Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I'll take the contrivance if Oda uses it as an excuse to bring her whole tragic concept and dark fairy tale origin to bear, because it always felt like pavement for her character's future direction and growth beyond just the general themes and aesthetic of her kingdom and arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

tbh i don't really care that it's contrived because amnesiac big mom is really fun

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Looks like the anime finally got to Imu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04212B1c3ds

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CodfishCartographer posted:

God, thinking about how strong Big Mom and Kaido are is fuckin’ scary. Like, Yeah, they’re strong, but goddamn, it’s difficult to imagine Luffy beating them. Queen seemed pretty drat strong, probably not like Katakuri levels but maybe like, on the same level as Cracker. But then Big Mom just strolls up and wrecks him without breaking a sweat. I mean yeah she’s in rage mode, but still. It’s gunna be so loving satisfying when Luffy eventually does, though!

Why wouldn't Queen be on Katakuri's level. He easily fought Luffy off when he attacked him, and they are close in bounty.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Why wouldn't Queen be on Katakuri's level. He easily fought Luffy off when he attacked him, and they are close in bounty.

Ehhh, he deflected a kind of handicapped Luffy. Queen is definitely strong but I feel like Katakuri was genuinely at another level and was presented as such.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.

They did okay. *sigh*

I just wish they understood the concept of "weight". Impact. This is the leader of the entire loving world being revealed. What music do they choose to use? "I dunno lol just put generic kingly music on there I guess." There are so many unused New World tracks, they coulda used a better one. Other than that it was fine, the Gorosei said their lines well.

I'm going to choose to take it as canon that Imu's eyes are unnaturally red. It's a decent possibility that that's what someone who had the Immortality Surgery done on them looks like.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

tbp posted:

yeah true and while its not a really big deal it'd make me a little sad but easily smoething to look over

its so when she regains her memory she also remembers eating mother carmel

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Demonicpoodle posted:

They did okay. *sigh*

I just wish they understood the concept of "weight". Impact. This is the leader of the entire loving world being revealed. What music do they choose to use? "I dunno lol just put generic kingly music on there I guess." There are so many unused New World tracks, they coulda used a better one. Other than that it was fine, the Gorosei said their lines well.

I'm going to choose to take it as canon that Imu's eyes are unnaturally red. It's a decent possibility that that's what someone who had the Immortality Surgery done on them looks like.

This is probably really nitpicky but the way Imu's hand moves (retreating it from the butterfly) and the way Vivi's photo moves is just
bad

it's like moving something in photoshop like you're just selecting it and then moving it around the layer. Like would more animation REALLY be needed for such a small part? No, save an animator where you can. But it looks so cheap, surely there was a better way. There's no weight to anything, like you say, even ignoring other choices.

The Wano arc is supposed to have a new art director/lead, right? I hope they can find a way to infuse more life into the anime, it's just such a bummer to look up clips and keep going UGH at every single ugly and blatantly time stretching decision

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

scary ghost dog posted:

its so when she regains her memory she also remembers eating mother carmel

oh, that's a good idea.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.

rannum posted:

This is probably really nitpicky but the way Imu's hand moves (retreating it from the butterfly) and the way Vivi's photo moves is just
bad

it's like moving something in photoshop like you're just selecting it and then moving it around the layer. Like would more animation REALLY be needed for such a small part? No, save an animator where you can. But it looks so cheap, surely there was a better way. There's no weight to anything, like you say, even ignoring other choices.

The Wano arc is supposed to have a new art director/lead, right? I hope they can find a way to infuse more life into the anime, it's just such a bummer to look up clips and keep going UGH at every single ugly and blatantly time stretching decision

Wano's gonna be really good in the anime yeah. It has the Dragon Ball Broly movie director as the new series director. But there's no way to fix the pacing, so that'll still be like Foxy Noro Noro Beam'd the entire anime. The brilliant thing about Wano is it represents Japan, so Toei HAS to do it well to represent. Also the series director confirmed that Wano is indeed the most important arc of the series so far.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

where the freaking big hat at

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
can you believe it's already been a whole year since we saw the big hat

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I get the feeling Big Mom's arc here is going to be when she gets her memories back she'll actually have to examine her life and her decisions throughout it probably for the first time from the perspective of remembering when she used to be a sweet if socially awkward and dangerously strong little kid.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

oddium posted:

Is Oda purposely making Wano amazing to distract us from the hat???

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

This arc ends with Big Mom rekindling her relationship with her first love Kaido and they abandon their crews and territory to elope.

Luffy of course is the officiant at their wedding.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

oddium posted:

I thought it showed up after Imu is introduced, but guess not!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-z7D0oFam8

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

big hat !!

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This arc ends with Big Mom rekindling her relationship with her first love Kaido and they abandon their crews and territory to elope.

This would actually be a kind of sweet ending to their arcs. After being defeated by Liffey they both realize their era is over and need to seriously re-evaluate their lives and just choose to gently caress off to some island together, leaving the world to the next generation.

Then they both come back to assist luffy in the final showdown with the WG.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Demonicpoodle posted:

Wano's gonna be really good in the anime yeah. It has the Dragon Ball Broly movie director as the new series director. But there's no way to fix the pacing, so that'll still be like Foxy Noro Noro Beam'd the entire anime. The brilliant thing about Wano is it represents Japan, so Toei HAS to do it well to represent. Also the series director confirmed that Wano is indeed the most important arc of the series so far.

That's good but thinking of all the long
dreadful
just paused on a still shot
with no real music to speak of

pans on the Yasuie crucifixation , sucks.

This but in wano and ideally with better art https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTua_QDQCLU

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Ghost Leviathan posted:

but how will they recognize Luffy if he's dressed like a priest

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Adlai Stevenson posted:

but how will they recognize Luffy if he's dressed like a priest

It'll be fine. Captains can marry people via the authority of the sea.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gyges posted:

It'll be fine. Captains can marry people via the authority of the sea.

I'm not sure that was ever actually a real life thing but it's obligatory in any remotely nautical themed media, see Star Trek and PotC.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

rannum posted:

That's good but thinking of all the long
dreadful
just paused on a still shot
with no real music to speak of

pans on the Yasuie crucifixation , sucks.

This but in wano and ideally with better art https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTua_QDQCLU

I mean yeah, the pacing's just always gonna be dreadful. This is an old-rear end anime under an old-rear end contract. They've been nailing important scenes lately though, so I've been watching, just using an addon to speed it up, which yes is ridiculous haha.

Will Luffy injure Big Mom next chapter!? Will we find out she's been unconsciously coating herself in the invisible Armament Haki all this time, so even with her memories lost she's still using it!? Will we finally escape the prison!?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

next chapter is gong to cut back to zoro and chef probably

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wouldn't be surprised if Big Mom is still as much of a threat as she ever is on her own, it's not like her fighting style has relied on any skill or finesse before because she's never needed it. And Haki is probably muscle memory; kind of was a big point that her assassination was foiled by her using it involuntarily.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
I thought she screamed so hard that the missile exploded midair? Maybe I just misinterpreted that panel. Either way agree with you that amnesiac mom can probably still use haki.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Is she not letting loose conqueror’s while screaming?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
yeah that was a conqueror's haki wave

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

does it require a medium to propagate? has anyone done a double slit experiment on it? can it both be reinforced and deconstructed? what does Fourier analysis reveal about this Haki wave? what's the sound speed?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
its a wave of magic that does whatever the story requires

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Lpzie posted:

does it require a medium to propagate? has anyone done a double slit experiment on it? can it both be reinforced and deconstructed? what does Fourier analysis reveal about this Haki wave? what's the sound speed?

I'm sure that Dr. Vegapunk has looked into this.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Lpzie posted:

So it's a mysterious force?

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Will Big Mom be captured after her brawl with Luffy? Really want to see the gang team up with the rest of her crew.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Sub Harrison posted:

Will Big Mom be captured after her brawl with Luffy? Really want to see the gang team up with the rest of her crew.

Oh god what if Big Mom realizes the error of her ways when she regains her memories, and her entire crew joins the extended Straw Hat armada?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think at most she'll begrudgingly forgive them and let them go, becoming allies is a bit of a stretch.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I just want a Luffy/Katakuri teamup tbh

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Oh Snapple! posted:

I just want a Luffy/Katakuri teamup tbh

This might happen During the final war with the World Government

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
If big mom regains her memories the only thing that will save Luffy is if he actually powers up enough or if kaido fights her to keep Luffy in prison

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Big Mom surely has to make it to Elbaf, but I could see her being incapacitated here when she isn't at full strength as a way of showing how Luffy has grown, before soloing her later on when she is back to throwing literal suns at people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The majority of Emperors we've seen thus far seem to be complete freaks of nature, Shanks and maybe Whitebeard are the more normal ones, Whitebeard merely having an incredibly broken Devil Fruit.

While Luffy clearly and consciously takes after Shanks in personality and style, it seems like he's closer to Whitebeard in methods; combining incredible physical strength with a Devil Fruit power (with the Gum-Gum fruit being more like a Zoan in that it complements and multiplies his physical power rather than being unrelated to it like most Paramecia) and having close-knit crew and a large and diverse range of allies who follow him out of choice from personal respect and admiration.