Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Buttons has a new video, and he gets to meet the new baby!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAdVvxAKiDs

AAAAAAA AAAAAAAA
(meow)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
A cracker?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Captain Log posted:

Before and After, Birb Consequences Edition -

Before : Stop it, Serra. You're going to get cream cheese beak!

After : Serra, you got cream cheese beak. Don't put your crest up, this is your fault.

This is familiar...

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Pookah posted:

Buttons has a new video, and he gets to meet the new baby!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAdVvxAKiDs

AAAAAAA AAAAAAAA
(meow)
Buttons is such a good guy :3:

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

mikerock posted:

I know.

I am out of town for work for the summer, and my wife is home with her. Scout's out and trying to be cuddly when she's home, but she'll be left home alone a lot and it just isn't safe or fair to her at this point. She wants to be with us, but it's not the right time. I am just worried that she won't recover to the point where it ever will be. Breaks my old man stone heart it does. I don't even want to bring it up with my wife but I know she's thinking it too.

It's a difficult time, and I don't envy you for your position. But I know you and your wife will do whatever is in Scout's best interest. I hope a little longer of a period at the bird hospital will help make things easier.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
When Chirpy had heavy metal poisoning, we had to make the difficult decision to either bring him home so he could die at home, or leave him at the hospital and take the risk that he'd die in a strange place. We took the risk and he recovered. It was an awful time.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Auri sez hi

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

SuperKlaus posted:

This is familiar...

Either you follow my Imgur account, or you remember she absolutely loves english muffins. :downs:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Haha actually I meant the phenomenon of sticking one's beak in goopy food and then getting confused about it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
So uh my grey just knocked on my office door with his beak before walking in.

Where did he learn those manners from.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

He's checking for structural weaknesses to collapse the office on top of you.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Kenshin posted:

Auri sez hi
So handsome!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Elmnt80 posted:

He's checking for structural weaknesses to collapse the office on top of you.

This. Exactly this.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Jose Oquendo posted:

So uh my grey just knocked on my office door with his beak before walking in.

Where did he learn those manners from.

He is a good, polite and observant boy.

Pookie knocks on doors if she's standing on your hand, but if she's on her own on the floor outside the door, she barks. Because obviously when you are at human height, you ask to come in like a person, but when you are at dog height, it's dog rules.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Pookah posted:

He is a good, polite and observant boy.

Pookie knocks on doors if she's standing on your hand, but if she's on her own on the floor outside the door, she barks. Because obviously when you are at human height, you ask to come in like a person, but when you are at dog height, it's dog rules.

Lmao smart bird

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

So Bean the budgie nearly got herself eaten today - she's not much of a flier so I had her out on my shoulder in a room away from Pookie so she'd have some socializing and out-and-about time. She was all snuggled down in the hood of my hoodie so I went back into the kitchen to grab my cup of tea, consciously avoiding going anywhere near Pookie's cage and keeping Bean on the opposite side of me from Pookie.

Nevertheless, just as I was leaving, she popped out of the hood and flew like a rocket across the room to hang on the front of Pookie's cage, right in front of her face - like about an inch away from her beak. Fortunately Pookie was so surprised she just sat there and got puffy and made a few tentative pokes at her with her beak, so I had time to leap over and grab the silly little idiot and whisk her away to safety, all while making hissing noises like a bloody kettle to tell her to keep away (it's our 'DANGER!' noise)

Poor old Pookie just looked really confused about the whole thing and Bean sat looking smug on my hand. Immediately afterwards she fluffed herself up and wagged her tail. I think she thinks she scored a major victory over that weird grey bird. Budgies really are ridiculously belligerent which is kinda funny but also a bit scary.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Every male parakeet I’ve ever had regularly liked to tempt death by harassing the unholy hell out of my cockatiels. Humorously enough, all the cockatiels I’ve had are actively terrified of the male parakeets.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Captain Log posted:

Every male parakeet I’ve ever had regularly liked to tempt death by harassing the unholy hell out of my cockatiels. Humorously enough, all the cockatiels I’ve had are actively terrified of the male parakeets.

I've never seen a cockatiel able to stand up to a budgie - they try but the budgies just seem to wear them down with their persistence.

One time we we were birdsitting our cousins two budgies back when we had Looloo the 'tiel, and since she was so gentle, we had them all out at the same time. One of the budgies, an extremely small guy called Plug spent his whole time just bustling Looloo off her favourite perching places, Ever time she'd land, he'd arrive and sort of shove her off. One time she actually managed to shove him off and she was SO PROUD, she did that big wing dance and everything, but Plug just snuck up behind her and yanked her tail while she was dancing so she fell off :saddowns: .

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Ozzy gave me a warning bite when I asked him if he wanted a shower and gave him my hand to step up on. Normally he'd go for blood in a mad panic. I'm pretty sure in his old home nobody listened when he said no so he had to escalate to a bite immediately. Today, just a gentle squeeze while he cried angrily about his personal space being invaded in a way he didn't like. This is a big step for him!

He did not get a shower. Stinky boy. But he seems incredibly pleased with himself now.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Serra the Cockatiel had a shower, and now she has horns!

RUN! DEVIL BIRB!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
What a cute demon :kimchi:

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

I’m really concerned about what to do with my sweet Pippin the next few months. I just went through a divorce and I’m very ill due to organ problems related to lupus. I’ll essentially be homeless until our house sales and I get 55% of the profits. My mom has said to come stay with her and she will help me get to appointments I’ve been too sick to even drive to and help me get better on my feet, but I can’t bring Coco, my little dog, and my beloved Pippin whom I raised from a hatchling (green cheek conure). I had a friend saying he would watch them both. He runs a dog training business and shelter. However, he’s worried about having Pippin, as he’s rehabbing a dog with strong prey drive and he’s fostering a cat that will be adopted, but isn’t sure how long that will take or her behavior yet.

Do y’all know of ways to help me not lose Pippin completely? I don’t want to rehome him.

Also, what’s a good under-seat aircraft carrier for small birds? I’m moving from Illinois to Texas in the next few days and flying Delta.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

mombot posted:

I’m really concerned about what to do with my sweet Pippin the next few months. I just went through a divorce and I’m very ill due to organ problems related to lupus. I’ll essentially be homeless until our house sales and I get 55% of the profits. My mom has said to come stay with her and she will help me get to appointments I’ve been too sick to even drive to and help me get better on my feet, but I can’t bring Coco, my little dog, and my beloved Pippin whom I raised from a hatchling (green cheek conure). I had a friend saying he would watch them both. He runs a dog training business and shelter. However, he’s worried about having Pippin, as he’s rehabbing a dog with strong prey drive and he’s fostering a cat that will be adopted, but isn’t sure how long that will take or her behavior yet.

Do y’all know of ways to help me not lose Pippin completely? I don’t want to rehome him.

Also, what’s a good under-seat aircraft carrier for small birds? I’m moving from Illinois to Texas in the next few days and flying Delta.

I understand how much it blows to be sick and having to rely on other people. A lot of people don't understand that taking care of birds is a relatively clean venture, aside from their cage bottom. My father was dead set against birds until he spent a week with me in Kansas. Now him and I share a condo and he adores the little feathered friends, and about once a week he says, "You know...I thought birds would be filthy. They actually don't make a mess outside of their cages! I thought there would be poop everywhere!"

Do you think you could explain to your mother just how important your little bird buddy is to you? Do you have a timeframe at all for how long your life is going to be in this state of flux? I'm sure if it's just a few months some friends could help give your birds a temporary home. But if it's potentially years, that's another conversation.

Don't get too overwhelmed. You'll get through this. You can do it. Just keep moving forward and stay as calm as possible.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, see if you can introduce her and show how little mess it is, and with a gcc not much noise either.

Good luck, sorry you're going through all this.

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

DarkHorse posted:

Yeah, see if you can introduce her and show how little mess it is, and with a gcc not much noise either.

Good luck, sorry you're going through all this.

It’s not so much her, but my dad. They’ve stayed here and know Pippin. And I grew up with a pet parakeet so she knows. I’m so frustrated.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

mombot posted:

It’s not so much her, but my dad. They’ve stayed here and know Pippin. And I grew up with a pet parakeet so she knows. I’m so frustrated.

I hope you can convince your dad, but if you can't please don't lose hope. When I was looking at places to re-home Ivan I (shockingly?) found more places that would have been willing to hold him temporarily. Like foster homes, but for an already owned animal. Most of them were willing to do so sub-one year. Maybe you can talk to a bird rescue nearby and see if they have any volunteers or connections that might be able to get you in contact with someone like that?

If I were in a more stable position I would offer to help, so I'm sorry. Please keep trying, you just need one option to work.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

"piss off joey I'm talking to the mirrortiel"

for some reason she's obsessed with the mirror in the bathroom, she will happily sit in this exact spot for several minutes just staring at her reflection

birds

:derptiel:

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Where are you located mombot? There's a chance someone here would be willing or able to foster Pippin during this tough point in your life if you can't sway a parent.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Scout is having seizures at the vet and they’re getting worse. It’s not looking good. I’m traveling back into the city right now and will be going right to the vet.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Sending all my love and hopes that Scout will be ok!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

mikerock posted:

Scout is having seizures at the vet and they’re getting worse. It’s not looking good. I’m traveling back into the city right now and will be going right to the vet.

Hang in there, Mikerock. We're thinking of you.

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
Scallop had his first bath/shower yesterday.

We had just finished a bit of clicker training and I was playing the get him to get in the cage game (put him near food or water so he forgets I'm trying to put him in the cage). Got him on the water bowl and he started flicking water on his head so I grabbed the spray bottle. Gave him a few test mists and he started fluffing up to get water everywhere so I knew he was into it.

I was so proud of him.

Today he has been acting like a little poo poo, only wants to get on my head. Accepts my shoulder but doesn't accept my ear being there. He shoved his head into my ear multiple times and has been biting/licking the edge.

Last week I was stressing over everything, thinking I might not be good enough to look after him but I'm feeling much better about it now. Whenever he gets scared over a noise he looks straight at me then runs over and jumps on me, he might bite me sometimes but I'm starting to feel like he really trusts me.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

mikerock posted:

oh honey :(

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Only good thoughts for Scout. I hope she is okay :(

Ansith posted:

Scallop had his first bath/shower yesterday.

We had just finished a bit of clicker training and I was playing the get him to get in the cage game (put him near food or water so he forgets I'm trying to put him in the cage). Got him on the water bowl and he started flicking water on his head so I grabbed the spray bottle. Gave him a few test mists and he started fluffing up to get water everywhere so I knew he was into it.

I was so proud of him.

Today he has been acting like a little poo poo, only wants to get on my head. Accepts my shoulder but doesn't accept my ear being there. He shoved his head into my ear multiple times and has been biting/licking the edge.

Last week I was stressing over everything, thinking I might not be good enough to look after him but I'm feeling much better about it now. Whenever he gets scared over a noise he looks straight at me then runs over and jumps on me, he might bite me sometimes but I'm starting to feel like he really trusts me.

It takes time to build trust, but believe that you're being a great birb parent. Scallop is a cutie, and you are gonna be great friends for each other

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

mikerock posted:

Oh man, I'm sorry.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

mikerock posted:

:sympathy: I wish the best for the three of you, I'm sorry this is happening. No one should have to deal with this.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Scout is still with us but it's bad.

It is some sort of neurological issue which they can't adequately diagnose partly because her seizing doesn't allow them to do the tests they want to do. Dr. McDonald explained that neurological issues are difficult to diagnose and treat even under the best circumstances. She does suspect it could be related to a bacterial infection which is releasing neuro-toxins, which she is attempting to treat her for. We have been cautioned, however, that if the treatment doesn't work we should be seriously contemplating the Big Decision, as this is basically the last treatment option she has. However, she told us that if everything works, we should see improvement in about 48 hours.

Dr. McDonald has worked very hard for Scout and she is upset too to see this happening to her after all the care she has been given by her, her team, and us. When my wife brought Scout back to Night Owl on Tuesday, she even took Scout home with her so she could monitor her herself overnight. She also pointed out that nothing we did or could have done while she was home for those few days would have caused this situation.

I'd also like to thank you all for your kind comments and well wishes, it helps, it really does.

Here's our little peg leg today getting all the scritches and cuddles:

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Best of luck to you. Scout is a fighter.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Scout has beaten the odds from day one. I'm sending all my love. Stay strong and know anyone here is happy to talk if you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Ah jeez, poor Scout, and poor Mikerock and family :( She's obviously such a tough little hen but c'mon Fate, give her a break! - she's really earned one. Sending all my very best wishes to all of you for her speedy recovery.