Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008
What's a good civ game these days? I guess maybe someone along the lines of clash of Cultures, civ: a new Dawn, and I guess twilight imperium, although 3 hours or less would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

If you want a short-ish 4X game, your options are Civ: New Dawn, March of the Ants, and Flow of History. Civ: New Dawn is the one with the largest tech tree and the greatest emphasis on advancement. I think March of the Ants is the closest to the traditional 4X formula. Flow of History is a card game with a mix of bidding elements and traditional civ progression, but it is also the fastest of the three.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
New Through the Ages hits about 3 hours.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Bottom Liner posted:

Antiquity tiles came in and they are great

and most importanty, the box closes fully :discourse:

Played a couple of games of my friends copy of these with these tiles, could not imagine trying to do so with a bunch of similarly colored cardboard tokens, all with little muddy symbols on them. Splitter has a serious garbage visual designer, drat.

I just wish whoever made the tiles also changed the pictures so they weren't those washed out blurs.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I posted some board games for sale (or trade) in SA mart https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3892682

Please buy some of my games so I can buy more and my wife won't get mad at me

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Bottom Liner posted:

Antiquity tiles came in and they are great

and most importanty, the box closes fully :discourse:

How? And what sort of tray are you using? Looks like for beads or something? My antiquity box isn't close to closing properly.

I unironically would love to see you post pictures of how your box is set up.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/ulible/status/1143862800550436866

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

loving finally

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

I'm out of the loop. Tell me about this?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

armorer posted:

I'm out of the loop. Tell me about this?

Die Macher is one of the early heavy Euros (and I believe it was Mayveena who pulled up an archived usenet post from '89 when she talked about this weird new German game). When it was reprinted in the 90s when the board game market was built on German style family games it was kind of a window to today's Euro design of gears within gears not totally dissimilar to what Terra Mystica looked like when it came out. I think it was the first board game submitted to BGG.

It's still a good game that's kind of a blend of area control with some open drafting. Everyone is a politician who stands for various hot button issues. These issues have positive and negative opinions in the different regions that will participate in the election. You're trying to influence the election, either by altering the public perception of the issues or your stance on the issues. Because you can see future elections you have to make decisions about where to allocate resources, like maybe flip-flopping will help you now but will kill you two regions down the line or maybe you intentionally ignore this vote to pool all your resources into the next one for a leg up.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

al-azad posted:

Die Macher is one of the early heavy Euros (and I believe it was Mayveena who pulled up an archived usenet post from '89 when she talked about this weird new German game). When it was reprinted in the 90s when the board game market was built on German style family games it was kind of a window to today's Euro design of gears within gears not totally dissimilar to what Terra Mystica looked like when it came out. I think it was the first board game submitted to BGG.

It was. It's worth noting also that it was still in the BGG top 10 ranked games as recently as 2005 or 2006.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
Its also great because the previous edition has a manual printed entirely in comic sans

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It would be hilarious if the second edition continues to be the best one. There have been rumors that the new one has some weird rules changes.

When I got Die Macher, it really shone a critical light to all my Lacerda games. I’ll keep Lisboa as a more convoluted Concordia but die Macher is a much sleeker version of Gallerist and Kanban.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 26, 2019

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Thread darling 7th Continent is getting a cut-down retail release

Serious Poulp posted:

For months now, we’ve been receiving daily an influx of messages asking if The 7th Continent will be available again in the future, as well as alerting us about the rampant speculation on the subject on the second-hand market.

Given the cost of producing the game, it still isn’t feasible to offer a version that can be distributed via traditional means. However, we have thought long and hard about if it really wasn’t possible to propose it to these players that only discovered Kickstarter, or board gaming in general, too late to take part in the campaigns. Of course, this would have to be a more “limited” version of the game and one that would be sold directly in order to maintain an “acceptable” price point.

By excluding all the “Kickstarter Exclusive” content (plastic figures, exclusive cards, magnifying glass, etc.) and only keeping the “essential” components of the game, we’ve managed to assemble a “Classic Edition” that will be release in the 4th Quarter, in English and French.

It's also getting a sequel on KS in 2020.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
We played Across the United States last night from OKAZU Brand (Japanese). It's really good if you like a nice straightforward pick up and deliver game. I called it Empire Builder 2019 on Facebook :). Thing is, it's lacking in components and the player aids are in Japanese. The English rules are on BGG so no worries there. Note that they completely cheaped out on the components so you'll have to do something about the houses all being the same color. It's available from amazon.jp and I was able to have them ship it directly to me in the States within a week.

Recommended.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

It would be hilarious if the second edition continues to be the best one. There have been rumors that the new one has some weird rules changes.

They've done this to Power Grid of all games as well. I need to get a base map and China/Korea in the old style before they become impossible to get.

(no longer lose plants that are obsolete based on city count, instead use the Deluxe $1 plant rule. Also don't support proper 2p games in the rules, instead using the Trust rules from Deluxe).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Translation: "what with people selling their replacement cards for £25 because they comprise everything you need to play the game bar a few tokens, we've realised that we can't scam fuckwits for £120 any more and our entire remaining stock is worthless".

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The new edition of Die Macher is revised and has some pretty key changes from the previous Valley version (not to say that's better or worse) but you may want to read up on that here if you plan on backing: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2217951/rules-comparision-limited-edition-vs-valley-games

In general it seems like the changes reduce luck and reduce play time, although perhaps at the expense of player interaction/negotiation.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If I were to "fix" anything from Die Macher it would be the random chance cards. They're usually so situational that it's an absolute waste to bother with them which makes them poor bargaining chips, something modern political board games like Corporate America have fixed.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Correction to my Across the United States recommendation. There's an error in the translation meaning you don't have to sub in different housing and the game is now even better.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

FulsomFrank posted:

How? And what sort of tray are you using? Looks like for beads or something? My antiquity box isn't close to closing properly.

I unironically would love to see you post pictures of how your box is set up.

Yeah it’s just a bead box from Walmart.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Mayveena posted:

We played Across the United States last night from OKAZU Brand (Japanese). It's really good if you like a nice straightforward pick up and deliver game. I called it Empire Builder 2019 on Facebook :). Thing is, it's lacking in components and the player aids are in Japanese. The English rules are on BGG so no worries there. Note that they completely cheaped out on the components so you'll have to do something about the houses all being the same color. It's available from amazon.jp and I was able to have them ship it directly to me in the States within a week.

Recommended.

Interestingly enough I just got a marketing email from Meeple Source and they are selling it: https://www.meeplesource.com/proddetail.php?prod=AcrossUnitedStates

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

T-Bone posted:

Interestingly enough I just got a marketing email from Meeple Source and they are selling it: https://www.meeplesource.com/proddetail.php?prod=AcrossUnitedStates

Multi-track drifting?!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

T-Bone posted:

It’s cheaper from amazon.jp. $70 shipped vs $70 plus shipping.

Pure pick up and deliver game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

This is hilarious. On the info segment of the BM&O and German rails winsome news, they include:

Designer: Eddie Robbins (John Bohrer)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
give everyone in this thread a (John Bohrer) avatar

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Giving a thumbs up to Pax Pamir 2e. It really is a two-point-oh as it's 90% the same game but the wonkier rules have been streamlined. I still find the game to be too dry in a series of games known for being chaotic and emergent but the result is easily the most strategic Pax game.

It's interesting that I don't think any of the Pax games (haven't played Emancipation) replace each other but rather supplement each other. PaPa2 has the best board strategy but lacks the wild dynamism of PaxPor's card play which lacks the ruthless Machiavellian flow of PaxRen.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
https://twitter.com/CranioCreations/status/1144002656429645825

al-azad
May 28, 2009

They should've work shopped that tagline just a little harder.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

al-azad posted:

They should've work shopped that tagline just a little harder.

Shopping is women's work.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Wow, that's terrible. Here's to hoping it doesn't affect Eggertspiele too much by proxy; CranioCreations (the company behind that tweet) are just localizing the game, but I'd wager plenty of people will see it and say "well gently caress THAT game" :/

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Merauder posted:

Wow, that's terrible. Here's to hoping it doesn't affect Eggertspiele too much by proxy; CranioCreations (the company behind that tweet) are just localizing the game, but I'd wager plenty of people will see it and say "well gently caress THAT game" :/
Count me among them.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Still, much love to “hashtag mattel a cock”.

Some Strange Flea fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 27, 2019

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
yea i seriously don't want to play it even though it looks like the kind of game i'd like.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
And the tweet is gone.

Edit: For anyone late to the party, it said "roll and write is for children, roll and build is for men".

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

al-azad posted:

Giving a thumbs up to Pax Pamir 2e. It really is a two-point-oh as it's 90% the same game but the wonkier rules have been streamlined. I still find the game to be too dry in a series of games known for being chaotic and emergent but the result is easily the most strategic Pax game.

It's interesting that I don't think any of the Pax games (haven't played Emancipation) replace each other but rather supplement each other. PaPa2 has the best board strategy but lacks the wild dynamism of PaxPor's card play which lacks the ruthless Machiavellian flow of PaxRen.

I just want my copy and then to stain it like other people have :(

Sounds like if I'm lucky it'll be here today or tomorrow just in time for the long-weekend.

VVV Everyone's work I've seen looks great so far, which makes me hopeful that I can scratch together something myself.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 27, 2019

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

FulsomFrank posted:

I just want my copy and then to stain it like other people have :(

Sounds like if I'm lucky it'll be here today or tomorrow just in time for the long-weekend.

Oh I guess I never posted the results of my paxpam ruler tokens in here. Thought I did.

https://twitter.com/Ravendas16/status/1143507060807671809

You don't have to stain them to make them look good. Some cheap craft paint and drybrushing works well too.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

PMush Perfect posted:

And the tweet is gone.

Edit: For anyone late to the party, it said "roll and write is for children, roll and build is for men".

They do have a habit of saying stupid things but really the vitriol they get is unwarranted in my opinion. They are just games after all :v:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mayveena posted:

They do have a habit of saying stupid things but really the vitriol they get is unwarranted in my opinion. They are just games after all :v:

It's more than just a game, it's a community and culture and it doesn't take much effort to not rely on 90s style "BE A MAN!" marketing in 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
You gotta yell at someone.