Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Bloodnose posted:

No you need the government to pay to learn about the toxicity of whiteness and the never-ending cycle of patriarchal oppression to really make sure the kids got that education

Unironically.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Bloodnose posted:

No you need the government to pay to learn about the toxicity of whiteness and the never-ending cycle of patriarchal oppression to really make sure the kids got that education

Unironically.

i don't say it too often, but you're right

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I dunno what world y'all are living in, but my kids are gonna be majoring in long distance swimming and competitive road kill consumption.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Welcome to Florida

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Bloodnose posted:

Unironically.

So shines a good deed in a weary world

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Thanks for ruining my rear end in a top hat (hygiene expectations) Japan; just ordered a Washlet and waiting for it to arrive.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

some heavy shitter posted:

one bidet tip is not to poop and use the enema spray at the same time. They causes a giant poop back splash and dirties the toilet and the bidet nozzle

So poop
Relax anus
Use butt spray
Relax anus
Enema THEN
poop to get rid of remnants of bowels
Butt spray
Relax anus
Enema

2 piece toilet paper wipe

I would add that you should spray the anus once prior to pooping, as this relaxes/lubricates the sphincter and softens the stool, reducing the risk of dry shits causing anal fissures.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Um

ok i'm sorry to interrupt the fascinating anal fissures discussion but I wanted some travel advice. I'm coming up on the end of my year in Japan, so I wanted to schedule a nice farewell trip for a week or two when school gets out - so the first few weeks of August. On the thread's recommendation I went up through Suwa to Nagano, Matsumoto, and Takayama over winter break and had a great time. My question now is: does anyone have any advice for similar trips to areas that aren't too far? What kinds of places could I access with a Seishun18 pass if I need to end up back in Tokyo? I've already visited Nikko and Kamakura. As before I'm working on a college student's budget here, and my biggest priorities are enjoying nature, cultural sights, and as much good food as possible.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

did you even see kyoto and hiroshima yet mate

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
I recommend Aomori, especially if you can get there the first week of August for nebuta festivals in a few different cities. It’s not extremely convenient by train, but the weather is temperate and the fests are fun.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
aomori loving owns. get over to akita and take the resort shirakami up the coast to get there.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

peanut posted:

did you even see kyoto and hiroshima yet mate

Aomori does sound cool but... this is a good point. For some reason I had it in my head that Kyoto etc. were absolutely inaccessible from Tokyo without the shinkansen.

So I guess I'll ask the usual questions - what's a good balance of time between Kyoto/Osaka/Nara? I might like to do a day trip to Uji from Kyoto since I love matcha. And also there's a ton of stuff en route from Osaka to Hiroshima so do ppl have any particular recommendations for if I decide to go that way

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

For my next inaka trip I really want to fly to Hakodate, take the ferry to Shimokita and then rent a car and drive down to Aomori or maybe all the way to Akita if I can manage it.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

For my next inaka trip I really want to fly to Hakodate, take the ferry to Shimokita and then rent a car and drive down to Aomori or maybe all the way to Akita if I can manage it.

hakodate is p boring so get out of there asap imo. aomori was cool as were all the small places around sapporo.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I think I am blind in trying to find an Olympics thread. The US tickets thing came through last night and I only got accepted to 1/10. Really wanted that opening ceremony ticket.

Do I have chance getting one from a scalper or on July 2nd for the free for all.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Do I need a voltage converter for the 120 v to 100 v when going from the US to Japan?

I only need it for charging phones and my laptop. I imagine they’ll be fine and just charge a little slower. Is that right?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
No

Also learn how to read the description on your transformers

And nothing is grounded btw

E: test time

what’s the input voltage on my laptop charger

Phone fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 25, 2019

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Phone posted:

No

Also learn how to read the description on your transformers

And nothing is grounded btw

Thanks, some of the info online is a bit ambiguous as to this. I think our Air BnB has a hairdryer for the wife, which seems to be the only iffy product. I doubt she wants to lug one of those over anyway.

I don’t think we’re taking anything that’s 3 prong.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Electrical engineer here, most electronics designed for use in the states can handle the undervoltage of Japanese distribution. There's no real danger, since if anything goes wrong the item just won't work (as opposed to overvoltage which may potentially fry stuff). As advised previously, don't take 3-pronged items, and certainly don't use cheater plugs unless you're ok with taking on electrical fire liability. Make sure your transformers/wall warts/whatever is explicitly labeled as being able to handle 50-60Hz, as that's the big catch when it comes to japan

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

youcallthatatwist posted:

Aomori does sound cool but... this is a good point. For some reason I had it in my head that Kyoto etc. were absolutely inaccessible from Tokyo without the shinkansen.

So I guess I'll ask the usual questions - what's a good balance of time between Kyoto/Osaka/Nara? I might like to do a day trip to Uji from Kyoto since I love matcha. And also there's a ton of stuff en route from Osaka to Hiroshima so do ppl have any particular recommendations for if I decide to go that way

osaka has great cheap places to stay and eat, and is a nice friendly fun city, although if you've been living in tokyo it might be less exciting. nara is a day trip. uji is a nice day trip or half-day, less crowded, i liked it, there's a street full of tea-related shops that are rather pricy and tourist-focused but fun to browse and chat to staff if you're into tea. fushimi-inari is on the train from kyoto to uji and nara and is a must-see and also completely free, someone was saying itt you can even just wander up the mountain after dark which sounded fun. kyoto ... depends how much you like temples and crowds and shuffling slowly through crowded temples while everyone blocks your view with their selfie sticks. i guess there's some neat architecture around too and you can avoid the worst crowds by timing things carefully? i like the station building.

honestly one of my favorite things i did in that region when i was out there in the spring was to hop off the train at shin-kobe and just walk up the mountain right behind the station. it's nothing mind-blowing, but there's some nice trails that hardly anyone goes up, and you can walk up a ridge underneath the cable car and wave at folks going past above you and get nice views of the bay and stuff. good antidote to spending too long in kyoto.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Nanigans posted:

Do I need a voltage converter for the 120 v to 100 v when going from the US to Japan?

I only need it for charging phones and my laptop. I imagine they’ll be fine and just charge a little slower. Is that right?

bring 3 to 2 prong converters for your laptops if they are 3 prong. The bricks you have will work fine in Japan.

Avoid bringing the following:

1) Hair dryer, since they will be weaker. The Japanese ones are better anyway.
2) Rice cooker, even if it's from Zojirushi, as those are rated for US voltage.
3) Refrigerator
4) Bidet toilet seat
5) Drill
6) Power tools

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
7) Hair clippers

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

ntan1 posted:

bring 3 to 2 prong converters for your laptops if they are 3 prong. The bricks you have will work fine in Japan.

Avoid bringing the following:

1) Hair dryer, since they will be weaker. The Japanese ones are better anyway.
2) Rice cooker, even if it's from Zojirushi, as those are rated for US voltage.
3) Refrigerator
4) Bidet toilet seat
5) Drill
6) Power tools

This post made me lol for real.

1...okay...2...weird, but sure...3...ohhh

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Old electronics that use the AC signal for timekeeping can get hosed up by 50/60 Hz

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
The voltage difference frustrates me. I live in the US Midwest and in the winter I would love a kotatsu. I'm just worried if I import a real one from Japan the extra heat will make me go from toasty to crispy (along with my apartment).

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

i mean you could buy a transformer for pretty cheap if you're worried

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

mikeycp posted:

Don’t cheap out on transformers because they do sometimes fail and burn the house down.

I used to use them when I was a kid to play the famicom but thinking back, I lucked out.

I would rather wait for a universal plug kotatsu or get a chinese universal voltage

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

mikeycp posted:

Cheap voltage transformers are a fire hazard on their own. Even good ones will have a ton of waste heat.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I run all sorts of expensive old japanese stuff in the US without a stepdown, never had a problem (also a cheapo kotatsu which did not get too hot). When I bring my laptop to Japan I use a 3-2 prong adapter I got in bic camera or something that has a ground pigtail you attach to the screw in the center of the wall plate:

These are perfectly safe BTW, as long as they come from a major shop/manufacturer and not like, alibaba.com. Mine said "made in japan" on the package and yours should too.

I've heard lots of weird poo poo about Japanese not using ground for electronics, or buildings not being grounded. They do and are, it's just that the stuff that needs to be grounded has a separate lead, or a place to attach a separate lead that you manually attach to your building's ground. It is true that they leave some stuff floating that we see grounded a lot in the US, like laptops. But if you look at any larger electronics (like a desktop PC) you will see a place to attach a grounding lead. How many people actually do it I have no idea but the infrastructure is definitely there on both ends.

e: authentic nippon grounding screw:

d0s fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 26, 2019

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The only outlet in my house with a grounding screw is designated for the clothes washer.

geese
May 29, 2007

This goose is cooked.
Our first trip to Japan is in just a couple weeks. I'll be arriving at Osaka-Itami but leaving from Tokyo-Narita after 11 days in Japan. Any recommendations on pocket wifi options if I'm changing cities? I recall there being someone in this thread that had a link for cheap pocket wifi rental but it seems most companies assumed I was renting to/from the same airport. Or should I just get a travel sim card? I'm just not keen on draining my phone's battery hot spotting to my wife's phone all day.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

caberham posted:

Don’t cheap out on transformers because they do sometimes fail and burn the house down.

captkirk posted:

Cheap voltage transformers are a fire hazard on their own. Even good ones will have a ton of waste heat.

i didn't mean get a cheap one i meant you can get a decent one that's relatively inexpensive

especially if it's just that tiny step down

i paid more for mine because it also doesn't look like a piece of industrial hardware sitting on my counter

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

peanut posted:

The only outlet in my house with a grounding screw is designated for the clothes washer.

Yeah I should have explained, the majority of outlets don't have them externally (and actually have no screws at all) but there is ground wiring throughout so they can be added when necessary (just exchange the outlet for one like this). I think they think this is "safer" or something, or just "this is how it's always been done" type thinking, though I accidentally stayed at that fascist business hotel chain and most of the outlets were US-style 3-prong aside from a set directly on the bed headboard (???). There is just this weird thing I see repeated online that japanese buildings are straight up never wired for ground at all and they don't have any concept of it and that's completely false, it's just not in your face normally because most consumer electronics there (and increasingly in most places) are designed to float, but when they aren't they make it real clear in the manuals etc and japanese actually do go out and buy a special outlet for their special gadget, because japan.

d0s fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 26, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

geese posted:

Our first trip to Japan is in just a couple weeks. I'll be arriving at Osaka-Itami but leaving from Tokyo-Narita after 11 days in Japan. Any recommendations on pocket wifi options if I'm changing cities? I recall there being someone in this thread that had a link for cheap pocket wifi rental but it seems most companies assumed I was renting to/from the same airport. Or should I just get a travel sim card? I'm just not keen on draining my phone's battery hot spotting to my wife's phone all day.

https://rental.cdjapan.co.jp/index_en_jpy_7.html

They will mail it to your hotel to pick up and you return it by dropping it in one of the mailboxes at your departure airport. Couldn't be simpler. No reason to get anything other than the cheapest one either, it throttles you a little but it's not noticeable.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I use a transformer to play Japanese Saturn games in Europe, so I have to convert 220v down to 100. I never trust the loving thing and I always leave it unplugged when I'm done with it.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
What would be the best way to get my desktop computer to Japan? Dissassemble the fucker and ship it to my new address piece by piece? Wrap the entire thing in bubblewrap and mail it in one piece?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'd remove the storage from it and bring those along in carry-on, then carefully pack the rest in one piece.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Archer666 posted:

What would be the best way to get my desktop computer to Japan? Dissassemble the fucker and ship it to my new address piece by piece? Wrap the entire thing in bubblewrap and mail it in one piece?

Unplug and bubble wrap all the components, pack them all in the case and just ship the case? Worst case you're just out the case and/or motherboard.

Just guessing, but that's probably what I'd try.

*edit*
Wrap and box the case, obviously.

Stringent fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jun 26, 2019

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Archer666 posted:

I brought storage separately and unhooked/removed the graphics card as well. Otherwise I wrapped it in bubble wrap and stuffed it full of clothes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

geese posted:

I could be wrong but I don't think that wifi rental agencies actually have offices in airports. When you pick up from an airport it's just a package they ship to an in-terminal generic logistics company, as you would pick up luggage, etc., and returning all wifi rentals is as easy as dropping the prepaid envelope you get into any domestic mail slot before you go through security.

That's been my experience twice, I expect it's probably the same for most.