Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

xtothez posted:

Did some math-hammer on this and got some interesting results. For reference:
Ork Stompa 8W, 6+ Sv, 49PL
Nid Hierophant 8W, 3+ Sv, 95PL
Warhound Titan 12W, 5+ Sv, 60PL
Reaver Titan 24W, 5+ Sv, 100-154PL
Warlord Titan 36W, 4+ Sv, 154-244PL

Assuming average rolling:
You need 10 large blast markers to kill a Stompa (8.3 wounds inflicted after 6+ save on a D6).
You need 35 large blast markers to kill a Hierophant (inflicting 7.6 wounds after 3+ save on a D6)
You need 14 large blast markers to kill a Warhound (inflicting 11.6 wounds after 5+ save on a D6 - ignoring void shield rule for Warhound as it removes small over large markers)
You need 37 large blast markers to kill a Reaver (36 after void shield rule, inflicting 23.8 wounds after 5+ save on a D6)
You need 73 large blast markers to kill a Warlord (72 after void shield rule, inflicting 36 wounds after 4+ save on a D6)

3+ saves in this game are gold.

Hooray math!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Lizard Combatant posted:

Speaking of forgeworld, I'm seriously considering a Crassus Transport for my Vostroyan force since it looks so drat Soviet. Anyone care to talk me out of it?

Think of how much borscht you can make/eat with that money instead comrade!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Vostroyans have a more pre-Soviet cossack look, but I don't know how one would translate that into an AM list now that rough-riders aren't a thing.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Corrode did a Goonhammer write-up on the new Maelstrom rules. They kick rear end, and add a ton of much-needed depth to the system. I personally hope they lead to more cards at some point, particularly cards that look more like ITC secondaries. The early feedback I've gotten from players in my campaign using the rules has been very positive.

Anyways, read part 1 of the two-part series here:
https://www.goonhammer.com/the-new-maelstrom-rules-and-you-part-1/

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

moths posted:

Vostroyans have a more pre-Soviet cossack look, but I don't know how one would translate that into an AM list now that rough-riders aren't a thing.

Exactly, but the colours I chose existed well into the Soviet era. A honking great soviet tank is the best I can do for a transport.

DandyLion posted:

Think of how much borscht you can make/eat with that money instead comrade!

In terms of moving 30+ guard its rather cost effective.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 25, 2019

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I picked some Vostroyans up for KT and they've got a really hard theme to integrate / expand upon.

The closest I've come is using Empire pistolier heads for stormtroopers and hoping to find cheap Kislev models on ebay.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Tyranid highlight is up and looks promising. There's a number of units with damage aura effects that might see the table for the first time in a while (Toxicrenes look fun) and Synapse works the way you figured it would: Apocalypse Faction Focus: Tyranid Hive Fleets

Adrenal Glands sounds fun/funny.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

PierreTheMime posted:

There's a number of units with damage aura effects that might see the table for the first time in a while (Toxicrenes look fun)

They posted this on facebook:

SatelliteCore
Oct 16, 2008

needa get dat cake up

How does this work? You send them a list of what you want prices for, they send back prices, you agree, and then they send an invoice?

I've rarely purchased GW stuff outside of amazon or ebay.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SatelliteCore posted:

How does this work? You send them a list of what you want prices for, they send back prices, you agree, and then they send an invoice?

I've rarely purchased GW stuff outside of amazon or ebay.

Yup. That's exactly how it works.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
How are Tyranids in 8th?

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

GreenMarine posted:

How are Tyranids in 8th?

From my experience they are pretty solid, but I feel that they tend to have issues with targets on the upper end of durability. Most of their really cool models are mediocre to bad, but can be okay in casual games.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
There are a few builds that fare pretty well competitively, but yeah they have major problems dealing with high armor targets. Played correctly Knights can wreck them, but they’re generally good-to-great in most 8th Ed games. They’re far better/more fun than 5th-7th.

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

Do we know enough about Apocalypse to determine if just buying a lot of SM Dreadnoughts is going to be viable at all? I love the big stomping coffins and could finally have a reason to buy a bunch.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Malthusian posted:

Do we know enough about Apocalypse to determine if just buying a lot of SM Dreadnoughts is going to be viable at all? I love the big stomping coffins and could finally have a reason to buy a bunch.

Nope.

You should do it anyway.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I know I'm late to breaking superglue chat but I found that instead of just freezing I'll freeze overnight, then go ham on it with a hairdryer until it's hot as hell, refreeze then break. Really hard ones you can do this multiple times, every time the bonds get more brittle as it expands and contracts.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Here’s the result of all my kitbashing this year. I’m finally going through it to see if I happen to have enough for another 30 boyz.

This isn’t a brag, this is really going to suck.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

Gameko posted:

I love the purple and green. Need more purple models up in here.

Doing my best with this sneaky git:

I don't get enough chances to use purple so this was a nice change of pace from a horde of Goffs.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Didn't notice the camo pants earlier. Looks great!

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

GigaFuzz posted:

I don't get enough chances to use purple so this was a nice change of pace from a horde of Goffs.

I love how the purple for sneakiness is becoming more common

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Done! 1000 points of orks done since I started in November. I've really accelerated as I've gone along. I managed to get five boyz done in December. I finished another five, plus a warboss and three kanz in January/February. March was a bit dead, but then I got ten boyz done in April, three bikes, a shokkjump dragsta and megatrakk scrapjet in May, and then a painboy, five nobz (plus ammo grot) and a battlewagon this month. I really need to paint more boyz (plus at least one more HQ to make a legal battalion), but I'm really happy with how far I've come in that time. I can't wait to get these lads onto the table!

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

xtothez posted:

Found some Ork PL levels they hosed up slightly, so I wouldn't rule out any errors. They did just re-write several hundred unit entries in one go.

Looted Wagons are 3 PL like a kart (Russes are around 10 PL), battle fortresses show 8PL/12PL depending which page you look at (Baneblades are 25-28 PL).

Deathwatch seem to have some issues as well. Nothing to big but a few things don't seem right (mostly intercessors and reivers).

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

GigaFuzz posted:

That """silencer""" is incredible.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

GigaFuzz posted:

That's really cool

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

That's really cool

Thanks, now I just need to make a couple of friends for him so I can give my Orks a proper go in Kill Team. I wasn't much of a fan of the GW Kommandos kit so I got some third party bits from Kromlech and Spellcrow to make some up.

Tiger Millionaire posted:

That """silencer""" is incredible.

I'm glad it comes across well. I was worried it wouldn't look right. Just don't ask how it actually 'works'...

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Hey ANAmal.net and I did a second installment of Your Legion Sucks. Come for the salt over Space Wolves, stay for the diminishing comedy returns. https://www.goonhammer.com/your-legion-sucks-part-2/

Also big thanks to Booley, Pendent, Hixson, and RichyP for helping with images this week. You guys rock.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I played yet another game with my trip bat GSC+IG. The list has most the HQs, 5 warlords, 3 relics, both vigilus detachments, two big groups of acolytes (one with lotsa saws, one with flamers and lotsa demo charges), a big ol' aberrant group, 2 punisher leman russ commanders, 2 goliath rockgrinders and a bunch of other poo poo. GSC is incredibly complex, so to help myself i made a cheat sheet, with what to remember in the different phases and stratagems and so on. I also put down the auras I need to keep track off when models go down, fight, and so on.

code:

Auras:	
	+1 to hit in fight phase (CULT) within 9 inches from primus
	Reroll 1s to wound (CULT and CULT AMBUSH) within 9 inches of primus, against primuses 'meticulous planning' target
	Autopass morale within 9 inches of primus (pauper princes relic)
	4+ to figth/shoot when dies within 9 inches of primus (pauper prince, INF/BIKE, relic)
	Autopass morale (cult or brood brothers) within 6 inches of patriarch
	6+ FNP (CULT INF//BIKE, reroll 1 for aberrants) within 6 inches of iconward
	1+ str (CULT INF/BIKE) within 6 of iconward (relic)
	Reroll failed morale for cult within 6 of iconward
	Heroic intervention within 6 inches of magus for (CULT INF/BIKE)
	Within 6 of magus, (CULT) units get 12 inch deny ability
	+1 charge and advance within 6 of clamavus
	+1 leadereship within 6 of clamavus

Enemy effect auras: 
	-1 psychic if within 12 of abominant (not tyranid)
	No deep strike within 12 of clamavus 
	Each enemy unit roll d6(mortal on 6) within 6 of clamavus

Specific auras: 
	Broodsurge reroll charge and advance within 6 of iconward
	Throng +1 charge within 6 inches of abominant
	Aberrant (CULT) natural 6 hitrolls = two hits with 6 inches of abominant

It all works pretty well and I'm getting the hang of it but drat my brain is like working overtime, steam out of the ears and everything, trying to keep track of everything in the different phases and so on, especially when turn 2 rolls around and I have to place all those assholes with their various retinues.

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 26, 2019

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

TheChirurgeon posted:

Hey ANAmal.net and I did a second installment of Your Legion Sucks. Come for the salt over Space Wolves, stay for the diminishing comedy returns. https://www.goonhammer.com/your-legion-sucks-part-2/

Also big thanks to Booley, Pendent, Hixson, and RichyP for helping with images this week. You guys rock.

Iron Hands are my favs and I wish they had actually good rules

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

This rules.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I played yet another game with my trip bat GSC+IG. The list has most the HQs, 5 warlords, 3 relics, both vigilus detachments, two big groups of acolytes (one with lotsa saws, one with flamers and lotsa demo charges), a big ol' aberrant group, 2 punisher leman russ commanders, 2 goliath rockgrinders and a bunch of other poo poo. GSC is incredibly complex, so to help myself i made a cheat sheet, with what to remember in the different phases and stratagems and so on. I also put down the auras I need to keep track off when models go down, fight, and so on.

code:
Auras:	
It all works pretty well and I'm getting the hang of it but drat my brain is like working overtime, steam out of the ears and everything, trying to keep track of everything in the different phases and so on, especially when turn 2 rolls around and I have to place all those assholes with their various retinues.

Yeah compared to Tyranids, GSC rules are nuts. I picked up a few of the new characters and I'm so glad I didn't get all of them because tracking those stacking unit buffs / warlord traits / psychic powers without leaving a unit 1" out of position is hard.

TheChirurgeon posted:

When you run out of chapters we need to see Your Faction Sucks because this is too fantastic to stop.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

TheChirurgeon posted:

You have captured perfectly why I love the Iron Hands. One of these days I’ll actually play them in something more than Kill Team.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
My brother just texted me that he's decided to get into 40K and he really likes the Aesthetics of the regular blue Space Marines and the Gray knights as a supporting Army. He's wanting to shoot for about two thousand points. I want to help advise him so he gets something that isn't a poo poo Army that gets wrecked, I also want to point him in the right direction of box sets or whatever that are a good value. Any write-ups or recommendations?

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

TheChirurgeon posted:

Not a single mention of handcrafted nipple armour for BA? Weak.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

TheChirurgeon posted:

I laughed my rear end off, but the Imperial Fists are distinctly a Charlotte country club level of boring white bread.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

My brother just texted me that he's decided to get into 40K and he really likes the Aesthetics of the regular blue Space Marines and the Gray knights as a supporting Army. He's wanting to shoot for about two thousand points. I want to help advise him so he gets something that isn't a poo poo Army that gets wrecked, I also want to point him in the right direction of box sets or whatever that are a good value. Any write-ups or recommendations?

For regular space marines, the Dark Imperium box set is a pretty good place to start. I don't think there are any box sets for Grey Knights right now. Regular Space Marines are solid right now, they're not world beating though.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

TheChirurgeon posted:

This is genuinely funny and I like it.

e: VVVV thirded VVVV

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 26, 2019

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

xtothez posted:

When you run out of chapters we need to see Your Faction Sucks because this is too fantastic to stop.
Agreed.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Not a single mention of handcrafted nipple armour for BA? Weak.

We were going to make jokes about the servitors whose only task is to hammer nipples into the armor plate of each of the chapter's lovely blond Draculas, but then felt we were making too many nipple jokes and another, nipplier legion already had a stronger claim
I do not need to tell you which legion they are

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

This stuff is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Nthing the praise for Your Legion Sucks.

That article series on the Imperial Fists that's also started on Goonhammer is also great.