Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Or if you think Krzanich was good feel free to explain why but no one I have ever met thinks that :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MaxxBot posted:

I mean if you think he's a bad source feel free to explain why.

Charlie is wrong a lot and has a huge hate boner against Intel for some reason. People will point out "yeah but he has sources see he was right about 10nm" and forget how many other doom and gloom predictions he whiffed on prior to that. I think just recently something he wrote about was proven wrong and he wrote up a "ok yeah I was wrong but actually technically I'm right because of reasons". Before Optane launched he went off on some rant about how it was completely busted, when there was a press day and he was left off the list of attendees he wrote an article about how Intel was trying to pool the wool over everyone's eyes with false benchmarks. Then actual people played with it and didn't report anything close to what he said he just moved on to the next topic. He also thought Optane endurance management was crap because he completely misunderstood what meta data is and how it's used

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Does that make Krzanich a good CEO though? I have more sources, Ashraf as I previously mentioned and a nanofabrication PHD friend, does anyone actually have pro-Krzanich arguments?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

MaxxBot posted:

I don't know the full story but I know that he tried to decrease R&D spending which is probably not a wise idea when you're an industry in the midst of this.

That is a cool chart, where’d it come from?

It’s interesting because where I work the Validation and Prototyping amounts are basically reversed and no I’m not bitter about those prototype (hw/sw co-verification as it is known) a-holes with their massive budgets and blowing it on frivolous poo poo like 4 ultrawide monitor setups no not jealous at all :sigh:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MaxxBot posted:

Does that make Krzanich a good CEO though? I have more sources, Ashraf as I previously mentioned and a nanofabrication PHD friend, does anyone actually have pro-Krzanich arguments?

No just that Charlie is the worst source for a take on Intel. You can get a ton of other anti Krzanich takes from better places. The only pro Krzanich person I've heard of is Jim Kramer which is a :lol:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

priznat posted:

That is a cool chart, where’d it come from?

It’s interesting because where I work the Validation and Prototyping amounts are basically reversed and no I’m not bitter about those prototype (hw/sw co-verification as it is known) a-holes with their massive budgets and blowing it on frivolous poo poo like 4 ultrawide monitor setups no not jealous at all :sigh:

It's from "International Businiess Strategies" I'm not sure how accurate the exact numbers are but the costs are definitely ramping up and number of fabs going down.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/272096-3nm-process-node

Khorne
May 1, 2002

MaxxBot posted:

It's from "International Businiess Strategies" I'm not sure how accurate the exact numbers are but the costs are definitely ramping up and number of fabs going down.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/272096-3nm-process-node
The comments on this article are worse than youtube. It's all weird conspiracy theories and jerking it to the military-industrial complex. And worse.

Malcolm XML posted:

Did anyone publically state the reason for the delays? Rumor is that the transition to cobalt hosed them but I don't have a good source for that.
It was a really ambitious node, right on the limits of what you can theoretically do without EUV.

The delays resulted in numerous refinements to 14nm, making 10nm struggle to compete with the very refined 14nm.

They didn't take the time to design new archs for 14nm, because 10nm was perpetually coming for the better part of a decade. This is Intel's biggest mistake in my opinion. They only very weakly adapted to the reality of the situation and tried to stay on an unsustainable course.

When you combine all of these things, 10nm is an expensive nightmare that only really would have worked if they could have gotten it to market a few years before EUV. Unfortunately, or fortunately if your 10nm node is a non-viable money pit, EUV is here.

I'm hoping the cobalt stuff pays off longterm on future nudes. It's actually pretty cool. It was probably part of their delays, because other fabs noped out of using cobalt like Intel is doing with their 10nm process.

I also get that it doesn't answer your question of exactly what went wrong. I'm not sure if the public knows exactly what went wrong with getting the 10nm fab production ready. Intel never hit good yields, and they have pretty much abandoned the node - to the point where they're just going to try and run whatever they can from a fab or two and are backporting some locations to 14nm and converting other locations to 7nm.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 20, 2019

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

iospace posted:

Curious as to what Krzanich did to Intel that hosed them. I've never heard this side of it!

Krzanich was great for the stock price but 10nm and the failure of intel modems is on him. So is their ill fated iot venture and the insane price they paid for mobileye. Oh ain't their attempt at becoming TSMC didn't pan out either.

The altera acquisition was good though.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Khorne posted:

The comments on this article are worse than youtube. It's all weird conspiracy theories and jerking it to the military-industrial complex. And worse.]

lol :holymoley:

quote:

There are some very interesting things going on in the defense industry. I suspect they became sick of buying commercial technology, which is immediately copied by everyone on the planet so now have their own R&D firms do all the work. Good for them, but not so good for consumers who are stuck with relatively slow CPUs (which have lots of cores and are great for multi-tasking, but not so great for quickly doing one task). Where our processors take energy conservation and multi-tasking into account, theirs are hard wired just to do one thing really really well. It gives them a huge speed advantage, especially in their top of the line equipment. I mean they don't give a drat if their chip can run a server or Windows 10. But when so few chips are sold, they become incredibly expensive, leading to 1/2 billion dollar radar units and such.

plz think of the gamers :qq:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Reads like something from slashdot circa 2002

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

the ads under "You might also like" on that site are incredibly horny and follow a few randomized formulas that become apparent after refreshing the page a few ties

im in awe after not really reading a tech thing like that in ages

gross

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

lockheed martin and their secret skunk works "555 chip" program, harvested from alien technology

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I clicked over to their story on PCIe Gen 6 and their chart is like, really bad

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/293451-pci-express-6-0-with-256gb-s-coming-in-2022

Should be GT/s not GHz, geniuses. And Effective Bandwidth is total bidirectional?

Also the year introduced is wrong for at least couple, POWER9s with Gen4 have been out since 2017, Gen2 was out in 2007.

Ugh, god. Not a single comment corrects anything, just talk about what is gonna be in PS5 :stare:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

They also left out massive x32 links from backplanes :getin:

(What a terrible chart)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Not to mention leaving out AGP... the major standard for add-in graphics between the ISA and the PCIe eras... :what:

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Paul MaudDib posted:

Not to mention leaving out AGP... the major standard for add-in graphics between the ISA and the PCIe eras... :what:

"Why should I get a motherboard with PCIe on it? What a scam, AGP is gonna be around for a while."

Me, buying the last generation of AGP graphics cards.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Paul MaudDib posted:

VESA Local Bus or gently caress off.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Centaur / VIA lives on: Zhaoxin has released the KX-6000 processor

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1155069.shtml

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Don Dongington posted:

VESA Local Bus or gently caress off.

It's all about EISA vs MCA.

God we take for granted today how much poo poo just is standardized and just works. The 80s and 90s were an absolute nightmare.

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010

Rastor posted:

Centaur / VIA lives on: Zhaoxin has released the KX-6000 processor

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1155069.shtml

Saw that today and found it super interesting. Is it a clone /heavily influenced by any existing (or past) architectures? Also lol that they already have 7nm on the roadmap for 2019, poor Intel.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Deathreaper posted:

Is it a clone /heavily influenced by any existing (or past) architectures?

Its an improved version/evolution of their previous WuDaoKou architecture which was claimed to be a totally homegrown Chinese x86 CPU that they were able to produce because they partnered up with VIA. The Zhangjiang was supposed to be the last VIA/Centaur x86 architecture.

I don't think anyone actually knows much about them yet. All we have is marketing mostly at this point. Or at least that is about all I know about them.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

K8.0 posted:

It's all about EISA vs MCA.

God we take for granted today how much poo poo just is standardized and just works. The 80s and 90s were an absolute nightmare.

You mean you don't like setting jumpers or DIP switches? You don't like dealing with IRQ conflicts?

Maybe you don't even like the original AT power connector, which easily allowed you to fry the motherboard if put on incorrectly?

:v:

3peat
May 6, 2010

He'll would freeze over if it weren't for global warming https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20190621PD205.html

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

3peat posted:

He'll would freeze over if it weren't for global warming https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20190621PD205.html

They must be going for the "their stuff is more expensive so it must be better" marketing plan.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Intel CPU and Platform Discussion: Harder, Faster, Keller

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

MaxxBot posted:

I don't know the full story but I know that he tried to decrease R&D spending which is probably not a wise idea when you're an industry in the midst of this.

I bet it slightly increased profits for at least two quarters though

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

suck my woke dick posted:

I bet it slightly increased profits for at least two quarters though

And remember, nothing past next quarter exists, so keep pumping those short-term profits!

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

DrDork posted:

And remember, nothing past next quarter exists, so keep pumping those short-term profits!

stock prices can only go up, its the new normal.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

MaxxBot posted:

Or if you think Krzanich was good feel free to explain why but no one I have ever met thinks that :confused:
you asked why i think Charlie sucks and i gave you the exact article that formed that opinion, a whiff of a hint of a rumor rounded up into "DECISION MAAAADE, 3 YEARS TOPS" that's yet to come true in any sense 8 years later. it's painfully obvious the ridiculous distortions, knowing or oblivious, that happened on that case to anyone who can, say, read benchmark results so just because something somewhere out of the spew lined up after the fact doesn't validate every lovely guess along the way

hth

stevewm
May 10, 2005

HalloKitty posted:

Maybe you don't even like the original AT power connector, which easily allowed you to fry the motherboard if put on incorrectly?

:v:

Fun fact... Dell used to use power supplies in their machines that where the standard ATX size and had the standard ATX connector. But the pinout was completely different from the ATX standard. So if you attempted to scavenge a power supply from such a machine, you would likely fry whatever motherboard you plugged the Dell power supply into.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

stevewm posted:

Fun fact... Dell used to use power supplies in their machines that where the standard ATX size and had the standard ATX connector. But the pinout was completely different from the ATX standard. So if you attempted to scavenge a power supply from such a machine, you would likely fry whatever motherboard you plugged the Dell power supply into.

When was this? I've never seen a Dell like that

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

redeyes posted:

I believe it was the clam-shell gens. GX150 up to maybe the GX600 series. This was Pentium 3-4 days, long while back.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
At some point they did start using standard ATX supplies and pinouts, this is my Optiplex 990 Minitower.

I hate, hate, hate messy cables.

The video card is an EVGA GT 1030 2GB, runs games better than you'd expect.

I pulled the ridiculous plastic shroud off to clean the heatsink and never reinstalled it because it's pointless on this card. It's the 02G-P4-6333-KR, 2GB GDDR5 model as shown here
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=02G-P4-6333-KR

If you look on YouTube for Optiplex Gaming PC you'll see there are quite a few of these out there, I paid $90 shipped for this bastard, it's an i5 2400.

The 2nd HDD is, in fact, held in there with three zip tie loops because I'm not paying for another tray/caddy for this machine.

Vanagoon fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 25, 2019

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
When I was doing network admin stuff in the early 00s our Dells were all proprietary pinouts.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

redeyes posted:

Was many years ago.. early Pentium days, before the introduction of the extra 12v connector. Machines from the very late 90s and into 2002 or so.

If you where hell bent on reusing the power supply, you could remove the pins and rearrange them into the standard ATX pin out. But further complicating things, they didn't always use the same colors as ATX either.

It went both ways too. You had to get a Dell power supply if yours died because regular ATX would fry your board!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, early ATX era i remember nearly every prebuilt having different power connectors or power supply specs and hating life. I remember some even shipped with both AT and ATX power connectors, but you couldnt switch between the two after it shipped and tons of people nuked their systems on em.

The worst i ever saw was a slim emachines (i think?) that had the goddamn power leads soldered straight into the board.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, Dells used to have proprietary ATX connectors. Then they nixed that after people who didn't *know* that tried replacing their OEM PSUs with regular ATX units and ended up bricking their machine. PC Power & Cooling sold specifically-modified PSUs that were drop-in ready for Dell OEM applications back before OCZ bought them. Someone must've advised Dell that they were unrealistically limiting the repair options for end-users post-warranty and leaving themselves open for a class-action suit. Then they started using atypical PSUs in some of their first/second-gen Alienware PCs with gigantic single connection connectors that were a bitch to disconnect and then unfurl.

Now I think they just use bog-standard ATX, but I do think they use a form of cable routing on some machines that make it so you pretty much have to disassemble everything to swap in a new unit.

This is the 'single-point' connector I'm talking about :

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

stevewm posted:

Was many years ago.. early Pentium days, before the introduction of the extra 12v connector. Machines from the very late 90s and into 2002 or so.

If you where hell bent on reusing the power supply, you could remove the pins and rearrange them into the standard ATX pin out. But further complicating things, they didn't always use the same colors as ATX either.

It went both ways too. You had to get a Dell power supply if yours died because regular ATX would fry your board!

Yeah, which was why you did the thing and bought a $2 ATX-to-Dell ATX adapter and saved yourself the headaches diagnosing dead Dell power supplies.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I had that on an HP Z400 too. They basically removed the 3.3V rail so they could push more 12V power using those pins... at the expense of PSU compatibility.

At least using a normal PSU wouldn’t blow up the board... just beep angrily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Paul MaudDib posted:

I had that on an HP Z400 too. They basically removed the 3.3V rail so they could push more 12V power using those pins... at the expense of PSU compatibility.

At least using a normal PSU wouldn’t blow up the board... just beep angrily.

HP proprietary connectors and non-atx mainboards are the bane of my existence. We e-waste hundreds of small form factor i7s every year, 4790s this gen, 6700s fairly soon - and unless you're willing to fork out hundreds (in this country) for a second hand or NOS mainboard, can find a used Dell workstation board, or want to chance it on AliExpress, they can't be turned into gaming machines. So we mostly just scavenge the ram, and all have overpowered NAS and media centres.

What a waste, HP.