Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I can barely play a four player game with two cores and a single set of expansions. Two campaigns sounds impossible.

I ended up printing proxies and using opaque back card sleeves for our four player game. After buying everything once I didn't feel guilty about printing half a dozen cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Do you guys tend to just use recommended decks offered by FFG for investigators for campaigns, or what?

I love this game but deck building is like my least favorite part of it. Especially since my girlfriend kind of leaves that to me for her deck too.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

jeeves posted:

Do you guys tend to just use recommended decks offered by FFG for investigators for campaigns, or what?

I love this game but deck building is like my least favorite part of it. Especially since my girlfriend kind of leaves that to me for her deck too.

God no. The recommended decks are beyond garbage. I'm pretty sure they were intentionally made to be awful to make deck building less intimidating and inspire people to make changes pretty much immediately.

Browse https://arkhamdb.com/ if you aren't sure about deck building. I don't always agree with what people come up with but it is a better start than FFG's decks.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Yeah, I use ArkhamDB, it just seems like there are so many decks posted that it is hard to sort the good from the crap.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Yeah, a lot of people don't seem to realise you can have private decks (and share them with your group) without publishing, so you end up with eight published copies of someone's half-assed deck with zero commentary.

There are some much better thought-out lists if you poke around, with commentary explaining what they were designed to achieve and how to play them.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Ripley posted:

Yeah, a lot of people don't seem to realise you can have private decks (and share them with your group) without publishing, so you end up with eight published copies of someone's half-assed deck with zero commentary.

There are some much better thought-out lists if you poke around, with commentary explaining what they were designed to achieve and how to play them.

Yeah, this.

Try the search function or browse by popularity and find a deck with lots of hearts/comments, and find decks that comes with a guide which explains the reason specific cards are included. Any such deck will be 5x-10x better than FFGs 'recommended' decks, they are all awful.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

NRVNQSR posted:

Has anyone had experience with running multiple campaigns in parallel using a shared card pool?

I have two campaigns on the go at the moment. There's going to be unavoidable overlap; cards like Deduction, Machete, Vicious Blow, Lucky, Shrivelling, etc are staples of their classes, and will be in demand in both groups. We play where you make a list of cards you've grabbed from other decks, and you need to put it back after the game session.

We find it's not too bad. You're probably only going to take about 6-10 cards from other players, so most of your deck will be waiting for you, and because one group will likely be ahead of the other, they'll have all the cards the other group wants, so only one group will be doing a lot of card looting. Also, if the game host is feeling generous, they can use the lists to set up the decks beforehand.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Zerf posted:

Yeah, this.

Try the search function or browse by popularity and find a deck with lots of hearts/comments, and find decks that comes with a guide which explains the reason specific cards are included. Any such deck will be 5x-10x better than FFGs 'recommended' decks, they are all awful.

To add to this look for the handful of users who make good decks and good breakdowns, then click through to their profile to see all their decks.

The two that spring to mind are StartWithTheName and Django.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I gotta say making Machete cost 2XP has been a really good change in terms of variety. See a lot of other weapons now.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Anyone have some recommendations for characters to take in to a two player Path to Carcosa campaign? We can find usable decks, but I don’t know what a good combination would be.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Funzo posted:

Anyone have some recommendations for characters to take in to a two player Path to Carcosa campaign? We can find usable decks, but I don’t know what a good combination would be.

We did it with Joe Diamond and Serafina Rousseau and it was really fun; they're both able to survive on their own while being really strong together.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Funzo posted:

Try one of the pair being a Mystic, the class is naturally set to avoid some of the most frustrating hazards in your path (the loving Poltergeist and making GBS threads all over straightjacket).

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I would like some combination recommendations as well for 2P.

We kinda got burned on Dunwich by picking wrong investigators.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

2P basically means you build 2 solo investigator decks in that each deck need to be able to stand on its own (have a way to deal with enemies, have a way to pick up some clues) but with 2 exceptions:

1. Evade is less valuable, though not yet completely overshadowed by combat, depending on the investigators.
2. You can cut the weakest cards of the thing you're least good at (clues or enemies) and add some more cards to play to your strengths or just some powerful utility cards as you can expect your buddy to pick up the slack. Don't fully specialize like you might in a 4 player game though (and to be honest, as the card pool increases, fully specializing even in 4 player is becoming less and less of a good thing to do)

Then go to secret step number 3:
3. Tailor your decks and intended upgrade path to the campaign.

The way I tend to do it is to let the other player pick an investigator and then I pick one that matches well and I feel like trying out a deck idea for. While there's definitely some investigators that do the same thing as others but better, there's few investigators that are actually just really bad. There are bad combos, however. The only ones I just can't think of a good combo for are Lola and Calvin. Additionally I've never tried Wendy, Rita, Preston and Diana in 2P. Lastly when I played Marie in 2 player it was just really drat awkward all the time and I couldn't shake the feeling another Mystic would've been better, while also seeing that Marie might be really good in solo or with a bit more ways to manage doom.

So basically, post an investigator and a campaign you want to go for and I can give you some pairing and deckbuilding recommendations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Well, starting a new campaign in a few minutes. Ursula, Roland, Pete and Duke are gonna go explore the Amazon, wish us luck! Hope there's no snakes!

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

Well, starting a new campaign in a few minutes. Ursula, Roland, Pete and Duke are gonna go explore the Amazon, wish us luck! Hope there's no snakes!

Enjoy! My one word of advice: don't forget the power of a good night's sleep!

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
My girlfriend really likes Arkham but really isn't the best at strategy. I tried making her a Zoey deck for Dunwich, but she got bored/frustrated when not able to kill things. Halfway through the campaign, I remade her a Jenny deck, which she likes more since it is a bit more of a generalist. However, the campaign has still been really hit and miss since I'm playing Pete, so we kind of have two generalists.

I know Zoey+Rex was pretty much the recommended combo for Dunwich, but I wanted to avoid Rex since he was kinda too broken good.

Going into other campaigns, what would you pros recommend for good intro combos? I know I asked this before, but I guess I needed to be more specific. Basically 2P combos recommendations for each campaign. Since it's just her and I for the most part, I'm trying to find each least one investigator per pair that are interesting but also are not too hard too play (like the painter in Carcosa from the looks of her).

I can find specific good decks for each investigator on ArkhamDB, I just need recommendations for the actual investigators to go after. Also, I have Silas and the other novella cards now.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
The obvious combo is pretty much always 'Guardian + Seeker from that pack' for anything before The Circle Undone if you want to be thematic, although as noted Rex is pretty busted. I do have a specific suggestion for Carcosa 2P that I've been throwing around in my head for a while, though: Ashcan Pete and Daisy Walker. Ashcan focuses primarily on fighting (Dark Horse + Fire Axe is pretty nice) and makes sure to bring along Peter Sylvestre, and Daisy focuses on investigating plus some general support. Daisy can splash into Mystic which is pretty powerful along with the free book action.

Ashcan is Shaggy, Duke is Scooby, Peter is Fred, Daisy is Velma. Or Daphne, depending on your interpretation; Minh is also an option for Velma. The Scooby Gang Goes To See A Play.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

RPZip posted:

The obvious combo is pretty much always 'Guardian + Seeker from that pack' for anything before The Circle Undone if you want to be thematic, although as noted Rex is pretty busted. I do have a specific suggestion for Carcosa 2P that I've been throwing around in my head for a while, though: Ashcan Pete and Daisy Walker. Ashcan focuses primarily on fighting (Dark Horse + Fire Axe is pretty nice) and makes sure to bring along Peter Sylvestre, and Daisy focuses on investigating plus some general support. Daisy can splash into Mystic which is pretty powerful along with the free book action.

Ashcan is Shaggy, Duke is Scooby, Peter is Fred, Daisy is Velma. Or Daphne, depending on your interpretation; Minh is also an option for Velma. The Scooby Gang Goes To See A Play.

give the seeker Dr Elli as an ally and assemble the entire crew

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

jeeves posted:

Going into other campaigns, what would you pros recommend for good intro combos?

They're not from the same expansion, if that's a self-imposed rule you're playing with, but consider Agnes + Carolyn for a fairly ridiculous power duo.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

How do I get my teammates to stop pitching cards when they're already at +1 or even +2 to the draw, they constantly go in the tank for 30+ seconds before throwing away resources on draws that are +EV in the first place.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

It depends on the difficulty; if playing on Hard, there's no way I'm not seriously weighing things up before considering letting a +2 ride.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

We're playing on a custom difficulty where I built the standard bag but then replaced the one -5 with a -1 because I want easy but without the shame of playing on easy.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

The worst is when people spend more resources to pass a treachery than they'd lose from the treachery, pull an auto fail, and end up so depleted the game is effectively lost.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Shrecknet posted:

How do I get my teammates to stop pitching cards when they're already at +1 or even +2 to the draw, they constantly go in the tank for 30+ seconds before throwing away resources on draws that are +EV in the first place.

Show them the contents of the chaos bag and explain basic statistics and resource management?

Alternatively call them cowards every time they do it and keep taunting them until they better their ways. Usually only works when there are multiple people at the table shaming teammates into submission though.

KPC_Mammon posted:

The worst is when people spend more resources to pass a treachery than they'd lose from the treachery, pull an auto fail, and end up so depleted the game is effectively lost.

This is very much the "health is a resource" lesson new players to card games need to learn. Or in the case of Arkham:

1. Health and Sanity are resources.
2. That includes taking trauma.
3. Every card and resource you didn't spend at the end of the game was a waste. Having spent actions to acquire those cards/resources was a double waste.
4. The best healing/defense against the encounter deck is ending the game faster so you draw less cards from it.
5. Not winning a scenario (or not winning in the preferred way) is usually not a loss.

Basically Arkham is a game about risk management where you weigh immediate risks (encounter cards you just drew which are about to possibly do something bad to you) versus how many encounter cards you will draw in the future (due to losing tempo by losing resources to mitigate the immediate risk). If you are so immediately risk averse that you try to completely prevent everything "bad" happening to you (usually read: gently caress up your hand and resource situation to keep your health/sanity pristine) and then are so immediately risk averse that you will spend actions (almost always your most limited and thus valuable resource) to repair that damage then you are actually not being risk averse but short-sighted. Like, you've fundamentally misunderstood the heart of the game, and the game will punish you for it.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 25, 2019

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I am going to attempt to play this game again. Is it considered better to play pure solo or 2 handed?

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I like playing two handed, that way you get to experience different play styles at the same time and there are more interesting choices to make.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I noticed from my solo plays that I was typically making the same kinds of choices when deckbuilding across the different investigators and classes. There's less room for error in pure solo, so it's hard to justify playing with quirky strategies or slower decks. Two handed allows for a lot more freedom to toy around with different things.

Pure solo is a very specific challenge that might be your deal, but I just found it limiting and unfun.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Cool, thanks. Now to pick the characters!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Return to Carcosa spoilers. There's some real gems and some real misses in here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/arkhamhorrorlcg/comments/c65fvz/spoilers_player_cards_from_return_to_carcosa/

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

Return to Carcosa spoilers. There's some real gems and some real misses in here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/arkhamhorrorlcg/comments/c65fvz/spoilers_player_cards_from_return_to_carcosa/

When we played through Carcosa one player had Sefina do a double or nothing / watch this / quick thinking combo every game. Sometimes it was hard to set up, since he need to make a Willpower check for the full combo and that meant already having Right of Seeking (2) in play and a low shroud location.

Alchemical Transmutation (2) would have been amazing in his deck.

Evilgm
Dec 31, 2014
In the Clutches of Chaos up on CardgameDB

http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php...sort_order=desc

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Agency Backup is certainly a thing. Deny Existence seems really good but possibly too XP expensive to be worth it

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I picked up my Clutches today. Did this release go under the radar or have I just not being paying attention? Maybe with all the talk around return to carcosa and the dreamlands expansion, people are tuning out of the circle undone?

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Most of the cards were announced or spoiled early I think, so there hasn't been a huge amount of discussion about the pack.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Plavski posted:

I picked up my Clutches today. Did this release go under the radar or have I just not being paying attention? Maybe with all the talk around return to carcosa and the dreamlands expansion, people are tuning out of the circle undone?

Yeah, official release day is friday, but all cards has already been spoiled. This time I think only two cards were left once the final spoilers came two days ago, so unless you paid attention, you wouldn't notice it.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
Regarding Clutches, Studious seems really really good. Like Taboo-list good. A starting hand with 7 cards (which can be mulliganed) is strong as is, and if you play tarots they are boosted too.

Another Day, Another Dollar also seems good, but a bit more balanced.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Zerf posted:

Regarding Clutches, Studious seems really really good. Like Taboo-list good. A starting hand with 7 cards (which can be mulliganed) is strong as is, and if you play tarots they are boosted too.

Another Day, Another Dollar also seems good, but a bit more balanced.

The bonus hand size is pretty good but it's also 6 XP for that 7 card hand, which is significant. It's worth talking about but I don't know if it's substantially better than Preposterous Sketches (2) or Cryptic Research (4), and seems pretty in-line with that progression.

Agency Backup seems pretty nuts if you build around it, I guess, but that's a lot of XP and resources to dedicate to something that isn't a gun. Maybe in a Leo Anderson deck. Deny Existence (5) is pretty godly, which makes sense for the cost.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

RPZip posted:

The bonus hand size is pretty good but it's also 6 XP for that 7 card hand, which is significant. It's worth talking about but I don't know if it's substantially better than Preposterous Sketches (2) or Cryptic Research (4), and seems pretty in-line with that progression.

I would argue that it really is stronger. Since each Studious allows a mulligan, they are essentially draw 2, keep 1. Not only that, but since it's your starting hand, it lets you dodge weaknesses. And it cost you zero actions and zero resources. And to top it off, you get the cards when you need them the most. Think about it, you usually have a 31 card deck to draw from (33 - 2 weaknesses). Instead of seeing a max of 10 cards, Studious lets you see a maximum of 14 cards. The percentage increase is pretty significant.

RPZip posted:

Agency Backup seems pretty nuts if you build around it, I guess, but that's a lot of XP and resources to dedicate to something that isn't a gun. Maybe in a Leo Anderson deck. Deny Existence (5) is pretty godly, which makes sense for the cost.

Yeah, that can surely become quite a fun deck to pilot, but if one were to fill the deck with healing cards for allies, there should be a couple of more targets. Beat Cop(2) is a good start, but some more would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

RPZip posted:

Agency Backup is going to be the next upgrade I take in my Carolyn Fern Forgotten Age Deck. I already have Ancient Stones with 7 charges and First Aid (3) in my deck so it should be amazing.

E: We've not played since I added First Aid (3), might delay those and take at least one right now.