Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

I am sorry for the off topic, but what is going on with Resetera?

Discord chat logs got leaked and there was loads and loads of users talking about pedophilia.

So basically Mods Knew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Resetera was born in poo poo and by God it will die in poo poo.

Another Jim Sterling video came out today, only part of which touches upon what's almost certainly going to be his new pinata to beat during videos (streaming game services). Just you wait, in a few years the EAs and Ubisofts of the world will make Nintendo Online look like a fun-filled frolic.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Unlucky7 posted:

Long version: A user posted on NeoGAF about joining a invite-only private channel in the ResetEra discord and found pedophiles discussing pedophile things. The storyteller then contacted the admin of ResetEra and posted evidence of the pedophiles. Which the admin then ignored all evidence of and thought this was the storyteller angry over being banned from the ResetEra forums.

Short version:

A big flaming stink posted:

So basically Mods Knew

publishko
Feb 16, 2014

Unlucky7 posted:

At least two different things at the moment:
1) The above mentioned Discord drama where mods and admins were apparently aware of and tolerated pedo poo poo being posted and discussed. I'm not too aware of the details here.
2) Tons of posters, including at least one moderator, were extremely callous, dismissive and downright vicious toward Etika when he was clearly having serious mental health issues. poo poo like "I don't care what happens to that piece of poo poo. stop talking about him." They are now desperately trying to save face and are banning people for engaging in "metacommentary" about the site's culture.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
And in response to the accusations, resetera has been changing the names of everyone involved, wiping their post history, and making it so only authorized users can read past discord chat in resetera discords.

Basically, everything that says to an outside observer 'all these accusations are true'.

Oh, and it turns out that a bunch of resetera people happily acting like assholes in regards to etika.

https://twitter.com/vietnamlevel/status/1143596870167646210

https://twitter.com/AlexanderDHall/status/1143581423833636865

Edit:
https://twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/1143620446211969024

https://twitter.com/calebwysor/status/1143622035362504704

Pharohman777 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 25, 2019

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
SOME MORE NEWS: Perhaps Ben Shapiro Shouldn't Be Taken Seriously By Anyone About Anything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDMjgOYOcDw

RIP Etika.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

OldTennisCourt posted:

I would honestly take 100 Keemstars or Crowders over Boogie. At least those idiots are clear in their bullshit thoughts and opinions, abhorrent they may be. Boogie's brand of 'Say something stupid/controversial then blubber and walk it back' bullshit is humiliating and infuriating in equal measures.
It's kind of lovely to state that you'd rather want someone like Keemstar around in a conversation about the dead dude that he directly joked about wanting to get a mental breakdown so he could make money off of it, harassed, mocked and exploited while dude was so obviously unwell.

It scares the poo poo out of me that soooo many people are so youtubebrained that they can look at such an obvious sucidal mental breakdown with full on psychosis and think that they were doing it for the clout because they hadn't killed themselves yet. Etika could easily have been killed by cops on a livestream a month ago and people still thought he was just interested in getting attention despite having deleted anything of the internet he could have profited off beforehand. It's insane.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Shapiro is such a loathsome, craven worm. I might hate him the most out of the whole lot, even more than the out nazis.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

keemstar is 100 times worse than boogie, dude is Youtube dogshit personified

https://twitter.com/KEEMSTAR/status/1143611165416857602

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Shapiro is such a loathsome, craven worm. I might hate him the most out of the whole lot, even more than the out nazis.
Guy is a grifter through and through

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pharohman777 posted:

And in response to the accusations, resetera has been changing the names of everyone involved, wiping their post history, and making it so only authorized users can read past discord chat in resetera discords.

Basically, everything that says to an outside observer 'all these accusations are true'.

Oh, and it turns out that a bunch of resetera people happily acting like assholes in regards to etika.

https://twitter.com/vietnamlevel/status/1143596870167646210

https://twitter.com/AlexanderDHall/status/1143581423833636865

Edit:
https://twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/1143620446211969024

https://twitter.com/calebwysor/status/1143622035362504704

Yeah I saw that, basically Etika said some stupid and bad poo poo during a mental break down and era went full cancel culture on his rear end and pushed it hard on Twitter, they only backed off when it was kinda obvious he was probably dead. Not everyone on there obviously but enough. gently caress these wannabe virtue signaling assholes. Real progressives don’t help push people off the mental cliff. And right now a lot of them are more worried about how the alt right will respond then actually doing the right thing. Hope the site burns to the ground and takes this Uber outrage shithead poo poo with it. You’re making progressive politics worse by hiding behind it yourself you abrasive fuckers.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/tga_aspie/status/1143637310002479107

https://twitter.com/Chariotter/status/1143630463615066116

https://twitter.com/NTom64_Lyfe/status/1143622007474589696

More etika/resetera stuff.

Going full cancel culture on someone for stuff said during a mental breakdown is utterly loathsome.

edit: at this rate we can probably say that resetera itself was happily bullying etika.

Pharohman777 fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 25, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pharohman777 posted:

https://twitter.com/tga_aspie/status/1143637310002479107

https://twitter.com/Chariotter/status/1143630463615066116

https://twitter.com/NTom64_Lyfe/status/1143622007474589696

More etika/resetera stuff.

Going full cancel culture on someone for stuff said during a mental breakdown is utterly loathsome.

jesus gently caress. this poo poo makes me legit appreciate SA. like we are good and pretty progressive site with mostly great mods and we keep it clean of assholes and chuds. we don't need some super duper vacume sealed echochamber resetera does. because poo poo like that leads to this.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

I've barely post in ResetEra, mostly use it as a news feed for game stuff, I should just start ignoring the site.

It's just so toxic all the goddamn time, it's just tiresome.

RIP Etika.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sarcopenia posted:

It's kind of lovely to state that you'd rather want someone like Keemstar around in a conversation about the dead dude that he directly joked about wanting to get a mental breakdown so he could make money off of it, harassed, mocked and exploited while dude was so obviously unwell.

It scares the poo poo out of me that soooo many people are so youtubebrained that they can look at such an obvious sucidal mental breakdown with full on psychosis and think that they were doing it for the clout because they hadn't killed themselves yet. Etika could easily have been killed by cops on a livestream a month ago and people still thought he was just interested in getting attention despite having deleted anything of the internet he could have profited off beforehand. It's insane.

i think keemstar and crowders are much worse than boogie. keemstar is just lovely gross selfish rear end in a top hat who would sell anyone for buck and operates like a loving ferengi. crowder is just and out and out fascist evangelical. boogie while lovely and awful is more of pathetic snivling shithead who is mocked by everyone and doesn't really have any real power now a days.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Resetera is pretty much becoming the embodiment social justice hypocrisy/bullying online.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pharohman777 posted:

Resetera is pretty much becoming the embodiment social justice hypocrisy/bullying online.

honestly this. like yeah the chuds overhype that poo poo because "i want to shout slurs" but loving resetera and parts of twitter are genuinely stupidly awful and its never towards real monsters either. also this isn't how you convert people to progressive politics. when your a finger waging puritain or bully, people tend to dislike you at best.

Edit.

https://twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/1143648395564933120

https://twitter.com/Zaruian/status/1143648842866462721

here is their sorta apology. i say gently caress em.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 25, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

achillesforever6 posted:

Guy is a grifter through and through

shapiro believes most if not all of it. you can't do the act for this long without becoming the act.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 25, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

shapiro believes most if not all of it. you can't do the act for this long without becoming the act.

yeah, i think he believes alot of it and would go even further if he wasn't jewish or more accurately turned his faith into a gimmick as part of his grift. he would have went full nazi awhile ago. right now he hangs at the very perefery(which is pretty loving fascist already)

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Pharohman777 posted:

I mean, that's what happens when the main purpose for the site initially was NeoGaf 2.0.

Now you got whatever resetera became, and you have the left-overs at NeoGaf (which is now essentially kiwifarms adjacent, and also spent most of its Etika thread bashing resetera and their "SJWs").

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

there's this thing people do where they assume these people know what they're saying is wrong and are just doing it for money. and i can understand that reaction because it's nearly impossible to wrap your head around people arguing things that are so obviously untrue and it's especially obnoxious when they pretend they;re facts over feelings. but, as glenn greenwald once said, the explanation that these people are just stupid is criminally underused.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MechaX posted:

I mean, that's what happens when the main purpose for the site initially was NeoGaf 2.0.

Now you got whatever resetera became, and you have the left-overs at NeoGaf (which is now essentially kiwifarms adjacent, and also spent most of its Etika thread bashing resetera and their "SJWs").

Yeah, they never fixed the various core problems. They just tripled down and will continue to do so. Neogaf much like facepunch is chud territory now and mostly dead.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

there's this thing people do where they assume these people know what they're saying is wrong and are just doing it for money. and i can understand that reaction because it's nearly impossible to wrap your head around people arguing things that are so obviously untrue and it's especially obnoxious when they pretend they;re facts over feelings. but, as glenn greenwald once said, the explanation that these people are just stupid is criminally underused.

Also Glenn became one of those people to an extent so don’t look into that pit for too long.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm not a glenn fan he just happened to be right on that point.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'm not a glenn fan he just happened to be right on that point.

oh i agree. it is a great point. i just found it funny.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Also Glenn became one of those people to an extent so don’t look into that pit for too long.

glenn is literally "show yourself coward, I will never log off" incarnate.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 26, 2019

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
He's also got that really weird dichotomy cognitive dissonance where he constantly talks about how full of poo poo and vacuous the MSM journalism clubs are, but still desperately wishes he could be a part of those clubs.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 26, 2019

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

I don’t think he believes anything. Which is not to say that he’s a hypocrite, but to say that he sees everything as a means to the end of winning an argument. On Monday he’ll call MLK a communist betrayer of the judeo-Christian tradition unworthy of being called a reverend and then on Tuesday he’ll sincerely explain, with tears in his eyes and a quavering voice, that MLK would be a republican today and was the true embodiment of reasonable discourse on race, unlike those communist sjws. And he thinks everyone is like that. He’s terrifying.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol i just got to the part where he says he didn't agree with anything his professors at harvard law said. THAT MAKES YOUR DEGREE USELESS YOU DUMBASS.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
There was a recent BBC interview with Shapiro where the interviewer, who is right leaning himself as I understand it, asked him some mildly challenging questions and Shapiro flew off the drat handle calling the interview a Soros hit job and eventually stopping the interview himself.

Also RE Resetera: Holy poo poo, I figured it had issues since it was the progressive contingent of NeoGAF users that left after its owner got outted as an abuser (Heck, I even did a banme post there), but no worse than GAF ever was. But man, didn't think things were that bad.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Those things that were posted by people from that forum are loving sickening beyond belief. Shouws how utterly fake they are, I guess. That they could post about a human being like that...and for what, exactly?

Beyond the pale. I've been on the Internet a long time but that's shocked me and I couldn't continue to read it.

...So, all I can really say is that I hope Etika is, somehow, at peace now...which just sounds empty because he should still be here. This business that we've chosen can be a horrible thing, and it can do dreadful things to you. And there isn't a single thing that could make those dreadful things deserved. Some people, not here but elsewhere, need to take a long hard look at themselves and their humanity.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

There was a recent BBC interview with Shapiro where the interviewer, who is right leaning himself as I understand it, asked him some mildly challenging questions and Shapiro flew off the drat handle calling the interview a Soros hit job and eventually stopping the interview himself.

Also RE Resetera: Holy poo poo, I figured it had issues since it was the progressive contingent of NeoGAF users that left after its owner got outted as an abuser (Heck, I even did a banme post there), but no worse than GAF ever was. But man, didn't think things were that bad.

yeah the dude talking to shapiro was some old tory hard right winger but alot of the old Tories are smarter at spewing their horrible poo poo then americans.

also resetera its worse because apperently you have to be super vetted to get into resetera so it basically becomes an incestuous shithole that became a super ecochamber. its gonna get alot worse there before it collapses.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I don’t think he believes anything. Which is not to say that he’s a hypocrite, but to say that he sees everything as a means to the end of winning an argument. On Monday he’ll call MLK a communist betrayer of the judeo-Christian tradition unworthy of being called a reverend and then on Tuesday he’ll sincerely explain, with tears in his eyes and a quavering voice, that MLK would be a republican today and was the true embodiment of reasonable discourse on race, unlike those communist sjws. And he thinks everyone is like that. He’s terrifying.

Agreed. Some grifters live inside their lies for so long that they internalize and come to believe them, but I don't think that's Ben. He's cut more from the cloth of someone like Gingrich. A dyed in the wool opportunist who cares about winning first and foremost, and will adopt whatever position or ideology is most convenient to advancing towards the goal line.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is etika the first major youtuber to commit suicide? And after a public breakdown and some questionable bullshit from social engineers possibly goading him into doing it?

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Slowflake1601/status/1143680718746345472

Apparently they're given out 1-2 month bans to everyone in the old threads that participated in bullying etika. Which feels like barely anything considering the guy they were bullying is dead now.

https://twitter.com/ResetEraBanBot/status/1143678147231133697

quote:

Yeh you continue supporting a bigot and attention seaker. Faking suicide for social media attention is pathetic.

That got a user a 1 month ban. There are a ton more as well.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I saw a story about NYPD finding someone earlier today in relation to the search for Etika. but at that point, they hadn't confirmed yet that it was him.

:smith:

I only ever watched a couple of his videos (of which I think were highlights from his streams), but he seemed like an okay dude, and had a lot of energy and personality. It's sad, because it sounds like he had some really serious mental issues, and there were instances in the past where it was evident he brought up about self-harm, but there wasn't any kind of intervention to prevent this.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

also resetera its worse because apperently you have to be super vetted to get into resetera so it basically becomes an incestuous shithole that became a super ecochamber. its gonna get alot worse there before it collapses.

I know there's a requirement that you can't register with a free email account (GMail, Outlook, Yahoo, etc.). I remember there being some rumor that it was to make it easier to determine if you pissed someone off, but it might have just been to stop people from making burner accounts.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm a little wary about this ResetERA drama given that KiwiFarms appears to be leading the charge. They've never let something like the truth get in the way of ruining some SJWs' lives.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

They wouldn't have done anything to those people if this horrible conclusion hadn't been the result. Even if Etika was going through some horrific poo poo...like, that was clear . And not only did they just dismiss it as attention-seeking, they used that reasoning as an excuse to say the most awful things. How does that in any way jive with what they claim to represent in the community? It's blatant that all ResetEra cares about is public image because when they felt they could dismiss it out of hand because he'd said these various things (while in the throes of this horrible episode, but never mind that eh? I mean, it's not like mental health problems screw with your mind), they were fine with people not even just saying "who cares?" but actively trying to paint people who did care as bad, or "complicit" or whatever. They did not care about that.

What a horrific place.

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm a little wary about this ResetERA drama given that KiwiFarms appears to be leading the charge. They've never let something like the truth get in the way of ruining some SJWs' lives.

Mate you can look on the loving threads on ResetEra about Etika. The horrible posts ResetEra members made are literally there for all to see. That's what the culture of that website encouraged. They are NOT loving SJW's - I wouldn't dare sully that term by associating it with the utter pondscum that is ResetEra.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 26, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pharohman777 posted:

https://twitter.com/Slowflake1601/status/1143680718746345472

Apparently they're given out 1-2 month bans to everyone in the old threads that participated in bullying etika. Which feels like barely anything considering the guy they were bullying is dead now.

https://twitter.com/ResetEraBanBot/status/1143678147231133697

That got a user a 1 month ban. There are a ton more as well.

this stuff is so loving horrible and i honestly hope this kills the site. having a progressive site(SA for example) is awesome because but if your gonna allow poo poo like this and basically stereotype the right makes progressives out to be and possibly push a man to sucide because he said the F slur during a legit mental break. like yeah thats lovely but he wasn't some loving skinhead fchud. they don't attack actual bad actors on resetera because they ban discussion of those assholes. instead its just 20 threads about how ubisoft are super racist super facist actual neo nazi because they have dumb pr department or attacking Mike pondsmith over poo poo. its sucks because they tend to get news pretty fast and at times its nice place to lurk but holy gently caress. like if my only understanding of left wing politics was from clowns like resetera. then i feel bad for that moron.

Max Wilco posted:

I saw a story about NYPD finding someone earlier today in relation to the search for Etika. but at that point, they hadn't confirmed yet that it was him.

:smith:

I only ever watched a couple of his videos (of which I think were highlights from his streams), but he seemed like an okay dude, and had a lot of energy and personality. It's sad, because it sounds like he had some really serious mental issues, and there were instances in the past where it was evident he brought up about self-harm, but there wasn't any kind of intervention to prevent this.

I know there's a requirement that you can't register with a free email account (GMail, Outlook, Yahoo, etc.). I remember there being some rumor that it was to make it easier to determine if you pissed someone off, but it might have just been to stop people from making burner accounts.

yeah, he was mostly a nintendo LP person so i never watched him much but christ thats so sad.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

you can go on the various horrible threads and read the various awful posts on resetera for yourself. you don't need kiwifarms for that. thats the excuse resetera uses to not fix it self. i am not even joking.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 26, 2019