Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Arrrthritis posted:

Just started BG1 as a Fighter/Mage with Kagain, Imoen, Rasaad, Neera, and Branwen in my party. What advice do you guys have for keeping my reputation under 19 so Kagain doesn't up and leave my party?

You can also install the tweaks anthology component to prevent NPCs from leaving due to reputation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

rocketrobot posted:

Go to the place with the fishermen (where you find Drzzt) and kill one when you get to 17 or 18

I suppose I could always just get Imoen to steal from shops, too.

Thanks for the advice!

e: What weapons should I be going for in BG1/BG2? I've started tons of runs but i've never finished either one.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Arrrthritis posted:

I suppose I could always just get Imoen to steal from shops, too.

Thanks for the advice!

e: What weapons should I be going for in BG1/BG2? I've started tons of runs but i've never finished either one.

There are a lot of +1 morningstars, maces & hammers early on in BG-1. Otherwise, I like bastard swords for 1H weapons and 2H swords for 2H weapons. Longbows are the best ranged (although there is a particularly awesome shortbow I always give to Imoen).

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Bastard swords are underrepresented in BG2. You can't go wrong with long swords though.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Arrrthritis posted:

Just started BG1 as a Fighter/Mage with Kagain, Imoen, Rasaad, Neera, and Branwen in my party. What advice do you guys have for keeping my reputation under 19 so Kagain doesn't up and leave my party?

My usual reputation hits are:

Unshey, to get the quest XP for the belt but also get to keep the belt.
Firebead Elvenhair, who gives you a great XP boost early game and isn't TOO hard to kill basically as soon as you get to Beregost.
The chubby dude upstairs at the inn in Beregost, to get the nymphs cloak. You can potentially just pickpocket it, but murder helps with reputation management.
Drizzt, because he has the best weapons in the game.
Shandalar in Ulgoths Beard for his robe of the neutral archmagi. You've got to hit him with a wand of paralisation or he will gently caress you up.

Just the first three on the list will be enough to keep your rep under 19 the whole game, especially if you wait until your rep is high each time.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

bike tory posted:

Firebead Elvenhair, who gives you a great XP boost early game and isn't TOO hard to kill basically as soon as you get to Beregost.

You loving monster.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Firebead is one of very few people that you can kill twice. Like Drizzt, he also doesn't remember the first time.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

Firebead is one of very few people that you can kill twice. Like Drizzt, he also doesn't remember the first time.

Not in the EEs, killing him in Candlekeep makes the entire place go hostile now including Gorion :(

Ratios and Tendency posted:

You loving monster.

He's a dick you've gotta talk to him like 30 times to get your reward out of him

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

bike tory posted:

He's a dick you've gotta talk to him like 30 times to get your reward out of him

He's testing to make sure you're decent folk. They're so hard to find nowadays.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Suspicious posted:

Bastard swords are underrepresented in BG2.
with ToB you can beeline for Watcher's Keep and get this monster (and Foebane before that, too!):

https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Purifier

I remember Wizard Slayer -> Thief is p good with that in the offhand

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mzbundifund posted:

If he doesn't remember your first time he definitely deserves killing

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I thought Drizzt does rememher you killing him and gets pissy about it?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

citybeatnik posted:

I thought Drizzt does rememher you killing him and gets pissy about it?

He only registers if you're carrying his weapons IIRC.

If you're evil-aligned and share a name with him he also picks a fight.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Completed dungeon floor 1 of Durlag's tower and... holy poo poo, I'm way underleveled for this place. I think everyone sans myself gained two levels exploring, and I had to retry the watcher fight like, 20 times because Love kept one-shotting Rasaad.

I think i'm going to return when i'm done with whatever is going on in Cloakwood, or maybe when I actually go to Baldur's Gate.

I was going to ask whether to play siege of dragonspear or go straight into BG2, but the summer sale let me pick them both up (and PS:T) for $5 each.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arrrthritis posted:

Completed dungeon floor 1 of Durlag's tower and... holy poo poo, I'm way underleveled for this place. I think everyone sans myself gained two levels exploring, and I had to retry the watcher fight like, 20 times because Love kept one-shotting Rasaad.

I think i'm going to return when i'm done with whatever is going on in Cloakwood, or maybe when I actually go to Baldur's Gate.

I was going to ask whether to play siege of dragonspear or go straight into BG2, but the summer sale let me pick them both up (and PS:T) for $5 each.

What level are your characters? I usually do the ToSC stuff, Durlag's included, a ways after getting into Baldur's Gate proper; around level 5-6 for each character. Anytime sooner and it feels like a slog.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

What level are your characters? I usually do the ToSC stuff, Durlag's included, a ways after getting into Baldur's Gate proper; around level 5-6 for each character. Anytime sooner and it feels like a slog.

I was level 4/3 on my main guy and everyone else was around level 4. When we left everyone was level 6 and my main guy was level 5/4.

Wand of summoning helped a lot with the helmed horrors outside.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Haha holy smokes yeah. Do not attempt Durlag's tower unless you:

- Are high enough level to have access to at LEAST 3rd level spells (really, 4th), enchanted weapons on everyone who uses weapons to attack, and a party member with a very high find/remove traps

or

- Have encyclopedic metagame knowledge of every threat you will face and their countermeasures. You'll have to spend consumables.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I might be in the minority, but I love the atmosphere of sneaking through Durlag's step by literal step of searching for traps. Move forward an inch with my scout, bring party in, mess with things. I've done it a doze or so times and Durlag's still takes me about 5-6 hours to get through. Maybe closer to 3-4 but it feels long.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Durlag's is probably my favorite dungeon in the entire series.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
With the EE giving it more than 32,000 pathing nodes on a given map so characters no longer bounce around like they're in a trapped and highly deadly pachinko machine, Durlag's is definitely my vote for best dungeon in a series rife with some seriously excellent dungeons.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mzbundifund posted:

- Have encyclopedic metagame knowledge of every threat you will face and their countermeasures. You'll have to spend consumables.

That awkward moment when you realize you've beaten BG enough times to know where every trap is in Durlag's Tower

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Willie Tomg posted:

With the EE giving it more than 32,000 pathing nodes on a given map so characters no longer bounce around like they're in a trapped and highly deadly pachinko machine, Durlag's is definitely my vote for best dungeon in a series rife with some seriously excellent dungeons.

Until the pathing decides to use the corridor with the undetectable, irremovable fireball trap. :v:

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Suspicious posted:

Until the pathing decides to use the corridor with the undetectable, irremovable fireball trap. :v:

Still less bad than the EE still having the instadeath bug in the corridor before the elemental rooms in Durlag

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

I might be in the minority, but I love the atmosphere of sneaking through Durlag's step by literal step of searching for traps. Move forward an inch with my scout, bring party in, mess with things. I've done it a doze or so times and Durlag's still takes me about 5-6 hours to get through. Maybe closer to 3-4 but it feels long.

I gotta say, it was some of the most intense dungeon crawling i've played in years. Every step very well could have been the death of my entire party.

Oh, and gently caress the ghouls that spawned during the time I actually beat the warders. Still beats Neera suddenly casting away 20k of my gold tho

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Durlag's is great because as the story and lore unfolds it actually explains why it's full of totally illogical levers and switches and poo poo. It's such a great interweaving of story telling and dungeon crawling. I think they managed something similar with Irenicus' dungeon.

That's what's missing from Watcher's Keep and it's a shame because WK is otherwise a great dungeon. Aside from the maze level which is literally the worst thing in these games.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

E: nm figured it all out myself yay me

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 26, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

bike tory posted:

Durlag's is great because as the story and lore unfolds it actually explains why it's full of totally illogical levers and switches and poo poo. It's such a great interweaving of story telling and dungeon crawling. I think they managed something similar with Irenicus' dungeon.

That's what's missing from Watcher's Keep and it's a shame because WK is otherwise a great dungeon. Aside from the maze level which is literally the worst thing in these games.

Between Watcher's Keep and Durlag's, I always prefer Durlag's. Watcher's has a lot of room that seem disconnected from time/space so they could be anywhere. Durlag's seems like a real place, intricately designed with poo poo tons of environmental story telling. Hell, I'd love a full game of nothing but Durlag's, but handled like Dark Souls.

New Edit Feature More Words: I'm going back through NWN1 with the Enhanced Edition. Unlike most I fairly enjoy the main campaign. For an afterthought adventure it's got a lot of poo poo going on, lots of places to explore in any order, tons of characters, lots of quests, etc. It's just kinda dry. Anywho, looking at fan favorite modules and Aielund Saga comes up a lot and is on the Steam Workshop. Is that a really good adventure? Looks like it's long as gently caress, and also needs me to install Real Skies Lite and another Winter style tileset. I like using the Steam Workshop because I always found installing modules for NWN1 a pain in the rear end (relatively).

Edit Again With More Questions: Which of the official modules for NWN after the two expansions are the best? I'm pretty interested in the Crown of Cormyr one and Pirates of the Sword Coast. Are those reasonably lengthy and complete? I remember the first Kingmaker pack had like three small and incomplete (as in expected sequels that never came out) modules. Lastly, any good modules that continue on from the main campaign so my characters can reach god hood? Or should I just consign myself to Infinite Dungeons for Infinite Fun?

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 26, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The second expansion has you going through epic levels and eventually descending into hell.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Skwirl posted:

The second expansion has you going through epic levels and eventually descending into hell.

I know, I meant the premium modules, not including the original 2 expansions.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

chaosapiant posted:

Which of the official modules for NWN after the two expansions are the best? I'm pretty interested in the Crown of Cormyr one and Pirates of the Sword Coast. Are those reasonably lengthy and complete? I remember the first Kingmaker pack had like three small and incomplete (as in expected sequels that never came out) modules. Lastly, any good modules that continue on from the main campaign so my characters can reach god hood? Or should I just consign myself to Infinite Dungeons for Infinite Fun?

I don't remember much about the official stuff, apart from Crown of Cormyr involving a terribly buggy horse-riding/jousting system.

On the other hand, there were shitloads of great, unofficial modules, and they're all free, and still out there:

https://lilura1.blogspot.com/2017/12/Core-Neverwinter-Nights-Adventure-Modules-and-Campaigns.html
https://lilura1.blogspot.com/2017/08/Neverwinter-Nights-Best-Adventure-Modules-and-Campaigns.html

I remember playing a ton of these back in the day, but it's been a while, and can't remember much detail. A lot of names ringing a bell though, and if I had to pick one, probably go with Darkness over Daggerford. Nearly all the highly-rated modules are way better than main campaign.

No idea how well they work with EE yet, I'm still working my way through Underdark expansion*, but am definitely going to give a few another go once done with that.

There also a few very well-made modules with a specific character focus, e.g:

Necromancy:
https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/bone-kenning-i-art-thanaturge

Paladin
https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/paladin-twilight-and-midnight

and so many others, depending on what nerdy fantasy floats your boat.

As to "reaching godhood", I always used

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/halls-advanced-training-deluxe-hotusou-edition

to make a character for mods that required a higher starting level.

doomy-doom-doom! If you play that, take Deekin + Valen together, they have such great banter I have only just seen for the first time.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
In BG1(EE) is there any way to tell if using a container will be considered stealing? I'm trying to figure out some convenient places to stash items in the early game and it seems like some chests are free to use once I unlock them (like the chest in the corner of Friendly Arm) while others alert the guards.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Doesn't it usually depend whether anyone sees you? Like actually whether any NPCs are in range/line of sight of the character opening the chest?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Yes but some chests are fine even if everybody sees you. Like the chest near the entrance of the FAI.

As far as I know there's no way to tell except trial and error.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
I usually stash my stuff at Kagain's shop. Beregost is a pretty convenient location.

Once I hit BG I tend to use the barrels behind Silence in the Thieves' Guild.

Jolene
Jan 1, 2019

cigaw posted:

I usually stash my stuff at Kagain's shop. Beregost is a pretty convenient location.

Once I hit BG I tend to use the barrels behind Silence in the Thieves' Guild.

Promethium posted:

In BG1(EE) is there any way to tell if using a container will be considered stealing? I'm trying to figure out some convenient places to stash items in the early game and it seems like some chests are free to use once I unlock them (like the chest in the corner of Friendly Arm) while others alert the guards.

I never knew you could stash stuff. Modern gaming sensibilities have imprinted a lack of persistent loot in my brain.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Jolene posted:

I never knew you could stash stuff. Modern gaming sensibilities have imprinted a lack of persistent loot in my brain.

Well... loot isn't exactly persistent. Some containers won't despawn and others will. Good luck figuring out which is which!

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
I've never had a container despawn. The only problem you might have is stashing stuff in an area you're not able to return to later.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Suspicious posted:

I've never had a container despawn. The only problem you might have is stashing stuff in an area you're not able to return to later.

You need to be wary of ones in areas that have multiple instances, like the De'Arnise Keep. Anything you stash before beating Tor'Gal will be gone afterwards. I'm not 100% on any others but there are probably a few.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
What do you ever need to stash in an Infinity Engine game? I've only ever had problems carrying all the loot out of a dungeon to sell, if that. Weight is generally the limit, not inventory space spread across six characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Arivia posted:

What do you ever need to stash in an Infinity Engine game? I've only ever had problems carrying all the loot out of a dungeon to sell, if that. Weight is generally the limit, not inventory space spread across six characters.

You're not carrying enough wands.