Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Xpost: And that's all the Chaos Marines from Shadowspear after these 5. Just the Master of Possession to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

EvilBeard posted:

From Amazon descriptions, a package is 4.2 oz. You may have gotten too much product.

Yeah lol, they sent me an entire *box* of 4 oz packages. Guess I am probably not going to need to buy milliput in the forseeable future.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yeah lol, they sent me an entire *box* of 4 oz packages. Guess I am probably not going to need to buy milliput in the forseeable future.

Enjoy your putty.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Jesus, is Citadel's greenstuff just insanely overpriced or did someone at the Amazon warehouse gently caress up and send me too much Milliput? I ordered an $8 package of Milliput thinking it was going to be roughly the same size as the green stuff packages they sell at hobby shops, and now I've got 2.5 pounds of this stuff. I mean I'm not complaining, I'll find a use for it all eventually as long as it has a decent shelf life, but that seems like a lot.

Sounds like there was a mistake, but miliput IS cheaper than green stuff.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Enjoy your putty.

I've never used it before, so this actually works out since I'm probably going to waste a shitload of it trying to figure out what the hell I'm doing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I added up all of the money i've spent so far this year on miniatures, paints, and other supplies for miniatures. Why did I do that? :cripes:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
1 of 5 on the Blanche Bois done

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

richyp posted:

1 of 5 on the Blanche Bois done

That OSL is awesome and is inspiring me to quit procrastinating and finally try it, is there a tutorial you recommend?

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

PinheadSlim posted:

That OSL is awesome and is inspiring me to quit procrastinating and finally try it, is there a tutorial you recommend?

Thanks. I wrote up a Tutorial a while back: https://www.goonhammer.com/beer-bristles-episode-1-20-minute-osl-baharroth-blue-and-you/

Since then I've found thinned Incubi Darkness works really well as the "Darker" light areas. Thin it with water to the consistency of water and carefully stain the areas you want to tint. You'll also need to make sure that the tinted areas are lighter than the original colour otherwise you're darkening the area as apposed to lightening it with a colour (It sounds obvious, but it's the hardest bit to pull off). In the case of this guy I actually made the leg with the bandages darker on the inside (where the shadow would be) before staining it with incubi and hitting the sharp edges with Baharroth Blue.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I said come in! posted:

I added up all of the money i've spent so far this year on miniatures, paints, and other supplies for miniatures. Why did I do that? :cripes:

Sounds like a good opportunity to get reacquainted with your backlog.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I'm at $78 spent this year.

and for that $78, forge world sent my order twice.

So I'm actually at $0, technically.

edit: I lie, I also bought 3 Raphael paint brushes.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I don't want to talk about how much I have spent.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
I just spent close to £200 on contrast paints and bloodbowl teams.

Still hasn't arrived yet, left to think of ways to do Goblin skin.

My friend did squig handlers in straight plague flesh and that looks really good but I was thinking maybe do a thinned layer of ork flesh first to have a slightly greener tone.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have a tutorial for that dryer sheet technique someone posted here?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I haven't spent any money on miniatures or supplies this year. They have just magically appeared in my house with no action on my part. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

In things I did do, I finished up a battlewagon last night:

Orks and grot were done with contrast paints. Grot rigger was made from a night goblin fanatic with a head from the gretchin box.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I was doing so well January, February and March... at $0. Then I hosed it up in April with "Buy all them Flesh Eaters!"

Edit: I am up to 250 miles on my bike in the last 30 days, so that's cool. (Up from 0 miles in the previous 20 years. )

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah, I keep ducking in on Warlord sprue sales and poo poo. And now that I'm finishing up the last couple of German vehicles I have, I keep finding myself looking at the M3 Stuart platoon and lingering over the "Add to Cart" button before returning to my senses.

The struggle is real.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I just got back into the hobby this year, and while I have been doing OK on not buying too many new minis... I did get myself the entire Scale 75 line.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Yeast posted:

I'm at $78 spent this year.

and for that $78, forge world sent my order twice.

So I'm actually at $0, technically.

edit: I lie, I also bought 3 Raphael paint brushes.

I’m at $80 for warhammer this year because I went to a bring and buy event and a guy sold me both of these for $80.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Zuul the Cat posted:

I’m at $80 for warhammer this year because I went to a bring and buy event and a guy sold me both of these for $80.

Rob Perkins is an idiot.

Nice work.

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

I said come in! posted:

Now divide that total by the number of games you've played to see how much it's cost you per game :homebrew:

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

I've never used it before, so this actually works out since I'm probably going to waste a shitload of it trying to figure out what the hell I'm doing.

I've been playing around using Milliput with some blue stuff to make some simple press moulds. You can use it to duplicate simple pieces or parts of larger models for things like basing. I made some fancy turn counters for Warhammer Underworlds for me and my buddies.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Psyber Spine posted:

I've been playing around using Milliput with some blue stuff to make some simple press moulds. You can use it to duplicate simple pieces or parts of larger models for things like basing. I made some fancy turn counters for Warhammer Underworlds for me and my buddies.

I'm super envious of these! How did you make the mold? I've been trying to make activation token myself, but my sculpting skills are poo poo-tier.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I prefer not thinking about how much money I spend on dollies, because that lets me pretend I'm a responsible adult, who can be trusted with money.

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

Electric Hobo posted:

I'm super envious of these! How did you make the mold? I've been trying to make activation token myself, but my sculpting skills are poo poo-tier.

Haha mate same! I tried sculpting them out of greenstuff, carving them out of foamcore, carving them out of rubber. They all looked crap.

In the end I traced the symbol from one of the cards in Inkscape and used my cutting machine to cut the symbols out of 160 gsm card. I stacked them in three layers to get the right thickness and stuck them either side of a two pence piece. When I made a mould out of this all the paper got stuck to the blue stuff and destroyed the master. The mould still worked fine but maybe a coat of PVA glue would stop this happening as the paper wouldn't be as porous.

I made a two part mould out of blue stuff. It's pretty easy stuff to use. Just make sure the water is hot when you use it. Here's a tutorial.

Marzipan Pig
May 5, 2019

God, I'm tired
I think you guys must have different imperial knights to me - I had the parts to build every gun but only one part to attach the arm to the body, and I accidentally glued it to a single gun instead of the body.

I haven't bought anything this year but I do have... several thousand pounds worth of miniatures sat gathering dust.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Psyber Spine posted:

Now divide that total by the number of games you've played to see how much it's cost you per game :homebrew:

You can’t divide by zero.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Psyber Spine posted:

Haha mate same! I tried sculpting them out of greenstuff, carving them out of foamcore, carving them out of rubber. They all looked crap.

In the end I traced the symbol from one of the cards in Inkscape and used my cutting machine to cut the symbols out of 160 gsm card. I stacked them in three layers to get the right thickness and stuck them either side of a two pence piece. When I made a mould out of this all the paper got stuck to the blue stuff and destroyed the master. The mould still worked fine but maybe a coat of PVA glue would stop this happening as the paper wouldn't be as porous.

I made a two part mould out of blue stuff. It's pretty easy stuff to use. Just make sure the water is hot when you use it. Here's a tutorial.
So I just need a cutting machine :v: The hard part for me is getting the piece that I make the master mold from. I guess I need to find a guy with a cutter or a 3D printer.

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

Electric Hobo posted:

So I just need a cutting machine :v:

You could try tracing the symbols onto thicker card and cutting them out by hand instead. My machine can only reliably cut the thin card so I built up multiple layers. You could just do one thick layer.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

inscrutable horse posted:

I prefer not thinking about how much money I spend on dollies, because that lets me pretend I'm a responsible adult, who can be trusted with money.

At dinner my wife brought up, in a very serious tone, that we really should budget more and make sure we're putting aside money so I can buy more warhammer models and supplies because it makes me happy and she was worried I wasn't financing my hobby properly to get the most out of it.

I understand she's being nice and all but she's playing with fire.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Psyber Spine posted:

You could try tracing the symbols onto thicker card and cutting them out by hand instead. My machine can only reliably cut the thin card so I built up multiple layers. You could just do one thick layer.

That might work, I'll give it a shot.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Harvey Mantaco posted:

At dinner my wife brought up, in a very serious tone, that we really should budget more and make sure we're putting aside money so I can buy more warhammer models and supplies because it makes me happy and she was worried I wasn't financing my hobby properly to get the most out of it.

Your wife sounds awesome.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Harvey Mantaco posted:

There goes the Juice funds

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

Sounds like a good opportunity to get reacquainted with your backlog.

I don't even really have a backlog. I paint everything I get before moving onto the next thing. :toot: Although I have two more orders coming in the mail and then i'm gonna give it a rest for awhile and save money.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm obviously doing something wrong with my Contrast paints. I was at the local game store today and the guy showed me some goblins and genestealers he just slapped some paints on. Rich, vibrant, deep colours.

And here's my Horror.

It's more white than blue. Am I not shaking the paints enough or is it the white primer?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Some contrasts give much heavier coverage than others. That blue is supposed to look like that, it's honestly more of a really cool ink effect.

E: assuming that's aethermatic blue

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It is.

And what the hell is the logic with that :psyduck:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Give it a second pass with the same color to bring it out more. I did the same with Guilliman Flesh to make it pop more.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Marzipan Pig posted:

I think you guys must have different imperial knights to me - I had the parts to build every gun but only one part to attach the arm to the body, and I accidentally glued it to a single gun instead of the body.

I think we've just been bad at explaining what we've been talking about. As far as I can remember, there is only "hinge", or arm-to-gun attachment thing for each arm. But if my memory serves me correctly, it was easy enough to magnetize your way around that issue.
Either that, or I had intended to clone that part as well v:v:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Der Shovel posted:

It is.

And what the hell is the logic with that :psyduck:

Thats supposed to be a magic or Icy blue. I think most people do blue horrors in Talassar blue? Or maybe Ultramarine blue.