Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

TorakFade posted:

Here, this is just about what I was trying to say with my thousand words post above :v: and I kinda blame myself but would like to get out of that and play against people of similar skill to mine so we can have actual back-and-forth battles and improve, it's hard to improve when you barely realize what happened that made you die.

I don't really have the time or inclination to become a tryhard and spend all my free time playing this in order to get better, and I don't want to suddenly jump to the top of every leaderboard, just play the game and improve "dynamically" rather than forced repetition of 97 duels with people that swat me off like I'm a mosquito, 2 duels with people that are only slightly better or slightly worse than me where I can learn a lot more, and 1 duel where I just do a morph and an accel, and two hit kill the guy that panic parries.

Naw I'm not talking about the really good players themselves, it's that it seems in every game they all stack on one team. My issue is every map one team is getting curbstomped and even if I can hold my own in a 3v1 I can't even get that. Alternatively (and not really cause I almost always switch) I'm on the stomping team which is 6 guys in a mob all trying to get the kill on the 1 guy and hitting each other, it's just not fun.

timn posted:

As many chokepoints as crossroads has, the fact that the entire vertical space right down to the ground counts as the point makes it infeasible to actually lock the place down. The tight space is also a great example of how firebomb spam ends up being a liability to both teams.

And once again, the ammo chests have a significant global cooldown timer meaning actual spammers are going to have a good deal of down time. Try it yourself sometime. You'll be spending most of your time waiting on the chest or finding something else to do that isn't firebombs.

Not that firebombs can't do a great job denying area at the right place at the right time. That's what they're there for. They're just hardly the persistent insurmountable threat that some people make them out to be. I get that it can be frustrating to have your options unexpectedly limited in moment to moment gameplay, but that's one of the few things which makes the game more interesting than repeatedly mushing blobs of sword people together.

They might be fair in the sense the fire cuts both ways, but dying over and over to fire because the map is swamped in it is just not fun at all, regardless of whether it's "balanced".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

timn posted:

As many chokepoints as crossroads has, the fact that the entire vertical space right down to the ground counts as the point makes it infeasible to actually lock the place down. The tight space is also a great example of how firebomb spam ends up being a liability to both teams.

And once again, the ammo chests have a significant global cooldown timer meaning actual spammers are going to have a good deal of down time. Try it yourself sometime. You'll be spending most of your time waiting on the chest or finding something else to do that isn't firebombs.

Not that firebombs can't do a great job denying area at the right place at the right time. That's what they're there for. They're just hardly the persistent insurmountable threat that some people make them out to be. I get that it can be frustrating to have your options unexpectedly limited in moment to moment gameplay, but that's one of the few things which makes the game more interesting than repeatedly mushing blobs of sword people together.

I never argued that they were overpowered or even strong, I argued that it makes it unplayable. For both teams. No one can move anywhere and it sucks.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Pattonesque posted:

I feel like firebombs rarely have a legit impact on whether the game is won or lost but they do end up being a "you have to stop playing the game for 10 seconds" button

This is exactly my sentiment. Everyone is forced to wait before they can continue to enjoy the game. There's no counterplay outside of 'just avoid this area'. Even if you have fireproof, you don't want to walk through it, it just stops you from instantly dying if you touch it.

Firebombs are great for when the engineers start playing fortnite minecraft bullshit, or finishing off destruction objectives. But in that case just increase their structure damage and decrease their person damage.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, its gotten to the point where i'm even annoyed when i'm winning and my own team is hucking fire because I can't continue mowing people down, because there is fire in between me and the enemy and even with fireproof I am walking into a 1v5.

On a subject of actual, massive annoyance though, long spears should not be as good as they are up close. I can understand stab spam with a short spear being difficult, but the long spear can stab fast enough to be really loving annoying and its actual historical counter of getting up in the guys face doesn't stop them from stabbing, which is a shame. I'd take "spears are way more dangerous from afar if they're less dangerous up close" if they needed to balance it or whatever.

Also let me brace a spear against the ground to gently caress over a horseman tia.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
the best part about frontline and how this game gives you money/levels is that i dont think winning has any real bearing on if you will get more money or not. if im not having fun within the first 3/4 deaths i will usually just move on unless the match will be over within the next couple minutes.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

dogstile posted:

Yeah, its gotten to the point where i'm even annoyed when i'm winning and my own team is hucking fire because I can't continue mowing people down, because there is fire in between me and the enemy and even with fireproof I am walking into a 1v5.

On a subject of actual, massive annoyance though, long spears should not be as good as they are up close. I can understand stab spam with a short spear being difficult, but the long spear can stab fast enough to be really loving annoying and its actual historical counter of getting up in the guys face doesn't stop them from stabbing, which is a shame. I'd take "spears are way more dangerous from afar if they're less dangerous up close" if they needed to balance it or whatever.

Also let me brace a spear against the ground to gently caress over a horseman tia.

RE the weapon damages, especially pole-arms up close:
I think this needs work across the board. The really long handled weapons need to do less or even no damage with the haft, if the enemy is within a certain distance - almost like there's a benefit to facehugging polearm users.

I'm also the kind of lunatic that would like to see damage scaling from the actual force of impact - not an arbitrary 'hurt box' as they use now. Above a certain velocity - full damage. Below? Scale down to some lower value, maybe - or just a stagger.
Yes this would gently caress with dragging/accelerating - but that's somewhat the point.

Stabs also need to stop using the ENTIRE WEAPON as a hitbox, and only use the tip, and only in that thrusting direction. Consistently getting hit by people that stab past and swivel into you for the magic touch is a little frustrating - especially when I try to play up close and personal versus the long weapons (to no real effect).

You can witness this easily enough by turning on the weapon tracers and seeing what they are using to calculate impacts. The forward tip of your swinging sword is traveling -way- faster than the six inches right above your handguard, but they're all behaving the same so far as the impact and damage is concerned. Of course the way I'd go about it would over-complicate things and probably detract from the fun gamey-ness of it all, so I'm just throwing out dumb ideas.

Parachute posted:

the best part about frontline and how this game gives you money/levels is that i dont think winning has any real bearing on if you will get more money or not. if im not having fun within the first 3/4 deaths i will usually just move on unless the match will be over within the next couple minutes.

So far as I can tell the payout is pretty much a purely ' how long did the game go ' basis.
To make it even worse, I'm pretty sure it isn't just a linear X gold per Y minutes - it tends to reward more 'per minute' the longer it goes, up to I think I've seen nearly 700 gold payout for a round that ended with both teams in single digit life counts. I'm not certain on this one, mind.
Whereas a game that ends with one team steamrolling the other gives less than 200 gold.

From dicking around with my AFK farm server I can't figure out what the consistent scoring method for Horde mode is either. It isn't based on the number of kills, or even the number of waves you reach - and whether it's the player or bots doing the killing doesn't seem to matter either. On average the payout is between 10-50 gold for 1-3 waves, and can be 30 for killing 1 enemy, or 20 for clearing 3 waves. Yes the payouts get higher if you clear higher waves - but the actual value is some, to me, incalculable mixture of time spent and enemies killed, and probably involving the orientation of the moon and stars for some randomness.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 24, 2019

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Jarmak posted:

I've become convinced the maps aren't really significantly unbalanced and the real issue is the tryhards all stack on the team that's perceived to have the advantage on the map. If you play for a couple of rounds on a server you can almost always see them same 4-5 guys near/at the top that go back and forth every map joining the "better" team.

Literally the worst thing about this game at the moment is that almost every game is a curbstomp and it seems like every time I pick it up to play it's gotten worse.

I agree with you on this completely. While there are some slight imbalances on the maps, the bigger problem is experienced people slam picking whichever side they think is strongest and unbalancing things further. This can also be exacerbated because we don't know who is grouped up, a group of people playing together on a server is going to curb stomp for as long as they choose to play. I would love "solo queue only" servers where groups aren't allowed and where you can't pick your side, you just get randomly assigned. I'd play there exclusively.

As a self-proclaimed tryhard, sweat, or murderlord, I'm going to suck my own dick for a second and tell you all how good of a person I am because I will 100% switch to the losing team at every opportunity because I know how lovely it is to get curbstomped and I love trying to reverse that situation and make things more fun for people who were getting destroyed. This is when the Maul comes out and I start going plume hunting.

Borsche69 posted:

This is exactly my sentiment. Everyone is forced to wait before they can continue to enjoy the game. There's no counterplay outside of 'just avoid this area'. Even if you have fireproof, you don't want to walk through it, it just stops you from instantly dying if you touch it.

There is a counter-play, smoke bombs, but they suck because they put the fire out, but now you're trying to fight through smoke, which is not what you wanted, you just wanted to stop your feet from melting. If they don't want to nerf firebombs, they should add an item to specifically negate them, like a medieval water balloon, call them Sheep Bladders, make them 1 pt, and I'll carry one one every build just so I don't have to ever stand on one side of a bridge staring at my opponent for 10 seconds while we both twiddle our thumbs.

TorakFade, I have a couple tips for you in Frontline so as not to fall victim to murderlords. First is to have patience, make sure you've spawned with the biggest group of your teammates and go to the point with them. So much pain and suffering is caused by a team getting in staggered respawns and running into the fight piecemeal instead of taking 15 seconds to let another respawn happen and regroup for an assault. You're not going to convince your teammates to wait, but you certainly can. Second, start identifying the murderlords and stay away from them. I know that sounds idiotic and overly simple, but it works, clock their armor when you die to them the first time, and then make a point of not being within reach of them for the rest of the game, you won't be able to avoid them all the time, but you'll get some kills in before you run into one (same thing with Maul users, identify them in the scrum and never let them out of your sight). Also, if you feel bad about your place on the scoreboard, start carrying a med pack and drop it on every life. You'll be near the top of the scoreboard no matter what your k/d ratio is.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

cerebral posted:

I agree with you on this completely. While there are some slight imbalances on the maps, the bigger problem is experienced people slam picking whichever side they think is strongest and unbalancing things further. This can also be exacerbated because we don't know who is grouped up, a group of people playing together on a server is going to curb stomp for as long as they choose to play. I would love "solo queue only" servers where groups aren't allowed and where you can't pick your side, you just get randomly assigned. I'd play there exclusively.

As a self-proclaimed tryhard, sweat, or murderlord, I'm going to suck my own dick for a second and tell you all how good of a person I am because I will 100% switch to the losing team at every opportunity because I know how lovely it is to get curbstomped and I love trying to reverse that situation and make things more fun for people who were getting destroyed. This is when the Maul comes out and I start going plume hunting.

There is a counter-play, smoke bombs, but they suck because they put the fire out, but now you're trying to fight through smoke, which is not what you wanted, you just wanted to stop your feet from melting. If they don't want to nerf firebombs, they should add an item to specifically negate them, like a medieval water balloon, call them Sheep Bladders, make them 1 pt, and I'll carry one one every build just so I don't have to ever stand on one side of a bridge staring at my opponent for 10 seconds while we both twiddle our thumbs.

TorakFade, I have a couple tips for you in Frontline so as not to fall victim to murderlords. First is to have patience, make sure you've spawned with the biggest group of your teammates and go to the point with them. So much pain and suffering is caused by a team getting in staggered respawns and running into the fight piecemeal instead of taking 15 seconds to let another respawn happen and regroup for an assault. You're not going to convince your teammates to wait, but you certainly can. Second, start identifying the murderlords and stay away from them. I know that sounds idiotic and overly simple, but it works, clock their armor when you die to them the first time, and then make a point of not being within reach of them for the rest of the game, you won't be able to avoid them all the time, but you'll get some kills in before you run into one (same thing with Maul users, identify them in the scrum and never let them out of your sight). Also, if you feel bad about your place on the scoreboard, start carrying a med pack and drop it on every life. You'll be near the top of the scoreboard no matter what your k/d ratio is.

Yeah when I use tryhard pejoratively I mostly mean the people who try to win at the expense of the game being fun/actually showing themselves to be better. The people who only play for their kdr even if it's just a game of racing to club the seals before the 6 other guys.

I think whoever had the idea of chests not restocking firebombs was at least going in the right direction. Firebombs aren't bad in isolation, but get out of hand when the quantity scales up. I think the main problem is there's just too many of them being thrown around right now. And whether it's a point cost increase, no restocking, not letting you take more than one, or some other idea that would be the best avenue for change.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Jarmak posted:

Naw I'm not talking about the really good players themselves, it's that it seems in every game they all stack on one team. My issue is every map one team is getting curbstomped and even if I can hold my own in a 3v1 I can't even get that. Alternatively (and not really cause I almost always switch) I'm on the stomping team which is 6 guys in a mob all trying to get the kill on the 1 guy and hitting each other, it's just not fun.

Yes I agree, and that's exacerbated by the sheer scale of Frontline servers too. If you actually play on TDM servers, you usually end up with better balanced teams, a 12vs12 or 16vs16 with no objectives to give advantages to one team or the other makes for a pretty different game (and honestly should be the default mode IMO, with frontline, skirmish and horde as alternatives and scrap battle royale entirely :v: add duels and maybe an asymmetric mode like defend the castle or something in place of battle royale, why not)

cerebral posted:

Thanks, that's solid advice. Actually my scoreboard is fine usually because I prioritize objectives a lot, and tend to make a lot of points repairing stuff or capping points. My K:D ratio is what's abysmal :D also at times I'm really pissed off by the inability of most people to play as a team re: objectives, covering each other, not going off on their own to get killed... not that I don't fail at all that sometimes, but still :v: when you have a team that actually works togheter it's just awesome and with a good streak you can actually win a map pretty quickly and feel badass rather than it dragging on and ending on tickets (even if it's a curbstomp, it just ends a bit quicker but it's not as engaging) like it happens 90% of the time.

Jarmak posted:

Yeah when I use tryhard pejoratively I mostly mean the people who try to win at the expense of the game being fun/actually showing themselves to be better. The people who only play for their kdr even if it's just a game of racing to club the seals before the 6 other guys.

Oh God, I feel on the seal's end there :drat:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 24, 2019

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I don't think firebomb damage against players needs to be reduced. I'm at the front of this mob, holding my pitchfork up against how dumb I think firebomb spam is. But I've seen some really ingenious plays where the enemy cuts off my retreat at a chokepoint (or really moronic plays where a teammate is about to get stabbed and throws a firebomb at his feet, killing the guy who just lopped his head off, along with 3 of our teammates). Firebombs doing more damage against structures is a solid yes from me. I don't know what method the devs could use to make firebombs less of an annoyance. Maybe make them more expensive, so you can't have a loadout of 3? Would make people less willing to spam if that were the case.

As for spears, I definitely think there should be a "goldilocks"" range. If you're too near to an opponent, you do less damage. The further away you are, the closer your damage output gets to max. Cause it is a bit bizarro that a spearman can stab you just as fast when you're up in his face with no repercussion. Could also be carried over to massive 2H weapons. A zweihander shouldn't do max damage if you're right in the person's face and get hit with the blade just after the hilt, there really isn't that much force behind it. But if you get hit by the tip, of course it's gonna make you hurt bad. I think it'd make for more interesting and organic footwork / fighting. Polearm / spear users would need to be conscious of their distance, and try to maintain it at all costs. Smaller 1H weapon users would be zipping in trying to gain ground to effectively damage opponents.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

DarkDobe posted:

RE the weapon damages, especially pole-arms up close:
I think this needs work across the board. The really long handled weapons need to do less or even no damage with the haft, if the enemy is within a certain distance - almost like there's a benefit to facehugging polearm users.

I'm also the kind of lunatic that would like to see damage scaling from the actual force of impact - not an arbitrary 'hurt box' as they use now. Above a certain velocity - full damage. Below? Scale down to some lower value, maybe - or just a stagger.
Yes this would gently caress with dragging/accelerating - but that's somewhat the point.

Stabs also need to stop using the ENTIRE WEAPON as a hitbox, and only use the tip, and only in that thrusting direction. Consistently getting hit by people that stab past and swivel into you for the magic touch is a little frustrating - especially when I try to play up close and personal versus the long weapons (to no real effect).

You can witness this easily enough by turning on the weapon tracers and seeing what they are using to calculate impacts. The forward tip of your swinging sword is traveling -way- faster than the six inches right above your handguard, but they're all behaving the same so far as the impact and damage is concerned. Of course the way I'd go about it would over-complicate things and probably detract from the fun gamey-ness of it all, so I'm just throwing out dumb ideas.

Yeah, that's something I've been thinking about, too. But in the end it's a trade-off: The current system does have the distinct advantage that it's very reliable consistent: A given hit will always do X damage, and you will always need Y hits to kill against a full-health enemy. That actually contributes quite a bit to getting a decent rhythm going and makes the offensive gameplay feel quite nice once it clicks. Meanwhile in War of the Roses way back it could be a bit frustrating since just a tiny difference in hit location/angle (that you weren't always in full control of) could make a major difference in actual damage. So the current system is not entirely without merit.

But still, it'd be really interesting to see something like an alternative setting/mode where the damage actively scales with the weapon animation and impact location. Not just the thrust issue, but perhaps also less damage at the very beginning or end of a swing, as a trade-off to dragging/acceling. It'd also give the alternative choking grips a greater niche. Might be it turns out that doesn't really work out at all, but it'd still be nice to test.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

As much as I can understand the talk about changing the way damage and distance interact, I just don't think it's something I'd hold my breath for. That kind of change would create a massive shift in the way weapons are balanced and require an absolute ton of work and testing to get right, and from what I've gleaned about how the dev team works and what they're working on currently, I just don't see it happening.

Dev talk, the message from streams is the very very tentative timeline is to have a ranked 1v1 mode out and at least one of the two new maps (maybe both) by the end of next month. (They said a month from now several days ago). The ranked 1v1 mode is going to come out first as a proof of concept and then they will release a 3v3 and a 5v5 mode.

Mod tools are a longer term goal and there is no timeline other than they are working on it. They keep referring to "licensing issues", which I take to mean, "poo poo is complicated for reasons beyond coding, and we don't have a loving clue what the lawyers or business guys are doing or how long it takes to do whatever it is they do."

New and more diverse character models are being worked on, but no timeline. Weapon skins get released as the guy who works on them finishes them. It sounds like it's a happy surprise to everyone when he/she/them drops stuff out of the ether.

Take this all with a massive grain of salt, this is my interpretation of second and third hand information dropped by the Community Manager https://www.twitch.tv/jaxpc and various other streamers who claim to be in the know.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

1 3 and 5v5 ranked is going to be amazing. I wish there was a somewhat accurate and attainable method of normalizing skill in regular frontline servers, where you get thrown in with a bunch of other people around your skill level, then a smattering of players below skill level and above skill level. Would make for amazing battles, and if you ended up getting put in a server where you were at the bottom of the bellcurve, you'd get priority next time you queued to join a server with others your skill level. This is all wishful thinking though, I doubt it'd ever be done.

The games I play where I end up fighting guys my own skill level are the most enjoyable. When you die, it feels deserved. Same with when you win. But when you go up against a guy who just enters bullet time mode and does all this feng shui ancient shaolin technique attacks on you and kills you in two hits, it's just sort of "eh, that was... boring". The fights where you're going toe to toe and it's evenly balanced until he gets help or you get help are the most satisfying. But I should stop being so stubborn and going for the same demigods, I just always hope I'm the one that gets a stab in or fucks their attacks up so they can die.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Borsche69 posted:

Firebombs are great for when the engineers start playing fortnite minecraft bullshit, or finishing off destruction objectives. But in that case just increase their structure damage and decrease their person damage.

Smoke bombs smother fire, FYI

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Smoke bombs smother fire, FYI

If you use smoke bombs you are a total moron.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Qubee posted:

The games I play where I end up fighting guys my own skill level are the most enjoyable. When you die, it feels deserved. Same with when you win. But when you go up against a guy who just enters bullet time mode and does all this feng shui ancient shaolin technique attacks on you and kills you in two hits, it's just sort of "eh, that was... boring". The fights where you're going toe to toe and it's evenly balanced until he gets help or you get help are the most satisfying. But I should stop being so stubborn and going for the same demigods, I just always hope I'm the one that gets a stab in or fucks their attacks up so they can die.

I really hope they find a way to sort for skill level, because you're right, it isn't fun to feel like a toddler fighting a silver back. Even at my decent level of skill, I run into people who make me feel like an absolute child, and not an athletic, coordinated child, but a potato child. You miss one parry on some of these guys, and you miss because they're feinting with their body as well as their weapon and switching their angles of attack, and acceling said attack, and you just stand there helpless as they tear you limb from limb. Last night I got picked apart by a naked archer using a quarterstaff and it hurt, it hurt bad. But I fought him again, and I saw how good he was, I accepted that he was better than me, and probably always would be, I learned my lesson, and for the rest of the match I made a point to stab the back of his head every time someone else engaged him. No matter how good they are, they don't have eyes in the back of their head.

If you're facing a murderlord in a 1vX, resist the temptation to be yet another guy feeding him ripostes, instead feint a swing or a poke. You're not going to get the kill, but if you look close enough, you'll be able to see the look of disappointment on his face when his expected riposte disappears and he's left unable to bounce a swing into a new target and instead have to change his plan on the fly, his new plan probably consisting of, die horribly to the slashes tearing into his back.

cerebral fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 24, 2019

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Those people are few and far between right now, at least on Frontline servers. I'm somewhat good when I'm on point, and that's enough to consistently end up near the top of the scoreboard. Often there will be one guy with an insane score like 65-10, and then way behind that you have me and the rest of the decent players.

I could see that changing, by the time I finally stopped playing Chivalry 70+% of the people on any given server were hardcore veterans with over a thousand hours logged each. I actually recognized most players' names. I can agree that that's not a good thing.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Phlegmish posted:

Those people are few and far between right now, at least on Frontline servers. I'm somewhat good when I'm on point, and that's enough to consistently end up near the top of the scoreboard. Often there will be one guy with an insane score like 65-10, and then way behind that you have me and the rest of the decent players.

I could see that changing, by the time I finally stopped playing Chivalry 70+% of the people on any given server were hardcore veterans with over a thousand hours logged each. I actually recognized most players' names. I can agree that that's not a good thing.

I've noticed that there several flavors of 65-10 players. First there is the horse or ballista guy. gently caress him, he's a gimmick, dangerous, but avoidable. Then there is the Maul user, he's 65 and 10, but he's also only got 2 assists for the two times he bothered to try to stab someone. He's getting kill credit because every chest hit of his does 75 damage and that's enough for kill credit, so he probably should be more like 30-10-35. Scary, but not crap your pants scary. The scary dude is the guy who could be using a training sword and still go 65-10, see GIRU. Some of them are the ones wildly swinging big 2H weapons around and relying on people not knowing how to deal with it, but some of them are just so skilled and their reactions are so quick that when they fight everyone else is in slo mo. I'm in awe of people like that.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

If you fire 3 consecutive shots from a catapult, you should be disconnected from the server and inserted seamlessly into a single-player bot match, none the wiser.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

i run a 3/3/2 bastard sword, medic bag, medic bag with the friendly perk and i regularly make it into the top 5 with good bag placements.

you don't always have to be good at murder, but it helps

Qubee
May 31, 2013

cerebral posted:

Last night I got picked apart by a naked archer using a quarterstaff and it hurt, it hurt bad. But I fought him again, and I saw how good he was, I accepted that he was better than me, and probably always would be, I learned my lesson, and for the rest of the match I made a point to stab the back of his head every time someone else engaged him. No matter how good they are, they don't have eyes in the back of their head.

If you're facing a murderlord in a 1vX, resist the temptation to be yet another guy feeding him ripostes, instead feint a swing or a poke. You're not going to get the kill, but if you look close enough, you'll be able to see the look of disappointment on his face when his expected riposte disappears and he's left unable to bounce a swing into a new target and instead have to change his plan on the fly, his new plan probably consisting of, die horribly to the slashes tearing into his back.

This read like a story and it cracked me up so much. Thank you for your service, you didn't die in vain. Also good advice, didn't even occur to me to try feinting murderlords. Primate part of my brain just sees we outnumber him, so it yells "stab stab stab!". Do you play EU or US? Would be chill to hop in a frontline server with you sometime for shits and giggles (and a little bit of sweaty tryhard mode).

Azerban posted:

If you fire 3 consecutive shots from a catapult, you should be disconnected from the server and inserted seamlessly into a single-player bot match, none the wiser.

my fav are the cata users who miss every shot, and then finally manage to land a big bombah of a hit except it's all teamkills. then they cry when someone goes and teamkills them for being poo at the game. or those ballista dudes who camp the entire game on it and just miss every shot, adding nothing to the fight, or skewering a teammate. actually, now that we're on this topic: gently caress javelin users / archers who get point blank in a fight and then whomp you in the back instead of the enemy you're just about to kill. amount of times I'm swinging a killing blow only to die to one of these teammates, it's like ruined orgasm levels of horrible.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 24, 2019

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I play late night PST (after 9pm) on the West Coast servers. It's less fun to play with me than you'd expect because I can't use voice chat (much). I'm old and I have to play after my kid goes to bed, with my wife sitting next to me on my couch. If I talk too loud, he wakes up, and if I talk at all about video game strategy, she makes fun of me.

I have my computer monitor on a cantilever arm coming out from the side table, I recline my couch, use the armrest as my mousepad, watch Netflix in the background with my wife, and crush peoples' skulls until it's my bedtime. The armrest thing is less than ideal, and I have to use like 5000 dpi sensitivity because the area is so small, but I make it work, but that's also probably the reason I'm complete poo poo with throwables. Just clicking can throw my aim off too much to be good at it.

This is also part of why I hate horses so much, as I usually don't play with headphones on, so it's really easy for them to get the drop on me if I don't keep my head on a swivel.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Also "friendly" horses are just as loud as enemy ones, and horselords of both teams spend all their time riding in circles at random rather than contributing to the fight in some way, so the only way to know which is which is to physically turn and look at them. So you're fighting a guy and you hear hooves and have no way to know if it's an enemy coming to kill you or a friendly coming to steal your kill. Or, most likely of all, a friendly coming to teamkill you and then run into a bush and get murdered.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Qubee posted:

Also good advice, didn't even occur to me to try feinting murderlords. Primate part of my brain just sees we outnumber him, so it yells "stab stab stab!".

That's everyone's mindset at the beginning. Permit me to preach a different philosophy, focused on Frontlines scrums. If you want advice on another game mode, you need to find a different source of bullshit.

Everyone is kill-thirsty in this game. It's how they measure their success, and they are eager to get that kill, but that focus on killing hurts more than it helps. The only focus of a new player is that next button press that might get them a kill. But that button press to queue up an attack also leaves them vulnerable, so instead of automatically attacking, assess your situation. How many enemies are you facing? How many friendlies are beside you? Most importantly, are you at full health? If you're at a disadvantage in any of those categories, back up out of the fight for a second and apply a bandage. This will allow you a beat to reassess the situation, heal up, and step over the bodies of your fallen comrades back into the scrum, now facing enemies who have a lot less health than you do, and if you're really lucky, they've turned around and are moping up your buddies who survived the initial push and made it through their line. Suddenly, instead of going for that ONE kill, you're going to swing and take one, two, even three enemies out.

If you prioritize staying alive, or more accurately, weigh the risk of dying vs. the reward of getting a single kill, and shift your priorities towards not dying, you're going to end up getting a ton more kills.

My attempt at fortune cookie wisdom for stabby video game: A new player attacks hoping his swing will land. An experienced player doesn't swing until he knows his swing will land.

Orv
May 4, 2011
That would never fit in a fortune cookie.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I just run into the middle of the furball and move my mouse laterally as fast as possible while spamming lmb with my zweihander because lets face it, the objective needs to be cleared as rapidly as possible and the little back and forth dance people are doing as they look for openings while our ticket count withers away ain't helping.

Edit: Not being completely serious but riposte target switching in crowds is awesome because it works 99 percent of the time and hitting the dude who didn't realize he was on your radar is much easier than hitting the sword lord who just parries or chambers your every move.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 25, 2019

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I just run into the middle of the furball and move my mouse laterally as fast as possible while spamming lmb with my zweihander because lets face it, the objective needs to be cleared as rapidly as possible and the little back and forth dance people are doing as they look for openings while our ticket count withers away ain't helping.

Edit: Not being completely serious but riposte target switching in crowds is awesome because it works 99 percent of the time and hitting the dude who didn't realize he was on your radar is much easier than hitting the sword lord who just parries or chambers your every move.

I'm right there with you, but I wasn't there when I started, and people need a route on how to get there.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

cerebral posted:

I've noticed that there several flavors of 65-10 players. First there is the horse or ballista guy. gently caress him, he's a gimmick, dangerous, but avoidable. Then there is the Maul user, he's 65 and 10, but he's also only got 2 assists for the two times he bothered to try to stab someone. He's getting kill credit because every chest hit of his does 75 damage and that's enough for kill credit, so he probably should be more like 30-10-35. Scary, but not crap your pants scary. The scary dude is the guy who could be using a training sword and still go 65-10, see GIRU. Some of them are the ones wildly swinging big 2H weapons around and relying on people not knowing how to deal with it, but some of them are just so skilled and their reactions are so quick that when they fight everyone else is in slo mo. I'm in awe of people like that.

With all due respect (none), I'm not counting horse or ballista people. Those kills basically don't count. They're not really playing the same game.
Maul I have more respect for, it's at least slow enough that they need to know about timing, faking people out, and battle awareness. A good maul user will riposte slash into incoming enemies that aren't expecting it, for example. That sounds basic, but it's enough to set you apart from the pack.

But yeah, the crazy thing about Mordhau is that only 0.05% of the players are anywhere near the skill ceiling at this point. We haven't seen anything yet. I'm looking forward to getting my rear end kicked in new and imaginative ways that I didn't even realize were possible.

e: if I had any general advice of my own to offer, it'd be that Mordhau rewards and encourages aggression. At any given point, you should always be trying to (re)take the initiative or you will inevitably die. A wildly swinging idiot will often do better than a somewhat skilled player who is being overly cautious and defensive. I see this a lot. The best strategy is to constantly apply pressure and to do it in a non-obvious way, through feinting, accelerating, morphing, footwork, target switching, etc.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 25, 2019

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Phlegmish posted:

e: if I had any general advice of my own to offer, it'd be that Mordhau rewards and encourages aggression. At any given point, you should always be trying to (re)take the initiative or you will inevitably die. A wildly swinging idiot will often do better than a somewhat skilled player who is being overly cautious and defensive. I see this a lot. The best strategy is to constantly apply pressure and to do it in a non-obvious way, through feinting, accelerating, morphing, footwork, target switching, etc.

I think we agree, just you're talking about the tactics of a fight and I'm talking about which fights to pick and when to pick them. Once you're engaged, go hog loving wild, never give your opponent a chance to breathe let alone think. Go high, then combo low, mix your attacks up, and if possible, end every swing/poke in the face of someone other than who you were looking at when the swing/poke started.

My earlier advice may sound a passive, but it really isn't, it's more like, "Pick your spot, go apeshit, but don't go apeshit to the point you die first." Controlled aggression is how I play. I'm never NOT trying to take the point, but the way I play, I'm not aiming for a couple of kills to clear out the point and then respawn, I'm trying to kill everyone and be the last man standing on the point. I just find that happens more often when I temper my naked aggression and commit when I see an opening or have an advantage.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
What weapons does a level 2 helmet protect you from getting one-shot that a level 1 won't? I'm trying to decide if I can squeeze friendly onto my halberd build.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

What weapons does a level 2 helmet protect you from getting one-shot that a level 1 won't? I'm trying to decide if I can squeeze friendly onto my halberd build.

There's actually a fair number of them. Throwing axes, longbow shots, heavy handade, war axe, battle axe, halberd, zweihander, executioner, eveningstar, and bardiche. Would not recommend unless you are used to light fighting and dying very fast.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Captainicus posted:

There's actually a fair number of them. Throwing axes, longbow shots, heavy handade, war axe, battle axe, halberd, zweihander, executioner, eveningstar, and bardiche. Would not recommend unless you are used to light fighting and dying very fast.

Sallet it remains then! I like bandages too much to drop them.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Phlegmish posted:

Unless you're using a shield. If i'm getting into multiple fights vs wildly swinging people who are cutting down allies, I get the shield out because it even does cool poo poo like block weapons that have cut off a guys head next to me and gone straight into me. I get hit surprisingly often assuming my pubbie is gonna parry a swing so I don't need to block, then he dies.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Qubee posted:

my fav are the cata users who miss every shot, and then finally manage to land a big bombah of a hit except it's all teamkills. then they cry when someone goes and teamkills them for being poo at the game. or those ballista dudes who camp the entire game on it and just miss every shot, adding nothing to the fight, or skewering a teammate. actually, now that we're on this topic: gently caress javelin users / archers who get point blank in a fight and then whomp you in the back instead of the enemy you're just about to kill. amount of times I'm swinging a killing blow only to die to one of these teammates, it's like ruined orgasm levels of horrible.

I had one game on Camp where red was pushing to take River, and we'd just about capped it, and then a catapult idiot landed a six-person TK, and I'm almost entirely certain that one shot lost us the game, because we were never able to retake it

I told him as such in the team chat and he said "you're just mad because you suck" and while that may be true overall I was at the top of the leaderboard in this one so joke's on you, buddy!

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Pattonesque posted:

I had one game on Camp where red was pushing to take River, and we'd just about capped it, and then a catapult idiot landed a six-person TK, and I'm almost entirely certain that one shot lost us the game, because we were never able to retake it

I told him as such in the team chat and he said "you're just mad because you suck" and while that may be true overall I was at the top of the leaderboard in this one so joke's on you, buddy!

Just TK these people

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Vote kick everyone

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Borsche69 posted:

Just TK these people

it was too late! the damage had been done

still think this would be fixed by a National Gamer ID system where all bans are permabans but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Pattonesque posted:

it was too late! the damage had been done

still think this would be fixed by a National Gamer ID system where all bans are permabans but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This but when you die in game you did IRL

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Lol, this game is really something, although I guess im destined to never not run skinny or fat gingers with highest pitch foppy voice.

A question about training: is there a way to influence the equipment that bots use?

I found the commands for adjusting the bot difficulty, but its always the same peasant with a big axe that spawns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Nektu posted:

Lol, this game is really something, although I guess im destined to never not run skinny or fat gingers with highest pitch foppy voice.

A question about training: is there a way to influence the equipment that bots use?

I found the commands for adjusting the bot difficulty, but its always the same peasant with a big axe that spawns.

If there is, I don't know it, you just have to addbot and removebot until you get the one you want. Sometimes it feels like it doesn't cycle because you see the same bot twice in a row, but it does, you just have to keep doing it. It's a hassle, but it's the best we've got right now. You're ahead of me though, I didn't even know you could adjust their difficulty.

How do you do that?