Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I’m surprised they haven’t done an episode on star Citizen. There’s a treasure trove of crazy stuff in there. I can’t submit a document but I could dig up some gold for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

The Skeleton King posted:

I’m surprised they haven’t done an episode on star Citizen. There’s a treasure trove of crazy stuff in there. I can’t submit a document but I could dig up some gold for one.

:justpost:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

someone make a doc of my post history

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

I fully support this idea, but am also curious what would make someone unable to submit an F Plus doc.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Nikaer Drekin posted:

I fully support this idea, but am also curious what would make someone unable to submit an F Plus doc.
I can understand not having the wherewithal to put together a coherent Star Citizen doc that gives an actual picture of the drama around it. You'd need dozens of pages just to scratch the surface.

ShellGame
Apr 10, 2016

stack 'em to the heavens

Start a Google doc and drop what you mine in there. Share it with me, paratroopa5.1@gmail.com, and I'll do the arranging, rearranging, and grab some help. Since I'm used to picking through the dump, I'm much more willing to do the logistics of a doc as long as someone is willing to do the footwork.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I can understand not having the wherewithal to put together a coherent Star Citizen doc that gives an actual picture of the drama around it. You'd need dozens of pages just to scratch the surface.

Another option that Mix does frequently anymore is making two documents, one for the f plus, one for extra credit. So if there's too much for one doc that's always an option.

Ambious
Sep 29, 2016

Hail Hoots!
Isn't Star Citizen that crowd-funded space sim that never took off?

*googles quickly*

Looks like it is, more or less, what I remembered. What's in it that makes it so ... fplussy? (I apologize for that word)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ambious posted:

*googles quickly*

Looks like it is, more or less, what I remembered. What's in it that makes it so ... fplussy? (I apologize for that word)

people have, in some cases, spent thousands of dollars on pictures of ships they may one day get in game and whoo boy is sunk cost fallacy powerful.

Basically take typical video game fans, add a heavy element of 'the glory day is coming when this game that promised us everything possible will make good' and mix up 'also they keep asking us for more money and that's good, actually, I'm proud to give my bonus to these guys actively not making a video game at this point'.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

It also had Bitcoin levels of "this will exist and be perfect because I need to stick it to the people who make fun of me for believing in it," iirc.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Ambious posted:

What's in it that makes it so ... fplussy? (I apologize for that word)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CPAP WARRIOR

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Make sure to get that post from their forums asking if a rape mechanic could be implemented because it's a historical fact of piracy and needs to be in for "authenticity."

E: found it

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 24, 2019

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Wanted for: Classified craigslist ads requesting shoulder pads

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Don't forget The Fourth Stimpire.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ambious posted:

*googles quickly*

It’s a videogame in development that pulled in over 100 million in crowdfunding, which is stonking insane (and that number is pretty stale—I have no idea how much bigger its budget is right now). A big part of this crowdfunding came from individuals paying tens of thousands of dollars for ships* to use in the eventual game. Which, surprisingly, has made them a bit invested in the game and slightly hostile to anyone who points out the fact that the game is literally years behind schedule, has missed basically every one of its major announced deadlines since the project took off, that its scope has grown to an impossible size and is a software engineering nightmare for reasons such as its unfitting engine choice, and so on. As it creeps on forever, more and more backers have felt Doubts about star citizen’s success or woken up to the reality of it entirely, which has only exacerbated their conflict with the True Believers, and they are bitter.

There’s also this whole related mess with something awful and a guy called derek smart and it just goes on and on; to be honest I think it makes for better reading material than F plus episode material. (Look up Sunk Cost Galaxy on youtube for a good series in progress about the game’s timeline and ongoing drama from the perspective of a former investor.) It takes too long to even give the context for the whole fuckin’ mess that is star citizen that I don’t see a great podcast episode in it, even if the content is in there. It’s also still a mess-in-progress on which the dust has yet to settle.

*Ships are currently pictures of ships. Some assembly required.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Personally my favorite F plus material is the mystical and/or crazy people episodes like urthgame, the wizard forums, the crystal episode(s?), whatever the gently caress episode 304 was about, and so on. “people with too much disposable income who are mad about a videogame” is not the richest vein of laughs by comparison in my opinion and you have to dig way too deeply into star citizen for anything better than that to emerge

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The Wizard Forums!

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
One of my favorite "these people don't know how anything works but think they've got it all figured out" was the time-travel episode. It's like the magic crystal episode except with a dire misunderstanding of science.

Why did you choose the name Einstein!?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Well, you guys have given me the confidence. I'm going to work on making that Star Citizen document.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Well, you guys have given me the confidence. I'm going to work on making that Star Citizen document.

You’ll probably be better off looking for small islands of insanity and comedy rather than trying to tell the history of the game’s development in a doc, because while a bunch of dumb poo poo has happened, it’s (mostly) unremarkable dumb boring poo poo. The only thing that sets its story apart from any other struggling kickstarter game is the amount of money it has raised.

Ambious
Sep 29, 2016

Hail Hoots!
Oh wow that is insane. Can't wait!*

*Ironically this episodes will never get made and we'll all just keep dumping our hopes and dreams into it.

Ambious fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 24, 2019

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Doing a Star Citizen episode would be like doing an episode on Chris Chan, the cadre of insane internet stalkers who have been spending years exhaustively documenting and harassing everything about everyone involved has long since surpassed the fact that half a decade ago an edgelord on their forum talked about rape mechanics once. Like if nothing else the haters exposing the fact that one of the Star Citizen employees had done SFW fetish videos and linking her real name to it to try and publicly shame her for the crime of working on a video game should be enough to make the entire topic verboten for a group that is socially aware enough to avoid doing episodes on people like MRAs.

It would also be a repeat of the Patreon episode in that the game has been playable for years and is still being actively developed so it's just being weird and judgy about nerds with disposable income spending it on something that you personally don't like.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

lol

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sleeveless posted:

Doing a Star Citizen episode would be like doing an episode on Chris Chan, the cadre of insane internet stalkers who have been spending years exhaustively documenting and harassing everything about everyone involved has long since surpassed the fact that half a decade ago an edgelord on their forum talked about rape mechanics once. Like if nothing else the haters exposing the fact that one of the Star Citizen employees had done SFW fetish videos and linking her real name to it to try and publicly shame her for the crime of working on a video game should be enough to make the entire topic verboten for a group that is socially aware enough to avoid doing episodes on people like MRAs.

It would also be a repeat of the Patreon episode in that the game has been playable for years and is still being actively developed so it's just being weird and judgy about nerds with disposable income spending it on something that you personally don't like.

lol what are you talking about you crazy person, people dunking on SC fans posting weird 'my wife doesn't understand that I need to spend 5 grand on a picture of a space ship' posts is not any way like the obsession with a mentally ill dude or...whatever the hell that other bit was about.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

all right there's the first piece of content for your doc ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

more seriously though you would have to heavily curate a star citizen doc and pick only the things that are funny when all the context someone has is "star citizen is a game in development hell people have sunk too much money into"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

did one of your alts get banned why are back on your sleeveless account

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

I am specifically looking for stuff that is actually funny or weird. Stuff like the Fourth Stimpire and the rape pirates post. Nothing about the individual people and drama. I'm not going to say anything about the game's history other than what it is and where it's at right now.

Basically just explaining that it is a game lead by crish roberts of wing commander fame that raised over a quarter billion and promised to be the matrix but with space ships, makes money by selling in game items at absurd prices, has been in development for 7 years and has nothing to show for it but a buggy bare bones tech demo they call an alpha. It has gone through all kinda of poo poo like changing policies to avoid giving refunds to people, and has given up on having any real planned release date. It currently limps along, continuing to fleece money from its cult-like fanbase.

There you go, that's all you need to know to understand what it's about.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Also if I can't find enough to make an hours worth document I will just drop it.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Digirat posted:

Personally my favorite F plus material is the mystical and/or crazy people episodes like urthgame, the wizard forums, the crystal episode(s?), whatever the gently caress episode 304 was about, and so on.

That stuff is fun but it’s hard to find since they’re all in their own places with no overlap. You pretty much have to hope for a van to drive past you. Sometimes lightning strikes and you can get 25 pages of it, but not always. Plus the Wizard Forums went down and lost a lot of archived stuff, and everything new is super racist.

ShellGame
Apr 10, 2016

stack 'em to the heavens

Midjack posted:

You’ll probably be better off looking for small islands of insanity and comedy rather than trying to tell the history of the game’s development in a doc, because while a bunch of dumb poo poo has happened, it’s (mostly) unremarkable dumb boring poo poo. The only thing that sets its story apart from any other struggling kickstarter game is the amount of money it has raised.

I agree. And there doesn't have to be a linear narrative. Funny things to read are funny things to read.

Also if I can't find enough to make an hours worth document I will just drop it.

For real, if you give up, pass along whatever you can find. I've worked with some spotty content before, I'd like to take a crack at it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

One of my favorites was the site for documenting Real Superpowers which turned out to be full of kids just making up random bullshit superpowers that they had, and also had a web browser tip on every page for some reason. That stuff felt weirdly pure next to all the horrible poo poo they read during most episodes

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

That brand of teenage make-poo poo-up-itude reminds me of that one reading from really early on where it was like, a forum dedicated to the idea that Digimon are real.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Djeser posted:

That brand of teenage make-poo poo-up-itude reminds me of that one reading from really early on where it was like, a forum dedicated to the idea that Digimon are real.

What episode? I remember a friend of mine telling me about that so I wanna experience this and then link it to her.

ShellGame
Apr 10, 2016

stack 'em to the heavens

BaDandy posted:

What episode? I remember a friend of mine telling me about that so I wanna experience this and then link it to her.

It's very old. So old, HazyConspiracy was in it (Uncredited, but he's there.) Everyone forgets about Frostmon...

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
It has been [27] days since a new episode of The F Plus has been released.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Djeser posted:

It was a Yahoo! group, which is even better.

Ambious
Sep 29, 2016

Hail Hoots!
Finally cleaned my car so I could do this:

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

Benny the Snake posted:

It has been [27] days since a new episode of The F Plus has been released.

Dont they always take their time after a stream?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShellGame
Apr 10, 2016

stack 'em to the heavens
Yeah they do.