind stuff.

I guess it’s jumbled up with the movies in my mind.

No, they ran out of budget to end the show so it's all internal dialogue from Shinji, save for Congratulations!. Third Impact is in End.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Canonically, yeah, episodes 25+26 take place about three fourths of the way through EoE (definitely after the Komm, Susser Todd sequence).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

bare bottom pancakes posted:

No, they ran out of budget to end the show so it's all internal dialogue from Shinji, save for Congratulations!. Third Impact is in End.

They didn't run out of budget. The original versions of episodes 25 and 26 were a lot closer to End of Evangelion, but the network executives refused to air them, and they had to make something to replace them at the last minute.

e: The original script for episodes 25 and 26 is available here, along with some brief notes in English comparing and contrasting them to EoE.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 24, 2019

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Decades later there are still thousands of legends surrounding Evangellion.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean there are also legends about dragon ball Z.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
The island arc was just dunking on Nadia constantly and it owned.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean there are also legends about dragon ball Z.

Legend has it that some people think Vegeta isn't the Best Dad.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

They didn't run out of budget. The original versions of episodes 25 and 26 were a lot closer to End of Evangelion, but the network executives refused to air them, and they had to make something to replace them at the last minute.

e: The original script for episodes 25 and 26 is available here, along with some brief notes in English comparing and contrasting them to EoE.

My apologies, that's what I had been told before. Thank you for informing me!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/Mendinso/status/1142926691356086273?s=09

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think that people/monsters get stabbed/shot in the eyes a lot just because it's a strong/uncomfortable visual, gets a reaction out of the audience

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
There's a lot of choking in Evangelion.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
choking is an extremely personal way to kill someone, it's a way to take control of them, it's a way to silence them, to remove any way for another person to communicate. Shinji picking up Asuka and choking her is maybe the scene from Eva that's stayed with me the most, it's such a dark domestic scene that feels extremely real and possible.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Expect My Mom posted:

choking is an extremely personal way to kill someone, it's a way to take control of them, it's a way to silence them, to remove any way for another person to communicate. Shinji picking up Asuka and choking her is maybe the scene from Eva that's stayed with me the most, it's such a dark domestic scene that feels extremely real and possible.
Yeah. It's so heinous, so visceral, so tragic and horrifying. The contempt that drips from Asuka's "NO." The almost look of manic glee on Shinji's face during the flashes. The ragdoll, lack of struggle as she ascends. It's so hosed up and has also stayed with me more than any other individual scene in the series/movies. That it leads directly into Komm Süsser Tod just puts a bow on it all.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hmm, wikipedia tells me Zeta Gundam aired in 1985. How does that compare in the crippling-depression-o-meter?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Just finished watching Neon Genesis Evangelion, will watch End of Evangelion tomorrow. It's really quite good! Having never watched it before I thought the Netflix version of the subtitles were fine, and the wonderful thing about them is that in the few moments where they're super controversial I can just mentally place the "correct" dialogue there. It would have been nice to have the proper music during the end credits, but there's a video on YouTube of all the proper versions of Fly Me to the Moon so I just put that on at the end of each episode.

The original ending is really good - maybe less satisfying if you have to wait another year for the rest, but I feel like you're missing something if you decide to skip it. It's only 50 minutes of your life in the event you don't like it.

Are the redux versions worth watching? Any other Hideaki Anno recommendations (aside from Shin Godzilla)?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If you mean the Rebuild movies, that's a bit of a complicated question. Since you are now pretty much through to the other side and have watched the series anyway, I'll say "Yes" because you don't have anything to lose and most of the controversy is whether to watch them before or after.

They're interesting in that while they are ostensibly high quality rehashes of the series, there is enough different (which ramps up exponentially the farther you get) that as a different take it can more than stand on its own. People have been debating its place in the overall mythos and discussion of the franchise for literally 12 years and I don't see that coming to an end even when the final movie finally comes out. All I can say is that you should watch it for yourself and decide yourself.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Covok posted:

Also, apparently my holiday edition Evangelion boxset is worth 500 USD and my Rebirth and End of Eva dvds are also worth bank. I bought them for $20 each with my allowance in middle shool.

Whoa whoa whoa, let's back up here...

Surely you don't mean this thing?

I'm not aware of any other holiday boxed set, but this seems wild. The extras on the discs aren't that good, as far as I remember. I'm presuming its $500 for an unopened copy, at least?

How much does a complete set of platinum singles or the perfect collection tin set go for? Has the market really gotten so scarce on the poo poo that was in Best Buy's Anime section circa 2008? Do I need to look up how much the full series of Wolf's Rain is going for?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

araeris posted:

I'm not aware of any other holiday boxed set, but this seems wild. The extras on the discs aren't that good, as far as I remember. I'm presuming its $500 for an unopened copy, at least?

How much does a complete set of platinum singles or the perfect collection tin set go for? Has the market really gotten so scarce on the poo poo that was in Best Buy's Anime section circa 2008? Do I need to look up how much the full series of Wolf's Rain is going for?

that's the one, apparently

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 24, 2019

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I was looking at those and they were literally $200 two days ago

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

I was looking at those and they were literally $200 two days ago
two days ago people got real mad @ the netflix dub and wanted to see the original

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

araeris posted:

Evangelion is a special case. And yes that's the same DVD I have. It's special because ADV went out of business and when it was liquidating its assets, it had to sell all of its copies. So, the market got flooded. But, it's also a really popular series so everyone, including myself, bought it for next to nothing. But that meant that we purchased all of the merchandise and nothing new was made. And then to put the cherry on top, the license was acquired by a company that will never release a physical media and the version that many remember from their childhood or from watching Adult Swim is not available anywhere.

So, you have a super popular franchise licensed by a company that will not do a home video release and the only version they will release is their own in-house version which is considered, fairly or unfairly, inferior by many to the original version that is near impossible to find.

You have demand, you have severly limited Supply, and you have the reality that no new supply will ever be made.

That's a perfect storm for an item accruing value massively.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The holiday set is particularly sought after because it doesn’t have all the special features and extra stuff of the Platinum edition so the video bitrate is slightly higher. It’s literally the best available version with the ADV dub, though the differences between the two versions are hard to discern unless you have top end gear from start to finish and are also literally a hawk.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Midjack posted:

The holiday set is particularly sought after because it doesn’t have all the special features and extra stuff of the Platinum edition so the video bitrate is slightly higher. It’s literally the best available version with the ADV dub, though the differences between the two versions are hard to discern unless you have top end gear from start to finish and are also literally a hawk.

What's a bit rate? Is that just mean that the pixels load in faster or something?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I'm not a capitalist but I do very much like the idea of selling my old platinum collection (after ripping the episodes off)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Covok posted:

What's a bit rate? Is that just mean that the pixels load in faster or something?
The video encode is of a slightly higher quality so you'll get less compression and slightly sharper images.

But this is all for an SD master so the gain is jack poo poo.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDpgXfAFhnE

Also the artist's tumblr blog is great
http://shinjito.tumblr.com

Covok
May 27, 2013

You know, I know we aren't supposed to talk about piracy. But, when I was a kid, everyone pirated this series. I know piracy kind of guide for a little bit well Netflix actually made it easier not to pirate. But with the rise of all the different streaming services, piracy is back. I'm not saying piracy is good and not saying you should pirate and I'm not telling anyone to pirate, I'm just shocked that it went to acting like it's impossible to find the series with the og dub.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Covok posted:

You know, I know we aren't supposed to talk about piracy. But, when I was a kid, everyone pirated this series. I know piracy kind of guide for a little bit well Netflix actually made it easier not to pirate. But with the rise of all the different streaming services, piracy is back. I'm not saying piracy is good and not saying you should pirate and I'm not telling anyone to pirate, I'm just shocked that it went to acting like it's impossible to find the series with the og dub.
some people like to have physical collections to display, some would like to be able to watch on their TV instead of their computer

Covok
May 27, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

some people like to have physical collections to display, some would like to be able to watch on their TV instead of their computer

This is unrelated to piracy, but you can hook a computer up to your television with a HDMI cable. It's very useful if you want to watch a streaming service on your television and you don't have a fire stick or equivalent. Most laptops are compatible.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Covok posted:

This is unrelated to piracy, but you can hook a computer up to your television with a HDMI cable. It's very useful if you want to watch a streaming service on your television and you don't have a fire stick or equivalent. Most laptops are compatible.
Most desktops set up in a different room aren't

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I watched Evangelion on youtube with the episodes in 3 parts cause of the 10 minute limit back then.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

I managed to find the VHS for nearly all the episodes at a video store. Rented those, rented Death and Rebirth, furious to discover it ended with the Asuka and the Eva Series circling overhead, and went and bought the series online.

Good times.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I haven’t watched EOE in a long rear end time so I can’t tell if where or how the script was different but it seemed more straightforward this go around?

Covok
May 27, 2013

My cousin was really into Evangelion. So he loaned my older brother DVDs. But my older brother is really weird about Evangelion. He loves the series but it depresses him way too much. He didn't want to show me it cuz he thought it'd be too depressing. So I did some chores around the house to get my allowance and bought a few DVDs from Best Buy. But I was never able to buy all of them. But I did buy death and rebirth and End of Evangelion. Would practically told me the whole story.

I would not see the complete original series until it aired on Adult Swim. Funnily enough, because I was still in middle school and I wasn't supposed to be up that late, I had to listen to it with the audio really low. That made it really hard to follow in a series so big on little dialogue. Same reason why Fooly Cooly is super loving confusing to me.

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch

cargohills posted:

Any other Hideaki Anno recommendations (aside from Shin Godzilla)?

I really can't recommend GunBuster (Top wo Narae!) enough. Beautifully animated 6 episode OVA from the 80s. The ending makes me tear up every time. I can't recommend it to normals because the fanservice is so aggressively prevalent, but it's a sincere love letter to science fiction, Hollywood action films, and sports manga of that era.

His and Her Circumstances (KareKano) makes for a nice palette cleanser after End of Evangelion. It's the same exploration of overcoming personal trauma and navigating interpersonal relationships, but told from the perspective of two teenagers setting out on their first adult romance. You rarely get to see parents that truly love and support their children in anime, so witnessing the genuine love that permeates this show gave the cynic in me a real case of genre whiplash. It's also very funny, totally charming, and much of the animation on display anticipates FLCL's debut in a few short years. (Did you know His and Her did the animated manga bit before FLCL?) Be forewarned, however, Hideaki Anno left the production after disagreements with the original mangaka over the direction the series was taking, so unfortunately it doesn't really have an ending. However, the journey is heart warming, the animation is endlessly inventive (there's an episode where they just photograph paper cutouts on popsicle sticks!), and its sincere positivity is such a welcome departure from Evangelion. I really like it.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

phew, thank you kotaku, im saved.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

The video encode is of a slightly higher quality so you'll get less compression and slightly sharper images.

But this is all for an SD master so the gain is jack poo poo.

This. The Plat collection is fine, and both are better than the original DVD release. The Japanese Bluray is the best available image but you’ll have to rip and add the subtitles or audio yourself.

It’s taking me a while, but worth it to get a good version of EoE.

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch

Zeruel posted:

phew, thank you kotaku, im saved.

You should read it. At the end the writer casually drops how she goaded a friend in to physically attacking another friend because they disagreed about a cartoon show.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I'm on Ep 9 and one of my favorite moments in the original dub is effectively so sedated.

Fuyutsuki: "What is the purpose of NERV?"
Asuka: "Uh... to pilot EVA?"
Fuyutsuki: "WRONG, IT'S TO BEAT THE ANGELS!!"

the new dub just has everyone so... sleepy in comparison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Console Role Player posted:

You should read it. At the end the writer casually drops how she goaded a friend in to physically attacking another friend because they disagreed about a cartoon show.

I'm only three paragraphs in and this sounds like when you try to describe a petty argument to a disinterested third party just because you need to vent. It's kind of pathetic to make this a news article.