Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
osamu dazai is incredible. no longer human really stayed with me, found a lot in common with the author.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

osamu dazai is incredible. no longer human really stayed with me, found a lot in common with the author.

Yeah, I remember liking No Longer Human when I read it 12-13 years ago, but that's all I remember about it. I read so many books during that period of my life (roughly one a day) that a lot of them blur together. I was also a pretty bad alcoholic during that time, which didn't help my long-term memory much! Good times, good times...

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
Cross post from the magazine thread:

I discovered the Trailer Park Boys in early 2010 when I rented the 2nd movie from a grocery store Redbox because it looked funny. After watching it and finding out it was based on a TV show, I bought a DVD set of the first 7 seasons and binge-watched them all.

In October of that year I saw that the main 3 guys (Julian, Ricky, Bubbles) were going to be doing some sort of performance at the Palace of Fine Arts in SF (or "Frisco," as the natives call it). The venue was seriously undersold (maybe 1/3 full?), so my friend and I moved up to the 2nd row and had a grand ol' time.

Anyway, part of the act was that Ricky had a book where he wrote down everything he knew so that he wouldn't forget. They had a few photocopies of the prop for sale after the show and I bought one (along with a belt buckle bottle opener). Here it is:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Perkele!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That was a lot of money back then, confirm/deny?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jerry Cotton posted:

That was a lot of money back then, confirm/deny?

Based on a quick Google, $1 in 1973 would be about $5 today, if that's the time and amount you were referring to.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I wasn't familiar with this word, so I looked it up last night and became enlightened with a newfound knowledge of Finnish profanity. Hooray for personal mental growth and a larger lexicon of curse words and mean-spirited slurs!!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Saw this at work today. Ya'll might have seen this before since apparently theres been a shitload of different editions.

Chapter 4!!!

The Q&A section has some important questions too

I am now ready to do the flower baby making sex

Jake Mustache
Feb 7, 2017

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I want this.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I haven't read this one so I don't know if it's wonderful and it probably isn't weird, but I thought the title was pretty wonderful.

Dicks - Biographies of great men elevated to statuehood

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Found these today, I've only paged through them but so far they seem pretty interesting.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

Found these today, I've only paged through them but so far they seem pretty interesting.

Please post pictures of any good stuff from these! If nothing else, I'd like to see the covers. That is a nice score.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Here's an exciting find, a Liberace program signed by Lawrence Welk!!

Sudbina
Mar 17, 2009

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I've heard of Yukio Mishima (particularly his suicide by sword), and thought I'd read a couple of his books 10-15 years ago, but it turns out I was thinking of Osamu Dazai, another famous Japanese author who killed himself at a young age.

Gustave Doré rules.

Goddamn sex blimp.

I love the artstyle.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Please post pictures of any good stuff from these! If nothing else, I'd like to see the covers. That is a nice score.

Sure, here's the covers--if I see anything amazing inside, I'll take some pics and post as well! They're all in really good shape for being ~50 years old.

and here's two interesting ads from the back covers as well:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

Sure, here's the covers--if I see anything amazing inside, I'll take some pics and post as well! They're all in really good shape for being ~50 years old.

and here's two interesting ads from the back covers as well:

Those are cool. Old soviet propaganda magazines are pretty interesting. Wikipedia says Sputnick "was intended to be a Soviet equivalent to Reader's Digest." I saw that and felt obligated to add it here for some reason.

Some new books:

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Watergate criminal E. Howard Hunt wrote a sleazy crime novel called House Dick in 1961. The original is rare and prohibitively expensive, but the stellar Hard Case Crime imprint republished it a few years ago:

I finally found a copy of this for cheap:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

After I posted the comic "Sex Blimp" from a 1999 issue of Motorbooty in the magazine thread, I finally learned who drew it:

I promptly ordered a handful of his books, and wish I had found out about these sooner, as they are hilarious!! I have no idea how this guy slipped under my radar all these years, especially since I've adored some of his work for two decades. I have no excuse.

This isn't a book, but I'm posting it anyway:

I have a few different versions of the classic 70's "Hang in There, Baby!" posters with cats dangling from tree branches, but I've never seen this raccoon variation.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I've been looking for a nice hardcover copy of this book for years, and finally found one for a reasonable price on ebay. The seller did nothing to protect the book during shipping, so it arrived all banged up with the dust cover badly torn. I'm not total stickler for having my books in perfect condition or anything, but I want to get what I paid for. Now I have to go through the hassle of returning the loving thing and resuming my search for a nice hardcover copy. First world problem for sure, but it's still irritating.

Case in point, I also received this book today, and got exactly what I paid for:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Seeing as that is a Paladin Press book I'm assuming the revenge tactics are full of wildly illegal things.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Is there a word for when the author writes their own blurb on the cover?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I used to work for an insane person at a used book store (but I repeat myself). Whenever we got a Paladin Press book, the owner would take it to the print shop next store to have an illegal copy made, then sell the original for stupid collector money on the internet. Wouldn't be surprised if the print shop employees made copies of How to Make Your Own C4 Explosives for themselves, too.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Seeing as that is a Paladin Press book I'm assuming the revenge tactics are full of wildly illegal things.

It's mostly dumb jokes and petty pranks, very similar to the George Hayduke books from Loompanics. Paladin Press is generally known for their humorless murder manuals, but they always had a lot of overlap with Loompanics, and republished a lot of the Loompanics back catalog when that wonderful publisher shut down.

I bought it because I love the cover. My lovely work scanner failed to capture the true dayglo splendor:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I used to work for an insane person at a used book store (but I repeat myself). Whenever we got a Paladin Press book, the owner would take it to the print shop next store to have an illegal copy made, then sell the original for stupid collector money on the internet. Wouldn't be surprised if the print shop employees made copies of How to Make Your Own C4 Explosives for themselves, too.

I used to work as a printer from my teens until my very early thirties, and I always enjoyed making bootleg books and other fun stuff. I never sold that stuff (who would buy it?), but there was a large market for trading in the zine/ weirdo book/ self published/ small press community (if you could call it that). It was sort of like a cheapo physical Pirate Bay. Good times.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

Is there a word for when the author writes their own blurb on the cover?

I keep trying to think of something clever, but it's too late in the day for that.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I picked up a few things at a flea market yesterday:

I was hoping Huggy Bear would be featured in this story book, but no suck luck:

My big score wasn't a book, but I'm posting it here anyway because it's rad. An autographed picture of Donna Douglas (Ellie May) from The Beverly Hillbillies, complete with a bible verse!!

FYI:

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 3, 2019

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I had this book in my Amazon cart for a long time, but I just never got around to including it with one of my book orders:

On Saturday I noticed that it had gone out of print, and now copies are selling for well over $100. I hate it when that happens. Missing my window of opportunity to buy a book I want (at a reasonable price) drives me nuts. I should probably seek therapy.

Anyway, I started trying to find a cheap copy elsewhere on the internet, and bought one through one of my anarchist bookstore sources, but it turned out they couldn't find their copy, so they cancelled.

I don't even really know why I'm posting this other than to give internet strangers a window into the mind of a world-weary book-hunter. It wouldn't bother me so much except that the cover is really something special and I want it on my shelves.

Happily, the whole thing is on archive.org:

https://archive.org/details/tk-Technological-Slavery/page/n1

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

That is glorious!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I haven't been finding many good books lately, but here's two recent pickups I was happy with:

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Great times.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

wa27 posted:

I haven't been finding many good books lately, but here's two recent pickups I was happy with:

I want to read all of these.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I picked up my mail this morning and received some new books:

First things first, I got a replacement for the aforementioned book:

Another fine book from Holloway House:

Another book about the 80's "Satanic Panic":

Miscellaneous:

John Taffer from Bar Rescue unintentionally amuses me. There is a new spin-off series called Marriage Rescue where he tries to save broken couples. It is incredibly stupid, and I enjoy it.

Finally, as a birthday present to myself, I splurged and paid upwards of $15 dollars for this 8.5 x 11 glossy headshot of Joey Buttafuoco, as well as his autograph to someone named Michael:

Totally worth it.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Anti-communist pamphlet from the early 70's:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Another book about the 80's "Satanic Panic":

I picked this up a while back. I don't think I read all of it, but the chapters I read were interesting enough. I might poke at it again.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
a friend gave this to me a while back. it isn't as weird as other books posted, but it's a nice little time capsule of mst3k history:

kevin in the trench

mike's jack perkins makeup

one of the door sequences as it was being built

greebling the bridge set

poor mike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I own the MST3K episode guide, I have it in a huge plastic bag because it’s falling apart from the many times I read it over the years. The back copy suggests buying two and boy were they right!

To give you an idea of when this was published there’s a page in the back asking “whither season seven?”