Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

RottenK posted:

his foreign policy is just as monstrous as obama's/bush's/clinton's/etc, but he's dumb and lazy so it fails

True, but I only care about measuring by results, regardless of intent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

caps on caps on caps posted:

She has to buy the hot dogs somewhere. It's completely normal for someone not to be able to afford the products they sell, so why would it not make sense if she gets some margin?

That or 40k is the minimum wage not average wage and that there minimum wage effectively doesn’t exist in Venezuela because of hyperinflation.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

dirty lousy tramp posted:

"this guy who found me out is the creep not me" is a bold strategy but it might work

Lmao Im the one who found the posts and found them in two minutes by searching to see if he quoted himself

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Noshtane posted:

Don’t worry, I don’t think anyone feel sorry for Maduro, him trying to starve Venezuela.

silly noshtane, i'm talking about juan guaido, who should spend the rest of his life in jail for treason :]

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
using a fake account to create fake support for your side and then getting mad at people who caught you red handed is pretty appropriate for pro-imperialism crew, IMO

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

RottenK posted:

i don't think that you should be sorry for greedy traitors that tried to get their country massacred

Eh, from reading that New Yorker piece I really get the impression that he’s just a dumb patsy. Read that article and tell me that’s a guy who understands the consequences of his actions.

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)

RottenK posted:

using a fake account to create fake support for your side and then getting mad at people who caught you red handed is pretty appropriate for pro-imperialism crew, IMO

baby's first psyop

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

fnox posted:

You're simultaneously bashing America for meddling in Venezuela's affairs and bashing America for not meddling in Venezuela's affairs. It's insane.

You bash America when they do rape and torture Nicaraguan children and assassinate healthcare workers, then you turn around and bash America when they don't prosecute financial crimes that occur on their own soil!

It's insaaaaaaane that you treat these two perfectly identical situations differently, really crazytown stuff.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

brugroffil posted:

Trump hasn't actually pulled out of Syria and does more drone strikes with less concern for collateral damage

Don’t forget going over Congress to sell arms to Saudi Arabia who then use them loose and easy in Yemen and soon Sudan, where SA is literally supporting the same faction that committed the Darfur Genocide.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Majorian posted:

Eh, from reading that New Yorker piece I really get the impression that he’s just a dumb patsy. Read that article and tell me that’s a guy who understands the consequences of his actions.

yeah it's adjusted my opinion of Guaiod's Stupid vs Evil proportion

maybe he's less crazed with opportunism, greed, and his ability to lead Donald Trump's gutted State Department around by the nose, and more just kinda a stupid flailer like most historical MUD leaders

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

GreyjoyBastard posted:

yeah it's adjusted my opinion of Guaiod's Stupid vs Evil proportion

maybe he's less crazed with opportunism, greed, and his ability to lead Donald Trump's gutted State Department around by the nose, and more just kinda a stupid flailer like most historical MUD leaders

The easiest possible interpretation is that guaido's push to the forefront was equipped by neoliberal interests that he self-selected for by being gullible enough to act as an agent for their agenda. It necessarily excludes anyone who would be smart enough to look at the current American administration and think "maybe I don't want to bet the horse on this particular group's backing"

His general haplessness is probably all about that.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Venezuela’s oil crisis destabilises Colombian black markets

quote:

The business was just as lucrative as trafficking cocaine.

When criminal gangs sold undocumented fuel on the black market in Colombia, they could net profits upwards of a thousand percent.

And the profits were there for the taking. In 2017, Colombian authorities estimated that more than 400 million gallons of petrol were smuggled into Colombia from Venezuela. Criminals involved in this black-market business could make fortunes on the illegal petrol trade. But that ended abruptly last month, when Venezuela's oil production was crippled and electricity outages forced South America's once-gleaming gem into darkness.

Police in Cucuta, Colombia say the crash in the illicit fuel trade left thousands of people whose livelihoods depend on the black market and informal economy unable to support themselves. It disrupted numerous local markets. And even more troubling, it created a new war between armed groups battling for control over two remaining smuggling markets. The first was exporting basic consumer goods such as food, diapers, tires, electronics and medicine into Venezuela. The second was helping demoralised Venezuelans escape the confines of their crumbling country.

Looks like Maduro's brilliant strategy to fight organized crime is paying off!

edit: I was trying to make to guess at what proportion of total Venezuelan gas was being smuggled out of the country, and I think it's more than 10%. That's effectively a huge subsidy on the Colombian economy generously provided by Venezuela.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 24, 2019

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Kavros posted:

The easiest possible interpretation is that guaido's push to the forefront was equipped by neoliberal interests that he self-selected for by being gullible enough to act as an agent for their agenda. It necessarily excludes anyone who would be smart enough to look at the current American administration and think "maybe I don't want to bet the horse on this particular group's backing"

His general haplessness is probably all about that.

Also the haplessness of the Trump admin who did decide to back him - I doubt they have a much more positive opinion of him than you do at this point.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Ex-Venezuelan oil minister asks U.S. court to set aside $1.4 billion judgment

quote:

HOUSTON (Reuters) - Former Venezuelan Oil Minister Rafael Ramirez asked a federal judge in Houston on Monday to set aside a $1.4 billion default verdict against him in a fraud suit brought by a defunct Houston oil company, according to court documents.
. . .
U.S. District Judge Lee Rosenthal issued the default judgment on Feb. 13 after Ramirez did not contest Harvest Natural Resources’ claims, according to an opinion accompanying the ruling.

Harvest’s suit claimed Venezuela had refused to allow the company to sell its assets in the country since 2012, leading it to lose $472 million. It accused Ramirez and others of seeking a $10 million bribe to approve the transaction.

is the court ruling Ramirez PERSONALLY owes the company $1.4 billion? :eyepop: He couldn't possibly have that much net worth could he? What with PDVSA being corruption free and all

Or at least I'd hope with even the Venezuelan government accusing him of corruption if he really had that much somebody would have taken away from him already

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Anyone know if joint ventures typically include terms and conditions for one party's exit?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Anyone know if joint ventures typically include terms and conditions for one party's exit?

Pretty much always. Which isn't to say it's easy to do it - there will be things there designed to protect the continuing party's interests (the lowest cost to comply with would be where a replacement party can be found who the co venturer agees is suitable).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Squalid posted:

Ex-Venezuelan oil minister asks U.S. court to set aside $1.4 billion judgment

is the court ruling Ramirez PERSONALLY owes the company $1.4 billion? :eyepop: He couldn't possibly have that much net worth could he? What with PDVSA being corruption free and all

Or at least I'd hope with even the Venezuelan government accusing him of corruption if he really had that much somebody would have taken away from him already

afaict he was the ringleader of the scheme and i can't quite tell if it's solely personal liability

quote:

Harvest’s suit claimed Venezuela had refused to allow the company to sell its assets in the country since 2012, leading it to lose $472 million. It accused Ramirez and others of seeking a $10 million bribe to approve the transaction.

also lol:

quote:

“Given that Ramirez was not properly served and that he lives in Europe out of the public eye, his default was not willful, and he has acted as expeditiously as he could to address the default in light of the issues caused by his being abroad,” a court filing said.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

zapplez posted:

This is pretty interesting video. This is a travel youtuber who just went to VZ and profiled his experience. Its a good video because this guy is just a travel vlogger and has no political blogging experience. Check out how the prices are as of June 2019. A loving hotdog is 10,000 bolivares. A hamburger is 25,000. The minimum wage for the month is 40,000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN5LZR4ejkg&t=499s

Also 1 USD gets you 6000 bolivares. Your earning power on minimum wage is like 6 bucks a month.

Second video in this series just came out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYVkFcWqcIo

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
Manuel Ricardo Cristopher Figuera, he former head of SEBIN who defected in April Just turned up in the US and has a lot to talk about.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.f3f644bb06d3

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
interesting read. comical series of fuckups from a guy whose job was to be able to do intel poo poo. laughing like hell that their codename for their US handler was "The Child Eater."

somebody knew who he was getting in bed with.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

interesting read. comical series of fuckups from a guy whose job was to be able to do intel poo poo. laughing like hell that their codename for their US handler was "The Child Eater."

somebody knew who he was getting in bed with.

Come now. It was a nickname like Cornelius Tacitus, or Tiny (for an exceptionally large fellow). The handler was probably known for feeding starving children. Who was this handler anyway?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

MullardEL34 posted:

Manuel Ricardo Cristopher Figuera, he former head of SEBIN who defected in April Just turned up in the US and has a lot to talk about.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.f3f644bb06d3

Is the whole, 'The Cubans and Lebanese are involved in Venezuela!' supposed to be damning in some way? It gets brought up constantly along side assurances that Maduro is isolated from the international community. Does it just play differently to a US audience?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Is the whole, 'The Cubans and Lebanese are involved in Venezuela!' supposed to be damning in some way? It gets brought up constantly along side assurances that Maduro is isolated from the international community. Does it just play differently to a US audience?

explaining why requires more detail and effort than it frankly deserves, but short answer yes, it plays differently to specifically conservative amurkans

edit fine i'll give the super-short version

- Cuba has been exporting communist revolution across the hemisphere and is on the brink of taking over Mexico
- the Hezbollah Stuff is pretty weird but venezuela is obviously a major hub of international islamic terrorism

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 26, 2019

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
It's amazing that world leaders are still afraid of Cuba, the island nation that's been under economic sanctions for three generations now , runs everything on a shoestring budget, and yet still has better life expectancy and access to healthcare for the poor than the US, and a way better maternal mortality rate than the US.

M. Discordia
Apr 30, 2003

by Smythe

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's a reminder that Venezuela is totally in thrall to an array of foreign interests, chiefly Russia and China, and the notion that reintroducing democracy and civil liberties would be bad because it would lead to the U.S. exercising influence over Venezuela is always something put forth in bad faith, as the people making the argument have no problem with Venezuela being a colony of the "anti-imperialist" bloc right now.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

M. Discordia posted:

It's a reminder that Venezuela is totally in thrall to an array of foreign interests, chiefly Russia and China, and the notion that reintroducing democracy and civil liberties would be bad because it would lead to the U.S. exercising influence over Venezuela is always something put forth in bad faith, as the people making the argument have no problem with Venezuela being a colony of the "anti-imperialist" bloc right now.

Are you suggesting that it is better to force Venezuela to associate with the US than allow them to seek alternative partners?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Are you suggesting that it is better to force Venezuela to associate with the US than allow them to seek alternative partners?

I think "partner" is a generous term, "patron" is probably closer to the mark. And all of them will eventually call in their debts.

I don't see one imperialist power as "better" to align with - they're all creatures of violence and capitalism. YMMV.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rust Martialis posted:

I think "partner" is a generous term, "patron" is probably closer to the mark. And all of them will eventually call in their debts.

I don't see one imperialist power as "better" to align with - they're all creatures of violence and capitalism. YMMV.

thank heaven that The Child Eater is doing such an excellent job fighting off imperialist Cuba

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

GreyjoyBastard posted:

explaining why requires more detail and effort than it frankly deserves, but short answer yes, it plays differently to specifically conservative amurkans

edit fine i'll give the super-short version

- Cuba has been exporting communist revolution across the hemisphere and is on the brink of taking over Mexico
- the Hezbollah Stuff is pretty weird but venezuela is obviously a major hub of international islamic terrorism

I find the Hezbollah stuff far more interesting viz a viz Maduro & Pals' potential involvement in organized crime and international drug trafficking. If they have any relationship it at all it would most likely be one of convenience, IE, the PSUV needs hard currency and Hezbollah needs some cocaine to sell, not some wingnut fantasy Breitbart headline like MADURO WELCOMES HASAN NASRALLAH TO BUILD ISLAMIC TERROR BASES IN SOUTH AMERICA!!!
Hezbollah has been involved in the glamour profession for a long time now.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 26, 2019

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
notice that wapo put this in the article about the hezbollah and cuba stuff:

quote:

El Aissami has publicly denied any wrongdoing. Neither he nor the other officials named by Figuera for this article responded to requests for comment submitted to Venezuela’s Ministry of Communications. The Washington Post could not independently confirm Figuera’s allegations.

so they have no idea either if this stuff is true, but are willing to publish anyway.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Second video in this series just came out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYVkFcWqcIo

Was pretty funny that he couldn't understand how a convenience store w/gas station works when gas is free/a loss-leader, and that it might be dickish to not buy anything from the store or tip the attendees.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Countries that defy us are mustdies. Why don't you understand this?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Its racism OP

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 1, 2019

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
well this sounds horrifying

https://twitter.com/ReutersVzla/status/1146829068329000960?s=19

quote:

GENEVA (Reuters) - Venezuelan security forces are sending death squads to murder young men and stage the scenes to make it look like the victims resisted arrest, the United Nations said in a report issued by its human rights chief on Thursday.

Government figures showed that deaths ascribed to criminals resisting arrest numbered 5,287 last year and 1,569 by May 19 this year. The U.N. report said many of them appeared to be extrajudicial executions.

Families of 20 men had described how masked men dressed in black from Venezuela's Special Action Forces (FAES) had arrived in black pickups without license plates. In the accounts, the death squads broke into houses, took belongings and assaulted women and girls, sometimes stripping them naked.

"They would separate young men from other family members before shooting them," the report said.
"In every case, witnesses reported how FAES manipulated the crime scene and evidence. They would plant arms and drugs and fire their weapons against the walls or in the air to suggest a confrontation and to show the victim had 'resisted authority'."

U.N. human rights chief Michelle Bachelet visited Venezuela last month and will present the report to the U.N. Human Rights Council on Friday.

The report said the killings were part of a strategy by the government of President Nicolas Maduro aimed at "neutralizing, repressing and criminalizing political opponents and people critical of the government", which accelerated since 2016.

Bachelet said in a statement that she had the government's commitment to work with the United Nations to resolve some of the thorniest issues, including the use of torture and access to justice, and to allow full access to detention facilities.

"I sincerely hope the authorities will take a close look at all the information included in this report and will follow its recommendations. We should all be able to agree that all Venezuelans deserve a better life," she said.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Sigh.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

cops... bad??

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
These death squads are obviously American plants made to make Maduro look bad.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

punk rebel ecks posted:

These death squads are obviously American plants made to make Maduro look bad.

Probably all white

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

It's appalling, but 20 deaths are still not the same as ~3,000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnox
May 19, 2013

Majorian posted:

It's appalling, but 20 deaths are still not the same as ~3,000.

quote:

GENEVA (Reuters) - Venezuelan security forces are sending death squads to murder young men and stage the scenes to make it look like the victims resisted arrest, the United Nations said in a report issued by its human rights chief on Thursday.

Government figures showed that deaths ascribed to criminals resisting arrest numbered 5,287 last year and 1,569 by May 19 this year. The U.N. report said many of them appeared to be extrajudicial executions.

How's 6000 sound? Let's give you the benefit of doubt. Let's say out of those who died resisting arrest, only 10% were extrajudicial executions. 600 deaths caused by government security forces executing people. You're still alright with that right? It's under 3000 after all, so we're still in the clear.

Should I maybe note that this number is 6 times higher than in the US, a country with 12 times the population?