Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

everyone thinks they'll be in the 50% that doesn't die when thanos snaps. it's how we're wired

I'd sure like to be in the dead half but I'm not that lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

purple death ray posted:

They're saying if the employees openly disagree with the actions of their employers they will be retaliated against

oh, I thought they were just talking about people as part of the official float. thanks for the clarification.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

They're saying that employees can't protest as part of being a Google representative at the parade, like they wouldn't be allowed to protest when being a Google representative at a conference or other event, right? Or are they saying that any Google employee at the parade as an individual would be sanctioned for protesting YouTube policies?

they're clearly trying to imply that it's the former, but you'd have to be incredibly naive to not assume that it's actually the latter

the fact that they're encouraging potential protesters to personally contact management for clarification on ambiguous bits is a red flag

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tri_Becca90/status/1143274140834471936

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the background is that apparently the organizers for the pride parade were considering barring google from having a float because of their failure to enforce policies against harassment on steven crowder and the like: https://news.yahoo.com/sf-pride-considers-excluding-google-233516721.html

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the deadliest blow to a brand is being denied their pride float advertising

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
The gays are the true homophobes imo

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

witchy posted:

a lot of crappier jobs i've held had a decent amount of coordinated goldbricking. sure you might hate your coworkers but you all hate your boss more and they don't pay enough to make you actually care and get stuff done

ya we all stole constantly and covered for each other when I worked in retail

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

they’re absolutely right in the sense that millennials have zero money so their only source of value is giving away all their personal data for pittances

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

they’re absolutely right in the sense that millennials have zero money so their only source of value is giving away all their personal data for pittances

jokes on them, poor person data is worthless.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krankenstyle posted:

jokes on them, poor person data is worthless.

absolutely not! I worked with a guy who added targeted ads to the feature phone version of a popular web site, and it brought in real money. mostly brand ads, IIRC

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

absolutely not! I worked with a guy who added targeted ads to the feature phone version of a popular web site, and it brought in real money. mostly brand ads, IIRC

did you ask him what it was like working in hell, for the devil?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Krankenstyle posted:

nice

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rhesus Pieces posted:

did you ask him what it was like working in hell, for the devil?

nah, we were co-workers. people actually used to complain that there weren’t ads on the feature phone version, like it was an insult or something. humans are strange.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Krankenstyle posted:

Yeah this was similar to my experience in fast food but at the speed turnover happens plus all the other bullshit its hard to form connections with people

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/DavidGilbertCCM/status/1143588630494994432

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

I recognize I'm pretty deep in The Leftist Weirdo Echo Chamber or whatever but it blows my mind that these people actually exist

I barely feel comfortable using Amazon to buy poo poo that I literally cannot find offline, why would I want to go into their weird panopticon store when I have other options

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The was a manga called Bakuman about writing manga and the first one the main character draws is a cyberpunk thriller about selling your intelligence for money. So, we're getting there.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

MaxieSatan posted:

I recognize I'm pretty deep in The Leftist Weirdo Echo Chamber or whatever but it blows my mind that these people actually exist

I barely feel comfortable using Amazon to buy poo poo that I literally cannot find offline, why would I want to go into their weird panopticon store when I have other options

mostly people who work in tech, marketing, or related fields and have completely internalized "big data can be used to make things better"...

...without realizing that the big data is only being used to make one thing better: to make big business better at exploiting them and extracting every last penny out of them

in the case of that reporter, her dad is a multinational business exec who made his dollars in IT outsourcing and healthcare analytics

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
poor people dont really care about that poo poo either but its more because if you're in that store its because it's the cheapest one around so you have no option anyway. like plenty of people i know just go to wal mart because they pretty much have to but it doesnt stop them hating the company and stealing from it all the time

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

so I ordered some of the film these purport to use and those videos are probably faked because it only really works on the screens I’ve tried if you align it exactly right.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Larry Parrish posted:

poor people dont really care about that poo poo either but its more because if you're in that store its because it's the cheapest one around so you have no option anyway. like plenty of people i know just go to wal mart because they pretty much have to but it doesnt stop them hating the company and stealing from it all the time

The Walmart I go to has cameras built into the self-checkouts and they have people standing at the doors to check your receipts to make sure you didn't steal. Every time I go to them I ask if they'd like to see that stuff I stole. They laugh, I laugh, and come winter when I can wear a decently bulky coat I will laugh more when I get home.

gently caress you, Walmart.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Walmart has a reputation for being easy to lift from so I'm not surprised that they're finally doing something about that
Asking to see my receipt at a Walmart like it's Costco is bullshit though. Get out me way nerds

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I always wonder what would happen if you refuse to let them check your stuff? Like, what, are they going to call the police? The only reason I let them look is because the people they get to do it are just wage-slaves like me, and I don't want to make things worse for them.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Screaming Idiot posted:

I always wonder what would happen if you refuse to let them check your stuff? Like, what, are they going to call the police? The only reason I let them look is because the people they get to do it are just wage-slaves like me, and I don't want to make things worse for them.

I think at Walmart they can't force you to show your receipt for no reason so you can just leave. At Costco it's like, obliged by the membership I think

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

they have no right or ability to inspect what is, after the transaction, your property. 'can I see your receipt?' 'no'

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

do they ever actually inspect your stuff at costco? ive never seen them do more than the most cursory glance after you hand them your receipt but then again ive never bought a TV or something

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

yellowD posted:

they have no right or ability to inspect what is, after the transaction, your property. 'can I see your receipt?' 'no'

not sure why they want to see my receipt that just says 20 pounds of bananas on it, pretty boring read imo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

im on the net me boys posted:

I think at Walmart they can't force you to show your receipt for no reason so you can just leave. At Costco it's like, obliged by the membership I think

The worst they can do is ban you from their stores.

If you show up after that, you can be arrested for trespassing.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Screaming Idiot posted:

from experience they don't do anything
assuming you are white

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Screaming Idiot posted:

when i scraped the local dispatch db the #1 and #2 locations for dispatches by a factor of 40x over the #3 slot were the two walmarts in town. they absolutely do call the cops every single time and use the local PD as their free loss prevention force

shoplift from target, not walmart

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

part of the reason why Costco checks everyone's receipts is that if they didn't do it to everyone they tended to profile people

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Jonny 290 posted:

when i scraped the local dispatch db the #1 and #2 locations for dispatches by a factor of 40x over the #3 slot were the two walmarts in town. they absolutely do call the cops every single time and use the local PD as their free loss prevention force

shoplift from target, not walmart

would strongly recommend against shoplifting from target because they are more keen on prosecuting and build cases on people

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh poo poo i think i heard about that yeah, they let you go 3-4 rounds till its felony level? ugh

Dollar general i guess? they're fuckin scumbags

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

just steal time from work it's pretty easy

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Jonny 290 posted:

oh poo poo i think i heard about that yeah, they let you go 3-4 rounds till its felony level? ugh

Dollar general i guess? they're fuckin scumbags

the way I've seen every Dollar General works you could just hop up on the back of the delivery truck and take a whole pallet and they'd never notice or care

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

nevermind, actually

im on the net me boys has issued a correction as of 02:25 on Jun 26, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Pull up, thread, we're getting real close to a mod hammer dropping.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

PMush Perfect posted:

Pull up, thread, we're getting real close to a mod hammer dropping.

use tcc rules: you can talk about shoplifting but don't discuss prices