Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I've found a new hobby for camp that contributes to nothing. Just run into the field with 0/0/0 and a billhook and fight the horsemen in open ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I really need to make a "billhook and box" class. Is it possible? gently caress if i know, i guess i'll check tonight.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

cerebral posted:

I think we agree, just you're talking about the tactics of a fight and I'm talking about which fights to pick and when to pick them. Once you're engaged, go hog loving wild, never give your opponent a chance to breathe let alone think. Go high, then combo low, mix your attacks up, and if possible, end every swing/poke in the face of someone other than who you were looking at when the swing/poke started.

My earlier advice may sound a passive, but it really isn't, it's more like, "Pick your spot, go apeshit, but don't go apeshit to the point you die first." Controlled aggression is how I play. I'm never NOT trying to take the point, but the way I play, I'm not aiming for a couple of kills to clear out the point and then respawn, I'm trying to kill everyone and be the last man standing on the point. I just find that happens more often when I temper my naked aggression and commit when I see an opening or have an advantage.

Oh yeah, totally. It wasn't really a direct response to what you were saying. I play the same way, if I see five of my teammates ganging up on one enemy, I will usually hang back. Either they don't need me to get the kill and then I'm just getting in the way, or the single enemy is really good, and in that case you're just making it easier for them by clustering together.

I also like to run away after some fights while going C3, so I can regen health. I have Tenacious on all of my builds. That's part of the reason why my K/D is usually pretty good, even if I don't get a ludicrous number of kills.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Commoners posted:

I've found a new hobby for camp that contributes to nothing. Just run into the field with 0/0/0 and a billhook and fight the horsemen in open ground.

seeing as armor is basically useless against a good shot from a horse I approve this

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Holy hell I thought I was getting good and I tried skirmish and now I know what people mean by murderlords.

Also they're all terrible loving people that seem to just enjoy trolling and making the game miserable for everyone but the 3-4 that are playing as luke skywalker.

Can someone explain to me morph timing? Cause It's it definitely causes a delay (looking at you maul morph that basically hits you from the stab before changing) but I keep getting people morph as I'm chambering and still manage to hit me before the swing I make to chamber lands.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

cerebral posted:

You're ahead of me though, I didn't even know you could adjust their difficulty.

How do you do that?

Would like to know this too! A quick Google search gave me nothing ..

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Jarmak posted:

Can someone explain to me morph timing? Cause It's it definitely causes a delay (looking at you maul morph that basically hits you from the stab before changing) but I keep getting people morph as I'm chambering and still manage to hit me before the swing I make to chamber lands.

If I understand your meaning, it sounds like you're trying to chamber too early. I don't believe there is any overlap between the window they can morph in and the window you can chamber in. So it sounds like you're attacking too early to chamber but not early enough to stuff them before their morph follows through.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

cerebral posted:

If there is, I don't know it, you just have to addbot and removebot until you get the one you want. Sometimes it feels like it doesn't cycle because you see the same bot twice in a row, but it does, you just have to keep doing it. It's a hassle, but it's the best we've got right now. You're ahead of me though, I didn't even know you could adjust their difficulty.

How do you do that?

Easy: 0 bot_difficulty 0
Normal: 1 bot_difficulty 1
Hard: 2 bot_difficulty 2
Expert: 3 bot_difficulty 3

The default is 0. So yes, we are both totally awesome for winning aganist them :)

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Jarmak posted:

Feinting adds an ~250ms delay to the next swing's startup. Morphing adds 0ms delay to the next swing's startup. However, you can feint up to the very end right before your attack is released. Morphing on the other hand requires you to morph significantly before you start releasing. As an example, I think on the zweihander the morph input window is ~431ms, the feint window is going to be ~650ms, and the first frame it could actually hit with a strike/stab is 820/780 ms. The first frame you can actually hit an actual enemy with a weapon (and not terrain or a target dummy) is significantly after the tracers start drawing and the weapon's windup stat. The window to chamber seems like ~334ms and very slightly longer than the 300ms parry window. A zweihander swing can be dragged to hit ~315ms later than an accel.

Against a zweihander regular strike, a last moment chamber is optimally input at that 820ms point so that you can chamber both drags and accels. If someone morphs this into a stab at ~431ms, they can definitely hit you in such a way that your chamber attempt can no longer chamber a weapon but their weapon is still hitting you before yours hits them.

You can of course deal with the morph on reaction by seeing the morph and inputting your own morph if you are fast enough to chamber their morph or just parrying the morph with your chamber attack. If you recognize their attack is going to hit you first and you can no longer chamber their attack, you have to morph your attack or parry.

In theory you might be able to deal with certain morphs on slower weapons like the zweihander by not chambering their morphs since there is about ~390-350ms between the latest they could morph and the earliest that their swing/stab will hit. I think because of netcode, human decision reaction times, and hard to tell animations, this is probably very difficult and would require lots of practice to try to pull off consistently.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

can you chamber a sideswing with a stab? cause I swear I've managed to do it a few times. some dude side swings at me whilst I'm in the process of stabbing, and I just aim at his tip and chamber it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I don't think you can, but you can Clash, which is kind of same thing but requires a lot more effort to pull off intentionally. It's like the opposite of a chamber, where you both connect at the end of your swings instead of the beginning. It stops both weapons, but allows you to combo as if your hit connected or whiffed, and it also doesn't cost stamina.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
i wish this game gave you xp/money based on your score because it doesnt matter if you get 1,000 or 7,000 points (like i did last night going like 8/8/4 lol) because it just matters how long you are in the game and that you make it until the end.

also that medic bag is just a point generating machine dear god. idk how many you can have deployed at a time but id like to think i heavily contributed to my teams victories by just stacking tons of medic bags on the top of the holdout in crossroads and javelining everyone within eyesight and attempting to kick everyone off the little thin platform red has to traverse.

edit: i think the medic bag will get a nerf eventually. either the duration it takes to heal, number of charges each bag has, or only being allowed to have 1 deployed at a time, because the only real downsides it has is that self-healing is nearly impossible unless you drop a bag beforehand you (usually) have to look nearly straight down to use it.

Parachute fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 26, 2019

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm running into a lot of people that are somehow stabbing me through a kite shield while i'm staring at them with it raised. Did someone work out how to gently caress over shields from the front?

Hope not, they were my go to for "i don't want to put much effort into 1v1's".

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

You can rotate around them on the weapon side and stab them pretty easily in 1v1s. You can also jump and stab them in the head from above the shield pretty easily.

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Yeah you can stab past a shield user and then drag the stab into them and bypass the shield if the shield user doesn't turn accordingly

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

have you seen my baby posted:

Yeah you can stab past a shield user and then drag the stab into them and bypass the shield if the shield user doesn't turn accordingly

Ah yes the magic 'sides of weapon count for stabbing' effect.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah dragging a stab into someone is really dumb imo. The jumps I get, its the ones where they stab past me and turn into me where I go "hold on a tick"

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
They already have a mechanic for reducing damage when a swing is dragged too much, they should just crank it up for stabs

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

all stabs are just blunt damage focused on a very small area

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

dogstile posted:

Yeah dragging a stab into someone is really dumb imo. The jumps I get, its the ones where they stab past me and turn into me where I go "hold on a tick"

This one doesn't bother me so much because it feels like an abstraction of stabbing from different angles (think like a hook versus a jab).

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

My favorite is dragging a stab through two or three people's heads standing side by side and looking at me.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Commoners posted:

My favorite is dragging a stab through two or three people's heads standing side by side and looking at me.

I just like hugging spearmen who BLATANTLY miss me with their stabs as I circle strafe them, but then getting hit around the time they start pulling the spear backwards because, oh, he turned.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jarmak posted:

This one doesn't bother me so much because it feels like an abstraction of stabbing from different angles (think like a hook versus a jab).

Shouldn't do nearly as much damage though. You've got far less force on the stab.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Rant time: If you get clocked in the head by the Maul guy on your team who is 56-10-0 by getting between him and his target, it's probably your bad, not his. If he says, "sry", that's him being polite, not an admission of guilt or a justification to suddenly start trying to team kill him.

Just in general, people need to stop trying to sneak past their teammates to get that one last stab in. It either ends up in them blocking their teammates' swings, feeding the enemy an easy riposte, and probably getting accidentally teamkilled.

Teammates trying to help and crowding me is absolutely the most infuriating thing in the game right now, and it's the one thing that there is no hope of ever fixing.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'd like to see something like a 20/24/26 range Frontline server, honestly. So many problems in this game are magically alleviated by not trying to max the player count.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

This is me salty on a 48 person server, I'd have to change my username to "Lot's Wife" on a 64 person server.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Goedendag to y'all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7bEsVJygyQ

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

cerebral posted:

Rant time: If you get clocked in the head by the Maul guy on your team who is 56-10-0 by getting between him and his target, it's probably your bad, not his. If he says, "sry", that's him being polite, not an admission of guilt or a justification to suddenly start trying to team kill him.

Just in general, people need to stop trying to sneak past their teammates to get that one last stab in. It either ends up in them blocking their teammates' swings, feeding the enemy an easy riposte, and probably getting accidentally teamkilled.

Teammates trying to help and crowding me is absolutely the most infuriating thing in the game right now, and it's the one thing that there is no hope of ever fixing.

Yeah, i'm usually trying to fight on the edge of a scrum for this reason alone. When I've timed my attack so its going to hit before the other guys and a friendly dude catches my sword for him because he's decided to charge in from behind, its real annoying. It's extra annoying because you usually can't even see what's blocking your blade either, they don't have to be on your screen

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Orv posted:

I'd like to see something like a 20/24/26 range Frontline server, honestly. So many problems in this game are magically alleviated by not trying to max the player count.

On the flip side 50 player skirmish servers are a ton of fun. I enjoy large skirmish servers much more than the 24player ones.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Is this a new weapon or just a skin? I'm Flemish so obviously I have to use this

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

dogstile posted:

Shouldn't do nearly as much damage though. You've got far less force on the stab.

I don't disagree but this applies to a lot of things that are perfectly deterministic right now. Case in point: the maul pops heads whether you put your whole body into the swing or decel it to the point it barely bumps you.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

dogstile posted:

Ordinarily I'd agree, but shields are such horseshit that dragging stabs around them are one of the extremely few tools you're given, and one that doesn't even work that well if the shield user has a modicum of awareness.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Phlegmish posted:

Is this a new weapon or just a skin? I'm Flemish so obviously I have to use this

Eveningstar skin.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
you should be able to slap a shield off of someones back exposing them to faster death. maybe you can, i dont know i just like to jump people and fight as unfairly as possible

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Borsche69 posted:

Ordinarily I'd agree, but shields are such horseshit that dragging stabs around them are one of the extremely few tools you're given, and one that doesn't even work that well if the shield user has a modicum of awareness.

Shield users have to give up a lot for the shield though. If they want killing power (mace) they need to significantly give up on range. If they want range it's going to take them a ton more hits to kill people. I'm ok with where they're at. I don't typically get into a fight with a shield user and think "bullshit" nearly as much as I do when someone has a long spear and has just unlocked their mouse wheel, with it spinning at 50000000 rpm or some poo poo.

Parachute posted:

you should be able to slap a shield off of someones back exposing them to faster death. maybe you can, i dont know i just like to jump people and fight as unfairly as possible

People barehanded should be able to grab them and throw them to the floor, as the shield on their back is an excellent handhold! :D

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

dogstile posted:

Yeah, i'm usually trying to fight on the edge of a scrum for this reason alone. When I've timed my attack so its going to hit before the other guys and a friendly dude catches my sword for him because he's decided to charge in from behind, its real annoying. It's extra annoying because you usually can't even see what's blocking your blade either, they don't have to be on your screen

It kinda bugs me that hitting a teammate stops your swing dead even if it would normally cleave.

This is doubly bad in horde mode where it doesn't even hurt them.

I guess it's so you can't cleave your whole team but they have no problem with firebombs or catapults doing that.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I liked the solution Mount&Blade had where people could simply hack your shield to pieces

IT'S REALISTIC

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Realistically you wouldn't shatter the shield but instead shatter the arm holding it for the bigger shields.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Rynoto posted:

Realistically you wouldn't shatter the shield but instead shatter the arm holding it for the bigger shields.

Yeah I'm fine with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Phlegmish posted:

Yep, as said, eveningstar skin and it's not even that expensive! I think it was 3000 gold? Best skin imo, even better than the hugely expensive level 40 fancy one.

I think the Goedendag was used as a sort of peasant spear: thanks to the spear-like point and stout club-like construction, you'd just stick the bottom on the ground and hold it at an angle towards the charging riders, as good as a spear wall :) I'd love for Mordhau to implement that for it and all polearms.

Also was used as a "second line" behind the longer pikes to help with the keeping people at a distance, but mainly for the ability to crush any fools that got too close where the pikes were ineffective.

And it means "good morning", for anyone who doesn't know. It's just a super cool weapon :D