Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TremorX posted:

So... uh, CE or not CE, if/when I get the CSL am I going to fret that every time it turns on could be its last like the T300?

IDK I had my old porsche fanatec for 5 years and sold it to a buddy and he still uses it. I occasionally had driver issues since that model was discontinued and they stopped updating them I think, but the hardware was fine. I have a clubsport now and it works great every time.

The fanatec belt drives as far as I know are pretty reliable now. Its the brand new direct drives which are giving people so many issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Okay, that puts my mind at ease. I just wanna get back to racing!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I still rally with a controller because I'm too lazy to move the wheel and stand 8 feet to the desk.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Finally dropped the money on a cross-training setup today.

Also picked up the rubber brake pedal insert upgrade after some reading. Just need to build a small frame to mount my spare race seat w/ side mounts to.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

So I'm going to turn a few got laps at Paul Ricard this weekend to familiarize myself before watching the GP Sunday.

Am I the only one that finds it hard to tell where the gently caress the actual circuit is on the giant blob of concrete?

Eventually you get used to it, really the only spot that's ever actually difficult for most people is spotting the chicane on the back straight and there's gonna be enough cones and brake markers around the one you're using to make it clear.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I ordered the CSL Elite LC pedals. I think my next excuse for why I'm still bad is going to be "using an office chair".

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Until you're in a full motion rig with 4k vr setup, dd wheel and hydraulic pedals the correct excuse for being slow I'm sim racing is "my tools"

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

NtotheTC posted:

Until you're in a full motion rig with 4k vr setup, dd wheel and hydraulic pedals the correct excuse for being slow I'm sim racing is "my tools"

:hmmyes:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Mr. Powers posted:

I ordered the CSL Elite LC pedals. I think my next excuse for why I'm still bad is going to be "using an office chair".

I built a little frame to lock my office chair to my pedals somewhat, made a significant difference:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do not go straight from the beach to simracing.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
Or race with your socks off if you got abrasive pedal pads.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

My pedals have a solid patina of sock racing. I also only clean them with warm water, never with soap. It destroy the sock patina.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I only race in the finest of clearance footwear.

Good deal at the Puma outlet near me.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I built a little frame to lock my office chair to my pedals somewhat, made a significant difference:

how's the fanatec wheel base desk clamp

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
It's... Okay? The CSL Elite base comes with a plastic clamp, and it clamps alright, but it's a bit if a pain to get set. I think the clubsport clamp would work a lot better. I have the clubsport clamp for the gear shift and it's more solid.

simble
May 11, 2004

I'll sell either of you the clubsport clamp for $30+shipping. I thought I'd have a use for it, but it turns out I don't.

PM me or I'm on the racing goons discord if you want to message me there.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
Like the elite LC pedals so much I just ordered the elite v1.1 wheelbase and McLaren GT3 rim

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
Trip report part 3: My downstairs neighbour came knocking late at night because my wheel was making too much noise through the floor (she wasn't mad and we're on pretty friendly terms). This never happened with my T500RS, so I guess I now have some solid testimony that the Clubsport wheel has a bit more power (BTW I haven't RMA'd it yet because I'm waiting for Fanatec to email me the return labels, which has so far taken them a week to sort out).

So now I need to dampen the noise somehow. I have a hardwood floor, so I can imagine that kerb and crash effects will be heard downstairs... Perhaps some sort of mat under the wheel stand. Has anyone had the same problem and have found a good solution?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Look up Sorbothane. It dampens vibrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yoga mat under your rig?

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
I use a 3/4" weight lifting shock mat tiles, I think you can also get a roll of similar materials for treadmills

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I got a large mat from Home Depot that's halfway between a rug and a giant welcome mat. It doesn't take much to dampen the sound as long as nothing is in direct contact with the hardwood.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
Thanks for the suggestions! It looks like Soborthane products aren't quite available in Europe. I blame Trump.

As a quick fix I got a very cheap camping sleeping pad that I cut to size so it makes a double layer under the wheel stand. Maybe it will become a permanent fix - I might grab Dirt Rally 2.0 during the Steam summer sale so I can really put the padding to test.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The other hilarious Fanatec thing that is happening recently, aside from 9 out of 10 DD wheels being DOA is people buying the DD wheel as their first sim wheel and proceeding to mount it to a TV tray

The Facebook Fanatec group really is an unending source of entertainment

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Please tell me there is a video of someone holding their wheel when they hit a wall and the TV tray just spins around in front of them.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I put a layer of those anti-fatigue mats you can get for standing up at work under my DFGT rig, and it did a great job of dampening the noise.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

The 037 and Porsche RWD GRP B are out for Dirt Rally 2.0

The 037 is pretty bloody great. I hardly ever drive RWD let alone GRP B and managed 11th - 20s off the record. I did one run in the Porsche before and I beat it by 23s in the 037. It feels so tight and the car almost feels like it turns in telepathically. I would expect all the fastest times to be with the 037 now.

Here is some video. First half is in car, 2nd half is roadside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ba310Onagc

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Sooooo.....how about that VR patch in DR 2.0?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

tuo posted:

Sooooo.....how about that VR patch in DR 2.0?

Is it summer yet?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Probably right there with iracing ai

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Mr. Powers posted:

Is it summer yet?

depends

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
getting caught up on this thread reminded me that I apparently bought Wreckfest way way back? And it's actually pretty goddamn fun now? :swoon:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I built a $50 'rig' setup to house my poo poo this week and I'm about 15hr of driving time in between AC and iRacing. That learning curve of having no rear end-dyno is frustrating, good god. Also, people are loving fast, wtf.

Is there a goon iracing group or whatever?

I ordered an arduino clone to make a GIMX adapter for some PS4 GT Sport fun, hopefully that works alright. Also kinda want to build a handbrake from a pressure transducer + ebay handbrake, but that can wait.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 5, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Some off the rear end dyno stuff goes away with better feedback from things like buttkickers. If you really wanna go nuts you can put a buttkicker at each of the 4 corners of the rig and set them up to simulate all sorts of stuff. Then one in the center set to do just engine vibrations :hfive:

I have just a single one doing all of it and it’s still really helpful.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 5, 2019

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Thank you, Jim, I'll take a look at some of the wikis for that :)

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Absolutely. The discord is much more active than the thread.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BlackMK4 posted:

:getin:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Alright, I joined both :v: I just need to learn to drive more betterer

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I didn't realise buttkickers could help with car feeling, figured it was more immersion only. What controls do they have that can simulate grip levels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

NtotheTC posted:

I didn't realise buttkickers could help with car feeling, figured it was more immersion only. What controls do they have that can simulate grip levels?

Look up Simvibe, a function of SimXperience. You put the bass shaker on its own sound card, and the software uses the telemetry from supported titles (every sim posted about in this thread) to directly react to the engine, or wheel slip, or bumps, or whatever, instead of just bass in general. If you wanna go nuts, then you can do what Ballguy said and run multiple shakers through it for different effects.

Without the software, they react to bass, like a subwoofer, except with far less noise despite providing stellar bass. They're loving great, especially for games with booming guns. I love mine for WW2 flight sims, as you get a nice THWUMP from shooting cannons.