Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

logis posted:

What other themes could W / U / G that might fit? I'm not sure; maybe Wx tokens / swarm?

Enchantress? That's a theme that could work between those three colors. Heroic was actually my favorite deck to draft from Ultimate Masters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Bant should be able to support a proliferate/counters matter theme, especially after WAR

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Brownhat posted:

I'm still annoyed that Cube Tutor just doesn't work with my Unstable cube.

My site will, but that kind of got put on hold :ohdear:

A friend of mine started up a vendor business, they just ran their first 5k event in Memphis a week or two ago actually. They've contracted me to build them an inventory management system since all the existing software on the market is both lovely and overpriced. Since I already had the TCGPlayer API tools built for this thing, it was an easy project to pivot over to and I could use the easy money.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Yeah, I'm stuck dealing with Crystal Commerce everyday.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I hear that piece of garbage is like $600/month and doesn't actually do half the poo poo you'd want it to.

If this thing turns out ok for my friend, we're definitely considering the possibility of licensing it to try to compete against what seems like a pretty open market.....everyone uses Crystal Commerce, everyone seems to hate it.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Crystal Commerce is $600 a month? What the hell??

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Just looked it up myself, he was inaccurate. It's $600 to set up for their most basic tier, then $99/month after that. Still pretty loving expensive, though.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Wishing you all the best of luck, Baron. Sounds like you're on track to provide something people really want and in a way that makes them happy.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Thanks. I just need to actually focus and get it done. Cube coming back to MTGO and the new expansion for Civ 6 releasing at the same time has not been helpful :ohdear:

EDIT: Well I was able to stay focused enough today to break my API toolkit out into a standalone django package that I can now share between the cube site and this inventory manager. I was fully expecting this to take a few days, I got it done in less than one :dance:

The dollar signs keep me focused, because this is going to be WAY bigger than a cube manager site could ever be. Even charging half of what Crystal Commerce does, just getting 50 stores to use it would easily cover my student loans after hosting costs and taxes.

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 4, 2019

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
how bad is shuffling double-sleeved cubes? I dislike double-sleeving due to how fat the cards are but I also want to make sure randos don't gently caress my cards up

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

muon posted:

how bad is shuffling double-sleeved cubes? I dislike double-sleeving due to how fat the cards are but I also want to make sure randos don't gently caress my cards up

It's not hard, the hard part is shuffling a lot of cards

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I want to alter a big stack of the common M19 taplands to be generic untapped duals for my peasant/budget cube. Any suggestions for how to strike the EtB tapped text out in the least ugly way? I was thinking of using a light gray paint pen, but am open to other ideas.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

whydirt posted:

I want to alter a big stack of the common M19 taplands to be generic untapped duals for my peasant/budget cube. Any suggestions for how to strike the EtB tapped text out in the least ugly way? I was thinking of using a light gray paint pen, but am open to other ideas.

Use white out and make it glaringly obvious.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Replace them with the gainlands and don't worry about having untapped duals?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Collectively War and Horizons have put a boot to my rear end to redesign my peasant cube. I have an archtype for everything but RB. Previously RB was sacrifice but I like a lot of the BG stuff from Dom etc so was doing a color shift on that. I guess it could just be go fast, punch, and murder but everything else is a bit more focused.

WU: Flicker/ETB
UB: Self-Mill
BR: ?
RG: Lands/ramp
GW: Enchantments

WB: Cares about life
WR: Tokens
UR: Artifacts
UG: Counters/Proliferate
BG: Sacrifice

BG and BR have kind of flipped. My current design has BR as sacrifice which plays nice with the RW tokens and UB recursion. BG is my least defined color but generally plays out as super grindy. Hold the ground with fat butts and some tokens, then use black's kill and recursion to eventually take over.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 1, 2019

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Rakdos Burn/Removal with Flashback or Madness

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Yo Baron! What’s the word on your cube manager site?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
It's been on hold because a friend who runs a vending business for GPs and stuff contracted me to build him an inventory manager and POS.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

With the death of MTGSalvation, where can I go discuss potential Cube inclusions? I know Wtwlf posted here at some point, his set reviews definitely have had a major impact on how I built my dumb mess.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Riptide Lab

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

weekly font posted:

With the death of MTGSalvation, where can I go discuss potential Cube inclusions? I know Wtwlf posted here at some point, his set reviews definitely have had a major impact on how I built my dumb mess.

I'm still around, lol.

I'll be posting most of my card evaluations for new cards on Twitter for the time being... wtwlf123 over there. Plus, I can post in here too, though I'm not on SA nearly as much as Twitter.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

WhiteWolf123 posted:

I'm still around, lol.

I'll be posting most of my card evaluations for new cards on Twitter for the time being... wtwlf123 over there. Plus, I can post in here too, though I'm not on SA nearly as much as Twitter.

poo poo I had no idea you posted on SA, your stuff on MTGSalvation was awesome and I heavily referenced it in building my own cube

e: also holy crap these last two sets are insane for cube

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Glad you enjoyed the content man.

And yes, both WAR and MH1 were insane sets in terms of their impact on the cube.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Do yall think at 540 there's enough space to give black a zombie subtheme? I'm having trouble fitting any of the lords/buff daddies in at the 3 slot.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
You can still do it without all the dedicated zombie-only lords. Something like that artifact creature that you choose a creature type as it comes in and it becomes that type and buffs creatures of that type? I can't remember its name. Also Metallic Mimic to give them counters. That lets you support the tribal theme and not clog up black, while also helping out any other tribes you're supporting.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

weekly font posted:

Do yall think at 540 there's enough space to give black a zombie subtheme? I'm having trouble fitting any of the lords/buff daddies in at the 3 slot.

I think if you want a zombie theme it's gotta build into the mechanical stuff zombies do rather than just being an anthem tribe. Gravecrawler and Carrion Feeder are a beautiful little engine, Cryptbreaker is a great lord that lets you discard for value, Stitcher's Supplier bins your gravecrawler, etc. I think you're gonna have a more successful time building mechanical identity into an archetype than you are something as ephemeral as a typeline.

More yard type zombies - Eternal Taskmaster, etc, and then sprinkle in a lord or two for flavour.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Glad you enjoyed the content man.

And yes, both WAR and MH1 were insane sets in terms of their impact on the cube.

Yet another thanks for your MTGS contributions; my cube owes a debt to you.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Pontius Pilate posted:

Yet another thanks for your MTGS contributions; my cube owes a debt to you.

You're most welcome.

So, Prismatic Vista... that's a good cube card it turns out!

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

edit: Wrong thread!

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 14, 2019

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

weekly font posted:

When I made my Zombie "Lord's" enchantments, it worked out pretty well. It made the zombie deck less aggro and gave it reasons to play 2 colors.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

WhiteWolf123 posted:

You're most welcome.

So, Prismatic Vista... that's a good cube card it turns out!

As the brother of Pontius Pilate, I also thank you.

edit: Peter Pilate

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Hey everyone,

I'm researching making my first cube. Anyone have any experience using vintage cube lists like this one? http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/5936

I found a gDrive with all the cards in the cube ready to proxy, which is why I'm leaning toward a vintage cube over others. Seems like this should be sufficient and a good intro to cube draft, yeah?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Good if you have experienced players, sure. But if you're playing with people who have never done a Vintage Cube before, I could see it getting confusing.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
It’s a good jumping off point since it’s a well-iterated list many people are familiar with, and readily available as you pointed out, but a couple of caveats, one of which was mentioned above: cube is a difficult format and the complexity usually increases the more powerful you get; a C/U cube may be easier for less experienced players since a lot of traditional draft knowledge carries over like removal good, card advantage great, and it’s easier to include gold archetype signals. If your playgroup is more experienced, great! The modo vintage cube is a good launching point but most powered cube managers will have issues with it—aggro too weak, too many walkers, storm too parasitic, etc—yet that’s the beauty of being a cube manager! You get dictatorial control of the contents of your cube! And you can include cards and archetypes your players enjoy too, I suppose.

I’m a proponent of powered cube, and when we cube with newer players they still enjoy themselves (pretty sure) even if they get crushed with their savannah lions elesh norn deck. So if your players are somewhat experienced, or equally inexperienced, I vote print out the vintage cube and adjust liberally.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Bought the Card Kingdom Starter Cube v8 for a draft I'm hosting on my birthday. It's going to be the first Cube draft for all of us, and first ever draft for half of us, so I'm pretty excited. Shuffling a Cube is a pain, though.

Any advice/expectations for some first time Cube drafters?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Make sure they know they can't keep your cards. :)

Also I haven't seen that cube specifically, but reminding everyone of the importance of fixing can never go wrong, since generally there's way less of a problem filling the last few non land slots.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Yup, it comes up often with my cube that there's a LOT of non-basic land and artifacts going around. But people catch on pretty quickly that those should be pretty early picks so you can actually cast the cool spells you're drafting.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

I hope it's cool to share links here, if not, I apologize and a mod is free to take it down...

My Top 20 Set (P)review article is up for M20!

https://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums...for-the-cube#c1

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I'm so close to finishing at least the first iteration of this project for my friend's business. The good news is I've learned a LOT that can be transferred over to the cube site. My entire user auth system can just be copy/pasted over, and most of the skeleton of the rest of the API dealing with the card objects. It's going to be way simpler to build a cube list model than it was to build a full inventory and transaction system was.

Most of this React stuff I wrote should also port over, so I'm thinking once I get this out into testing I can probably bang out the rest of this cube site really quickly. I really want both of these projects finished asap so I can stop coding MTG collection management crap all the time.....so I can get back to my rules engine :ninja:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Apparently I've been neglecting my cube since last November, so I had quite a few sets to review for potential updates.

Here's the full list of things I'm considering: http://www.cubetutor.com/cubeblog/4787

I'm also seriously considering upping my cube from 600 to 720. These updates just keep getting harder, and I think having more space might help. Then again, it weakens some archetypes if they don't see half of the cube in the draft and never get to pick some key cards.

I could just keep the 600 updated, but run a parallel 720 list and keep the other 120 cards separate, then choose a list when it comes time to draft based on how many people we have, etc.