Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
That scramble led to a free for the Dutch because you had people kicking wildly for the ball right underneath a player who had fallen over, come on. It’s textbook dangerous play, even if you consider it gamesmanship for the Dutch player to have fallen on the ball in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

No games tomorrow, right?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

skasion posted:

That scramble led to a free for the Dutch because you had people kicking wildly for the ball right underneath a player who had fallen over, come on. It’s textbook dangerous play, even if you consider it gamesmanship for the Dutch player to have fallen on the ball in the first place.

They were entitled to kick the ball, she can't shield it like that. You can't fall on the ball! It's no more innocent than the Japanese player who was carded and the Dutch given a penalty kick for a 'trying-to-avoid' handball.

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA

Grimson posted:

And moving down behind her back. This new pen rule is insane. Just lob it into a defenders arm in the penalty area and hey you get a pen, you get a pen! And you get a pen too!
Svein-Erik Edvartsen is the most staunch defender of the new rules I've seen. Which, if you've ever seen him ref a match, tells you everything you need to know.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Aggro posted:

Interestingly this call would result in an indirect kick in the box which I fully support seeing more of

IFKs are cool and good and probably should happen more often.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

habeasdorkus posted:

IFKs are cool and good and probably should happen more often.

Yeah, there's nothing like seeing defenders constantly rushing towards the kicker before the whistle is even blown.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I just watched the replay of Netherlands-Japan and that handball call was bullshit. And then later a Dutch defender laid down on top of the ball and the ref blew the whistle and gave possession to the Netherlands?!? What the hell was that garbage?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I just watched the replay of Netherlands-Japan and that handball call was bullshit. And then later a Dutch defender laid down on top of the ball and the ref blew the whistle and gave possession to the Netherlands?!? What the hell was that garbage?

racism

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

So the Dutch are gonna try to Maltese Cat their way to the final.

Nice, nice.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

:qq:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

No I meant like, isn’t there a rule against literally just lying down on top of the ball? Especially in front of your own goal?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

No I meant like, isn’t there a rule against literally just lying down on top of the ball? Especially in front of your own goal?
I'm guessing it could be considered obstruction? Preventing the ball from being played at all seems like a natural foul.

Anyway I rewatched that moment, and it's a bit tricky to make out due to the angle and the kind of low-res footage I've got here, but it looks to me like this is what happened: first the Japanese player lost her footing, then Van der Gragt as she stretched out a leg to reach the ball, and as she was already on her knees and about to fall over the ball rolled toward Van der Gragt (maybe propelled by a final touch by the Japanese player, I can't really tell). She didn't look like making contact with the ball except for it bumping against her knees, and it rolled under her just as she was already bent over. As it did, though, she promptly raised herself up again, but as this was going on another Japanese player was kicking her from behind and I expect that's why the ref called a foul. While I suppose it's possible that Van der Gragt did deliberately fall over to shield the ball, I'm not convinced she did - especially because of her reaction. And yes, she did fall over a second time, but that was after being kicked (again) by that Japanese player and more importantly after the referee had whistled. And it should be stressed that at no point before the whistle did Van der Gragt actually lie on top of the ball - if those two Japanese players around her had kept both their heads and their balance (and maybe if Spitse and Van Lunteren hadn't been standing right next to Van der Gragt), they could've knocked the ball away from her.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
John_Terry_fish_flop.gif

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

I also think it's debatable whether the ref was wrong to award a penalty, given Miedema's real goal-scoring opportunity and the Japanese player's body shape, with her arms stretched wide like that:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Obstruction is only a foul if the player obstructing can’t play the ball. Otherwise everyone who ever shepherded a long ball out of play would be committing a foul.

I think the only foul you could actually call on Van der Gragt in that situation would have been dangerous play — it seems bizarre and I don’t know when I’ve ever seen it called, but according to the rules if you put yourself deliberately into a position where you are in danger, you can be called for it.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
https://twitter.com/RichJLaverty/status/1143816059922845696

Uh oh, England

Weedle
May 31, 2006

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

Sombrerotron posted:

I also think it's debatable whether the ref was wrong to award a penalty, given Miedema's real goal-scoring opportunity and the Japanese player's body shape, with her arms stretched wide like that:

It's a stone cold penalty. That's exactly the situation in which you see players tucking their arms tightly by their side in order to mot give a penalty away.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

General Probe posted:

It's a stone cold penalty. That's exactly the situation in which you see players tucking their arms tightly by their side in order to mot give a penalty away.

The defender was in the process of doing just that.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

General Probe posted:

That screenshot is very misleading, if you watch it in motion it isn’t so clear cut

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
I dont know if someone has a gif of it but I just watched the replay and it still looks like she splays her arms out.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

She’s very close to the ball, like a yard away, which is why her arms are outstretched. They’re still outstretched and it’s still a penalty. Ref was right there, saw it clearly, had no doubt about it.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Can't believe that Twitter journo coughed into an envelope and sent it to the England camp.

Either way that doesn't sound good. The defence was extremely iffy against Cameroon (many people seem to have argued that it was because they were shaken up by what was going on, idk about that) but everything I've watched seems to suggest that Bright and Houghton are probably still the best options they have. RIP England, conquered by Vikings once again.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I'm sad I don't have any World Cup matches to watch today, but I've already put in my time off and made reservations at my local sports bar to watch the US v. France game on Friday.

Also a little sad it's the US and Europe for the rest of the way, but I'm glad to see that European teams as a whole are all getting much better pretty quickly. The deeper things are the more fun the major tournaments will be. Plus, every team except the US has Olympic qualification to fight for, and only two or three will make it. It'll really suck for France if the US wins Friday, since they'd then be out of the Tokyo Olympics too.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I would imagine UEFA will make changes to that soon enough, but it would be a real bummer for France to go from joint favorites as hosts, to missing out on a major tournament entirely.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

habeasdorkus posted:

It'll really suck for France if the US wins Friday, since they'd then be out of the Tokyo Olympics too.

how does this work?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footb...n%27s_World_Cup

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

how does this work?

UEFA is using this tournament as its Olympic qualifier, so only the top three European teams here qualify for the next Olympics. There are seven European teams left, so the ones that lose in the quarterfinals are out of the Olympics.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

how does this work?

The top three finishing European teams make it to the Olympics. I'm not sure what the tiebreakers would have been, but it won't matter since European teams will be at least three out of the four ranked finishers. Should the US get bounced by France, though, there's gonna be something for the third place match participants to play for since the women's national teams treat the Olympics as a big, big deal.*

* My recollection from the 2011/2012 and 2015/2016 cycles is that the World Cup is 1a and the Olympics is 1b and basically everything else is like 3 or worse. I know at the very least the USWNT takes it hella seriously and were deeply embarrassed by going out to Sweden in the quarterfinals during the Rio games.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
https://twitter.com/ErickFernandez/status/1143597136988332035

I was talking poo poo about USWNT itt before but this is just awesome

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
^^^ :allears:

habeasdorkus posted:

The top three finishing European teams make it to the Olympics. I'm not sure what the tiebreakers would have been, but it won't matter since European teams will be at least three out of the four ranked finishers.

Looks like the final standings use the same tiebreaker scheme as the group stages (points-->GD-->GF), just broken up based on where you were eliminated. I'm just basing that off of this, so it could be entirely different for the WWC because lol FIFA.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 26, 2019

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Terminally Bored posted:

https://twitter.com/ErickFernandez/status/1143597136988332035

I was talking poo poo about USWNT itt before but this is just awesome

Pinoe might not be the world class player she used to be, but she's still loving awesome. US Soccer shat it's diaper when she started kneeling during the anthem in 2016 and outright changed the rules to prohibit the protest.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Arsecast does episodes occasionally about the Arsenal women's team, and in the most recent one they were discussing goalkeeping in the World Cup and claimed that most professional clubs don't have full-time professional goalkeeping coaches. Not sure if that's true but it seemed relevant to the discussion we were having itt about goalkeeping many moons ago.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

How many people in this thread follow a domestic women's league? Or even have a domestic league to follow?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Milan have done a really great job promoting their women’s team since they bought it this year. I only managed to catch a few games this year, though. If I had the time I’d probably try to watch more. It’s difficult living in the wrong country.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm vaguely aware that there's a women's league in Scotland and that there's an Aberdeen FC but I've never watched any of the games. I think most of the good Scottish players are in other leagues.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

highme posted:

How many people in this thread follow a domestic women's league? Or even have a domestic league to follow?

I used to go to Boston Breakers games a couple times a year when I lived in Boston, but they unfortunately shut down. :(

Weedle
May 31, 2006

highme posted:

I follow Reign FC in the NWSL. My wife has family in Seattle and I think Rapinoe owns so it was an easy choice when I first got into soccer.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

habeasdorkus posted:

I used to go to Boston Breakers games a couple times a year when I lived in Boston, but they unfortunately shut down. :(
Another famous USSF shitshow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

NWSL games are relatively easy to watch in the US. They stream a lot of stuff on various apps and services, it's either free or something most people have access to, though the streaming quality leaves something to be desired. It's hard to get invested in a specific team unless you live near one, especially since most of us are so familiar with the national team players. If Rapinoe is playing against Heath I'm not gonna pick a side.

I follow the Arsenal women pretty closely but it's pretty difficult to watch their games. I've only been able to find a few decent streams.