Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yes, we invaded Afghanistan to go after the Saudi Arabian leader of Al-Queda, who planned terror attacks funded by Saudi Arabia, and 15 out of 19 of the hijackers were from Saudi Arabia.

I can see the clear line of reasoning here.

Speaking of the cost of lies...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Remember that time Saudi Arabia threatened to do 9/11 to Toronto on Twitter

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

CainFortea posted:

Yes, we invaded Afghanistan to go after the Saudi Arabian leader of Al-Queda, who planned terror attacks funded by Saudi Arabia, and 15 out of 19 of the hijackers were from Saudi Arabia.

I can see the clear line of reasoning here.

Speaking of the cost of lies...

But, al qaeda was in Afghanistan. This is not a fact in dispute and it is some bizarre revisionism to suggest otherwise.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Zoran posted:

Remember that time Saudi Arabia threatened to do 9/11 to Toronto on Twitter

Yeah lol

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

El_Elegante posted:

But, al qaeda was in Afghanistan. This is not a fact in dispute and it is some bizarre revisionism to suggest otherwise.

Yeah there's a reason why most of the world was fully onboard with joining the US in going into Afghanistan, but once Bush shifted to Iraq his "coalition of the willing" shrank to Tony Blair and John Howard desperately slobbing at his balls.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah there's a reason why most of the world was fully onboard with joining the US in going into Afghanistan, but once Bush shifted to Iraq his "coalition of the willing" shrank to Tony Blair and John Howard desperately slobbing at his balls.

You.

Forgot.

POLAND!!!!!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Zorak of Michigan posted:

If terrorists successfully and intentionally destroyed a nuclear plant and spread radioactive material across a wide area, hawks would term it a use of WMDs by terrorists. US doctrine if attacked by WMDs has been to respond with nuclear weapons. That always assumed the WMD attack came as part of an existing war, so the US response to WMD attack by terrorists would be hard to predict. Bad as the US response to 9/11 was, an extra dimension of nuclear uncertainty would be "out of control" by any standard.

I honestly don't think breaching a reactor core would have necessarily provoked a stronger response from the US, just because the war fever was insane as-is. There's been people who occasionally suggest that if Bin Laden had holed up in Pakistan we wouldn't have gone in because Pakistan has nuclear weapons, but I'm pretty sure in that moment the only countries who we wouldn't have invaded/attacked to go after him would have been either Russia or China.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

El_Elegante posted:

Al-Queda is an international terrorist orginization. This is not a fact in dispute. And it is some bizarre revisionism to suggest otherwise.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hey I read The Bear and the Dragon, Tom Clancy assures us that if the US ever went to war with China (to protect Russian oil interests!) it would be pathetically easy to clown on the Chinese who would just splutter impotently before the good Christian population of China overthrew the CCP over forced abortions.

The scary part is that apparently Tom Clancy got WAAAAAY weirder after 9/11 and a book like The Bear and the Dragon would be considered relatively sane by comparison.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Jerusalem posted:

Hey I read The Bear and the Dragon, Tom Clancy assures us that if the US ever went to war with China (to protect Russian oil interests!) it would be pathetically easy to clown on the Chinese who would just splutter impotently before the good Christian population of China overthrew the CCP over forced abortions.

The scary part is that apparently Tom Clancy got WAAAAAY weirder after 9/11 and a book like The Bear and the Dragon would be considered relatively sane by comparison.

Ironic, given that the current political situation is the start of every 90's Tom Clancy novel: a secret cabal of Nazis has taken over the American government in order to force a war with [INSERT CURRENT US BOOGEYMAN].

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

CainFortea posted:

Al-Queda is an international terrorist orginization. This is not a fact in dispute. And it is some bizarre revisionism to suggest otherwise.

Please point out to me where I suggested otherwise.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Edit: never mind, just not gonna touch stupid people's poop. I retract it all. Bin Laden was never born in Saudia Arabia, the hijackers were all born in literally any country but Saudia Arabia, and Saudia Arabia has literally never supported Al-Queda with anything ever at all. My bad, I was trying to revise history.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 24, 2019

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
The meltdowns are supposed to happen in the reactor core, friend.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

TV IV > Chernobyl - "The thread is in full meltdown!" "Not great. Not terrible."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Ironic, given that the current political situation is the start of every 90's Tom Clancy novel: a secret cabal of Nazis has taken over the American government in order to force a war with [INSERT CURRENT US BOOGEYMAN].

I heard one of the later stories features a secret terrorist infiltrator in the White House, only that wily President Ryan gets the drop on him by tossing him a football, causing him to dive aside in a panic going,"BY ALLAH NO MY HANDS CANNOT TOUCH THE FILTHY SKIN OF A PIG! :gonk:".

I'd kind of like to read that book, but only if it comes with a flashing neon sign attached that says,":siren: THIS IS WHAT TOM CLANCY ACTUALLY BELIEVES :siren:"

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Who was the crazy pseudo-tom clancy author that wrote a post 9/11 novel about al qaeda going around abducting and raping co-eds and only a surly ultraviolent exmarine could stop them, only the marine was also really into rape and said that the only real crime that the terrorists were doing was raping americans, and the women were still super horny despite all the rape and became a harem for the marine as he hunted down (and raped) more terrorists?

i never read the novel, but I remember it had a reputation around here way back in the day

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I heard one of the later stories features a secret terrorist infiltrator in the White House, only that wily President Ryan gets the drop on him by tossing him a football, causing him to dive aside in a panic going,"BY ALLAH NO MY HANDS CANNOT TOUCH THE FILTHY SKIN OF A PIG! :gonk:".

I'd kind of like to read that book, but only if it comes with a flashing neon sign attached that says,":siren: THIS IS WHAT TOM CLANCY ACTUALLY BELIEVES :siren:"

Boomers had their brains soaked in so much lead it's hard to fathom today.

If there is ever another nuclear disaster in the west we can just send in boomers in underpants. I don't think they will notice anything with all the residual lead in their bodies.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Who was the crazy pseudo-tom clancy author that wrote a post 9/11 novel about al qaeda going around abducting and raping co-eds and only a surly ultraviolent exmarine could stop them, only the marine was also really into rape and said that the only real crime that the terrorists were doing was raping americans, and the women were still super horny despite all the rape and became a harem for the marine as he hunted down (and raped) more terrorists?

i never read the novel, but I remember it had a reputation around here way back in the day

I have never read this book. I can say with absolute authority that it was John Ringo.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

CainFortea posted:

I have never read this book. I can say with absolute authority that it was John Ringo.

:stare:

quote:

The central hero, Michael Harmon (A.K.A. Mike Jenkins, A.K.A. Ghost), is a self-proclaimed sadist, repressed rapist, former United States Navy Boatswain's Mate 1st Class, and a trainer of US Navy SEALs.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Ha. Nailed it.

90% of his stories contain poo poo like that.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
If you’ve never read this thread, you are in for an incredible treat.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Matthew (?) Bracken Let's Reads in TFR are also pretty good. I couldn't force myself through Ringo though.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

CainFortea posted:

Ha. Nailed it.

90% of his stories contain poo poo like that.

And the other 10% are even weirder. He wrote an entire series where society has evolved into a Star Trek like utopia where trans(gender/human/species) people were the good guys and changing your body was as easy changing a computer program. Then an evil fundamentalist group takes over the government and locks everyone into whatever body they were inhabiting at the time. The entire society gets stuck in feudal tech levels and the only two that can save them are a dude seriously into SCA blacksmithing and a USMC cosplayer.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

And the other 10% are even weirder. He wrote an entire series where society has evolved into a Star Trek like utopia where trans(gender/human/species) people were the good guys and changing your body was as easy changing a computer program. Then an evil fundamentalist group takes over the government and locks everyone into whatever body they were inhabiting at the time. The entire society gets stuck in feudal tech levels and the only two that can save them are a dude seriously into SCA blacksmithing and a USMC cosplayer.

There are two series i've found where it's not as weird, and whatever crazy right wing crap can be skipped over without losing the story.

And one of those series is based on someone else's world, and the other is co-written with another author.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Is John Ringo the guy whose daughter secretly took over writing duties and turned out to be much more right-wing than he was? Or was that some other thriller author I'm remembering?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Eau de MacGowan posted:

This sounds ripe for a Verhoeven type Starship Troopers treatment

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Is John Ringo the guy whose daughter secretly took over writing duties and turned out to be much more right-wing than he was? Or was that some other thriller author I'm remembering?
No, that’s William Johnstone. He wrote men’s adventure novels, not dumb as rocks far right mil SF/rape fantasies.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

The football thing is from The Teeth of the Tiger, where the protagonists take out Muslim terrorists shooting up a mall. As one of the terrorists lays dying, a character places a football in his hands as a final gently caress you. It reads like a weird post-9/11 wish fulfillment fantasy.

The secret infiltrator is from Executive Orders, and they get the drop on him by swapping out his bullets with duds. That book's got plenty of wackier poo poo in it, though, like President Ryan showing live footage of the Iranian leader's house getting blown to poo poo during a press conference that the leader himself is watching while inside his house about to get blown up.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
https://twitter.com/PIXELATED__CAT/status/1143299641712218113

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I really hope we see some Reactor #4 or Guys Who Touched Spicy Rocks/Looked Directly Into Hades costumes during the Halloween season this fall.

Some parent will dress their kids as Legasov or Shcherbina or something. Lil’ Shcherbina with a busted rotary phone.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm just gonna walk around naked with a miners cap on.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

spankmeister posted:

I'm just gonna walk around naked with a miners cap on.

Hell, why wait for Halloween

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

El_Elegante posted:

One of you is wrong.

I think you missed that key word "IF"

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

TigerXtrm posted:

What baffles me is the thought process where hijacking planes and flying them into skyscrapers in the hopes of collapsing them is not getting 'out of control'.

Because the destruction is consolidated to those places, you know, rather than spreading unstoppably across the globe

CainFortea posted:

Edit: never mind, just not gonna touch stupid people's poop. I retract it all. Bin Laden was never born in Saudia Arabia, the hijackers were all born in literally any country but Saudia Arabia, and Saudia Arabia has literally never supported Al-Queda with anything ever at all. My bad, I was trying to revise history.

Hey, US soldiers and British soldiers fought along side the Nazis, guess Britain and the US were secretly chummy with ol' Adolf.
Seriously dude, just because people were citizens of X doesn't mean X is a major or even minor player in disaster Y
By the way, the US funded and supplied arms to the same dudes when Russia was stomping through, so I guess that means the US was part of Al Queda

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jun 25, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SocketWrench posted:

By the way, the US funded and supplied arms to the same dudes when Russia was stomping through, so I guess that means the US was part of Al Queda

This thread is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

SocketWrench posted:

I think you missed that key word "IF"

No, I didn’t. The second post says IF airliners struck nuclear plants nothing would happen. How dumb are you?

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

so uh maybe it's time to bring up the massive explosion that just happened in Philadelphia https://6abc.com/new-photos-show-tank-that-exploded-at-philadelphia-refinery/5361978/

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

the escape goat posted:

so uh maybe it's time to bring up the massive explosion that just happened in Philadelphia https://6abc.com/new-photos-show-tank-that-exploded-at-philadelphia-refinery/5361978/

Five injuries. Not great. Not terrible.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

El_Elegante posted:

No, I didn’t. The second post says IF airliners struck nuclear plants nothing would happen. How dumb are you?

If they managed to 9/11 the reactors. I think it's pretty simple. I never said they could or couldn't, but if they could

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Jet fuel can't melt steel containment vessels