Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

get that OUT of my face posted:

when i was growing up, i was diagnosed and re-diagnosed by psychological professionals way too many times for me to count. that's probably why i don't like labeling myself with my diagnoses. it blows my mind that people not only willingly embrace a label when they think it applies to them, but actually try and seek it out

a person is too complex to fit into a few checkboxes

:same: and :agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

becoming a checkbox gives a clear ideal for someone who's struggling with ambiguity in their identity

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Frog Act posted:

this reminds me of a book I once read that started out great with a discussion of how the US army has hosed over the ecology of multiple reservations with reckless abandon, going through case studies of depleted uranium, industrial pollutants, abandoned bases, and other more general ways the uniformed services have specifically hurt native interests

the second half of the book asserted that because Native warfare was a spiritual experience conducted with deference to the earth mother, native shamans today had a magical understanding of ecological pain that made them both exceptional victims and exceptional warriors, the ultimate victim of the military industrial complex, inherently martial but felled by the soul sucking modernity of contemporary warfare or whatever

it was basically a good idea and instinct done in a way that was racist and insane, just like this

yeah the canadian army asked a first nations community for some land in south western ontario for an army base in ww2 and said they'd give it back after the war and just...never did.

incidentally, it had some of the nicest beaches in the area on lake huron.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Prav posted:

becoming a checkbox gives a clear ideal for someone who's struggling with ambiguity in their identity

Solid identity is a fake idea

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

crazy cloud posted:

Solid identity is a fake idea

we change every day and so do our ideals. but in every instant they're fixed for that moment

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Prav posted:

we change every day and so do our ideals. but in every instant they're fixed for that moment

Unsupported claim. A nice religion if you believe in it, but no factual basis

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

oh gently caress off

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Prav posted:

what on earth does this mean

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Woozy posted:

that right now you are you, and you have an identifiable and fairly concrete identity for the moment. tomorrow, it will be a little different. but that doesn't mean you're not who you are now, now.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Woozy posted:

The self is void and clings to anything resembling the promise of solidity or even temporary continuity, but there is no self in actuality with any characteristics to speak of. The illusionary self comes up with all sorts of creative deflections and coping mechanisms.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the illusion is real

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Prav posted:

the illusion is real

No refunds

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I'm gay

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

in this instance?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Me too but only for a few minutes this morning.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

get that OUT of my face posted:

when i was growing up, i was diagnosed and re-diagnosed by psychological professionals way too many times for me to count. that's probably why i don't like labeling myself with my diagnoses. it blows my mind that people not only willingly embrace a label when they think it applies to them, but actually try and seek it out

a person is too complex to fit into a few checkboxes

It's really nice to be able to describe the things going on with you even broadly with a couple words

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/Tri_Becca90/status/1143265475561791488

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmqVyw5EzOY

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

lmao

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

immensely pro-click

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

yo dude pancake palooza just retweeted us with the suicide prevention hotline! lit!

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Art House Politics

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
that was good

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
hey you tryna hit this juul

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It's really nice to be able to describe the things going on with you even broadly with a couple words

I use my name for this

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Gender and age swapped photo of me, my sister, and my brother

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

https://mobile.twitter.com/rysimmons/status/1144283018825277440

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Holy poo poo

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I use my name for this

Saying "Patrick" does notntell people I'm talking to about lgbt stuff that I'm enby and pan and gray ace

My name also isn't actually Patrick but you get my point

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
"it's hosed up that people want to use language to describe their world and invent words to do so as needed" is pretty nuclear given the entirety of language

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

holy loving poo poo

I was gonna go with like mastercard or something but I still got blown away

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Lmao this is art

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

cool dance moves posted:

Lmao this is art

Sandwich art, to be precise

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I expected literally anything but this.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I was expecting Gerber or something

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

I'm glad commercial advertising has transcended wokeness and become pure nonsense

*dramatic music plays as we watch a puppy grow up in a loving family until finally the boy who became a young man gives it one last belly scratch as it is put down*
*its an ad for Cheez Whiz*

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

cool dance moves posted:

I'm glad commercial advertising has transcended wokeness and become pure nonsense

*dramatic music plays as we watch a puppy grow up in a loving family until finally the boy who became a young man gives it one last belly scratch as it is put down*
*its an ad for Cheez Whiz*
Tim and Eric imitates real life, or is that the other way around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I am absolutely into commercials as surreal shaggy dog jokes